Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

echronorian posted:

The only shaming should be all of you for watching garbage and reading comics books

everything is garbage tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Comics are poo poo though to be fair

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

HJE-Cobra posted:

The "Bechdel test" was literally invented regarding the first Alien movie, by artist Alison Bechdel's 1985 comic strip where she mentioned it.

But yes using it as an ironclad rule is a dumb way to look at it

Regarding Black Widow, I think she's pretty cool

The Alien is a walking penis tho. Feminism loses again.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
maybe if women wanted more movies with cool women in them who talked to eachother a lot maybe women should maybe make more movies themselves instead of letting dudes make all the big movies ever while they complain on tumblr :cool:. Then they could dictate the direction of hollywood but lol thats not gonna happen

Female directors I know of:
1 - Sofia Coppola - hasnt made anything wortwhile in 4ever
2 - Kathryn Bigelow - Hurt Locker and Zero Dark Thirty
3 - ???

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
off the top of my head

Penelope Spheeris directed Wayne's World

Nora Ephron directed Sleepless in Seattle

Mimi Leder directed Deep Impact

Shrek was directed by Vicky Jenson

Jennifer Yuh directed Kung Fu Panda 2

Jennifer Lee, co directed Frozen with Chris Buck

lots of animations directed by women apparently

Nefarious
Sep 26, 2000

by XyloJW
penny marshall noobs

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
oh yeah forgot about Big

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
women need to step up they game

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
woman was gonna direct Thor 2 I think

but big Marvel was like "nah"

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

HJE-Cobra posted:

The "Bechdel test" was literally invented regarding the first Alien movie, by artist Alison Bechdel's 1985 comic strip where she mentioned it.

Baby Got Back by Sir Mixalot passes the Bechdel test

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

Fonzarelli posted:

Lol, that's true.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Fonzarelli posted:

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
A lot of seriousposts about a film based on comic strips.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

echronorian posted:

The only shaming should be all of you for watching garbage and reading comics books

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
Nothing in these dumb movies or comic book poo poo matters they'll all go back in time or split off into alternate universes where Black Widow wasn't a barren slut or something it'll be fine relax.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Junkfist posted:

Nothing in these dumb movies or comic book poo poo matters they'll all go back in time or split off into alternate universes where Black Widow wasn't a barren slut or something it'll be fine relax.

That sounds suspiciously like someone who read a comic book would say. You some kind-of comic book reading goon or something boy?

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Ork of Fiction posted:

Isn't there supposed to be some sort of shaming for a thing to be slut-shaming? Like, just saying that someone is a slut means that they sleep around for kicks.
Don't you have to also say that a woman sleeping around for kicks is bad, or is that just something that everyone already knows?

The way I understand feminism:

- If you do something (as a woman) to make you feel better about yourself, or because you believe you are just as capable as your male counterparts at doing it, that is good. This is why things like being a stripper can be seen as positive or empowering.

- If you do something (as a woman) because you think society expects you to, or it is the only way people (i.e men) will like you, or it is expressly for the pleasure of men, then it is bad. This is why things like being a stripper can be negative and shameful. There is more to it than that but I think this explains the core ideas.

The main thing though is that you get small groups of people who claim to speak for everyone else who they think is the same as them (e.g 'I'm a woman and I think women need more rights, no woman out there would disagree' - but any woman who does is thought of as privileged, or under patriarchal oppression).

Anyway, I didnt see Avegers 2. Avengers 1 was good but I don't actually remember anything about it at all except Hulk getting mad and smashing things. It didn't leave any kind of impression.

Junkfist posted:

This right here - When you own an IP you can do what you want with it. Even if it doesn't happen soon, there will be a new spin-off or reboot in the next 20 years or so for the next generation who will be just getting out of their teens. Comic book movies are going to be like Bond movies and Star Trek. There will be a point where people will say 'Yeah XYZ movie was pretty good but who even watches Marvel movies anymore? They've been around since like 2011'

TheMostFrench fucked around with this message at 13:14 on May 8, 2015

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?

mind the walrus posted:

That sounds suspiciously like someone who read a comic book would say. You some kind-of comic book reading goon or something boy?

You are never going to recover from me making fun of you.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Junkfist posted:

That was you making fun of me? You must be the kind-of guy whose mom told him every single poo poo he took was special.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

lmao

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

mind the walrus posted:

Nefarious
Sep 26, 2000

by XyloJW

Junkfist posted:

that's kind of his thing

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

HJE-Cobra posted:

I wonder if the people who love using the concept borne out of this comic pick up on the general joylessness of the characters who deny themselves basic pleasures in order to meet a meaningless standard of ideological purity.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Nefarious posted:

that's kind of his thing

Apparently all you have to do is say something and it's true now eh?

mysterious frankie posted:

I wonder if the people who love using the concept borne out of this comic pick up on the general joylessness of the characters who deny themselves basic pleasures in order to meet a meaningless standard of ideological purity.

Most people are just power-hungry and ideology is a great way to convert people to rally behind you.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
in a movie about a monster, talking about the monster is logical. what else are they supposed to talk about?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Tezzor posted:

in a movie about a monster, talking about the monster is logical. what else are they supposed to talk about?

Clothes, makeup, gossip; you know, the usual

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Tezzor posted:

theres that dinner scene in alien where everyone is just talking about whatever, does ripley really talk that much to natalie cartwright at all in alien anyway? outside of that im not really sure if much of the dialogue in alien was really written at all, it feels kind of improvised.

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

:horse:
~*~THE SECRET OF THE MAGICAL CRYSTALS IS THAT I'M FUCKING TERRIBLE~*~

:horse:

Nanomashoes posted:

The Alien is a walking penis tho. Feminism loses again.

the facehuggers are vaginas and they are what make you pregnant.

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

Zzulu posted:

maybe if women wanted more movies with cool women in them who talked to eachother a lot maybe women should maybe make more movies themselves instead of letting dudes make all the big movies ever while they complain on tumblr :cool:. Then they could dictate the direction of hollywood but lol thats not gonna happen

Female directors I know of:
1 - Sofia Coppola - hasnt made anything wortwhile in 4ever
2 - Kathryn Bigelow - Hurt Locker and Zero Dark Thirty
3 - ???

Mary Harron

Abdul Alhazred
Mar 15, 2007
"waaah Avengers doesn't pass my lesbian dialog talky test"

talking isn't the point of the movie, poo poo getting blown up and smashed is. Can feminists not appreciate a good explosion? (an explosion of semen from my micropenis that is lol)

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1097433417/feminist-men-of-new-york-a-2016-calendar

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

burritolingus posted:

Slut and whore both have negative connotations.

But, like, gay used to have bad connotations, until people realized that it doesn't affect them at all and were like "whatever. get married if u lov homosex so much."

Seems like people ought to be to the point by now where a lady can use her puss puss however she likes and the response when it's pointed out isn't all, "this is intrinsically shameful."
Get on my level, 3rd wv femsinsm.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

???

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

is it okay if we all admit that tony stark is also a massive slut

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

StashAugustine posted:

is it okay if we all admit that tony stark is also a massive slut

Tony stark raped and killed a woman in 1996.

• Locked thread