Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Little Mac posted:

Yeah I think Cyclops just teleports himself there. Also why did Manifold teleport Star-Lord onto the ship?

I kind of doubt that since he looked kind of confused when he got there. As to why each person was chosen I'm sure we'll find out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Little Mac posted:

Yeah I think Cyclops just teleports himself there. Also why did Manifold teleport Star-Lord onto the ship?

Because Guardians made $800 million at the box office.

Also, I thought that they had made a huge rear end list of people who were going on the lifeboat, based on the "Is Tony going or not" debate in the last Avengers book, and Manifold was supposed to complete that list if everything went to hell.

Codependent Poster posted:

Manifold didn't choose, his power is based on need. At that time, his powers were just picking up people who were "needed."

Ah that's right.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I'm trying to remember, who was the guy died when transporting thorr and the other guys to where the beyonders were? I think I'm getting him and Manifold mixed up.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

head58 posted:

But honestly, Franklin was in there and if you think a little thing like being ripped apart by cosmic forces outside all space and time would even slow him down you didn't look at who was writing this book.

Also, we know Franklin survives per Avengers.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Monaghan posted:

I'm trying to remember, who was the guy died when transporting thorr and the other guys to where the beyonders were? I think I'm getting him and Manifold mixed up.

Nightmask

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

With everything dead and nothing more to lose, I'm hyped as all hell for T'Challa and Reed to find out that Namor is alive (and was helping the other side)

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

squidgee posted:

Also, we know Franklin survives per Avengers.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

Hah - true enough.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I didn't know what to expect and somehow it exceeded every expectation I had.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

GOD AM I SO PUMPED FOR THIS EVENT

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

head58 posted:

Also Namor on account of dat sweet blonde rear end.

But honestly, Franklin was in there and if you think a little thing like being ripped apart by cosmic forces outside all space and time would even slow him down you didn't look at who was writing this book.

Yeah I was thinking about Namor too, but he is kind of a weird broken man and I feel like him and Black Panther are the ones destined for a big and (intentionally) pointless massive death battle because at this point they are pretty much those two dudes from that Star Trek who are the last of their races or countries or whatever.

I also agree based on Franklin being on board that they're going to be fine. I mean we already know what a Reed without a family is like...well it varies but being a sociopath is a common occurrence...although he did have Nathaniel so it's an odd variable. If anything it makes this Reed now truly unique...I'm predicting a Doom Reed team up on U. Reed as 616 Reed may be more disposed to vengeance now (no idea why just family variables do tend to affect Reed a lot).

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I was looking through Avengers for when Franklin was talking about how time works and found something cool on the next page.
(Edit: It's Avengers #32 btw)

Steve in his power suit fighting Tony in what looks like his Superior Iron Man armor, albeit with an actual helmet. This was back in Original Sin, had we really heard anything about SIXIS at that point?

Senor Candle fucked around with this message at 18:28 on May 6, 2015

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Senor Candle posted:

Steve in his power suit fighting Tony in what looks like his Superior Iron Man armor, albeit with an actual helmet. This was back in Original Sin, had we really heard anything about SIXIS at that point?

Yes Axis was October to December in 2014, that issue was published in July 2014

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
There's very little chance Franklin doesn't survive, he's already been established to be one of two dudes who would survive the heat death of the universe into the next one.
Writing this, I realize there is supposed to be a next universe anyway.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

What to make of Cyclops and Thanos having matching dialogue and, in the end, speech bubbles?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Little Mac posted:

What to make of Cyclops and Thanos having matching dialogue and, in the end, speech bubbles?

Can someone explain when Scott got his PhD and also what the deal with the Phoenix Egg?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

gfanikf posted:

also what the deal with the Phoenix Egg?
You know as much as everybody else.

I was expecting Scott to get super-pissed once he teleported into the raft, a la Kirk in Star Trek VI after Spock beams him up off Rura Penthe just as Kirk was going to learn who set him up.

:argh: "Couldn't you have waited two seconds?!"

redbackground fucked around with this message at 19:13 on May 6, 2015

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

gfanikf posted:

Can someone explain when Scott got his PhD and also what the deal with the Phoenix Egg?

Colossus laid it before he lost his powers.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

gfanikf posted:

If you're referring to him being called "professor," the need for a PhD is determined by the institution offering the position, and there's plenty of cases of individuals without PhDs (or equivalent) becoming professors, though it isn't common. When you're the head of your institution like Scott (and it's not like Nation X/The Xavier School is accredited), you don't really need to have any written requirements.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Flameingblack posted:

All this is doing is cleaning up continuity and moving the Ultimate universe over to 616 proper, probably. It's not like they're promoting some big clusterfuck reboot and the end of the multiverse.

What's the point of cleaning up continuity though? I mean if there's ever something weird in continuity that you don't like, you can just ignore it, writers do that all the time. If you start trying to clean up the continuity, it's an exercise in futility that will only ever make things more complicated since now a bunch of stuff will be flickering in some weird question mark zone between canon and non-canon. You can never really un-write what's been written.

Hell, a big part of the charm of the marvel universe is that without any big continuity cleanup, there's all this bounty of discarded and mostly forgotten junk to draw on whenever the writers want. Somewhere out in the depths of space, Spragg the living hill is floating around, and he could still pop up whenever. I thought that was the whole origin of the Guardians of Galaxy in the first place, just a bunch of stuff from the junk drawer put together.

zoux posted:

You are aware that this is the first time Marvel has done this, if in fact it is even what they are doing.

I'd rather it be the zeroth time they do it, because it sounds dumb.

Although they've pulled the "saving the multiverse line" plenty of times before, and it's never been interesting to me. Last time I remember was in X-Treme X-Men, where they had to plug up a hole in the multiverse because it turns out it the space between universes there's a bunch of big burly guys who tried to punch out all of existence .

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

SlothfulCobra posted:

Although they've pulled the "saving the multiverse line" plenty of times before, and it's never been interesting to me. Last time I remember was in X-Treme X-Men, where they had to plug up a hole in the multiverse because it turns out it the space between universes there's a bunch of big burly guys who tried to punch out all of existence .

Superheroes saving the world :monocle:

Probably a lot of what is driving the continuity clean up is that Marvel wants people who like the movies to be able to get into the comics as well, and see characters familiar to them.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

zoux posted:

Superheroes saving the world :monocle:

Probably a lot of what is driving the continuity clean up is that Marvel wants people who like the movies to be able to get into the comics as well, and see characters familiar to them.

Except there's no way in hell Captain America or Thor is going to look like their movie counterpart at the end of this.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Skwirl posted:

Except there's no way in hell Captain America or Thor is going to look like their movie counterpart at the end of this.

We've already seen that they don't, in fact!

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Isn't the main reason for SW (besides being a natural endpoint for Hickman's all-encompassing multi-year storylines) to clean up the Ultimate U? Besides not selling as well as it did when it first started, it must also be hella confusing for movie viewers wanting to jump into comics to realize that there's 2 main parallel marvel worlds.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Skwirl posted:

You don't think that this is going to end with a youngish Steve Rogers from somewhere being one of two Caps or man Thor being one of the Thors? You think MIles Morales is going to be the only Spiderman?

Honestly I wouldn't be terribly surprised if in 20 years when we're reading a retrospective of SW some former editor didn't say "Our primary motivation for Secret Wars was to figure out a way to make Nick Fury black".

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

zoux posted:

You don't think that this is going to end with a youngish Steve Rogers from somewhere being one of two Caps or man Thor being one of the Thors? You think MIles Morales is going to be the only Spiderman?

Honestly I wouldn't be terribly surprised if in 20 years when we're reading a retrospective of SW some former editor didn't say "Our primary motivation for Secret Wars was to figure out a way to make Nick Fury black".

Well Avengers has already shown that Falcon Cap is staying and same with female Thor. Nick Fury is already black in the main universe. This seems to be a mixture of it being the 30th anniversary of the original secret war, folding in the Ultimate Universe, people revisiting alternate realities and bringing them into the fold, and Hickman finishing a crazy rear end story.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

zoux posted:

We've already seen old Cap in a post Secret Wars story. So no it's not going to undo that.

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
Man, I still hate the Children of Tomorrow. Our nebulous powers of being advanced and bald allow us to do anything! Stand back mortals, and be in awe of our power loaders from Aliens! I think for something that represents the future, the Children are pretty bland, unimaginative, and down to earth. Really just kind of an extension of the pathetic ego of 1610 Reed.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Deadpool posted:

We've already seen old Cap in a post Secret Wars story. So no it's not going to undo that.

Was that in FCBD Avengers? I haven't read that one yet.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

zoux posted:

I think there will be a young Steve Rogers and maybe a man named Thor capable of lifting the hammer but the cover of comics will show a black Captain America and a woman Thor and the company line will be that they are real versions.

I don't think anyone expects Miles to be the only spiderman.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

zoux posted:

It's in Rage of Ultron.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

TNG posted:

Man, I still hate the Children of Tomorrow. Our nebulous powers of being advanced and bald allow us to do anything! Stand back mortals, and be in awe of our power loaders from Aliens! I think for something that represents the future, the Children are pretty bland, unimaginative, and down to earth. Really just kind of an extension of the pathetic ego of 1610 Reed.

Isn't that kind of the point? Granted I haven't read the Ultimates issues yet where they were introduced but it seems that U. Reed wouldn't want the future of humanity to actually eclipse him in imagination or intelligence but merely to be tehcnologically advanced pawns for him to use as needed.

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
Oh yes, indeed it is. It's just that I've always hated their design and their vaguely defined power set which amounts to "They can beat you now". If you're going to have an advanced race of Post Human Supers with near magic like technology, maybe don't have them be a buncha bland bald people in power loaders.

Because I really just nod my head whenever they show up and say, "Okay Hickman, this nerd in a space forklift can take out Blackbolt, okay." I just don't take them seriously at all. I like Maker Reed a lot, a very interesting direction to take the character, but some of his baggage is dumb as gently caress.

TNG fucked around with this message at 20:53 on May 6, 2015

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

zoux posted:

Old Steve is at Hank Pym's funeral in Rage of Ultron. In the FCBD Avengers book the only mention of him is that he and Falcon had a major falling out and are no longer on speaking terms.

As for Miles the speculation is that he'll be called Spidey instead of Spider-Man now that he's going to be in the 616 universe.

We know already that Thor is worthy again, but we know he won't be taking the hammer back. Wolverine is the only recent change I could see them walking back in this event and I don't even really think they'll do that.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I'm also just gonna guess that older Scott is the new Phoenix from here on out, too.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Just found out about this today. I stopped reading Marvel back at the end of Secret Invasion, I'm kind of excited to see them doing a total reset. Hoping it will fare better than the new 52 ended up.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Kingtheninja posted:

Just found out about this today. I stopped reading Marvel back at the end of Secret Invasion, I'm kind of excited to see them doing a total reset. Hoping it will fare better than the new 52 ended up.

It's really not going to be a total reset.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Deadpool posted:

As for Miles the speculation is that he'll be called Spidey instead of Spider-Man now that he's going to be in the 616 universe.
This better get me a Spidey Super Stories book.

EDIT:

Senor Candle posted:

It's really not going to be a total reset.
Yeah, I'm *really* surprised how many people are buying into the hype this time around.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Kingtheninja posted:

:ssh:
it's not a total reset

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
I think I'm interested in Secret Wars because it will allow a lot of different creators the chance to tell interesting stories with lots and lots of alternate versions of mostly static characters. It's like 4 months of What-Ifs? and Elseworlds. M.O.D.O.K. is going to be a fixture in like 4 books for God's sake!

• Locked thread