Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Good night, Rocket League beta. Hurry up and come out for real as soon as possible, okay?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I would like a gimmick mode where all the cars are the same colour and the only way to tell teams apart is that one team's horn plays La Cucaracha and the other plays the General Lee Dixie horn.

Thank you.

(Please add horns)

e: Also an "ice level" that just simulates having your hand brake on the entire time. Seriously, try it in a 3v3/4v4 group with friends. loving fantastic.
e: It decided not to save party audio but here's an ice level match. 3v3(1 AI, they play along if you set them to Rookie)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eS3HnE2UcII

Pleads fucked around with this message at 06:31 on May 19, 2015

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Yeah, we just figured out that if you run full gas at all times + hand brake, it plays like it's on ice and it's fun as poo poo. Especially boosts and bumping people.

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...
The ball gets trapped in the corner for days at a time, and even the slightest bump out could roll all the way into the net because nobody can hit it :allears:

orange sky
May 7, 2007

THERE'S A HAND BRAKE?

ufarn
May 30, 2009

orange sky posted:

THERE'S A HAND BRAKE?
A surprising number of people don't use it. It was in the tutorial, mang.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

THERE'S A TUTORIAL?

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHMJJIN-TyQ

Loving the hell outta this but even after reading what the full game will have I'm not sure of it's $20 value. Still hope to buy it because ngggh so gooood

e: the game song in the menu has singing! Will get

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 19:50 on May 19, 2015

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

MrLonghair posted:

Loving the hell outta this but even after reading what the full game will have I'm not sure of it's $20 value.

Dang. I've already gotten $20 of enjoyment out of this game and I haven't even started adding hats to my car yet.

:shepspends: Even if I never play it again after tonight I'll throw the money down when it releases.

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...
I've definitely gotten twenty dollars worth of entertainment out of it already

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Pleads posted:

Dang. I've already gotten $20 of enjoyment out of this game and I haven't even started adding hats to my car yet.

:shepspends: Even if I never play it again after tonight I'll throw the money down when it releases.

It's just a big questionmark, what do the ten cars have going for them and what exactly do you customize, do the arenas have gmmicks or sticking to this beaitulf theme, etc. Things could make or break.

Hopefully the platinum won't be too insane. This will live longer than Evolve and water is wet.

e: Start the game up and let it sit at the menu, this has more effort in its music than many AAA games (ok a bunch of different tunes)

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 20:12 on May 19, 2015

ufarn
May 30, 2009
The game is deceptively simple. The walla in the crowd and people yelling out the countdown is really well-done.

Really excited to see what they do with matchmaking and tournaments, which, along with a bad camera and a lack of more extensive tutorials, is my main hang-up with the game right now.

Follow That Fish!
Mar 8, 2007
Chaser of the stray sea-life, clad in a trench and a fedora.

MrLonghair posted:

It's just a big questionmark, what do the ten cars have going for them and what exactly do you customize, do the arenas have gmmicks or sticking to this beaitulf theme, etc. Things could make or break.

Eh, the draw here is insanely good and fun gameplay, not unlocking customization items. I'd buy this for 20 bucks even if there was nothing else than what's in the beta, because the core game is way more engaging than any sports games in ages.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I'd love a hybrid camera mode that locks on to the ball if it's within a certain field-of-view cone, but switches to manual control if the ball is behind or above me or whatever.

This game is fantastic and I'm really sad the beta is ending. Looking forward to buying it.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

MrLonghair posted:

Loving the hell outta this but even after reading what the full game will have I'm not sure of it's $20 value.

The fact that these words were stated and felt by anyone in existence is depressing and confusing to me.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
It's over :( take my money now, so I can keep playing the beta. I was finally starting to get the hang of flying too.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

You can still matchmake into existing games but watching the "now playing" numbers dwindle is fun.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Pleads posted:

You can still matchmake into existing games but watching the "now playing" numbers dwindle is fun disheartening.

TERRIBLE SHITLORD
Oct 20, 2005

MY NIGGA HAVE
YOU TRIED LSD
Guys I don't know what to do with my life now and every other game just seems so mundane in comparison :smith:

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I don't know what people expect for $20 if this game isn't enough.

icking fudiot
Jul 28, 2006

sellouts posted:

Don't be surprised, people agonize over buying $0.99 games on mobile and then drop $5 on a coffee. There's no rhyme or reason to it. It doesn't help that $60 titles go on sale within 6 months either.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Catpiss Neverclean posted:

Guys I don't know what to do with my life now and every other game just seems so mundane in comparison :smith:

:agreed: I don't have it in me to play The Witcher. I know it'll be fun & entertaining, but this game offered me a really solid, fun, and dynamic experience. Hurry up Summer!

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Godspeed, Rocket League.

Follow That Fish!
Mar 8, 2007
Chaser of the stray sea-life, clad in a trench and a fedora.

dog nougat posted:

:agreed: I don't have it in me to play The Witcher. I know it'll be fun & entertaining, but this game offered me a really solid, fun, and dynamic experience. Hurry up Summer!

I played The Witcher for a couple of hours yesterday. I mean it seems interesting, but I can already tell it's no Rocket League.

Follow That Fish! fucked around with this message at 05:47 on May 20, 2015

ufarn
May 30, 2009
We are finally free

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I'll miss you Rocket League :(

https://youtu.be/XKJ4mI0uCX4

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I don't know about a lot of you guys, but it's been fun to see how much better I've gotten at this game since the betas started. I had highlighted a bunch of clips from my first day but ended up deleting most of them because of how bland they were in comparison to some of the poo poo I was able to pull off the last week. Seriously, once you learn how to fly, your skill immediately goes up past most everyone.

Also I'm surprised with how few people understand how physics compensation works. Like, if you hit the ball at a wall that's perpendicular from you, they won't cut off the angle, they'll chase the ball to the wall and back. And that's just to be able to hit the ball at all, not with any significance. Countless times I've had teammates get in my way as I'm trying to cut an angle on the ball and they're just chasing it without any purpose.

Also fyi if you're driving straight, using a double-jump forward will give you the same speed as a boost will, so conserve that poo poo for flying or emergencies. You can also double jump backwards to get top speed.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
The amount of times I've had the ball knocked away by a teammate as I'm lining up a goal is depressing.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

I mean I loved the hell outta what this was and felt great value in it, but they need to drop some good data and detail on what exactly awaits in the $20 package to convince me before it's done and released. I already feel I'd get more out of $20 for this than $60 for Evolve not to mention a healthy population playing it three months after release (also see Titanfall) but that's sense and logic.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

sellouts posted:

It's worth $20 just to watch: it captures the simplicity of sport (even a sport that isn't real) in a highly satisfying way. FIFA is fantastic, but it never makes me stand up from my couch in cheering anticipation when a ball is rolling toward the net. With this game, almost every goal had me cheering at the TV like a total idiot.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

MrLonghair posted:

I mean I loved the hell outta what this was and felt great value in it, but they need to drop some good data and detail on what exactly awaits in the $20 package to convince me before it's done and released.

For $20, you get Rocket League. If that is not good enough for you, please do not purchase Rocket League.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Yeah I think why you're buying for 20 bucks is the ability to do what you've been doing, only every night instead of a beta period. There'll be a single player season mode, free dlc, and cosmetic stuff.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart
$20 for something that actually makes soccer interesting and fun? I'm down for that.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

EC posted:

The amount of times I've had the ball knocked away by a teammate as I'm lining up a goal is depressing.

This is why I started playing the game "the wrong way" (a.k.a playing defense). 85% of the time I had a good angle / shot, I'd either have the ball knocked away nowhere near the goal or get rammed into by a teammate.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Lumpy posted:

This is why I started playing the game "the wrong way" (a.k.a playing defense). 85% of the time I had a good angle / shot, I'd either have the ball knocked away nowhere near the goal or get rammed into by a teammate.

Same. By the end of the beta I played goalie 80% of the time. I'd play a mode that gave everyone a set position and you got more points based on how well you played that position. The way it is everyone just barrels for the ball and a whole team of three people just smash into each other.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
So apparently the game does have some nifty backend bookkeeping to pair you up with similarly skilled players. Psyonix-Dave also made a top-100 player list of the beta in terms of stats. They've got some algorithms behind it too.

http://www.psyonix.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=11064&start=120

CatpissNeverclean and myself played a bit with Kahoma who is very good at this game, but there's a few names on the list that I just don't see how they could be on there based on my time playing with or against them. Not holding much to a list like that though. They did say they reached 40k people with the beta which is pretty awesome.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

Lumpy posted:

Unmature posted:

Same. By the end of the beta I played goalie 80% of the time. I'd play a mode that gave everyone a set position and you got more points based on how well you played that position. The way it is everyone just barrels for the ball and a whole team of three people just smash into each other.

Welp, looks like I'm saving $20

Unmature
May 9, 2008

sba posted:

We don't need ya anyways.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Only ever play with ice rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

sba posted:

Nah, game is still hella fun even if your teammates aren't great.