Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Yvonmukluk posted:

On a related note, anyone noticed Mightygodking (of 'I Should Write Doctor Strange' fame) hasn't been posting on his site lately? :tinfoil:

He's a working lawyer and he's apartment-hunting. Sorry, man, it's just life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

zoux posted:

It seems kind of odd to me that Scott Summers was on the lifeboat list, unless that was a last minute audible by Manifold.

If I was trying to rebuild the universe from scratch, I'd want the rear end in a top hat who just slammed a 16oz of something called "Phoenix" too.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

This issue probably would've worked better for me if they'd done the old new-character viewpoint dodge, so the explanations and worldbuilding would've felt a bit more organic. As it is, Hickman had to throw an "as you know, Bob" in there, which is usually a sign of problems.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

That was my point, his argument was literally "heroes can't do a thing because it might inconvience them" which is a weird argument to make about comic book characters, espeically superhero ones.

I'd figure risking the ire of what they know as an immortal god-figure and his army of virtually unstoppable hammer-wielding demi-gods against not only themselves but their somewhat large civilian population is a bit more than an "inconvenience."

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I don't think "Old Man Logan" would be anywhere near as tolerable were it not for Steve McNiven's art.

Yeah, Millar's a little more reined-in than usual, "Spider-Bitch" and the inbred family of Hulks notwithstanding, but McNiven makes the book.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I'm hoping that the conversation at the start of the issue and the upcoming Netflix series mean that Ewing will get to write a Defenders book towards the end of the year.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I'm way more entertained by Devil Dinosaur, Assistant Editor in Planet Hulk's mail page than I really should be.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Fuckstick Electric posted:

How do any of the Cyclopses powers work? Did some dimensions survive to fuel his bullshit-'laser' vision?

He metabolizes solar energy to turn into optic blasts. There's an old issue of X-Men where they're in a dimension without a sun and his head turns into a portal to the "Rude Push Dimension."

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I really enjoyed Spider-Man standing behind Reed during the confrontation like a sarcastic Greek chorus.

"You put yourself on a throne."
"And we're all really shocked by that, by the way."

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

zoux posted:

Hmm so you're saying that Reed Richards built some sort of cataclysmic way overkill doomsday bomb as a failsafe against prisoner escape. Why, that doesn't sound like him at all.

I suppose if your bomb was there to theoretically gank Annihilus, it's not a terrible idea to go for overkill.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Dan Didio posted:

Bendis writes dialogue that's a stupid person's idea of what punchy, witty patter is like.

Bendis wears his influences very much on his sleeves; he's trying for David Mamet or Harold Pinter and he rarely hits that mark. I really do think that he's ill-suited to both 22-page monthly comics and to genres outside crime, although he's not as gravely miscast as, say, Larry Hama doing Wolverine.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Shawn posted:

Are you saying that Hama was a bad fit for Wolverine? Like Hama's Wolverine is bad?

It's not as bad as his Batman was, but I remember it as terribly awkward. If it offends you, strike "Wolverine," insert "Batman."

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Sometimes I wonder what mad shenanigans we'd be discussing if Jim Shooter hadn't spent a decade shutting Claremont down.

I'm pretty sure Kitty Pryde would've eaten more pussy than ALF.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Jiro posted:

I thought that was an editorial decision to get Claremont to quit his poo poo.

It's kind of a long story.

Claremont always thought of Colossus as being about 17 when he comes to join the X-Men, although the sliding timescale doesn't exactly play ball with this. He's "nearly 20" just after the first Secret Wars, when Kitty's yet to turn 15.

Either way, the age gap isn't huge and Claremont thought it would be cute if Kitty had a crush on Peter. That in turn resulted in the flash-forward relationship in the original "Days of Future Past" storyline, where Kitty and Peter are married and have had children. Claremont proceeded to play with it over the course of the next few dozen issues, with Kitty having a crush on Peter and Peter being too awkward to really respond, but by the end of it they were basically dating and it was relatively chaste.

Shooter eventually decided this had to stop, because it looked an awful lot like a 20-something man and a 13-year-old girl hooking up, and threw a wrench in the works with the original Secret Wars. Shooter wrote a subplot in that where Peter falls in love with a weird healer lady from an alien world, and it was specifically there to break Peter and Kitty up. Claremont rolled with it and got some good soap-opera beats out of it, including the famous issue where Wolverine takes Colossus out to a bar to get him drunk and beat the poo poo out of him, but they run into Juggernaut instead.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Hollismason posted:

I've been reading comics for 30 years and this is the first time I've ever heard the Jim Shooter shut down Claremont making Illyana and Kitty Pryde a couple.

Anyone have a source on that story??

I don't think he did? It's just super easy to read a lot of the prominent friendships between women in Claremont's work as romantic, like how if Illyana was off the board somehow, the sword that was literally forged from pieces of her soul would inevitably end up with Kitty. The dude was a crazy subtext machine.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

This Alti Firmansyah chick who does the art on Star Lord & Kitty Pryde is pretty decent.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

She could be some weird blend of AoA Kitty and X-Men Forever Kitty, who had implanted claws for some reason I've repressed.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Is the Captain Britain story seriously only two issues?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

As I understand it, Battleworld isn't a planned, constructed refuge so much as it is a hail-Mary pass, built haphazardly and quickly from whatever ingredients Doom could gather on the fly and given an artificial past. He would've left a lot of things out if given the opportunity, but he didn't have that and now it's too late.

Val and Franklin were respectively 2-4 and an old-seeming 6-8 or so before Battleworld, but it's been eight actual years.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Codependent Poster posted:

What else has the artist for Star-Lord and Kitty Pryde done? I love it.

She's pretty new.

http://altifirmansyah.deviantart.com/

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

PaybackJack posted:

One of the things that was so amazing about Siege was that it was loving Thanos of all people telling Ben Grimm of all people to go be a hero. How much have they interacted over the years. I'm shocked Thanos even knew his name, but he does and in fact he calls him a hero and talks about what a great hero he was. Such a surreal moment.

One of the classic Marvel stories of the '70s is in Marvel Two-In-One Annual #2, which features the original "death" of Thanos. Spider-Man gets tapped on the shoulder by cosmic entities to go rescue the Avengers, who've been beaten down by Thanos's army, and he recruits Ben because he figures the FF probably have a spacecraft. The ensuing fight involves a Thing and Thor tag team against Thanos, and while Ben gets the worst of it, he keeps going straight at Thanos just as if he stands a chance.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Ultimate End was all worth it because Bendis took my suggestion (not really, but I did ask him about it) and brought back Rio Morales. I thought her death was a hell of a waste.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Dunbar posted:

Old Man Logan isn't from 616 or 1610 is he? I think his solo book would have to mean stuff other than the original Prime Earth and Ultimate Universe survived.

We already know that's the case, because Contest of Champions exists, which features characters from a couple of alternate Earths.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

It's not so much a story about Doom as it is about Hickman's Doom, and it seemed entirely in keeping with Hickman's Doom: he got the job done when no one else could have, but his own flaws were built into the system, and once again Reed showed up to bail him out from that. In a broad-strokes version, it's the afterlife machine from their college dorm all over again, but this time, Reed beats Doom until he has to listen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

It gets easier with time.

How the hell would you know?

• Locked thread