Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MisterTurtle
Jul 10, 2001

Cecil Rhodes owns your life.

Uncle Jam posted:

Boston has the worst cab service of any large american city. Like, its horrid by many magnitudes. My top 5 list of 'oh god I almost died' is all taxicab rides and 3 of those were in Boston. Many of the cabs don't even have working seatbelts, they're really poo poo.
As another poster mentioned it has improved a bit in the past few years but on the whole they're still severely lacking. Many cabbies in Boston used to (or maybe still) outright refuse to bring people to certain areas of the city such as East Boston late at night simply because it was inconvenient. I've spent some time in SF and their taxi system was a complete disaster as well.

While I don't dispute the way Uber treats its drivers is ethically questionable such services would never have come into existence if the current taxi system actually worked. For years the taxis in most cities refused to adapt and improve standards - in many cities (Boston included) taxis didn't even have the capability to accept cards until somewhat recently. No one wants to call for a cab, be placed on hold for 20 minutes and then wonder if a driver is ever actually going to show up. The taxi industry brought this 'disruption' onto itself by refusing to adapt and improve so now they've got to figure out a way to survive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread