Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Follow That Fish!
Mar 8, 2007
Chaser of the stray sea-life, clad in a trench and a fedora.

morallyobjected posted:

It's nothing special or anything, especially compared to some of the crazy poo poo people pull off in other videos, but I was happy with this because it was the first time I had actually managed to do something effective with air boosting to lead to a goal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvOv4Jw41fo

this was still before I knew you could hit X again in the air to flip in a direction though.

No need to dig your own hole there. I thought that was nice. :)

This was my own favourite play from the beta, even though I dash like a madman and miss the ball in the beginning. It turns into a pretty neat assist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qY3mnZoRbM

I love how the guy who scores reads the play pretty well too. Gets the full boost (after I crash into him) and then just zooms past all the opponents to slam the pass in. This is also why I love replays after goals - you can see what your teammates are doing.

Can't wait to play again, be it the next round of beta or the full release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Follow That Fish!
Mar 8, 2007
If someone is unable to play and is itching for more, here's one full game of mine from beta 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43oEllYU5NY

I'm very much a newbie, but I did manage to do pretty well in that match. It's got a couple of saves, and I thought the second goal was pretty neat.

Follow That Fish!
Mar 8, 2007

how me a frog posted:

That trailer is pretty pathetic though.

To be fair, it's a small game from a small studio. Those quotes must be from the community of the previous game, which is pretty hardcore.

I'm sure they've a bit more prestigious quotes since releasing the beta. :)

Follow That Fish!
Mar 8, 2007
A friend of mine set up a sweet assist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbINHTisUR8

I can't get enough of this game, it's just so fun in a way games very rarely are, especially online. Since there seem to be a bunch of people who feel the same way, I expect this game to have a dedicated community for years to come. That's a happy thought.

Follow That Fish!
Mar 8, 2007

Pleads posted:

This game needs a no-goalie mode where cars who sit in the crease for more than a certain amount of time just blow up.

Are you seeing this a lot in matches? Because playing on the European server, I haven't. Just sitting in the box can't be too efficient, since you'd be too far to contribute anything at offence.

I tend to hang back and not really crash the boards at offensive end much. I've found that it often makes a lot of sense for the defensive player to roam at the half-way line, since you can often get shooting chances off weak clearances, or at least keep applying pressure by returning the ball to the corners.

Follow That Fish! fucked around with this message at 08:35 on May 13, 2015

Follow That Fish!
Mar 8, 2007

Pleads posted:

Playing defensively and hanging back a bit is fine, it's the people who literally sit inside the net the whole game that bother me. But since it leaves us a man up near the ball, as soon as possession starts to shift to us I just boost down and ram into the goalie as hard as I can, usually destroying them.

Well, you've found a good counter for goalkeepers then. :)

When I was playing with a buddy, we didn't designate either of us for playing defense, we just tried to make decisions based on what's happening. It was a lot of fun seamlessly transitioning from offense to defense and back again, and I feel it doesn't make sense to have someone play exclusively a goalkeeper. Often the player who hangs a bit back from the action can get the best and easiest shooting opportunities, or can launch quick counter attacks from their own end. If you feel you can't do much to contribute to that attack, just fall back and replace them on defense.

I love how you can even have a tactical discussion about this game. So good.

Follow That Fish!
Mar 8, 2007
So apparently a cop was caught on video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hApsoyO3qiA

Follow That Fish!
Mar 8, 2007

Thanks, that's great!

I've gotten a few friends hooked already, but instant keys might help convince people at Finnish soccer forums to give this a shot. Posted a thread, there's enough people for a mini-community to happen, if this catches on.

Follow That Fish!
Mar 8, 2007

a cop posted:

Oh come on stats own. I want to know exactly how many goals, saves, assists, etc everyone has..everyone!!! I want to compare against all my buddies! Please!!

Agree. Career stats would be loving awesome, especially if it counts more stuff beyond just total goals and assists. Let us pretend we're athletes, being able to view stuff like saves per match or something. We can then create our own formulas for measuring player effectiveness and sperg over stats like baseball fans, but have an actually fun sport behind it!

:swoon:

Follow That Fish!
Mar 8, 2007
icking fudiot: Are you guys aware of the bug that sometimes people's chat messages just do not get sent? If it happened to just me I would've thought that I was just banned from talking or something, but it's been happening every now and then in our group.

When the bug happens, I don't think my messages ever work before I restart the application. After that they seem to work fine. I've been leaving my PS4 on standby a lot lately with Rocket League running, maybe something to do with that?

Also, tried 4vs4 with a full team for the first time, played for two and a half hours. It's not as crazy as I expected, and it's great that the option is there, even though 3vs3 is probably better balanced.

Follow That Fish!
Mar 8, 2007

MrLonghair posted:

It's just a big questionmark, what do the ten cars have going for them and what exactly do you customize, do the arenas have gmmicks or sticking to this beaitulf theme, etc. Things could make or break.

Eh, the draw here is insanely good and fun gameplay, not unlocking customization items. I'd buy this for 20 bucks even if there was nothing else than what's in the beta, because the core game is way more engaging than any sports games in ages.

Follow That Fish!
Mar 8, 2007

dog nougat posted:

:agreed: I don't have it in me to play The Witcher. I know it'll be fun & entertaining, but this game offered me a really solid, fun, and dynamic experience. Hurry up Summer!

I played The Witcher for a couple of hours yesterday. I mean it seems interesting, but I can already tell it's no Rocket League.

Follow That Fish! fucked around with this message at 05:47 on May 20, 2015

Follow That Fish!
Mar 8, 2007

Lblitzer posted:

Here is a highlight video I made with the worst video editor ever: Share Factory. Comes with stock song too!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcPzrji6gqc

Pretty amazing. Both you and that stock song.

Without Rocket League I am nothing but a lost soul swimming in a fish bowl year after year. A lump of carbon reduced to a mere hollowed out husk of a man.

Please come back soon.

Follow That Fish!
Mar 8, 2007

icking fudiot posted:

I didn't want to bump the thread just for this, but now that it's already bumped - a highlight reel from the #1 ranked beta player to melt your brains.

Already saw that on Reddit, and I can confirm that my brain is now liquid.

Watching full matches from that team was almost equally ridiculous. The coordination they have in addition to the insane personal skill levels...

Follow That Fish!
Mar 8, 2007

icking fudiot posted:

If it soothes your minds a little guys, there's a lot of inherent protections we have against PC causing crossplay issues.

I kinda agree... But on the other hand, I think it's very much possible to write hacks that you can use to steer you automatically towards hitting middle of the ball, or something in that vein.

Hopefully they allow you to play with just console players, if you want to. In any case you can host your own private games, if you don't feel like playing randoms.

VVVVVV Yeah, or that.

Follow That Fish!
Mar 8, 2007

icking fudiot posted:

Boost is server validated in online play. Not our first online rodeo.

I was pleased to know that you can opt out of crossplay if you want. That's all I need really. It's amazing that you are doing it, but it's also a relief that you can just ignore the PC crowd, if hacks happen to become problematic.

Clearly I haven't been giving you guys enough credit for all the game design choices you've made. :)

Follow That Fish!
Mar 8, 2007
https://twitter.com/RocketLeague/status/608708054062776320

"@AMMu3aTh No plans for another beta. We are focusing on release now. July 7 is fast approaching"

Well, gently caress. How am I supposed to cope for almost a month without being able to play Rocket League?

Witcher 3 might be one of the best games I've ever played, and I've probably got 150 hours of it left, but while playing I just find myself wishing I could be bicycling balls to the walls.

Follow That Fish!
Mar 8, 2007

bagina posted:

Any point in keeping the beta at this point? Or will it be a fresh download? Obviously we will pay for it, was just wondering if there would be an unlock or something like that.

During the downtime I've been playing the aerial training a bit and believe I have gotten marginally better at flying.

Follow That Fish!
Mar 8, 2007
For people who just can't get enough hearing about this game, check out the long rear end talk Gametrailers did with the Rocket League guys: http://www.twitch.tv/gametrailers/v/6316062 (Starts at around 3:14:00)

There's over an hour of talk and footage from different arenas and game modes.

Follow That Fish!
Mar 8, 2007
I couldn't open my wallet fast enough if I could pay 20 euros to get access until 7th like those streamer guys do and then buy the game for 20 more when it officially comes out.

I mean I need my fix.

Follow That Fish!
Mar 8, 2007
Holy poo poo, that's amazing.

Would be quite interesting to hear business details behind this since this might be the first time at least on PS4 where a new release with a heavy focus on online play is given for free. Like, has Sony agreed to pay for the servers for a set period of time to make this happen or something like that? Don't expect icking fudiot to answer, but just wondering how Sony was able to entice you guys into doing this.

You guys better have a bunch of servers prepared for release day. :)

Follow That Fish!
Mar 8, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

they've given several mp only games out free on day one but they all sucked like secret ponchos

I can't think of anything else mp only on PS4 other than Secret Ponchos, but you're right, that one was so lovely it's no wonder I didn't remember. OlliOlli 2 has an online component, but probably not even close to requiring as much server power as Rocket League will.

Ninja edit: But I'm veering off topic, which is ROCKET LEAGUE!!

Follow That Fish!
Mar 8, 2007

Waterfall of Salt posted:

The worst part about this game is that it does not have the wonderful buttrock title theme that Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle Cars did.

You are not kidding: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySFWsvOA0KI

Game's started to roll out. It came up in New Zealand near midnight, and was made free for PS+ shortly after. 7 hours to midnight here...

Might just as well skip sleeping tonight and go straight to work tomorrow, if it ends up releasing on time.

Follow That Fish!
Mar 8, 2007

icking fudiot posted:

it might be in there somewhere

There is literally nothing you guys haven't thought about.

Follow That Fish!
Mar 8, 2007
Sony managed to surprise me by more or less releasing at midnight in Finland.

Got to sleep three hours before having to go to work. Game's as good as I remember from the beta and then some. I regret nothing.

Follow That Fish!
Mar 8, 2007
Managed to unlock Helen's Pride on the first night online. :smuggo:

Also was pretty cool to play Spooky1611, had been seeing him in prerelease videos and Twitch streams. Managed to beat him, even though my ragtag group had one novice that hadn't played the beta before.

Follow That Fish!
Mar 8, 2007
Well gently caress. I was hoping to get some games in before the inevitable server meltdown after NA users get in, but it happened way sooner than that.

At least season mode is pretty fun, but I guess I should know better than get people hyped for playing something online on release day.

Follow That Fish!
Mar 8, 2007

sba posted:

If I paid $20 would these issues have been avoided?? Because I'd have preferred that scenario.

Yeah me too, but to me it looked like the issues started before there was a huge influx of PS+ players. They were mentioning some database problems in Twitter.

Last night it didn't seem to record the stats, such as wins, saves or boost times for different parts. Not sure if that could've been related. That seems to work now though, but the servers don't, so idk.

Hope you guys can get the stuff working again soon. I'm guessing quite a few people who bought the game on Steam have gotten refunds already, since the servers aren't up.

Follow That Fish!
Mar 8, 2007
All star bots on the CPU side are really drat effective at accurate long shots and slamming in passes if you let some through the crease. Definitely better than most people playing online will be. Playing as a goalkeeper on defense seems like a must.

The bots are surprisingly good in many ways, but they completely break if they would have to block shots when they are driving towards their own goal. Usually the bot will just drive into the own goal slightly before the ball rolls in.

Follow That Fish!
Mar 8, 2007

ufarn posted:

Matchmaking’s been pretty weird in that I’ve almost kept getting 4-0 victories except one game where we lost. Not that I’m not having fun - but I guess there are some people on the receiving end who aren’t.

Most people haven't played too many games yet. It takes awhile for most people to have sort of a reliable ranking.

Managed to get few 4vs4 in a private match in. Fun as hell. Couple of instances where somebody dropped from the game, and bots didn't replace them, but this I can live with. I'm just happy the servers seemed pretty fine.

Follow That Fish!
Mar 8, 2007
Holy crap this clutch play on both ends felt great: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMfKk9grsXQ

(Also note the score and the timer)

Follow That Fish!
Mar 8, 2007

Nfcknblvbl posted:

A lot of these guys with excellent aerial skills have months of experience behind them, so unless if you have the same time invested in the game you can still do it!

Years, actually. The original game Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars launched in 2008.

There are people who have been playing it ever since and have now migrated to Rocket League.

Follow That Fish!
Mar 8, 2007

Drunk Tomato posted:

Or if that's on purpose, then is there going to be a 3-car team ranked playlist at some point?

Like boz said, it's "solo standard" right now. I think their Twitter confirmed that ranked 3vs3 for teams is coming at some point, but I'm not 100% sure.

Follow That Fish!
Mar 8, 2007
/\/\/\/\/\/\ No thanks, unless you get a 15 second or so grace period to test out if the server lags or not. Quitting should be punished though, but there needs to be a way out of laggy games.

Ranked games really trump unranked for me now. Got up to 700 points on solo standard, which isn't that special, but the games have gotten way more tense. I feel I'm learning and getting better at a faster pace now that games are almost free of the dumbest mistakes.

One thing that's frustrating as hell though is ranked games starting lopsided. Started three 2vs3's today, and was always on the short-handed side. In the first one we managed to make two opponents ragequit less than two and a half minutes into the game, but I didn't stick around to play the later two.

Just finished playing for tonight, and the games were getting pretty laggy. Only two out of the five last games on EU I tried were smooth. Still, the server situation is way better now than during the first week, so nbd.

Follow That Fish! fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jul 20, 2015

Follow That Fish!
Mar 8, 2007

AllLuckySevens posted:

Rocket League is the real deal. Picked it up on a whim, and fell in love instantly. You think this game will maintain a healthy playerbase?

There were people playing the previous game for the seven-eight years it existed. Rocket League probably already has a bigger playerbase.

I'm sure the numbers will diminish at some point, but the core gameplay is just so loving good that I think quite a lot of people will stay hooked.

Follow That Fish!
Mar 8, 2007
After being down by three goals on regular time in a ranked 3vs3, we came back and equalised nine seconds before full time.

Then this happened on OT: http://gfycat.com/IdleImmaculateFlies

Then we won.

This loving game.

Follow That Fish!
Mar 8, 2007

Feenix posted:

I'm swearing off Ranked until punishments are in place for leavers. This poo poo is ridic.

I lost rank for leaving two reeeeaaaallllyy laggy ranked 3vs3's. They might have done it already in a server side patch.

Not really a fan of this either. Those games were obviously destined to lag from the beginning, and I would rather not play those.

Follow That Fish!
Mar 8, 2007

Azran posted:

AI players in this game are really, really good. I've seen so many of them do hattricks.

They are way more accurate than most people when you allow them to take shots from the ground, yes. After you play and learn for a bit, the bots get pretty predictable. They can't fly or boost jump at all, which gives humans a huge advantage.

Follow That Fish!
Mar 8, 2007
Was matched against I Am A Tree and Famiy for a ranked 3vs3.

:stare:

Seeing these top level guys in my own match was incredible. They beat us 3-1, but I guess that was a fairly valiant effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Follow That Fish!
Mar 8, 2007
Was quite happy to finally pull one of these off.

https://gfycat.com/FamousMistyEyra