Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Quantrill posted:

The next patch is getting a "vote to forfeit" button on ranked matches. I foresee 1 person in a solo standard match raging and voting to forfeit while the other guys just laugh.

Definitely. I got paired with a pretty good teammate last night, and because we played well off each other, we won six or seven straight before he left. At least three of those came off forfeits as soon as we scored a goal. People quit out surprisingly easy in this game. It's absurd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

The Orange Mage posted:

Has anyone noticed any patterns to other users' car designs relating to what kind of player they are?

All I have so far is that if I see someone in the Van with the Money boost trail they are either a gigantic douchenozzle, a great air player, and sometimes both.

I've noticed that if anyone is using the lawnmower boost, they are me, because I am literally the only person I've ever seen use the lawnmower boost.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
My car is horribly offensive.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

ALFbrot posted:

I've noticed that if anyone is using the lawnmower boost, they are me, because I am literally the only person I've ever seen use the lawnmower boost.

That one and the chorus of angels one are my favorites.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I've found a big jump in difficulty at 800 Solo Standard. Games at that point have become long, drawn-out affairs where it either goes to overtime at 0-0 or someone scores in the last minute. Starting to see competent air shots at this point, too.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I made it to ~650 in Doubles ranked but now if I miss a shot or make a mistake I get flooded with shitmail from my partner/opponents and I'm pretty sure I'm near my skill ceiling. Went back to unranked because I just felt demoralized and grouchy after every session.

Strenots
Jun 21, 2005

'Course it's a good idea!

Electromax posted:

I made it to ~650 in Doubles ranked but now if I miss a shot or make a mistake I get flooded with shitmail from my partner/opponents and I'm pretty sure I'm near my skill ceiling. Went back to unranked because I just felt demoralized and grouchy after every session.

I've found that doubles with random partners is almost exclusively a frustrating affair. Competent but not total jackass partners are hard to find, probably because they're all grouped up already. Remember that you have the option to squelch all chat, even text from teammates if I'm remembering right.

fujifisher
Sep 3, 2006

Hi there!
So when is this game going to get unusual toppers/hats à la Team Fortress 2?

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

fujifisher posted:

So when is this game going to get unusual toppers/hats à la Team Fortress 2?

Doesn't it have those already?

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

If you are positive in chat (saying "nice shot" when the enemy team scores, complimenting teammates' shots and passes, etc) generally goes a long way for me in improving games. People tend to stop being assholes and I'd swear my teammates try harder.

fujifisher
Sep 3, 2006

Hi there!

IGgy IGsen posted:

Doesn't it have those already?
Unless I'm missing something, I don't think so. I'm talking toppers with little effects emanating from them. Like a fez that is glowing yellow like this, or has hearts orbiting it like this.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Strenots posted:

I've found that doubles with random partners is almost exclusively a frustrating affair. Competent but not total jackass partners are hard to find, probably because they're all grouped up already. Remember that you have the option to squelch all chat, even text from teammates if I'm remembering right.
I'd say you should probably add or subtract 200 from your score, if you're playing with randoms, at least at mid levels. It's a total crapshoot, but it's gotten better since PS4 players could communicate with Steam plebes.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

I've noticed the 3rd player rarely joins the other team if it becomes a 3 on 1 through rage quitters, seemed to be an unwritten rule for a while there. Pouring a cold beer on the floor for you, cool manners.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jw0-iUioQpE

Ranked doubles, partner leaves shortly after the game starts. I proceed to own both of these dudes.

Who are very bad

I'm not much better

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
This game is cool. I'm starting to see wall hits and people flying to hit the ball in my unranked matches, which is cool even if I'll never be able to do those things. My ground game is on point tho. I'm regularly getting 1000+ points in games.

The most fun is when everyone is on the same page and spam=s irrelevant chat stuff after ever goal, my favorite was a game late last night that had everyone saying "What a save!" after every goal no matter what. Good sh*t yall

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Why do you think you'll never be able to do those things? :(

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

You just have to believe in yourself.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
It's just way too hard, but I read that you can be a really good player without them so I'm not too worried!!

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Darth Windu posted:

It's just way too hard, but I read that you can be a really good player without them so I'm not too worried!!

Ya that's definitely the case. I just have a feeling that once you feel competent in your game in every other regard you'll start going for that poo poo! It feels really natural stepping your game up one element at a time, no matter which order you go in.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
My main issue is that practicing those things makes me feel like a bad player.

I can be kicking rear end in a solo standard match, then I see an opportunity for an aerial, go for it, miss terribly, and leave our goal wide open to a chorus of "wow nice job fgt" which is always really cool even though I'm the only one on the team that ever centers or clears the loving ball, etc etc

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Darth Windu posted:

No way, I went from never attempting aerials shots to being able to do them pretty regularly now in just a few months. That said, having a strong ground game can really hamper an aerial player's game. Gibbs is probably the best example, he was able to shut down Kronovi a few times and make him pretty useless.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
My current "doing okay so trying to branch out skills" thing is toggling between the regular and ball cam. It's been helpful to use the regular cam to line up shots or to have better situational awareness when the ball pops overhead. It's much easier to position myself for a bicycle hit or something when I can see the ball indicator on the ground (which I can't if I'm ball tracking and the camera looks straight up).

Lucky goal of the day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcsGzpgdMF8

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Lol, owns.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Shine posted:

My current "doing okay so trying to branch out skills" thing is toggling between the regular and ball cam. It's been helpful to use the regular cam to line up shots or to have better situational awareness when the ball pops overhead. It's much easier to position myself for a bicycle hit or something when I can see the ball indicator on the ground (which I can't if I'm ball tracking and the camera looks straight up).

Lucky goal of the day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcsGzpgdMF8

see ive actually gone from switching between the two to all ball cam all the time except to grab boost. it's definitely harder to judge the ball coming down to begin with but I find it easier to actually control the ball now that I can judge it from ballcam. before I could hit the ball reliably from the indicator on the ground but I'd gently caress up where I'd actually hit the thing because I couldn't see the spin on the ball or judge when exactly it was going to hit the wall/if it was going to

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Cojawfee posted:

My car is horribly offensive.

More than this?

Chuck Finley posted:

So this game is loving amazing.

e: All I need are the skulls decal and my Jew van is complete.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Ranked games shouldn't even begin if a teammate fails to load.

yeah this feature is pretty lame

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

fujifisher posted:

Unless I'm missing something, I don't think so. I'm talking toppers with little effects emanating from them. Like a fez that is glowing yellow like this, or has hearts orbiting it like this.

I sincerely hope not, that poo poo is garbage in every sense

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I'm fine paying for little cosmetic packs with new items that unlock the same way the original stuff (1 per game) did but in no way do I want TF2's interpretation of rare hats and poo poo to come to this game. Hat microtransactions is where I draw the line.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
When the gently caress is the Mach 5 Jack-jump sound coming? I'd totally buy that. Also a Mach 5 paint job. And Speed's bandana as a flag topper.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Pleads posted:

I'm fine paying for little cosmetic packs with new items that unlock the same way the original stuff (1 per game) did but in no way do I want TF2's interpretation of rare hats and poo poo to come to this game. Hat microtransactions is where I draw the line.

Really? Like with steam cards that stuff is just a way to redistribute player wealth. I'd definitely prefer it to straight dlc.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Pleads posted:

Give me anything that idiots pay for as long as they turn profits into free DLC.

So many people paid for those dumb Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer boxes that I got so many maps/classes/upgrades entirely for free.

Pengwin
Apr 3, 2007

MIND MIND MIND

It's so cool starting to feel yourself get better at this game. :3:

I just got it a couple weeks ago and I spent the first week rarely able to hit the ball the way I wanted to, but I'm starting to get more confident with creative moves. Just scored this neat redirect goal, just a few days ago there's no way I would have recognized the opportunity much less actually land it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QniV7WcXh8k

(I'm just barely Silver in 1v1 so this is probably not as cool as I think it is)

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Aerials are cool and all but are pretty situational and you should probably not do them unless you're aiming for a goal or going over an enemys head to maintain ball control. I've been upping my footsie game and that made a tremendous difference, especially in 1v1. Against goalies I've had real good luck with a small pop up of the corner to the middle to bicycle goal, or my personal favorite since i like to run with the ball: shoot it slower forward and turbo along the side of the ball into the goalie. If you're really close to the goal right behind or next to a forward running ball and see the goalie rushing for it, jump up and spin to tap a side, theyll boost right past it and you get to watch a slow roll goal.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

lol if you have a "strategy" or "skills" in this game lol

You're just supposed to ram yourself into the ball as hard as possible as often as possible

At least that's what I see from every matchmaker game.

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005
I have a descriminating toe

Inzombiac posted:

lol if you have a "strategy" or "skills" in this game lol

You're just supposed to ram yourself into the ball as hard as possible as often as possible

At least that's what I see from every matchmaker game.

This is the way to play

Faux-Ass Nonsense
Feb 9, 2013

by Lowtax
Found a cool little feature just now.Got demolitioned by the bot named Poncho (monster truck w/ sombrero) and you can call that car a dirty Mexican and it's alright because it's just code.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

TheTrend posted:

This is the way to play

My A+++++ tactic is to boost jump towards anything sphere shaped. When I miss, I drive around until I have 100% boost and try again.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

So the common wisdom on kickoff seems to be that if you start in the middle-middle spot (furthest back) you are defacto defenseman, but that is the only middle position that can actually boost all the way to the ball. Wouldn't it make more sense for either middle-left or middle-right to stay back and play defense? Maybe this is something that happens more above the super retard level where I am ranked, but it drives me crazy starting mid-mid and watching someone at mid-left or right trying to get the extra boost, way over-correcting, and we just have one guy at the point of contact.

This game owns, I'm bad, hail satan.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

DrKennethNoisewater posted:

So the common wisdom on kickoff seems to be that if you start in the middle-middle spot (furthest back) you are defacto defenseman, but that is the only middle position that can actually boost all the way to the ball. Wouldn't it make more sense for either middle-left or middle-right to stay back and play defense? Maybe this is something that happens more above the super retard level where I am ranked, but it drives me crazy starting mid-mid and watching someone at mid-left or right trying to get the extra boost, way over-correcting, and we just have one guy at the point of contact.

This game owns, I'm bad, hail satan.

In that scenario, in every match I have played, no one has ever beat me to the ball when I am an angles-man. I don't veer for turbos. I go straight at the ball and I hit it at the same time as everyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Feenix posted:

In that scenario, in every match I have played, no one has ever beat me to the ball when I am an angles-man. I don't veer for turbos. I go straight at the ball and I hit it at the same time as everyone else.

Far left and far right always get first hit, but in a 3v3 when two people start mid the furthest back is assumed defense, but he has the best chance at saving if the wing doesn't get a clean hit.