Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

Moridin920 posted:

ah well that's just the corporate interests who run america doing their thing, lol if you think a GOP president wouldn't also have TPP going at this very moment

Yeah a GOP President definitely would be a huge fan of the TPP, and hard-right GOPers are exactly who are supporting the President on this.

Is this something that should be expected of a Democratic President? And if so, what's the point of supporting Democrats? Gay marriage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

Abe Froman posted:

Hilarious that people defend this poo poo president.

X1000000000000000000

Fusilli Jerry
Dec 13, 2013

ASSMAN
Haven't you guys heard that it's now cool to like Georgie?

http://www.vanityfair.com/news/2013/12/george-w-bush-cade-foster-hipster-paintings

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Abe Froman posted:

You do realize he had a democratic congress for two years and didn't get poo poo done then, either. Hilarious that people defend this poo poo president.

You do realize they didn't have a supermajority and still couldn't get poo poo passed because the GOP refused to negotiate in good faith on anything and just filibustered and voted no on everything? It's the same reason the GOP isn't passing poo poo left and right even though they've been a majority in Congress the last two years.

City of Tampa posted:

Yeah a GOP President definitely would be a huge fan of the TPP, and hard-right GOPers are exactly who are supporting the President on this.

Is this something that should be expected of a Democratic President? And if so, what's the point of supporting Democrats? Gay marriage?

I just think it's funny that people are decrying Obama as the worst president ever when it was Clinton and Bush that allowed Wall Street to get so loving powerful. I'm not saying support the Dems, they're just as bad as the GOP at this point. But Bush was definitely worse than Obama. Their policy is the same except Bush couldn't string two sentences together.

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

Moridin920 posted:

Bush was definitely worse than Obama. Their policy is the same

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Abe Froman posted:

You do realize he had a democratic congress for two years and didn't get poo poo done then, either. Hilarious that people defend this poo poo president.

Dems had 60 votes in the Senate for like two weeks thanks to Kennedy dying and the Minnesota GOP contesting Franken's win for months

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

right except at least Obama doesn't embarrass me every time he talks to someone on TV

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

Zeno-25 posted:

Dems had 60 votes in the Senate for two weeks thanks to Kennedy dying and the Minnesota GOP contesting Franken's win for months

Actually it was 72 days.

Imagine the ruined hellscape that America would become if the Republicans had 59 seats in the Senate, the White House, and a majority in the House for any period of time.

Democrats get that for years and what do we have to show for it? Bob Doles's 1996 health care plan and a pile of excuses. And scorn for the disappointed left.

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

Moridin920 posted:

right except at least Obama doesn't embarrass me every time he talks to someone on TV

Oh OK, that 's definitely worth completely surrendering the executive branch and all of the policy it creates to Wall Street and business interests. I'm sure you'll love Hillary's administration.

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS

Oh look!
He showed up for picture day!

Sleeveless posted:

Remember 2004 when he was re-elected based mostly on convincing people that his competitor, a decorated Vietnam combat veteran with three Purple Hearts, actually hated the troops

Remember the 'purple heart band-aids' the Republicans wore to actually MOCK his service, saying he didn't deserve the medals?
I couldn't imagine how I'd feel if I was a veteran seeing that.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

City of Tampa posted:

Oh OK, that 's definitely worth completely surrendering the executive branch and all of the policy it creates to Wall Street and business interests. I'm sure you'll love Hillary's administration.

idk why goons have this weird thing where all decisions are binary. Just because I don't think Obama is as bad as Bush doesn't suddenly mean I love him. He is bad, just not as bad as the person who had Colin Powell lying in front of the UN to justify a war in a country that had nothing to do with anything while simultaneously defunding education and giving tax breaks to billionaires.

Just because I think the GOP is evil doesn't mean I don't also think the Dems are awful. Idk where you got that I'm a Hillary supporter out of all this.

Sleeveless posted:

Remember 2004 when he was re-elected based mostly on convincing people that his competitor, a decorated Vietnam combat veteran with three Purple Hearts, actually hated the troops

yeah jesus dude the negative ads were ridiculous

"yeah he maybe led the charge in Vietnam on some pontoon speed boat things and is a decorated veteran but he was really a PUSSY!" - a guy who dodged the draft

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 17:13 on May 6, 2015

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
b b b b but obama

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

Moridin920 posted:

idk why goons have this weird thing where all decisions are binary. Just because I don't think Obama is as bad as Bush doesn't suddenly mean I love him. He is bad, just not as bad as the person who had Colin Powell lying in front of the UN to justify a war in a country that had nothing to do with anything while simultaneously defunding education and giving tax breaks to billionaires.

Just because I think the GOP is evil doesn't mean I don't also think the Dems are awful. Idk where you got that I'm a Hillary supporter out of all this.

Obama didn't even bother to have Colin Powell lie to us, he just continued all that same poo poo and told us to deal with it.

Moridin920 posted:

the president isn't the supreme dictate and for the most part congress has been completely and utterly useless and filled with tea party assholes blocking every single piece of decent legislation?

at worst he's just as bad as bush since he's just continuing bush policy but worse than bush? lol

This sounds like some poo poo that you hear all the time from Obama defenders. The line "Well the President isn't a dictator you silly liberal" is usually what comes before some bullshit explanation of how Obama just had to make the Bush millionaire tax cuts permanent, and has to commit to endless war in the middle east, and has no control over his DOJ that ranked medical marijuana as a higher enforcement priority than the fraud that collapsed our economy.

It's a formula at this point, and it always starts with pretending that liberal expectations are/were too high. It's also the Hillary supporters mantra so forgive me if I mistook you for one.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Moridin920 posted:

"yeah he maybe led the charge in Vietnam on some pontoon speed boat things and is a decorated veteran but he was really a PUSSY!" - a guy who dodged the draft

Dubya was the perfect war hero for our time.

George didn't want to actually fight in Vietnam, but he was really strongly in favor of watching other people do it on TV and feeling patriotic. If you think back to 2001/2003, his supporters didn't actually want to actually fight in Iraq or Afghanistan (or even pay the tax bill, hence the successful strategy of cutting taxes while relying on a ballooning deficit to fund two wars) but they were really strongly in favor of watching it on CNN and feeling patriotic.

In contrast, Kerry was a terrible hero. Kerry served despite misgivings about Vietnam and then after his service actively and publicly opposed continued American involvement. This was a terrible thing to do because (i) he opposed the war, thus ruining other people's fun and (ii) he made guys who dodged the draft because they had other priorities look bad.

That poo poo is just unforgiveable.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

I'm Gay

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

City of Tampa posted:

Obama didn't even bother to have Colin Powell lie to us, he just continued all that same poo poo and told us to deal with it.

This sounds like some poo poo that you hear all the time from Obama defenders. The line "Well the President isn't a dictator you silly liberal" is usually what comes before some bullshit explanation of how Obama just had to make the Bush millionaire tax cuts permanent, and has to commit to endless war in the middle east, and has no control over his DOJ that ranked medical marijuana as a higher enforcement priority than the fraud that collapsed our economy.

It's a formula at this point, and it always starts with pretending that liberal expectations are/were too high. It's also the Hillary supporters mantra so forgive me if I mistook you for one.

Yeah well like I said he sucks no doubt about it but he's not worse than Bush. At worst they are at parity.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
LOL'in super hard over City of Tampa's posting ITT.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Obama was worse because he suckered in progressives into the democratic party then brutally owned all of them, teaching all to abandon all hope

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

You just gave me a great idea buddy.

City of Tampa posted:

Actually it was 72 days.

Imagine the ruined hellscape that America would become if the Republicans had 59 seats in the Senate, the White House, and a majority in the House for any period of time.

Democrats get that for years and what do we have to show for it? Bob Doles's 1996 health care plan and a pile of excuses. And scorn for the disappointed left.

democrats and republicans have this bad cop - crazy cop routine down. republicans threaten to shoot the government in the head with a piece of radically conservative legislation, and the democrats compromise by passing a law that isn't entirely insane but still awful. congressional gridlock exists for the rest of us, not the 1% or big business which the 1% own the majority of stocks in anyway. look at the big pieces of legislation passed in the last 30 years, the 1% haven't had it this good since the gilded age.

the public option in uhc fails once and it is dead for good. dems: we tried libs but not really :(
this trade deal is likely to fail too, but it will morph into a new peice of legislation and reappear in a couple years and then get passed. where they not succeed, try and try again.

I can't even say our political elite has been bought off by wallstreet since politicians are all investors in the stock market anyway and congression has become the biggest insider trading racket there is. or don't you think it is a little odd for a guy to come out of office millions of dollars richer than when he started.

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide

Nelson Mandingo posted:

"History will vindicate me" is the words of a leader who knows he failed.

best part is it just keeps looking worse as time drags on

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i find the idea of bush as this genial dimwit who was led astray by all the evil old men surrounding him incredibly offensive. bush has at least average intelligence and a top-notch education. all those folksy misnomers were as fake as the rest of his texan persona. he might or might not have really lead his administration, but he was certainly a willing participant.

Drad_Bert
Jun 26, 2013

by Smythe
OBAAAAAAAAMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

MY PEBBLES!!!

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Moridin920 posted:

blocking every single piece of decent legislation

buahahaha, good one

dk2m
May 6, 2009
real post; bush is smart as gently caress, atleast politically, but his policies are too rooted in Cold War sentimentalities which make absolutely no sense in today's world. the equivalent of the Roman equestrian class then became powerful enough to stake their interests which explains dick Cheney. combine the two and you get endless entertainment as the cracks become larger and larger

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Urgh I hate his loving face he looks like a chimpanzee.

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pw4Bhmm22xo

hard to believe in the folksiness angle, i think he was just a douche.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Bush > Obama at rallying angry, elderly bigots but a lot worse at not getting us in to stupid wars. Man, this is a real thinker.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Pretty sure America is controlled by the Illuminati and they replaced Obama with a doppelganger after he got elected.

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
You guys do realize that Bush, Obama, you, the world, everything none of it is real right? You are all characters in my dream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

The Sphinxster posted:

Bush > Obama at rallying angry, elderly bigots but a lot worse at not getting us in to stupid wars. Man, this is a real thinker.

we might have gone to war with iran if mccain was prez but would that really have been such a big deal? its not even that big of a country, other than the war thing the two parties are basically the same why even bother voting

• Locked thread