Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz

Tautologicus posted:

Find me the conglomerate that owns all taxi companies in the world, or even the US. Or even a state. Or even a city. Monopolies create exploitative conditions, and that's what Uber aims to have in the transportation industry, if they get their way (which they won't, but it takes effort to oppose them). They are not innovators, they're taking advantage of a situation where regulation and public opinion has not caught up to what is possible through current (and common) technology.

Where do you live that taxi companies actually compete with each other? I've never seen them as anything more than a protected oligopoly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Tautologicus posted:

Well they don't work with each other. Boston. I never said they did compete, but they are all separate companies in the same industry, so whatever that makes them, that's what they do.

I have a handful of cab companies to choose from too but they all provide criminally terrible service and have no incentive to improve. I don't believe my city operates on a medallion system either.

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Kings Of Calabria posted:

The difference I see there is that if enough people had showed up to local or state held meetings,or leaned on MassDOT (or whoever is it), or mailed their Senators, maybe some of those taxi problems would be fixed. I'm not saying it would be easy but at least I would have the option and my neighbors who might agree or disagree would have their say too.

Taking your dollars elsewhere a.k.a. "voting with your wallet" is an infinitely more effective way of bringing change to an industry. Always has been.

And I honestly hope Taxi companies are up to the challenge as I'd rather see both exist than just Uber.

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Laserface posted:

so you totally didnt get that he can afford to earn minimum wage due to having plenty of money already, and it was a better work/lifestyle balance for him? cool.

I'm glad your dad is doing something he enjoys and earning some scratch for it.

• Locked thread