Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Holy poo poo, this book is off to an incredible start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

gently caress. gently caress.

#2-8 cannot come out soon enough!

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
This really was Avengers #45 or New Avengers #34. I'm so loving depressed right now.

So, are we assuming Battleworld was Ultimate Reed's idea?

There were a few great character moments, as Punisher and Cyclops got nice Christmas presents. :in smith:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

PelvicNerve posted:

So, are we assuming Battleworld was Ultimate Reed's idea?

The book beginning and ending with Doom is making me think Battleworld will be his thing and Reed/Maker/Survivors end up there. I don't think Ultimate Reed cares enough about other universes to try to save any of them.

Cyclops owned. Punisher owned.

Susan dying pretty much ruined my day/week/year.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

:gaz:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The book beginning and ending with Doom is making me think Battleworld will be his thing and Reed/Maker/Survivors end up there. I don't think Ultimate Reed cares enough about other universes to try to save any of them.

Dead Rocket was the worst for me :smith: Oh and also Marvel Universe 1961-2015

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Marvel Universe 1961-2015
Ultimate Universe 2000-2015

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.
:stare:

Well, that's one way to start an event.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Holy poo poo need the other issues immediately.

That was a hell of a kickoff.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Also really glad Ribic is doing art on this book, I love his stuff.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

zoux posted:

Also really glad Ribic is doing art on this book, I love his stuff.

Yeah, the knowledge that every issue is at least going to have art as good as this one is really comforting. Especially coming out of Avengers/New Avengers.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

:smith: is pretty much my reaction. Hell of a beginning (in a good way).

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Uh, so The Punisher logo is on the last page. I can't imagine it's not significant.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

Uh, so The Punisher logo is on the last page. I can't imagine it's not significant.

Skulls also mean death.

Senor Candle posted:

Yeah, the knowledge that every issue is at least going to have art as good as this one is really comforting. Especially coming out of Avengers/New Avengers.

Fuckin Deodato man...

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

zoux posted:

Skulls also mean death.

Right, but I can't imagine mr logos and graphs would just use it for a generic stand-in.

e: As great as Ribic is, this has really highlighted for me an "O"-face problem he might have.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 16:01 on May 6, 2015

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

zoux posted:

Fuckin Deodato man...

Deodato wasn't even the worst imo.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Senor Candle posted:

Deodato wasn't even the worst imo.

You don't like Lenlil Yu?

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

zoux posted:

You don't like Lenlil Yu?

I like Yu well enough!
The worst was going from Schiti's beautiful K-pop Namor to whoever drew that last part of the issue where he blew up that first planet.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
I like the name of the shop/restaurant on the page with Spidey telling everyone to get off the streets: NONOFUKU

Nycticeius
Feb 25, 2008

This is the part when you try to stop me and I beat the hell out of you.

redbackground posted:

I like the name of the shop/restaurant on the page with Spidey telling everyone to get off the streets: NONOFUKU

I'm guessing that's the 616 version of the Momofuku chain of restaurants. Well, was.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Well that was intense.

I don't think it really stands on its own without New/Avengers. New readers are going to be terribly alienated.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Little Mac posted:

Well that was intense.

I don't think it really stands on its own without New/Avengers. New readers are going to be terribly alienated.

Would have made a better final issue of Avengers for sure. A super horribly depressing ending but still.

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe
Jesus Christ, I need the rest of this yesterday.

I guess that the in-universe explanation for the end of the F4. Ultimate Reed vs. 616 Reed who's just lost his entire family is going to be good! :smith:

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Yvonmukluk posted:

On a related note, anyone noticed Mightygodking (of 'I Should Write Doctor Strange' fame) hasn't been posting on his site lately? :tinfoil:

He's a working lawyer and he's apartment-hunting. Sorry, man, it's just life.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

chami posted:

Jesus Christ, I need the rest of this yesterday.

I guess that the in-universe explanation for the end of the F4. Ultimate Reed vs. 616 Reed who's just lost his entire family is going to be good! :smith:

Don't forget Doom, arguably, had a piece of that rage, at least w/r/t Valeria in theory.

Can we stop doing the spoiler code now? It's a pita on mobile

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Wanderer posted:

He's a working lawyer and he's apartment-hunting. Sorry, man, it's just life.

Aw man, I was hoping for a surprise announcement from Marvel of a new Doctor Strange book.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

This is a discussion thread. Spoilers are not required for Secret Wars talk.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

gfanikf posted:

Don't forget Doom, arguably, had a piece of that rage, at least w/r/t Valeria in theory.

Also Namor on account of dat sweet blonde rear end.

But honestly, Franklin was in there and if you think a little thing like being ripped apart by cosmic forces outside all space and time would even slow him down you didn't look at who was writing this book.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There is nothing that will ever make me care about this multiversal poo poo. I just hope that it doesn't gently caress over the books that I'm reading. If I wanted to read stories that would every so often be thrown away like so much garbage in order to repeat the same basic points over again, I'd read DC.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I wonder if Phoenix-Cyclops will be the new status quo after Secret Wars. Keep the young Scott around as Cyclops, and rename the old Scott as Phoenix.

Pretty excited to see him in a major role.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

SlothfulCobra posted:

There is nothing that will ever make me care about this multiversal poo poo. I just hope that it doesn't gently caress over the books that I'm reading. If I wanted to read stories that would every so often be thrown away like so much garbage in order to repeat the same basic points over again, I'd read DC.

You are aware that this is the first time Marvel has done this, if in fact it is even what they are doing.

Codependent Poster posted:

I wonder if Phoenix-Cyclops will be the new status quo after Secret Wars. Keep the young Scott around as Cyclops, and rename the old Scott as Phoenix.

So like, they haven't talked about this Phoenix Egg in mainline X-books at all huh?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Codependent Poster posted:

I just love him just floating in riding a loving sentinel while everyone is killing everyone esle doing his Phoenix thing while monologing to himself.

Phoenix Cyclops is the Best Cyclops.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

head58 posted:

But honestly, Franklin was in there and if you think a little thing like being ripped apart by cosmic forces outside all space and time would even slow him down you didn't look at who was writing this book.

Same, but also Spider-Man.

I like how they were unafraid to kill major characters on-panel, even if it'll be undone. Rocket getting a hole in his chest was depressing.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

SlothfulCobra posted:

All this is doing is cleaning up continuity and moving the Ultimate universe over to 616 proper, probably. It's not like they're promoting some big clusterfuck reboot and the end of the multiverse.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It seems kind of odd to me that Scott Summers was on the lifeboat list, unless that was a last minute audible by Manifold.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

You're right, I thought something was an implication U Reed was collecting stuff/people but upon rereading, it's more likely that he was just preparing their own city/raft.

Doom certainly looks like he could be going back to Secret Wars 1 #10-12 power levels.

Rereading the issue, there's a lot of stuff we don't actually see play out: Miles looking at Ultimate Reed's stuff, the actual effects of the Phoenix egg and Manifold staying behind in the machine.

I assume the machine is another take on the bridge, from that time Black Swan told Reed to build a machine that functioned on need. Coupled with Manifold recently finding out that his powers weren't just regular teleportation but could also work on need, I could see him saving a shitload of people by getting them somewhere outside the multiverse.

Also, that Hulkball special was a thing of beauty.

Edit: Manifold didn't have a list, he just teleported necessary people. It's unclear whether Cyclops ends there thanks to the Phoenix egg or Manifold.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

zoux posted:

It seems kind of odd to me that Scott Summers was on the lifeboat list, unless that was a last minute audible by Manifold.

If I was trying to rebuild the universe from scratch, I'd want the rear end in a top hat who just slammed a 16oz of something called "Phoenix" too.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Yeah I think Cyclops just teleports himself there. Also why did Manifold teleport Star-Lord onto the ship?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

zoux posted:

Manifold didn't choose, his power is based on need. At that time, his powers were just picking up people who were "needed."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

zoux posted:

So like, they haven't talked about this Phoenix Egg in mainline X-books at all huh?

No. Because Bendis.

Theoretically it'll all get set up by Uncanny #600 but I'm not holding my breath.

zoux posted:

That was definitely an audible. Guy With Phoenix Powers would be pretty handy to have onboard your make-a-new-universe crew.

• Locked thread