Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eskaton
Aug 13, 2014

FilthyImp posted:

Keep in mind this is the company headed by a dude that said a variation on 'Driverless cars? gently caress yeah I want those. Why pay people when a computer can do it? Oh, our current drivers??? Well I'm sure they'll find other jobs. You know how it is when technology innovates and whatnot!"

Fuckyou.text

Luddism was dumb in the 19th century and still is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eskaton
Aug 13, 2014

Chuu posted:

The parallels to today's economy are incredibly obvious.

Except in this case the labor is being replaced by computers and not toiling laborers. Those poor drivers are out of a job I guess?

Eskaton
Aug 13, 2014

Keldoclock posted:

Is it really though? I think it might be more like "the toiling laborers have been moved to somewhere, in another nation, where we cannot see them". And its like, the human suffering stays the same and justs gets poured into fewer people. So instead of 100,000 disgruntled cab drivers, you get 1000 slaves mining wolfram with rusty picks and a gun pointed at them all day.
A bunch of automated cars probably require less resources over their lifetime than humans over their lifetime.

• Locked thread