Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Well that was intense.

I don't think it really stands on its own without New/Avengers. New readers are going to be terribly alienated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

head58 posted:

But honestly, Franklin was in there and if you think a little thing like being ripped apart by cosmic forces outside all space and time would even slow him down you didn't look at who was writing this book.

Same, but also Spider-Man.

I like how they were unafraid to kill major characters on-panel, even if it'll be undone. Rocket getting a hole in his chest was depressing.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Yeah I think Cyclops just teleports himself there. Also why did Manifold teleport Star-Lord onto the ship?

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

What to make of Cyclops and Thanos having matching dialogue and, in the end, speech bubbles?

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I thought this issue was supposed to have a tour of Battleworld with profiles on the different regions.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Captain America and the Mighty Avengers #9 was an absolutely incredible book. Ewing gets every single one of these characters and what they're about. The phone team scene was downright heartbreaking, as was the ending.

I hope they come back after Secret Wars.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Edge & Christian posted:

The characters who weren't some sort of [Squadron] Supreme [Power] analogues in that issue were all from the original New Universe, so presumably the New Universe?

Dr. Zero and the Knights of St. George were from Shadowline.
Nutopia is the New Universe.
And then of course there was obviously Supreme Power, as well. I liked Squadron Sinister. It's the Justice Lords vs. Marvel's misfit toys.

Re: Old Man Logan

I don't think it's actually a wall he climbed. It seems more like the Wastelands are in a valley. Blink is with the early AOA X-Men and it all works continuity-wise with the original AOA.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Deadpool posted:

Probably referring to lazily named Cap-X from that old Mutant X series.

I don't recall them ever calling him that...

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Read Ultimate End and holy gently caress it's god damned terrible.

We get a scene of 616 Punisher getting Ultimate Punisher and thinking the other is an impostor. This ends with 616 killing Ultimate. This is then followed immediately by Ultimate Punisher killing people.

Get your poo poo together, Bendis.

Not true. Ultimate Punisher kills 616 Punisher. It's not really confusing at all? Not that it was a great book or anything - it's okay.

Re: Secret Wars #4: Great book. I feel like Cyclops is going to be part of the resurrection at the end of this, bringing back himself and Strange first.

Other books I read this week:

Red Skull - I dug the ending, what with killing off the entire cast. Good bait and switch. I also hope Magneto fuckin' hates the Red Skull. All the other books seem to stem from What Ifs and crossover events, and this seems pretty Axis to me.

X-Tinction Agenda - I hate the art in this book. We also kinda get the same ending two books in a row. Yes, the Genegineer is going to resurrect Cameron Hodge. OH NO NOT THAT GUY THEY ALREADY KILLED. Also the whole virus thing is so nebulous - what does it even do? I liked the take on Beast playing with time, though, pulling forward dead members of the Giant-Size era team.

Years of Future Past - I think it's kinda obvious that Catherine and Connor are actually siblings, right? The powers, the way they're drawn, the relationship Connor has with Wolverine. Decent book, though.

Future Imperfect - I like this book, honestly. It's taking everything Peter David and rolling it in - you've got Hulk and X-Factor stuff mixed in. Seemed like nothing happened but I hope it's building to something cool.

A-Force - Eh, it's okay. A decent enough mystery and a pretty cool team (I like Dazzler being put up there with upper-tier characters like She-Hulk and Captain Marvel). I also liked the cameo by Gert from Runaways.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Oh I forgot about SWJournal. The Doc Samson story was cool and it was written by Scott Aukerman, to boot! I really liked the noir-verse story with the Age of Apocalypse refugees, but, uh, I don't think the noir-verse is one of Battleworld's domains, is it?

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Thanks for the unmarked spoilers!

It's release week. Not a spoiler.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Isn't there already an Illyana and Colossus from Limbo that are very different?

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

The Berzerker posted:

Future Imperfect was OK but I'm not sure if I was supposed to recognize the guy revealed at the end or not, because I didn't.

I'm thinking elderly Rick Jones from the original FI.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Inferno was merely okay until this week when it got rad.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

zoux posted:

Evil Reed is still talking that way in the Ultimates preview so looks like that's gonna be the convention going forward.

Oddly enough, however, Miles was not in ASM. Did he have upper-case in the FCBD Avengers issue?

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

X-O posted:

Uh, yes he was. In one of the backup stories. With uppercase speech bubbles.

Sorry, meant "was not speaking in lower-case."

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

SalTheBard posted:

Can someone explain Years of the Future Past? I didn't understand it at all.

This is from memory so here goes:

It's DOFP. Kitty and Colossus have been living in a concentration camp and have raised their daughter, who seems to be able to turn into liquid metal or something. Magneto lives there too and they have this big idea to save Baron Kelly from an assassination and get mutants freed. Meanwhile, Wolverine has been raising another kid and he's gonna help out. The two kids are potentially the last mutants ever.

Turns out the two kids are siblings and Wolverine's been raising the son of Kitty and Colossus because...? Then they go and meet some other mutants, like Nightcrawler who runs the local church of Doom and is immune to human attacks and Angel who runs an underground city for mutants.

Sentinels attack and they're gonna go save Kelly with the catch that Magneto is controlling the Sentinel that will try to assassinate him. They find out the real plan is to kill Kitty's daughter because it will start a war or something and yeah! Rachel Summers has been helping with this plan and everyone is mad. Magneto gets killed and everyone is upset but then Kitty's son decides to enact the plan in a new way: murder Kelly!

He goes to murder the Baron. His sister has to kill him to stop him. Everyone is sad but Kelly seems to have a change of heart about mutants.

There was a metaphorical conversation about tigers eating people and bad choices or something and then the tigers EAT Magneto's corpse I guess and then Kitty sees the tiger and THE END HOLY poo poo AAAAHHHHHH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I thought the Thanos scene was a great mirror of the Thanos/Cap scene from Infinity Gauntlet.

• Locked thread