Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
I live in an area of 250k people and we have near a dozen companies with fleets of 10 or more cabs, and a couple dozen independents too. The biggest is Yellow Cab unsurprisingly, but there seems to be plenty of competition. OTOH this city doesn't have a medallion system, just nontransferable permits with reasonable requirements (commercial license/insurance, quarterly independent mechanical inspections, background checks, clearly posted fares and an accurate meter, etc.). Limos (sounds more like it would apply to Uber) have slightly fewer requirements (no posted fares, no meter).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

DeathSandwich posted:

So what's the reason that it costs so much to buy a taxi medallion in the bigger US cities? It just seems like that sort of arbitrarily expensive hoop to jump through in order to create false scarcity to drive up rate prices for taxis.

Your cause/effect is backwards. It's scarcity that causes the expense, not the other way around. Cities only allow X number of medallions, so if you want one you gotta buy one off some other guy and compete with a thousand other people who also want it.

mlmp08 posted:

So this thread still hasn't had a single actual uber driver post in it right?

The fourth loving reply, dude:

Disgusting Coward posted:

You'd think that, but you're going to be weaving through every speed-bump laden, potholed, winding residential shithole you can think of, which means the repairs on your car mount up. Exhaust pipes, suspension springs, wheel bearings and air filters seem to be the most common ones, plus your interior gets beaten the gently caress up in a surprisingly short space of time. Oh and the little hosed-up microclimate your car develops from people getting in and out non-stop plays merry hell with your electrics, so you're going to be bulk-buying vehicle bulbs, heating coils and fuses. Because you're perpetually driving in the busier urban areas your risk of an accident is fuckin' sky-high too, and because you're not a "proper" taxi driver the police won't really help you and your insurance company will invariably squirm out of paying, even if you're not at fault. I got t-boned in a totally not-my-loving-fault accident that I caught on camera with five witnesses AND a police report and their insurance company still took eighteen months to pay out because they were trying to hit some wonky rear end "oh but you're only registered for business and passenger transport not being a hire car" palaver.

People are more willing to gently caress you over if you're an Uber driver, too. Don't get me wrong, 95% of people are nice as pie, and most of the remainder aren't malicious - just ignorant. But dudes won't no-show too many taxis from Fred's Taxi Company for fear of getting banned, and the shady nature of the average taxi driver means people tend not to want to gently caress with "proper" taxi drivers too much - nobody wants to antagonise a company of 20-50 unemployable weirdos who are perpetually prowling round looking for you and have the backing of the local authority. As a single Uber hipster, you don't really have that mob/legal protection. Plus people will hold that Uber rating over you like they think it's the Sword of Damocles.

And, for that matter, the fifth:

Biodome posted:

I've been doing it for a few weeks and haven't had any problems. I don't do it for a living though, just supplement. Couple hours here and there, if I work weekends I can clear $350 a week for a few hours of driving. It's fun. I like it.

• Locked thread