Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dogcrash truther
Theres many things to like about cops and soldiers, and i just can't decide. This is a toughie. Help me out. DO NOT say mean things about cops or soldiers in this thread, and do NOT be sarcastic or ironic. It is ok to talk poo poo about soldiers, but only to make cops look better, and vice versa, and you still have to make clear that you love them both, you just love one kind more than the other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogcrash truther
I think soldiers are probably braver than cops, but then again, maybe that's just because of propaganda.

dogcrash truther
Full disclosure: I'm leaning heavily towards soldiers here, but I figure theres probably some good arguments for cops I'm just not thinking of

dogcrash truther
Also, to be fair, to I actually love bravery? I mean, I admire it, but I guess if you ask me what I love, what I love is empathy, and by a slim margin I think maybe cops have more empathy than soldiers. Would love it if someone would speak up about this. I'm feeling confused.

mags

I am a congenital optimist.
thing about cops is that they are more likely to help pets get down from out of trees they are stuck in and that heavily increases the :3: factor in the ranking

paul_soccer12 posted:

everyone in the idf must die

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)
dogcrash truther
Soldiers definitely have cooler items. At least until recently. Now cops have some soldier items, plus they have their own special items.

dogcrash truther

CAT BRUSH posted:

thing about cops is that they are more likely to help pets get down from out of trees they are stuck in and that heavily increases the :3: factor in the ranking

Woah...yeah...never heard of a soldier getting a pet down from a tree. +1 cops

dogcrash truther
Cops intervene to prevent domestic abuse, which is admirable. I don't think soldiers are likely to do that, because they're doing other things.

mags

also cops have cool looking badges so there is that. soldiers need to carry chromed badges to even this out

paul_soccer12 posted:

alnilam

have you considered..... firefighters?

morning wood
i think you are forgetting about soldier cops. they should be included in the mix too

dogcrash truther
When I think about a cop...I just...I don't feel the love, really. I don't imagine a cop cradling me in her arms and stroking my hair. That doesn't seem like something a cop would do. I am able to imagine asoldier lady doing that, however, and that makes me think I love soldiers more.

mags

morning wood posted:

i think you are forgetting about soldier cops. they should be included in the mix too

you would think that would be the best of both worlds but what you get is a creature that is less than the sum of their parts

paul_soccer12 posted:

dogcrash truther

morning wood posted:

I was thinking about this but really, they're just a kind of cop, more than they are a kind of soldier (correct me if I'm wrong!)

dogcrash truther
Can anyone explain to me why it's easy for me to imagine soldiers being tender towards the people they love, but not cops.

dogcrash truther
I think it may have something to do with foucault's distinction between juridical and bio power.

mags

soldier cops do soldier things and cop things but the things that they do from each world are all really pretty boring and neutral so you don't have soldier cops helping the elderly or going on patrol beyond a military base, plus you don't have them doing rad missions where they can jump through a busted door and act super macho with a gun mounted on a flashlight saying really cool commands to their team mates and doign that cool handsign where they tell them to move forward

paul_soccer12 posted:

dogcrash truther
Another thing: which cam e first: soldiers or cops. I think soldiers.

dogcrash truther

CAT BRUSH posted:

soldier cops do soldier things and cop things but the things that they do from each world are all really pretty boring and neutral so you don't have soldier cops helping the elderly or going on patrol beyond a military base, plus you don't have them doing rad missions where they can jump through a busted door and act super macho with a gun mounted on a flashlight saying really cool commands to their team mates and doign that cool handsign where they tell them to move forward

holy poo poo, that hand sign is so fuckin amazing. love that handsign. or when they hold their hands up with a number of fingers to indicate how many hostiles there are, thats' really cool too, and i love it

mags

dogcrash truther posted:

Can anyone explain to me why it's easy for me to imagine soldiers being tender towards the people they love, but not cops.

cops have to deal with a lot of bad stuff and so when they lean in to kiss their loved ones those bad things come to mind like the 20+ hours of reports he has to do or the one time he pulled over a rude driver

paul_soccer12 posted:

dogcrash truther
SWAT cops might use those handsigns too though

mags

dogcrash truther posted:

SWAT cops might use those handsigns too though

but i think those cops are soldiers in disguise

paul_soccer12 posted:

morning wood
whoa whoa whoa soldier cops do totally rad stuff when they get deployed. they get like super awesome expensive schnazzy military gear and learn nifty hand signals and ride around in ARMORED yes thats right i said ARMORED convoys.

dogcrash truther
i feel like cops tell you how to do good, and soldiers tell you not to do bad, so when they come home the cops are still giving orders but the soldiers dont have to give orders unless you try and put an IED in the driveway or soemthing

mags

morning wood posted:

whoa whoa whoa soldier cops do totally rad stuff when they get deployed. they get like super awesome expensive schnazzy military gear and learn nifty hand signals and ride around in ARMORED yes thats right i said ARMORED convoys.

ARMORED convoys that tear up the roads that costs taxpayers money to repair, not very nice

paul_soccer12 posted:

dogcrash truther

morning wood posted:

oh wait are we talking about Military Police or the National Guard here

morning wood
i was talking about military police (security forces)

dogcrash truther

morning wood posted:

i was talking about military police (security forces)

dont they just keep the law on bases and what not

mags

morning wood posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZGnNICFVnI

paul_soccer12 posted:

dogcrash truther
Cop: Make me dinner. Clean your room. Do your taxes.
Soldier: When you use the blender it makes me frightened, and I can't go in your bedroom because there's a coke can on the floor and we dont have abomb disposal unit. But do what you want.

alnilam

dogcrash truther posted:

think about our exposure to the private lives of soldiers. mostly heartwarming videos of a soldier's homecoming, embracing the spouse and the child they haven't seen in a year :patriot:

now think about what we know about cops home lives. Its mostly from family matters. while karl is clearly a loving father we see fewer images overall of tenderness, more of funny family antics and situational comedy

dogcrash truther
There's a lot more propaganda about how soldiers are good than there is about how cops are good, I think, so I'm afraid that maybe I'm getting "spun."

morning wood

dogcrash truther posted:

dont they just keep the law on bases and what not

security forces it a catchall. there are different functions within the career field but all of them are deployable. so when they are here in the US sure thats typically what they do but overseas they do the aforementioned badass things.

e: there are exceptions. for example im stationed at an ICBM base so they have a section dedicated to going out to the missile field to secure missile sites while maintenance is going on, driving in convoys to get parts to and from the field, and responding to alarm situations at the sites.

morning wood fucked around with this message at 16:07 on May 5, 2015

Ace of Baes
soldiers who sshootunarmed are a lot more likely to go to prison for 20 years

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

dogcrash truther
Like it's still ok to have a soldier movie about a soldier guy where's he's a big hero and cares about his country, but if you have a cop movie the cops have to be flawed and dirty and cheat on their wives and stuff

mags

i feel this thread is on precipice. if we stray to far towards the negative it may tip over into oblivion. choose your posts wisely my friends

paul_soccer12 posted:

morning wood

lol

mags

i highly recommend people watch dragnet on netflix to get a greater appreciation for the police

paul_soccer12 posted:

Chill la Chill

Don't lose your gay

are we talking 11b/300 soldiers or any mos? cuz otherwise lol at soldiers being doctors and engineers and other useful things cops can't do

Apparently I'm #1 Kotori fan

thank you matoi and vanisher for the sigs, lovely dad for the cool av

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogcrash truther

alnilam posted:

think about our exposure to the private lives of soldiers. mostly heartwarming videos of a soldier's homecoming, embracing the spouse and the child they haven't seen in a year :patriot:

now think about what we know about cops home lives. Its mostly from family matters. while karl is clearly a loving father we see fewer images overall of tenderness, more of funny family antics and situational comedy

i guess for americans, when soldiers are home they're not on the job exactly, but cops come home and then the next day they have to go back out and cop some more. must be tense. I imagine cops at home sitting in dark dens, angrily watching tv, the flickering light illuminating the stack of beer cans next to the chair, dreading the next day

• Locked thread