Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.

Senor Candle posted:

Just to hype you guys up a little more, Secret Wars #1 is REAL good. If you were at all disappointed with the end of Avengers this will make you feel much better. I can't wait for everyone to read it tomorrow.
drat, you sold me on it.
Refreshing my mailbox frantically for that comixology subscription notice to show up hours early.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
This really was Avengers #45 or New Avengers #34. I'm so loving depressed right now.

So, are we assuming Battleworld was Ultimate Reed's idea?

There were a few great character moments, as Punisher and Cyclops got nice Christmas presents. :in smith:

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The book beginning and ending with Doom is making me think Battleworld will be his thing and Reed/Maker/Survivors end up there. I don't think Ultimate Reed cares enough about other universes to try to save any of them.

Cyclops owned. Punisher owned.

Susan dying pretty much ruined my day/week/year.

You're right, I thought something was an implication U Reed was collecting stuff/people but upon rereading, it's more likely that he was just preparing their own city/raft.

Doom certainly looks like he could be going back to Secret Wars 1 #10-12 power levels.

Rereading the issue, there's a lot of stuff we don't actually see play out: Miles looking at Ultimate Reed's stuff, the actual effects of the Phoenix egg and Manifold staying behind in the machine.

I assume the machine is another take on the bridge, from that time Black Swan told Reed to build a machine that functioned on need. Coupled with Manifold recently finding out that his powers weren't just regular teleportation but could also work on need, I could see him saving a shitload of people by getting them somewhere outside the multiverse.

Also, that Hulkball special was a thing of beauty.

Edit: Manifold didn't have a list, he just teleported necessary people. It's unclear whether Cyclops ends there thanks to the Phoenix egg or Manifold.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
There's very little chance Franklin doesn't survive, he's already been established to be one of two dudes who would survive the heat death of the universe into the next one.
Writing this, I realize there is supposed to be a next universe anyway.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
The movie talk seems mostly like nonsense to me. The facts Xavier died 10 times, Metoxo the Lava Man never showed up, Thanos had an helicopter, Carol Danvers had a super lovely rape story or Spider-Man had a terrible armor have zero bearing on current continuity and don't need to be erased. They aren't a hindrance to moviegoers. Marvel has always worked with status quo (not continuity) resets acting as jumping points. A complete reset wouldn't achieve more.

I don't see them putting the X-Men outside of a main continuity either, there was talk about that. Cyclops is front and center right now. I understand trying to not introduce too many new mutants, but X-books aren't going away.

So yeah, the biggest issue is getting rid of the Ultimate line as it has really no specificity right now.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.

SirDan3k posted:

Thanos-copter was not from the 616 universe sadly.
Okay, now this is deeply unsettling. Day ruined.

I second the motion to make the Ultimate ark the new Thanoscopter.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.

SynthOrange posted:

Hell yeah!

Oh fuuuuuuuuck
Don't be a hater, he might be able to trace a mean Perez.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
That was fantastic. It's really AoA, 1602 or House of M took to the nth power. Right now, I don't want this status quo to end and I'm done trying to presume what the hell this means in the grand scheme of Marvel things. Just gonna enjoy the ride. So many nice touches, this is a love letter to the Marvel Universe(s).

I second the notion this could have been issue #1. And yeah, they didn't lie, great jumping point for anyone.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
Yeah, James Braddock gets more poo poo than Wile E. Coyote. I love it. :britain:

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.

BrianWilly posted:

So I take it that I'm the only one who didn't really enjoy Hickman and everyone in his story figuratively and literally slurping at Doom's dick for fifty pages.
I guess you meant "figuratively and figuratively" or I didn't get the right edition. And yes, I'm not sure we read the same book, I somehow managed to see other stuff in these fifty pages, like the shitload of world building actually going on.
Finally, I didn't take every Doom moment as "yeah he's right and great". I mean, the whole thing about censorship and controlling information didn't come across as an analogy for "gently caress yeah, Kim Jong Un".

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
I wonder if that Molecule Man statue means Doom made him a statue to make sure he'd never go off in order to protect whatever was left of the old world.

It does look like Doom was successful in getting rid of the Beyonders though. I retread NA #33 recently and I think he somehow managed to actually erase them from history (he tells them as much and mentions his edge over them is that he can go back in time).

Really cool issue. I love the Strange-Doom bromance.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
Kristoff? Victor left him behind when he leapt back in time with MM. So he's probably like 99.9% of the 616 population: recreated by Doom or miraculously raptured through some unseen yet device.

Weird that we haven't seen him in SW though.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.

notthegoatseguy posted:

You guys who like Doom/Strange should really read that story Stern wrote when Doc owed Doom a favor because he was runner up in the sorcerer Supreme contest.
I vaguely remember reading an OGN (?) when I was a kid, that featured both of them. Might have had some Mignolia art. My google skills are poo poo but was that the one?
I loved Marvel OGNs.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
In retrospect, when Swan mentioned worlds offered to Rabum Alal, she wasn't as crazy as I thought. I'm not saying incursions were designed to gather this data but at least, they did provide data.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.

redbackground posted:

It seems like this exact same conversation happened just days ago.
Too early for flapjacks?

To be honest, I'd have impulse bought it digitally if it was available. Instead, I'll try to exhume my Marvel GN stash next time I visit my parents. I'm so going to get sidetracked digging through that.

• Locked thread