Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

No Safe Word posted:

Not having the "Quick Play/Play Again" options is super frustrating and dumb. Do not like.

especially because they added it not that long ago, I feel like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
Yeah them breaking the servers in some way is just to be expected from an RL update (although I'm impressed that they broke all of Epic's online services this time... hell knows what the Free-to-play launch is going to be like), but their UI overhaul is not great either. Maybe it's just not my thing but to me the menu lists all look like placeholder graphics, it's all flat and I love that they've tried to make the Item shop stand out like when it was a bright gold-ish colour... But the tint they added just made it brown. Overall it's definitely a less useable system now, queueing for games is clunkier, you don't even have the start-button shortcut. They've had a couple good ideas, like putting a free-play button in when you start queueing for games, but overall it's more of a pain.

You don't get any items for playing right now, levels don't do anything and there are no drops or challenges anywhere yet. Also when they changed all the standard items to Legacy versions it broke all your presets using those items and you have to re-equip them all, including paint types. They removed a number of the engine noises too, there used to be V1 and V2 of some engine noises and I can't see any duplicates, some are just V2s. When I tried to fix a couple of my cars I found that they've actually extremely broken the garage (maybe just on PS4) it just doesn't behave right, it doesn't update when you swap teams, then when it does update it loads the wrong car, seemingly the last car you edited? This is going to be a fun mess for me to untangle so I'm ignoring all my presets for now.

I'm not sure if GC has been segmented yet or if that's going live for the f2p launch. Tournament mode is also there but it just looks like it's not live yet. But we do have new quick chats, the Merc does seem to be different now (when I dribble with it, the ball isn't clipped so far into the roof), and there are a new tier of even worse Beginner bots. I think they made them worse than Rookie bots by just making them scared of going top speed? Oh and they also added Heatseeker as a gametype you can do now which locks out a couple of the mutators so you can't play cube heatseeker it seems. But there is some new stuff to have a look at.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Am I going to have te re-figure out me settings again now?

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
They have already tweeted that they're going to reduce the clicks you need to queue for your next match. What a terrible UI decision.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Is there any sort of goon club that I can join? I'm on Switch if that matters.

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013
Where the gently caress is breathing underwater? everything feels lifeless and bland as gently caress

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

Dpulex posted:

Where the gently caress is breathing underwater? everything feels lifeless and bland as gently caress

song owns. really good memories of loading up the game like 4 years ago and hearing the start of that song

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Yikes. So wait a couple patches?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Jamfrost posted:

Yikes. So wait a couple patches?

Nah, just play. Nothing is game breaking, just annoying.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

PotatoJudge posted:

They have already tweeted that they're going to reduce the clicks you need to queue for your next match. What a terrible UI decision.

Was it from a dev or some support account or something? I don't see anything on the main account nor do I see anything from the devs on the release thread on reddit.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

No Safe Word posted:

Was it from a dev or some support account or something? I don't see anything on the main account nor do I see anything from the devs on the release thread on reddit.

Devin posted it on his own twitter for some reason.

https://twitter.com/devinconnors/status/1306353803331956736

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Is there any sort of goon club that I can join? I'm on Switch if that matters.

Join the Discord, several nights a week there are goon games, and people randomly queuing casual or ranked depending on who is around.

https://discord.gg/KktXNnP

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I hopped into hockey after 2 years not playing since thats generally a pretty chill group of folks and first match had an angry dude accusing me of being a lovely bot. Hey man, I'm rusty, and also not the one stuck getting matches with unranked folks. Is there no longer a casual hockey queue?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
They're running some 3v3 tournaments today as a preview for the dailies starting on the 23rd with At 3/6/9PM PST, it has a 'notify' option for them now.

Boogalo posted:

Is there no longer a casual hockey queue?
They turned them into ranked to prevent folks dropping and leaving bots in. It's generally been an improvement, salty folks aside.

JawnV6 fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Sep 18, 2020

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

Slime TrainerS
Oh man. I remember bots trying to play those custom modes.

They were not good.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Jamfrost posted:

Oh man. I remember bots trying to play those custom modes.

They were not good.

especially bots playing hoops

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Wow I do not like this FTP update. I need an epic ID now and all my friends on console do as well in order to play together? Before it was just scroll over, invite. Took me way too long to figure out what the hell was happening and how to get in a game with a buddy. Didn't help that the "primary" account kept timing out and not linking to the game itself, much less having to go through that process in the first place.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
one of the concessions of making a game free to play is that the experience is almost always worse

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
I don't understand why they had to make the game icon look so cheap, maybe the old one was too premium looking for F2P? The new menu is kinda lovely too, but if it'd at least remember your last selection to let you spam through it'll be ok I guess.

For people only playing on a single system I'm sure it's annoying having to link up an Epic account but I for one was really happy to finally get to connect everything. Having started out on Switch, I now finally get to use all my cars and ugly presets in 4K on PS4 too.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

I can understand developing a F2P game and cutting costs by making things not as flashy, but when that flashiness is already built in, I don’t get the need to remove it. Epic is the worst.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
We've been talking in the Discord about starting a new thread for the Free To Play launch, as this one is really getting on a bit and the first post is super out of date. I mean there's a montage by Fyshokid which has some of the best aerials 2015 has to offer, a montage that seems ridiculous to anyone who's only picked the game up in the past year. Things have moved on since then, people have been able to do some ridiculous things, the game has grown a lot and become a real esport, so it's probably time for a new one. And it'll give any actually new users a much better idea of what to expect. Anything particular people want to include for the first post of a new thread?

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

Slime TrainerS
Should probably include a handful of good training exercises (the codes), a link to the official RL Twitch channel, an extra modes breakdown/description, and whatever else seems reasonable.
-
Side note: I really dislike this UI. It's ugly. About half or more of my presets are messed up. Uugh.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Yeah, this new UI sucks rear end. I'm looking forward to joining a tournament, though.

Edit: I just read that we're going to have a soft rank reset where most players will start around Gold I, yikes. I hate rank resets.

Nfcknblvbl fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Sep 20, 2020

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
it legit took me like two matches to figure out how to select more than one type of match in the playlist because it used to be so simple.

I'm sure I'll get used to it eventually, but it really was like two steps back that seemed completely unnecessary.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

morallyobjected posted:

it legit took me like two matches to figure out how to select more than one type of match in the playlist because it used to be so simple.

I'm sure I'll get used to it eventually, but it really was like two steps back that seemed completely unnecessary.

They're looking to tweak it because literally everyone hates it

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
I had a lot of fun with the tournaments. They're clearly a big focus going forward, the pre-game quick chats seem to exclusively work in the pre-game dancing. I had decent teammates picking up randoms, it makes up team names. For 2 of them I got in on the 'late' round 15 minutes past the hour, it didn't seem to affect the rewards.

morallyobjected posted:

The expected F2P audience would be confounded and confused if "select playlist" and "begin search" were separate operations, their brows furrowing in anger as mashing the colorful 3v3 box did not result in gameplay. The slim tabs for "Casual/Competitive/Extra" were too svelte and hidden, the F2P gamer would not register them as they inelegantly mashed through the menus, nor could they be trusted to find "Training" on the main menu. They could not take the risk that these inept gamers would become frustrated and leave the game, so instead they took inspiration from another titan in the field: Overwatch.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
Has anyone on PS4 noticed performance issues since the update? Played for the first time since the patch this weekend, and it seemed.... choppier somehow. Not lag-related, but like toggling ball cam and view changes when the ball moved past the car quickly seemed noticeably chunky.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

New thread for a new era: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3941545

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
my bad, posted in the old thread

RVT fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Apr 22, 2021