Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StuntKid
Dec 10, 2003
Hey folks,

Long story short, I've been developing a script, The Wounded over the past 2 years about a soldier who accidentally kills a child in Afghanistan, and the battle that ensues as the Afghani father comes to North America looking for revenge. We shot a trailer last year over 5 days with some of Vancouver's finest stunt people and film crew on board. We even cast Patrick Sabongui (Godzilla, The Flash, 300, White House Down, 24) as one of our leads.

We are in a large film contest in Vancouver fighting for a $1,000,000 prize to get our movie made and a guaranteed theatrical release across Canada by our largest theatre chain.

Essentially, I would love some feedback and advice from military folks, veterans, anyone who can chime in to give me some input.

Here's a quick bit of info about my film, THE WOUNDED.
This video explains it in a minute and a half, more detailed info below: http://www.thewoundedmovie.com

Why Are We Different?
The Wounded is not your traditional “revenge flick”, it’s a twist on an old genre that focuses on the dramatic effects the war has had on two people from opposite ends of a conflict in the Middle East. Traditionally a revenge flick focuses on a North American protagonist looking to kill the people who have hurt him or his family. We flip that on its head and instead follow a Muslim father from the other side of the world, who’s child was accidentally killed by a North American soldier over there while trying to keep the peace. We follow this Muslim father on his journey into the darkness, believing this is what will make things right. This is not a movie about terrorism or religion, it’s about two fathers who are more alike than they would ever know.

Concept:

A loving, working class father from Afghanistan, Naseer, travels to North America to seek revenge upon the soldier responsible for his son’s death. Back in a small, dusty country town, the soldier mentally wounded by the effects of war, Patrick, tries to patch things up with his distant family. When Naseer crosses the oceans to put a plan for justice and revenge into motion, both fathers are pushed back into the world of violence they tried to leave behind in a battle to survive each other and do right for their family.

So, as you can see, we are hitting on some touchy subjects. We are not looking to make a clear cut bad guy in this story, but really showcase what war does to people.
There is a minute long trailer here that goes into more stunts, drama, and cinematics: http://www.cinecoup.com/the-wounded/trailer

I'd love some thoughts on a few topics:

1. Do you think people would be willing to watch a movie with an empathetic anti-hero even if he's an Afghan? Do you HAVE to see the Afghani man die in the end to satisfy an audience, especially military folks? Even if we understand why he'd want revenge?

2. Our Afghani father's motivations have nothing to do with this religion, Islam, and have everything to do with finding peace by killing his son's killer (even though it was accidental). Do you, as military folk think this is feasible or would the majority of people who have been in combat be unwilling to accept this viewpoint where religion has nothing to do with his motivations to find and kill a North American soldier?

3. I posted over a year ago looking for some viewpoints on PTSD for research, and got some great responses. I have taken the majority of that out of the storyline as it's not a major focus and I want to respect a very serious topic. We do however have our hero having a hard time adjusting to being back with his family while his friends are still in combat and dying. Does anyone have experience they could talk about re-adjusting to civilian life again?

On that note, the entire point of the story is to show that there are people on the other side that are just as human we are, and are affected by the violence in conflict just as much as we are. We want the audience to be torn in the end, to not want EITHER of them to die. I'm not sure this will satisfy audiences, but I'd love thoughts on this.

I've included some of our materials below to look at.

Finally, if this sounds interesting and you like what we are doing or want to see us advance, please feel free to signup quickly, rate our videos, and VOTE for us. But this thread isn't about that, so no pressure.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, I appreciate any feedback or advice you guys are willing to give. On that note, I'm trying to expand my reach as well and would love to hear from any Muslims in the military as well, we do not want to offend anyone and want to make sure we respect both sides of the conflict. Also, I'm not religious, I was raised Christian, this is not a religious movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q
put this in it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QOkyCOG7og

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Well, for one thing, Afghani is a unit of currency.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Spicy Guacamole posted:

Well, for one thing, Afghani is a unit of currency.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
op just turn this into a feature length film tia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6J1ctr877qs

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

I watched the trailer and it looks like you're going for a typical revenge film so I guess my question is why bother about some kind of messaging poo poo here? are you making an action movie or a messaging movie

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
yo how did nasheeb or w/e get tonys canadian dd214 the same day his kid got capped?

Helldump Immunity.
Aug 2, 2013

Fuck you
Put me in it. Make me the hero.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Helldump Immunity. posted:

agreein with this

Analogical
May 20, 2013

EEOD? Why not, I could use a break from work

:911:

StuntKid posted:

A loving, working class father from Afghanistan

:lol:

It wouldn't be hard to believe that someone would be motivated by something other than Islam to want to start a revenge trip. What would be hard to get, honestly, is how capable your Afghan is in North America. The average working class Afghan has absolutely no means without external support to leave Afghanistan and would definitely not speak English, he'd be lucky if he even spoke both of Afghanistan's major languages and that's his own country. For me, regardless if his son was killed or the Koran has him infant-shaking-mad about something, I have no faith in his ability to follow through with any kind of plan to come kill a NA soldier without the support of a terrorist organization or some other group or charity. Maybe if your guy joins AQ to handle the logistics of his jihad I'd be able to get around the idea more, most people join AQ for reasons other than religion anyway.

tl;dr make the Afghan a Special Forces soldier and rename the movie "Green on Blue"

Analogical fucked around with this message at 06:03 on May 6, 2015

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
every afghanidad I saw chilled in the shade and poo poo into irrigation ditches while his wives and children busted their asses farming.

pretty much the best dadlife you could have imo.

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

It may not be interracial, but it is black and white.
I'd find it more believable if the dude were Iraqi rather than Afghan.

Delizin fucked around with this message at 06:13 on May 6, 2015

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.

Delizin posted:

is it because the protagonist isn't wearing sandals?

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Probably easier to base it in Afghanistan, I think eastern BC looks a lot like Yakima/Afghanistan in some areas.

At least the enlisted guy's car is accurate

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm glad that someone in this day and age finally has the courage to step up and say that afghans are human beings too. Goonspeed.

Fucitol
May 8, 2005

Ceterum autem censeo mundum esse delendam

Memento, homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris
it looks like people haven't earnestly answered your four questions, so i think i'll help:

1. 14
2. 88
3. :godwin:
4. :hchatter:

gl movie person

StuntKid
Dec 10, 2003

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

yo how did nasheeb or w/e get tonys canadian dd214 the same day his kid got capped?
We weren't entirely sure of the timeline for burials when we first shot the trailer. It was before we had our script research and rewrites done, but it's something we've changed for current drafts. There were a couple liberties taken for our trailer.

krispykremessuck posted:

I watched the trailer and it looks like you're going for a typical revenge film so I guess my question is why bother about some kind of messaging poo poo here? are you making an action movie or a messaging movie
The trailer highlights the action and sizzle from our "revenge" film, but it's really not a revenge film. It's a dramatic thriller, with some action set pieces in it. I kind of hearken it to Drive, slow burning, but some visceral intense moments in it.

I've been pitching this as Collateral Damage meets Changing Lanes. It's not your normal film ending at all.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Patrick should have a patchy, but wildly overgrown beard, smoke A Lot of weed, and his primary goals should be bleeding money out of the government and staring at college-aged girls' asses in yoga pants

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

DownByTheWooter posted:

Patrick should have a patchy, but wildly overgrown beard, smoke A Lot of weed, and his primary goals should be bleeding money out of the government and staring at college-aged girls' asses in yoga pants

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

I'm your new lead

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

hoop

Zeris fucked around with this message at 14:56 on May 19, 2015

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Please put my username in the credits.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

"no one leaves war for free" is not a good tagine

and there is no such thing as a working class in Afghanistan

Wondering if you have read my storyboard yet??

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
You're going to have knee jerk folks immediately poo poo on your movie because it's showing "Are Troops" as people who kill children, even if it is on accident. Protestors will be a problem in Texas, the South and other places. You will be fellated by angry college kids who think American Sniper was propaganda, right up until they realize the movie doesn't seem to be about how awful the West is, but instead about how awful human conflict is, then they'll rail against you on tumblr and twitter until someone in a high enough position accidentally calls a tranny by the wrong loving made up pro-noun.

All that said, it's a thought provoking premise and it does look like it might be a good watch. Though if you REALLY want me to like it, make sure every background TV has Four Lions playing on it

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Now that I've actually read the OP I do have a (possibly) contributing thing. I've heard something (and Generation Kill) that Iraqis don't see death the same way as us and probably wouldn't go to the lengths of revenge. I don't know if that transfers to Afghans but they're basically the same thing. Right?

Fucitol
May 8, 2005

Ceterum autem censeo mundum esse delendam

Memento, homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris

Booblord Zagats posted:

All that said, it's a thought provoking premise and it does look like it might be a good watch. Though if you REALLY want me to like it, make sure every background TV has Four Lions playing on it

remake this movie into Four Lions 2: Eight Lions.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Fucitol posted:

remake this movie into Four Lions 2: Eight Lions.
Eight Lions, but instead of a movie, it's actually a sitcom:

Jabar flees his wedding day and seeks out childhood friend Spin Gul, a Karachi street vendor. They become roommates, and Jabar joins Spin Gul's social circle of single men in their mid-20s: struggling actor Wahid, business professional Zmarak, masseuse and musician Patang, widower Abdul Hamid (Spin Gul's older brother), and twin street performers Karim and Rakim. Dissatisfied with their lives, the group aspire to become mujahideen, and travel to Peshawar to receive training from Zmarak's uncle's coworker's cousin's village mullah's former roomate.

Episodes typically depict the friends' comedic and romantic adventures and holy war issues, such as Wahid struggling to use a DShK or Patang seeking out chai boys. The eight characters each have many dates and serious relationships, such as Spin Gul with Mohammed Maalik and Patang with various farm animals. Abdul Hamid and Jabar's intermittent relationship is the most often-recurring storyline; during the ten seasons of the show they will repeatedly date and break up, even while Abdul Hamid briefly marries Natkai, he and Jabar still see each other on Thursdays. Other frequently recurring characters include Zmarak's uncle in Quetta, Abdul Hamid's former father-in-law, and local warlord Bazir Khan, whose beard changes color every episode.

Naked Bear fucked around with this message at 20:37 on May 6, 2015

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Spicy Guacamole posted:

Eight Lions, but instead of a movie, it's actually a sitcom:

Jabar flees his wedding day and seeks out childhood friend Spin Gul, a Karachi street vendor. They become roommates, and Jabar joins Spin Gul's social circle of single men in their mid-20s: struggling actor Wahid, business professional Zmarak, masseuse and musician Patang, widower Abdul Hamid (Spin Gul's older brother), and twin street performers Karim and Rakim. Dissatisfied with their lives, the group aspire to become mujahideen, and travel to Peshawar to receive training from Zmarak's uncle's coworker's cousin's village mullah's former roomate.

Episodes typically depict the friends' comedic and romantic adventures and holy war issues, such as Wahid struggling to use a DShK or Patang seeking out chai boys. The eight characters each have many dates and serious relationships, such as Spin Gul with Mohammed Maalik and Patang with various farm animals. Abdul Hamid and Jabar's intermittent relationship is the most often-recurring storyline; during the ten seasons of the show they will repeatedly date and break up, even while Abdul Hamid briefly marries Natkai, he and Jabar still see each other on Thursdays. Other frequently recurring characters include Zmarak's uncle in Quetta, Abdul Hamid's former father-in-law, and local warlord Bazir Khan, whose beard changes color every episode.

Also Rakim gets a monkey for like 5 episodes during sweeps

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Hello, my name is 1000 Afghani Note. You kill my family, prepare to die.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
really lmbo at the idea of some illiterate poppy farmer somehow stumbling his way to canada to kill some random guy

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

really lmbo at the idea of some illiterate poppy farmer somehow stumbling his way to canada to kill some random guy

he starts walking to Kabul for a flight but gets the nods a quarter mile into the journey and has to stop

~fin~

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

StuntKid posted:

I've been pitching this as Collateral Damage meets Changing Lanes. It's not your normal film ending at all.

Oooh, do the white dude and the afghan realize they're not that different after all, and decide to let each other live?

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

FrozenVent posted:

Oooh, do the white dude and the afghan realize they're not that different after all, and decide to let each other live?

Both get smoked by a predator drone when they realize the error of their ways and get gay-married in Pakistan,

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
my actual idea i pitched to kks last night is this:

have the setup like it is, but the canadian dude does a murder/suicide on his family and the afghan dude gets snatched by the feds at the airport and gets disappeared to a cia blacksite and never seen again. i think it would really capture the futility of life or something

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

my actual idea i pitched to kks last night is this:

have the setup like it is, but the canadian dude does a murder/suicide on his family and the afghan dude gets snatched by the feds at the airport and gets disappeared to a cia blacksite and never seen again. i think it would really capture the futility of life or something

this was what I was getting at w/ the dui crash but I like your idea better

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

hoop 2

Zeris fucked around with this message at 14:56 on May 19, 2015

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Delizin posted:

Also I demand GiP receive consulting credit.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Anita Dickinme posted:

Now that I've actually read the OP I do have a (possibly) contributing thing. I've heard something (and Generation Kill) that Iraqis don't see death the same way as us and probably wouldn't go to the lengths of revenge. I don't know if that transfers to Afghans but they're basically the same thing. Right?

they all smell the same to me :downsrim:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Helldump Immunity. posted:

Edit:

Booblord Zagats posted:

Though if you REALLY want me to like it, make sure every background TV has Four Lions playing on it

I honestly think this is a good idea.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 01:47 on May 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Godholio posted:

Booblord Zagats posted:

Though if you REALLY want me to like it, make sure every background TV has Four Lions playing on it
I honestly think this is a good idea.

• Locked thread