Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tsa
Feb 3, 2014

krampster2 posted:

Thanks for the link and tips, sorry but should have mentioned I'm in Australia. From what I know the worst punishment you can receive is a fine, which Uber supposedly pays for. Over here a taxi plate can cost up to half a million dollars, so drivers make very little. When your only overheads are fuel and repairs surely you could do pretty drat well?

Uber and the like are terrible for drivers, people who think they are making money doing it have not heard of things like risk, taxes, opportunity cost, insurance, and depreciation. Or daddy is paying for their expenses and fuel. The sort of driving you do is murder on a car, and since most of the time they require people to have (or the city requires) newish cars, you are beating the poo poo out of an expensive car and massively depreciating it's value vs. normal driving. And in many areas the cities are really starting to crack down on what amounts to a company blatantly flaunting the law by pretending their taxi company isn't a taxi company because a silicon valley geek came up with a new word for it. If a taxi plate costs that much why should you be able to behave like a taxi, even part-time, without paying it?

Uber makes a bunch of money by passing on all the risks and costs of a taxi company to gullible young kids, is basically the short of it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uber_%28company%29#Australia

Seems like most aussie states are going to make the company actually follow the laws, so it's probably not going to last much longer in its current form anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Original_Z posted:

It seems like Uber has a bad habit of staying in a city even when the government tries to shut it down. Looks like they've found a more effective way to block them!

http://consumerist.com/2015/05/06/uber-halts-operations-in-kansas-after-legislature-votes-to-mandate-background-checks-insurance-coverage/

As soon as they require any kind of responsibility, they get the hell out of there! What a scummy company.

Hah, and 'can no longer operate' as if they are being banned instead of being treated like every other taxi company in the state. Why in the gently caress shouldn't someone driving in a commercial capacity with passengers not have to go through all the hoops simply because they are using an app?

Metacognition posted:

I don't do Uber but several friends have told me that you won't make much of a profit until you build up a reputation, which takes a few months.

Yea, "profit" until they realize that gas isn't the only expense, how much wear and tear on a taxi costs, and how much worse self-employment tax is than a w-2. Looking around you clear slightly higher than minimum wage if you just focus on the busiest times, but even that isn't accounting for things like how dangerous the job is or the possibility of getting the poo poo sued out of you since it's a huge legal grey area (where it isn't flat out illegal).

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Imaduck posted:

And...? Lots of folks would be happy with somewhat interesting jobs that pay better than Denny's. People who work at Denny's, for example.

It's the same pay as Denny's except you need to purchase an expensive car just to have the privileged of working. Ignoring the all of legal and personal risks a driver is taking, the legal gray zone (where it's not already outlawed) and a billion other things. It's weird how many left leaning people support such an awful and exploitative business model. Also :lol: at the glorification of taxi driving into an "interesting" job.

e:

Armagnac posted:

I was just in Cannes, and Uber Drivers had come down from Paris to deal with the overflow for the festival.

UberPop was dirt cheap, as only 4-6 euros for a 5 min drive, (with 3 people cheaper than the bus) and even the black cars were more reasonable than the Taxis, while always providing water and acting like your own personal private driver. We were staying a bit further out, and basically uber made that a complete non-issue. Saving us ~100 euros a day on rent, while only spending an extra ~10-20 euros on transportation per day.

So much cheaper than in NYC too. Apparently the legality of Uber is grey in France though, but holy crap compared to the shittiness of french cabs I'm used to... it was huge. Also Drivers seemed genuinely happy. Getting any job in France is a non-trivial matter, so the idea that you can just work whenever you feel like it was really cool to most of the drivers I met. And the Black Cars, while costing the same as a Cab, was usually an infinity or a mercedes, something super fancy.

I have no idea about the economics of it.

There's no doubting it's definitely a good option for the passengers in a lot of places, if you don't mind supporting such an exploitative company.

tsa fucked around with this message at 16:56 on May 25, 2015

• Locked thread