Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
What if you took the gooniest game of the modern era and combined it with a 1,500 year old classic? Well...

Warhammer 40k: Regicide comes with two main game modes - Regicide and Classic.

In Regicide mode, you move pieces just like in normal chess, but then get a chance to use abilities or items on your units to swing the battle in your favor. Each unit also has it's own stats. The game's campaign will be in this mode and will feature unit progression and customization.

Classic mode is Chess proper, with en passant, castling, and such. Pretty much exactly like good ol' Battle Chess, but with guns and chain swords. Litter the board with the blood of your enemies!

CHECKMATE, YA GROT :orks:

Right now the game is in :siren:Early Access:siren: , but is very playable right now. You can play both modes against the AI or in multiplayer. There is asyncrhonous and live play, and you can have multiple games going at once. The game is allegedly only going to be in EA for a few months, as they slowly roll out the campaign mode and fix bugs/issues. It will be coming to iOS as well, and well allow for cross platform play.

I've only really been playing old school chess mode, and I'd say it's worth it for that if you want to scratch that old Battle Chess itch. You can get it on Steam for 13 bucks here.

Add Dre2Dee2 on steam if any of you guys wanna play some games!

Dre2Dee2 fucked around with this message at 15:20 on May 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subhu Man
Mar 20, 2004

When stalking tigers it's positively anaerobic to anticipate failiure.
(HBT; Outtakes, 5:32)
I'm playing this on Regicide mode since when I saw it on a steam sale. I am 7 and 1 so far against humans as this game punishes moves that are instinctual to chess experts. Sure - take that "undefended" bishop surrounded by a knight and 2 pawns, it's not like 3 melee attacks will kill you... I won my last game against someone whose chess is better than mine when they walked their king up to my castle to "threaten" it. The king then got his face rearranged by concentrated heavy bolter fire. Loving it. :)

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
It's incredible (and stupid) what Games Workshop is doing with their licenses, holy gently caress.

\/\/\/ There are so many forgettable Warhammer games that look like they can be played on mobile phones that I have lost count. I'm wondering if I can get the rights to make a copy of Pokemon Mii, but you pet and feed Space Marines instead.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 15:39 on May 9, 2015

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Firstborn posted:

It's incredible (and stupid) what Games Workshop is doing with their licenses, holy gently caress.

Isn't there like 6 or so different warhammer games coming out/recently released, at least? There's the Total war one, this, the one set in that one warpstone-afflicted town, the battlefleet gothic one, the DoW one that hasn't been announced yet, Warhammer Quest and Warhammer Armageddon. And I'm sure I've forgotten at LEAST one.

Edit: Not sure if I should count Space Hulk since it came out near the end of last year.

Edit 2: ^^^^^I remember there was a semi-sort of Moba 40K game, and an awful lane-combat thing, but I can't remember the names of them.

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 15:41 on May 9, 2015

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

evilmiera posted:

Isn't there like 6 or so different warhammer games coming out/recently released, at least? There's the Total war one, this, the one set in that one warpstone-afflicted town, the battlefleet gothic one, the DoW one that hasn't been announced yet, Warhammer Quest and Warhammer Armageddon. And I'm sure I've forgotten at LEAST one.

Edit: Not sure if I should count Space Hulk since it came out near the end of last year.

Edit 2: ^^^^^I remember there was a semi-sort of Moba 40K game, and an awful lane-combat thing, but I can't remember the names of them.

You've missed the best one: Space Hulk Deathwing. Not only are the trailers the most :krad: 40K trailers ever, but it's also developed by the same guys as the absolutely insane EYE Divine Cybermancy! And seeing as EYE basically was 40K with the serial numbers filed off they're probably the single best fit for a 40K FPS!

Behold the majesty of mariachi Space Marines:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YROOgLD-wtU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

oscarthewilde posted:

You've missed the best one: Space Hulk Deathwing. Not only are the trailers the most :krad: 40K trailers ever, but it's also developed by the same guys as the absolutely insane EYE Divine Cybermancy! And seeing as EYE basically was 40K with the serial numbers filed off they're probably the single best fit for a 40K FPS!

So, we're up to 9. We just need 1 more and we can officially call this market oversaturated. Edit:vvv Well, it IS a GW property, so sure.

Edit 2: You know what I would actually want? The most boring, near-tabletop conversion simulator you could craft, if only because I've no painting skills and can't be bothered to learn the rules.

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 16:02 on May 9, 2015

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Blood Bowl 2 kinda counts?

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

oscarthewilde posted:

If you made a list of music tracts least likely to sync with 40k, mariachi would definitely be up there on my personal list.

More on topic, why are we getting grimdark space chess instead of other, more awesome titles like say, an imperial guard game starting LT. Mira? Stop dancing around with these side projects and make some serious bloody games GW! :orks:

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Klaus88 posted:

If you made a list of music tracts least likely to sync with 40k, mariachi would definitely be up there on my personal list.

More on topic, why are we getting grimdark space chess instead of other, more awesome titles like say, an imperial guard game starting LT. Mira? Stop dancing around with these side projects and make some serious bloody games GW! :orks:

Yo that Swiss mariachi rap track is sweet as hell, and was a kickass surprise in the Deathwing trailer

I think THQ were the main guys facilitating the development of all those Warhammer games, and well, they were on the wrong end of an Exterminatus...

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Beyond the tabletop conversion-like game, and the battlefleet gothic game we are actually getting, I just want something that finally has a main protagonist race other than humans again. Yes, Firewarrior had a LOT of problems, but a game where you play as a mechanized commander of the Tau would be awesome. A swarm-based game with orks as protagonists going around brawling with every other group for loot and fun times? A stealth game starring the Eldar and their manipulative ways? Come on now, if you're going to throw money at a chess game, why not some of those ideas?

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

I'm surprised Eldar havent really gotten that kind of game. They seem popular enough...

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

I just want an Inquisition-based L.A. Noire.

Subhu Man
Mar 20, 2004

When stalking tigers it's positively anaerobic to anticipate failiure.
(HBT; Outtakes, 5:32)

Firstborn posted:

\/\/\/ There are so many forgettable Warhammer games that look like they can be played on mobile phones that I have lost count. I'm wondering if I can get the rights to make a copy of Pokemon Mii, but you pet and feed Space Marines instead.

This game is actually intended to be played on mobile phones as well as PC. The graphics are not that impressive but this is the first modern version of battle chess I have found with actually kickass capture animations. I would have got it even if it was not a G W licence.

Also; your space marine has taken a dump, go clean it up. :p

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

THE BAR posted:

I just want an Inquisition-based L.A. Noire.

Every button is just PURGE

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

evilmiera posted:

"The DoW one that hasn't been announced?" What now?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Dr Christmas posted:

"The DoW one that hasn't been announced?" What now?

DoW3 is basically guaranteed to show up at this coming E3 or never.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

evilmiera posted:

Edit 2: You know what I would actually want? The most boring, near-tabletop conversion simulator you could craft, if only because I've no painting skills and can't be bothered to learn the rules.
You don't really want that. It's not actually a good game and any sensible person would start from a clean slate with a better design.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Elukka posted:

You don't really want that. It's not actually a good game and any sensible person would start from a clean slate with a better design.

I really do. If only to teach me the actual rules and stats of the game proper so every match I try to play doesn't turn into me constantly checking cheat sheets or the codex :(

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Dawn of War 3 and a 40k game that had a player/DM mode like the original NWN series had are two games I really really want to see, but of course will never loving happen

They do seem to be porting over every board game they let die off though so I wouldnt mind seeing a Necromunda or Epic game at some point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013
Or, you know, an actual 40k turn based game.

• Locked thread