Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pox
Feb 16, 2015
Ancient aliens, JFK, vaccines, 9/11, whatever. Is there any conspiracy theory with a following that isn't total BS?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is
joseph stalin was a cia plant to discredit communism

Otto von Ruthless
Oct 1, 2014
none

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
JFK one for sure.

Neukoln19
Oct 27, 2005
All

a bay
Oct 14, 2014

by Lowtax
People say that Nickelback only got super famous because of the record label money behind them, and it doesn't sound that far fetched to me.

ASSASSINS!
Jan 2, 2009
jews

Pox
Feb 16, 2015

a bay posted:

People say that Nickelback only got super famous because of the record label money behind them, and it doesn't sound that far fetched to me.

They got famous because they rock, friend

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

philadelphia experiment

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
Pennies are only in circulation so that the government can get DNA for every person on file.

Why else would they be?

Pox
Feb 16, 2015

TEAYCHES posted:

philadelphia experiment

This is def the coolest one

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat
bush administration went to war in iraq because of lies, not incompetence

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer
sometimes i think all these scientists talking about global warming might be on to something, but then i remember it was pretty chilly this morning.

rabble rabble
Mar 24, 2015

Nap Ghost
I guess Iran contra is technically a conspiracy theory? so that one, because it happened, and holy lol

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

PotatoManJack posted:

Pennies are only in circulation so that the government can get DNA for every person on file.

Why else would they be?

Senators from Illinois.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
The Knight Templar came to the US together with the vikings.

The holy grail is hidden on US soil and that explains the nation's rise to international prominence.

Kensington runestone.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
that one where the rich white people do something lovely to the poor people, for money

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

TEAYCHES posted:

philadelphia experiment

yeah this one is the coolest. i like the vague hints of cosmic horror.

the most realistic and plausible one is alex jones literally being bill hicks after he faked his death and got surgery.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
propaganda due, because it's real

I am Toni Lippi
Aug 16, 2004
Jade Helm

KennyLoggins
Dec 3, 2004
Welcome to the Danger Zone
jet fuel cant melt steel beams.

a bay
Oct 14, 2014

by Lowtax

Pox posted:

They got famous because they rock, friend

I don't disagree, I just think it is plausible that marketing money played as much of a role in their success as the lead singer's softer, more approachable take on the vocal style of the guy from "Rancid".

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
Michael Jordan's "retirement" in 1993-1994 was actually a suspension for gambling.

Pox
Feb 16, 2015

rabble rabble posted:

I guess Iran contra is technically a conspiracy theory? so that one, because it happened, and holy lol

I wouldn't count it, but this type malfeasance that we know about makes it certain that there's other stuff we don't know about. I don't think you have to be 100% crazy to believe JFK conspiracies for example.

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

the illuminati exists and wants us to learn of their existence by solving the puzzles they leave for us to find in the lyrics of hip hop music

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Necros posted:

the illuminati exists and wants us to learn of their existence by solving the puzzles they leave for us to find in the lyrics of hip hop music

If you solve the riddle you basically win.

Because you get to join them and that's the best life you can have.

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
Biggie and Tupac refused. See where that got them. (Tupac is still alive though, just don't tell nobody you heard it from me.)

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

courtney cox hired a hitman

lol you cant shoot a gun with your shoes still on. come on

rabble rabble
Mar 24, 2015

Nap Ghost

Pox posted:

I wouldn't count it, but this type malfeasance that we know about makes it certain that there's other stuff we don't know about. I don't think you have to be 100% crazy to believe JFK conspiracies for example.

yeah, I guess I mean the part where regan back door negotiated so he could win the election, I think that part still counts, north only took the fall for the arms sales and poo poo

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Pox posted:

idgi so this is really a thread about the most real conspiracy that isn't actually real then?

rabble rabble
Mar 24, 2015

Nap Ghost
ok other than that id go with bilderberg group, because again, that poo poo is happening literally out in the open

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
op I'm your dad

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
The Hindenburg disaster was caused by a time traveler who was absolutely loving sick of living in a future with a steampunk aesthetic.

huskarl_marx
Oct 13, 2013

by zen death robot
i think they let 9/11 happen because they knew they could push the country in the direction they wanted, the only reason they let 9/11 happen is because another more convenient earlier etc attack didn't occur

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVCDItOj6R4

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is
george w bush was the agent responsible for 911. He did it

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

Kensington runestone.

the only people who believe this are a few thousand people in rural Minnesota

BUT

there's another conspiracy theory from here. the one that Paul Wellstone was killed by the meat industry

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Doctor J Off posted:

george w bush was the agent responsible for 911. He did it

No.

Dick Cheney, though...

son gay. so what
Mar 13, 2011

Pox posted:

Ancient aliens, JFK, vaccines, 9/11, whatever. Is there any conspiracy theory with a following that isn't total BS?

That a poster called Pox is a human being and wants to kill himself

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
lol if you dont believe in our reptilian overlords. i mean, whats the alternative, that our elected officials are completely amoral, power-hungry and up for sale to absolutely anyone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Serious Frolicking posted:

lol if you dont believe in our reptilian overlords. i mean, whats the alternative, that our elected officials are completely amoral, power-hungry and up for sale to absolutely anyone?

the belief in conspiracies is at its heart a belief that we are led by wicked but devilishly clever people (or creatures) and that ultimately the world is in the hands (talons?) of competent, brilliant individuals who have everything under control.

the part where they do not have our best interest in mind is scary but is a lot less scary than the alternative.

• Locked thread