Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Chuu posted:

There are suburbanites around Chicago that use Uber to get home from the City after a night out. Think ~$25ish fares to get from Lincoln Park to Lincolnwood or ~$35 to Niles.

Do Uber drives like these types of rides, or is it a major pain in the rear end and they only do it because Uber hides the destination from you until it's too late?

Fares are based on distance and time, much like taxis, right? If so, I can't figure out what the hell drivers actually like. I've had them get pissed off at me for taking a 5 minute fare for $8, and I've had them get pissed off at me for a $50 fare to the end of suburban-hell-on-earth. I think what they want is a big fare that will get them to a place where they can immediately pick up another passenger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

tsa posted:

There's no doubting it's definitely a good option for the passengers in a lot of places, if you don't mind supporting such an exploitative company.

If you mind supporting an exploitative company, you shouldn't use a taxi service either. Their shenanigans are often just as bad (although usually in a different way).

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Choadmaster posted:

I live in an area of 250k people and we have near a dozen companies with fleets of 10 or more cabs, and a couple dozen independents too. The biggest is Yellow Cab unsurprisingly, but there seems to be plenty of competition. OTOH this city doesn't have a medallion system, just nontransferable permits with reasonable requirements (commercial license/insurance, quarterly independent mechanical inspections, background checks, clearly posted fares and an accurate meter, etc.). Limos (sounds more like it would apply to Uber) have slightly fewer requirements (no posted fares, no meter).

Medallions are the big problem. If you removed those, and exclusivity to the airport (either by random lottery, or by restricting access to a single company) there could be actual, fair competition.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

whoredog posted:

SLC, UT International Airport does not permit uber or lyft pickups. Sadly, all the yellow cabs are downtown late at night and airport people typically have to wait quite a while.

How can they forbid it? Surely they can just use the standard passenger pickup lane, just like if they were some random joe picking up a friend from the airport.

If that's an intractable problem for Uber and similar services, they're well hosed.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

My friend just got a job as a licensed black car driver here in Calgary. As a result, he has actual commercial insurance, an actual commercial driver's license, he's driving other people's vehicles that he doesn't have to maintain himself, and there's no legal or tax-related grey areas involved. Why drive for a questionable company like Uber that, let's be honest, cuts some corners, when you can just drive for a normal car service and make roughly the same amount of money with a lot less stress and potential for bad things happening?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

mastershakeman posted:

Yep, it's just like Groupon where the real customers are the businesses. Once enough business/drivers try out the service and realize it actually hurts them in the long run, they're screwed.

I'd also like to add OpenTable to the list of lovely businesses like that, which I hope die in a fire very soon.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Not a Children posted:

What's so bad about OpenTable? I like online reservations.

I like online reservations, but there are other systems which are less scammy toward their customers and actually provide, in my opinion, a better service (you don't need to call six loving times to confirm my reservation, OpenTable!). A lot like Groupon, they rely on locking businesses in before they realize how badly they're being hosed. Luckily, I think more people are starting to figure it out, but I purposefully avoid reserving on OpenTable if I can.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

oliwan posted:

anyway, every time someone proudly boasts about paying as little taxes as possible/ scamming taxes, one should really stop listening. It was my fault for reading that whole depressing posts.

Taking advantage of tax credits and ways to lower your taxes as much as possible legally, is simply common sense. Are you some kind of a moron?

Laserface: is there a specific reason why your Dad chose Uber instead of working part time for an established car service with its own fleet? I ask, because that's what my buddy's doing right now (well, full time, because he wants the hours) and he's making way more money, and doesn't bear the financial responsibility for fixing the vehicles if they break. He's thinking of becoming an owner-operator, though not with Uber, and I'm curious what other people's experiences have been like.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Tautologicus posted:

Camry or escape hybrids. Where do you see priuses???

Literally everywhere I've been that has taxis in the past year? There are occasionally other vehicles in addition to priuses (props to Spain for E-Class taxis!) but Prius taxis are a pretty common sight everywhere I've been recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Tautologicus posted:

Europe then? Never seen a prius taxi in the US. Maybe i am not paying attention.

They get ~10 mpg more in the city than the ones i mentioned so itd be a big deal i think.

In Europe, yes, but also the local fleet in Calgary (and we love our oil industry!).

They really need to make something like the Crown Vic/Towncar in a modern, hybrid format. Sure, it's like driving a couch, but it can fit an absurd amount of luggage, and it's really large and comfortable. I wouldn't buy one to drive, but I'd pay a premium to take one as a taxi/sedan.

• Locked thread