Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

sellouts posted:

Stat history is silly and for try hards.

Oh come on stats own. I want to know exactly how many goals, saves, assists, etc everyone has..everyone!!! I want to compare against all my buddies! Please!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Follow That Fish!
Mar 8, 2007
Chaser of the stray sea-life, clad in a trench and a fedora.

a cop posted:

Oh come on stats own. I want to know exactly how many goals, saves, assists, etc everyone has..everyone!!! I want to compare against all my buddies! Please!!

Agree. Career stats would be loving awesome, especially if it counts more stuff beyond just total goals and assists. Let us pretend we're athletes, being able to view stuff like saves per match or something. We can then create our own formulas for measuring player effectiveness and sperg over stats like baseball fans, but have an actually fun sport behind it!

:swoon:

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Check this out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c469cNM_spM

Trash Trick fucked around with this message at 09:13 on May 15, 2015

Rorobb
Aug 17, 2005

Just a quick update, still loving the poo poo out of this game. Added my name to the google doc let's get some games in this weekend bros

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Which one of you is BootyClapQueen? We had some great matches last night, that was a lot of fun! It's interesting to see how certain players you play with just know to cover on D when somebody comes up. I'll have to get some footage uploaded sometime here. It's also crazy once you find some equally skilled players how long they stay in the game. We had probably 6-7 games of all the same players and nobody left until I think we had that crazy 8-0 match haha

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

a cop posted:

Stat histories, car inspections, the ability to just highlight names and go "invite to party" or "add to friends list" etc. I think it would help foster communities- for instance we could all just say "go to the goon room to find people to play with" instead of having the spreadsheet and having to scroll through our friend lists constantly to find anyone else who's playing (and then being uncertain of if they are looking to team up or not).

I think this game could be really popular and people would probably like it if you could make rooms w/ a max occupancy of 99 so the IGN or Reddit or whatever people can all easily meet up and play together. Pretty much exactly like MKX, for instance. Just a thought!

I would settle for just some way to queue to get into a game (and/or spectate on a server).

I was trying to get into one of the goon games last night but it was full, and I had no way of knowing if/when it was not full. Some sort of server browser functionality might work, where I can see where my friends are playing and if there's space there for me to join.

Still had fun in the public games, though.

Rorobb
Aug 17, 2005

Just curious, but do you guys exclusively use Ball Cam? It's all I've been using, and after a while I've definitely learned to just know where I am on the pitch. The only times it gets a little confusing is when there's a really high bounce and the ball is directly above me, but I find switching back and forth to be really distracting.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Rorobb posted:

Just curious, but do you guys exclusively use Ball Cam? It's all I've been using, and after a while I've definitely learned to just know where I am on the pitch. The only times it gets a little confusing is when there's a really high bounce and the ball is directly above me, but I find switching back and forth to be really distracting.

I use it maybe 90% of the time. In instances where the ball is just floating like that, I check to make sure we've got somebody playing D and use it as a chance to grab full boost and maybe try to take an angle to hit it. Many new players will simply wait for the ball to come down to make some insignificant nudge on the ball but I've learned to keep moving and use it as an opportunity to get yourself setup for an attack.

I use the regular cam if I'm sprinting back on D to make sure I'm not ramming any of my teammates who may be pushing up. As as soon as the defense puts the ball near half field I'm making sure we've got somebody playing keeper and try and grab another boost.

I think a big thing to keep in mind is using your double-forward jump instead of boost if you need speed, because boost is going to be a HUGE advantage once you learn to fly, having it topped off will allow you to make a try at almost any ball outside of jumping distance and with full boost you can pretty much fly 85% of the field.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Speaking of, can someone give a basic rundown on flying? Aside from my sudden retardation I was of little help to a cop the other day when I could have probably saved our asses, not knowing how to do it.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Rorobb posted:

I did for a while, but now I've switched to using Ball Cam primarily on D, and sometimes when I'm sweeping up the corners. If I'm looking to score though, it's too easy for me to get my angles wrong in Ball Cam, and it's actually much easier for me to use the regular camera to angle for a strike.

TERRIBLE SHITLORD
Oct 20, 2005

MY NIGGA HAVE
YOU TRIED LSD
I'm so drat excited for customization options. Gonna have the ugliest car I can possibly achieve. Also at this point they should just rename the 'Find Match' button to 'Put me on a losing team please.' Pretty much any time you get a 4+ goal lead the entire enemy team ragequits :haw:

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Orv posted:

Speaking of, can someone give a basic rundown on flying? Aside from my sudden retardation I was of little help to a cop the other day when I could have probably saved our asses, not knowing how to do it.

At its most essential:
Jump, angle your butt down, boost. You will propel upwards. Actually steering/hitting anything is a whole other ball of "how the hell...?!"

Also try to have ground forward momentum already before you try to fly. Trying to launch from a dead standstill burns nearly all your boost just trying to get moving.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

a cop posted:

icking fudiot: do me a favor: if you do stat pages can you make them look like Baseball cards? Please?! You could have images of the car (with accessories) as the player picture. It would be so good.

The card brand could be Hopps.

TERRIBLE SHITLORD
Oct 20, 2005

MY NIGGA HAVE
YOU TRIED LSD

Feenix posted:

icking fudiot: do me a favor: if you do stat pages can you make them look like Baseball cards? Please?! You could have images of the car (with accessories) as the player picture. It would be so good.

The card brand could be Hopps.

This and unlockable backgrounds for goal/save/etc milestones.

This guy
Jul 29, 2007
YES

Lblitzer posted:

Which one of you is BootyClapQueen? We had some great matches last night, that was a lot of fun! It's interesting to see how certain players you play with just know to cover on D when somebody comes up. I'll have to get some footage uploaded sometime here. It's also crazy once you find some equally skilled players how long they stay in the game. We had probably 6-7 games of all the same players and nobody left until I think we had that crazy 8-0 match haha

Yeah, we had some good matches! That 0-4 blowout at the end tho...

Follow That Fish!
Mar 8, 2007
Chaser of the stray sea-life, clad in a trench and a fedora.
icking fudiot: Are you guys aware of the bug that sometimes people's chat messages just do not get sent? If it happened to just me I would've thought that I was just banned from talking or something, but it's been happening every now and then in our group.

When the bug happens, I don't think my messages ever work before I restart the application. After that they seem to work fine. I've been leaving my PS4 on standby a lot lately with Rocket League running, maybe something to do with that?

Also, tried 4vs4 with a full team for the first time, played for two and a half hours. It's not as crazy as I expected, and it's great that the option is there, even though 3vs3 is probably better balanced.

GLOSS
Apr 10, 2005

PEARL GROWLS "TAKE OFF THAT SHIRT, STEVEN." I COMPLY, REVEALING THE FULL LENGTH SHIRT TATTOO. PEARL RETREATS INTO HER GEM, DEFEATED.
I signed up for the PS4 beta and got a code, however I never got around to downloading it due to other things, and thinking it was a one and done beta, I deleted the E-Mail with the code. Now when trying to get into the second phase, it tells me I've already gotten a code for my PSN username and can't request a second one. Does anyone either A: have an extra code to loan out, or B: have the means to get me the code I should originally have had? My PSN username is GLOSSton if that'd help...

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Follow That Fish! posted:

icking fudiot: Are you guys aware of the bug that sometimes people's chat messages just do not get sent? If it happened to just me I would've thought that I was just banned from talking or something, but it's been happening every now and then in our group.

When the bug happens, I don't think my messages ever work before I restart the application. After that they seem to work fine. I've been leaving my PS4 on standby a lot lately with Rocket League running, maybe something to do with that?

It happens when you suspend and play before closing the app again, yeah. Suspend is very fucky.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Gonna request again that people who park INSIDE the net for 75% of the game be blown up automatically.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Pleads posted:

Gonna request again that people who park INSIDE the net for 75% of the game be blown up automatically.

Haha was that group of 4 of yours that I just played?

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

Pleads posted:

Yup...there's nothing of strategic value to doing this at all and it's lame as hell.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Pleads posted:

Earlier tonight I parked just inside the net a lot as my starting point, but stopped every shot on goal the other team took, and my team won 6-0. I was doing something wrong?

Bruc
May 30, 2006
I think heading to inside the goal at the start of the game or if the opposing team has a big offensive push and there is a corner clusterfuck going on it is a pretty valid tactic. It gives you a good angle to hop out and knock the ball toward the enemy goal if nothing else and with boosts you can get there really quickly. If you hang near midfield you can also be a big help offensively too if your team all ends up on the wrong side of the ball for making shots. Sitting inside the goal all game is pretty unfun though and doesn't help your team as much as just playing a bit defensively from what I have seen, since it's not exactly a given you are going to make the stop anyhow and people can easily ram you.

TERRIBLE SHITLORD
Oct 20, 2005

MY NIGGA HAVE
YOU TRIED LSD

Lumpy posted:

Earlier tonight I parked just inside the net a lot as my starting point, but stopped every shot on goal the other team took, and my team won 6-0. I was doing something wrong?

I'm sorry but you must play offense at all times. Stopping the other team from scoring is not a valid tactic, try completely ignoring the ball and playing demolition derby instead.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I'm not saying never go in the net, holy christ goons. Play defense when the ball is a threat to your goal (hint: playing defense doesn't necessarily mean sitting in the goal, either!).

I have not seen a single person in the beta so far who just drove around running in to people and ignoring the ball. Every other game there is someone turtled up in the net.

I would take the non-existent "destruction derby" player 100% of the time. You can stop goals by smashing into the other team when they try to shoot. You can create goals by smashing in to defenders to get them out of the way. All you do turtled in the net is stop the occasional long shot, every other play you make could be done by someone who just drives back to play defense when the ball goes that way.

TERRIBLE SHITLORD
Oct 20, 2005

MY NIGGA HAVE
YOU TRIED LSD
I'm just pulling your leg man, play however you want. If it works for you and it's a game mechanic then go for it.

keldon
May 14, 2009
Any idea why this game needs a 200+ MB save file? It filled up my 1GB PS+ cloud storage quota.

icking fudiot
Jul 28, 2006

keldon posted:

Any idea why this game needs a 200+ MB save file? It filled up my 1GB PS+ cloud storage quota.

Forced to preallocate by Sony for saved replay storage. Probably shouldn't in the demo when replay saving is disabled though.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Are there any plans to fix the "recently played with" feature w/r/t Rocket League? The feature is always hit-or-miss from game to game and it's currently a miss with the beta. I don't think people you played with show up at all :(

edit: nevermind this is totally working!!!

Trash Trick fucked around with this message at 04:15 on May 17, 2015

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Pleads posted:

I'm not saying never go in the net, holy christ goons. Play defense when the ball is a threat to your goal (hint: playing defense doesn't necessarily mean sitting in the goal, either!).

I have not seen a single person in the beta so far who just drove around running in to people and ignoring the ball. Every other game there is someone turtled up in the net.

I would take the non-existent "destruction derby" player 100% of the time. You can stop goals by smashing into the other team when they try to shoot. You can create goals by smashing in to defenders to get them out of the way. All you do turtled in the net is stop the occasional long shot, every other play you make could be done by someone who just drives back to play defense when the ball goes that way.

Or people can play in a way that works effectively for them. Lumpy sat in the goal, and blocked every opposing ball, and his team won. Also lol at using "goons" as a derogatory when you are the one sperging out and getting mad.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExZLD4DW1pM

you can't trust people

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

There are effective goalkeepers out there. I'm definitely not one of them, but I've played with a couple, and they made some crucial saves.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

The new chat font is fairly hard to read from couch distance :(

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Pleads posted:

The new chat font is fairly hard to read from couch distance :(

Agreed. Even hard to read in game captures.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

1v1 is just loving dead in this..shame because I really love it.

icking fudiot
Jul 28, 2006

chat font is bugged bros

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

a cop posted:

1v1 is just loving dead in this..shame because I really love it.

it's hard to find a good balance in 1v1, more so than other hand types, I think. most of them I've played recently, I run right over the other person, or the same happens to me. with 2's or 3's, you have a partner, at least, to even it out.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Would it be possible to add a few more options for the AI when doing private matches? Right now you can pick overall difficulty, but it'd be nice to be able to adjust offense/defense and maybe just like, general accuracy, as separate sliders.

I think it would help in situations where you have 3/5/7 people and need an AI. You could cater the AI's playstyle to fit in to your group.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Pleads posted:

Do you watch soccer and go "What the gently caress is that one guy doing? Oh and the other team has one too! Bullshit!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I don't even mind the guys who hang out in the goal, I hate the people that obsessively slam into the ball from any angle and ruin your easy shot and send the ball back onto your side.