Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
:siren: Rocket League is coming on July 7th 2015! Free for PS+ members in July, $19.99 for non-Plus and Steam users:siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hApsoyO3qiA

Rocket League is an exciting game that combines parts of soccer (futbol if you're a wanker), go-karts, and demolition derbies. The object of the game is to get the big, giant ball deep into your opponent's territory and penetrate their goal and to stop your opponent from doing the same to yours. The game follows the same rules from the first iteration on Playstation 3 "Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket Powered Battle Cars" but boosts the graphics up a bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NC82dWrFqCE

What stands out about this game versus other games that share a similar minigame is that you've got a rocket booster built onto the car. How cool is that? An industry first. You compete in a closed arena with ramped walls and the ability to climb nearly all of the way to the top, this allows you to get some great angles on the ball whether offensively or defensively. Oh yeah, you hit the ball with your car. Another industry first. You've got a limited amount of boost but it does allow for some pretty wicked flying once you get good at it. The game is played in short, 5-minute matches of either 3v3, 2v2, or 1v1.

The full game will feature:

quote:

Major visual upgrade
Single-player Season mode
Car customization
Online and Local Splitscreen Multiplayer
Unlockable Vehicles, Arenas, and Customization Items
Dedicated gameplay servers
Broadcast-quality replay editor
Regular updates and content/ feature drops
Much, much more!

Here is a quick tutorial done by veteran Famiy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-VIC5xVhtE

And here is a highlight reel of a guy who is very very good, learning how to boost properly to propel yourself from the crazy angles will definitely make you an E-Progamer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdVmqssa5v4

News release from Playstation Blog 6/3/2015

quote:

The team here at Psyonix has been overwhelmed by the positive worldwide reaction to our upcoming action-sports game Rocket League. Which is why we want to give you all not one, but FOUR major pieces of information in a single announcement!

The first two are right there in the headline: Rocket League will be available for purchase on PlayStation Store July 7th, while Twisted Metal’s famous ice cream truck, Sweet Tooth, joins our roster of playable cars as a special unlockable vehicle exclusively on PS4! Watch our brand new trailer below for proof!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4iT0yZEwk8

What the headline doesn’t tell you is that Rocket League will also be one of the few games in history that supports PS4/ PC cross-play — meaning that owners of both the console version and the PC version will be able to team up or go head-to-head in the same matches when the game launches early next month!

And finally, we’re very proud to announce that Rocket League will be making an appearance at this year’s Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) and will be playable in near-finished form. Season Mode, splitscreen multiplayer, car customization, and Sweet Tooth himself will all be available to check out and enjoy all three days of the show. We can’t wait to see you drop by to enjoy it!

I know I say it in every post, but on behalf of the entire team at Psyonix, that you VERY MUCH for the continued sentiment, support, and suggestions during the development of this game. Without you, our sequel to Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars never would have happened, and for that, we are forever grateful.

checksin posted:

Soundtrack is up on Google Play:
https://play.google.com/store/music/album?id=Bucvnee4qfe55gadci4ebk6sy5e&tid=song-T27modke4zroo3ynagjgmty7ufi

Not recommended if you're driving near a soccer field full of kids and can't resist the urge to start chasing the ball with your car

:siren:Add your Steam/PSN profiles here to make friends!:siren:

:siren: Steam Group here!:siren:

:siren: There's also Camping the Stairs mumble server and a Discord community to hang out in. :siren:

cage-free egghead fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Mar 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

This game is so unreasonably fun for being utter chaos and frustration at hitting the jump button and flying past the ball you were trying your damnedest to tap at least a little bit.

TERRIBLE SHITLORD
Oct 20, 2005

MY NIGGA HAVE
YOU TRIED LSD
You should absolutely check out this game if you enjoy arcadey and fast paced sport/racing games. It's such a simple premise and yet ridiculously fun.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

This looks like a cool game and I am looking forward to whenever it hits steam.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Takoluka posted:

This game is so unreasonably fun for being utter chaos and frustration at hitting the jump button and flying past the ball you were trying your damnedest to tap at least a little bit.

9 times out of 10 that is the fault of shifting perspectives because of ball-camera.

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000
Someone who has skills at this game should put together a little primer on rad stuff you should be doing. I still don't really understand how people can stay in flight so long, but they seem to get way more utility out of boost then I do.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

This game is fun as gently caress and I will be buying it when it comes out. Played the PS4 beta nonstop, ignoring all my other games.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Doggles, I had a few games with you the other night. You're really good and I was hoping each match we'd get paired together. Didn't know you were a goon though!

TERRIBLE SHITLORD
Oct 20, 2005

MY NIGGA HAVE
YOU TRIED LSD

Campbell posted:

Someone who has skills at this game should put together a little primer on rad stuff you should be doing. I still don't really understand how people can stay in flight so long, but they seem to get way more utility out of boost then I do.

The key to being able to pull off those ridiculous flying shots is predicting where the ball is going to be 3 seconds before it is actually there. When you have a decent prediction of where and when the ball will bounce things become a whole lot easier (and more stylish) so just play the game, then play it some more and then a little bit more until you have a full understanding of the physics affecting the ball and yourself and you will be well on your way.

Speaking of physics I bumped into a very, very good player a week or so ago when I was streaming and highlighted the game https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kewXi3JYFtM Please excuse me shouting like some kind of idiot but I was terribly impressed with their ability to plan and execute poo poo that I barely pull off through sheer luck alone.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Catpiss Neverclean posted:

The key to being able to pull off those ridiculous flying shots is predicting where the ball is going to be 3 seconds before it is actually there. When you have a decent prediction of where and when the ball will bounce things become a whole lot easier (and more stylish) so just play the game, then play it some more and then a little bit more until you have a full understanding of the physics affecting the ball and yourself and you will be well on your way.

Speaking of physics I bumped into a very, very good player a week or so ago when I was streaming and highlighted the game https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kewXi3JYFtM Please excuse me shouting like some kind of idiot but I was terribly impressed with their ability to plan and execute poo poo that I barely pull off through sheer luck alone.

Ah, so you're 1000 Angry Bees! I had a few games with you on Friday or Saturday and knew you were a goon! I believe I played Day-Z some time ago too with you! Didn't run to into AstroPhzics though holy poo poo.

TERRIBLE SHITLORD
Oct 20, 2005

MY NIGGA HAVE
YOU TRIED LSD

Lblitzer posted:

Ah, so you're 1000 Angry Bees! I had a few games with you on Friday or Saturday and knew you were a goon! I believe I played Day-Z some time ago too with you! Didn't run to into AstroPhzics though holy poo poo.

Awesome! I will be streaming a lot more when the full release lands and intend on having a ranked team and any goons are completely welcome for some scrims. I will be picking up both the PS4 and Steam versions as not to exclude anyone.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
AMA going on right now with the devs.

http://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/357vds/official_rocket_league_ama_with_psyonix/

Will update with choice quotes.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Lblitzer posted:

AMA going on right now with the devs.

http://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/357vds/official_rocket_league_ama_with_psyonix/

Will update with choice quotes.

Where my choice quotes?

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Feenix posted:

Where my choice quotes?

Psyonix posted:

Certain maps with have versions that have different weather. But it isn't a stand-alone feature that you can customize any map with -- they are treated as another map. So, Mannfield, for example is selectable in its regular form from the map selection screen, but then right next to it would be Mannfield (Stormy) as another map selection.

Psyonix posted:

so, the beta was awesome, obvious question, when will the next beta take place?

Should be just a couple of weeks

Psyonix posted:

We are still finalizing it as we test different times of day/ weather effects. But it will be somewhere between 5 and 7. And all other arenas that we have post-release will ALWAYS be free. You will never pay for a new Arena/ Stadium in Rocket League. Ever.

Psyonix posted:

Off the top of our heads, though. The most immediate, most likely [DLC] would be stuff like new cars or decals or paint types or other customization items that would add to the personalization aspect of the game.

Psyonix posted:

We are definitely adding 4v4 public matches

Also, if you're already in beta 1, you're automatically in beta 2. No need to sign up again or anything :)

Psyonix posted:

There is definitely keeper training in the full game. We're trying to get the Beginner level one in for the next beta!

I love playing Goalie too, but we aren't currently planning to do anything like a car that's somehow better at goaltending. We considered it during development, but settled on everybody being on equal footing.

As for music - we're all about users playing their own music during the game. I'll have to forward this along to our audio department to see if there's a way we can auto detect it and disable menu music.

Psyonix posted:

In the early PC alpha we showed off a mutator system that allows you to play with a giant ball, low gravity, etc. I don't think that will be available for release but we'd like to bring it back in an update.

Psyonix posted:

We've taken a different approach for Rocket League. Our main focus for Rocket League is to allow people to customize their cars early and often. There will be a generous amount of options unlocked from the get-go. After that, you'll unlock one item per match. We did this so there would be a bountiful supply of customization options available!

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Get hype. I'm most excited for 4v4, but I would LOVE 1v1v1v1.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Lblitzer posted:

Doggles, I had a few games with you the other night. You're really good and I was hoping each match we'd get paired together. Didn't know you were a goon though!

Oh yes, definitely had some great matches together. Been busy recently, but I finally had time to put together a little highlight reel of my own last night.

https://www.facebook.com/WillBKingIII/videos/10101993631039338/?l=2910217672992103864

You make a very brief appearance at 4:06, and then I steal one of your goals in the stupidest way possible at 4:11 by missing a simple tap-in.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

God I hope the next beta has some of the customization options. Really looking forward to this.

Oh, and feel free to add me for when the next beta rolls around. I'm not great or anything, but I feel like I improved over the course of the first beta.

PSN: TotalSoth

TERRIBLE SHITLORD
Oct 20, 2005

MY NIGGA HAVE
YOU TRIED LSD
I'm pretty drat excited for Beta 2.0, hopefully we can get some goon games together!

icking fudiot
Jul 28, 2006

TotalHell posted:

God I hope the next beta has some of the customization options. Really looking forward to this.

Oh, and feel free to add me for when the next beta rolls around. I'm not great or anything, but I feel like I improved over the course of the first beta.

PSN: TotalSoth

No customization in beta 2, sorry!

To make you feel better, a new montage from our dev forums:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nbrg4n3iY8

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

icking fudiot posted:

No customization in beta 2, sorry!

To make you feel better, a new montage from our dev forums:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nbrg4n3iY8

D'aww. Is this second beta some more back-end testing that will look for all intents and purposes like beta 1, or will we be seeing a few new things on the front end?

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
It's nothing special or anything, especially compared to some of the crazy poo poo people pull off in other videos, but I was happy with this because it was the first time I had actually managed to do something effective with air boosting to lead to a goal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvOv4Jw41fo

this was still before I knew you could hit X again in the air to flip in a direction though.

Follow That Fish!
Mar 8, 2007
Chaser of the stray sea-life, clad in a trench and a fedora.

morallyobjected posted:

It's nothing special or anything, especially compared to some of the crazy poo poo people pull off in other videos, but I was happy with this because it was the first time I had actually managed to do something effective with air boosting to lead to a goal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvOv4Jw41fo

this was still before I knew you could hit X again in the air to flip in a direction though.

No need to dig your own hole there. I thought that was nice. :)

This was my own favourite play from the beta, even though I dash like a madman and miss the ball in the beginning. It turns into a pretty neat assist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qY3mnZoRbM

I love how the guy who scores reads the play pretty well too. Gets the full boost (after I crash into him) and then just zooms past all the opponents to slam the pass in. This is also why I love replays after goals - you can see what your teammates are doing.

Can't wait to play again, be it the next round of beta or the full release.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Follow That Fish! posted:

No need to dig your own hole there. I thought that was nice. :)

This was my own favourite play from the beta, even though I dash like a madman and miss the ball in the beginning. It turns into a pretty neat assist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qY3mnZoRbM

I love how the guy who scores reads the play pretty well too. Gets the full boost (after I crash into him) and then just zooms past all the opponents to slam the pass in. This is also why I love replays after goals - you can see what your teammates are doing.

Can't wait to play again, be it the next round of beta or the full release.

Thanks!

It's awesome when you have a partner and it feels like you're in sync. That's how most of that match felt; I could trust that he was going to be behind me if I accidentally hosed up, or I would set up a pass and he'd be in the area to try and shoot with it. we ended up being able to rematch like four or five times in a row and it was great.

icking fudiot
Jul 28, 2006

yall might want to check your PS4s for a Monday surprise

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
What?what??!

Update filed downloadinginginging!

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

556MB update :aaa:

Is it back???

IS IT BACK?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Pleads posted:

556MB update :aaa:

Is it back???

IS IT BACK?

Only 3 hours left!!!!! (this is the slowest download Ive ever seen on PSN. :p)

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

13 players online?

IT'S BACK!

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
No official word on reddit, twitter, etc.

Odd.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Is PSN: psyonixteam you guys or just a very avid fan?

e: also rocket_league1

icking fudiot
Jul 28, 2006

Lblitzer posted:

No official word on reddit, twitter, etc.

Odd.

It won't go wide until tomorrow or Wednesday incase poo poo hits the fan.

psyonixteam is us, but it varies who's playing, so if they suck don't blame me.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Pleads posted:

Is PSN: psyonixteam you guys or just a very avid fan?

e: also rocket_league1

I've played a bunch of Psionic <name> folks.

Also, a cop is going to blow his load.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Feenix posted:

I've played a bunch of Psionic <name> folks.

Also, a cop is going to blow his load.

I'm surprised he didn't feel called to this thread upon that post immediately, really.

I am leaving home on Wednesday and am not going to be back until the 19th. I look forward to getting some games in before I go, though!

morallyobjected fucked around with this message at 02:25 on May 12, 2015

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
!!!

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...
I didn't get to play the first beta so my god am I excited for this

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

The little noises added through the controller are neat but when you use the PS4 Gold headset they seem twice as loud as the other sounds. They're not TOO loud, just kind of startling.

icking fudiot
Jul 28, 2006

Pleads posted:

The little noises added through the controller are neat but when you use the PS4 Gold headset they seem twice as loud as the other sounds. They're not TOO loud, just kind of startling.

I believe that's a known issue that wasn't fixed in time for the beta update.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

OH MY GOOOOOOD YEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Edit: seriously today was pretty lovely, this may have single-handedly saved it

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

OH MY GOD WHY DID I NOTICE RIGHT BEFORE BED

I DON'T WANNA WORK TOMORROW

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

It's been like 90 minutes and we already have like a full+ party rotating people out in 4v4 private matches.

Fantastic.