Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
the wire kind of ruined other tv shows for me
i really liked season 1 of dexter, and then i watched the entirety of the wire, and then i watched season 2 of dexter and i'm like hm this is stupid.
2 years after the wire ended breaking bad was somehow trying to pull a cool guys don't look at explosions with tuco's preposterous cousins. and last year on fargo, depicting events that are supposed to have actually taken place, there was a scene where billy bob thornton killed the mafia, the entire mafia, by himself, in a single tracking shot, and walked away without anybody noticing. the dumbest thing in the wire is... idk. brother mouzone, i guess. he's pretty ridiculous. omar's ridiculous but all that poo poo with him was based on actual people. mouzone is afucking cartoon character.

Cubone fucked around with this message at 10:28 on May 6, 2015

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

Cubone posted:

the wire kind of ruined other tv shows for me
i really liked season 1 of dexter, and then i watched the entirety of the wire, and then i watched season 2 of dexter and i'm like hm this is stupid.
2 years after the wire ended breaking bad was somehow trying to pull a cool guys don't look at explosions with tuco's preposterous cousins. and last year on fargo, depicting events that are supposed to have actually taken place, there was a scene where billy bob thornton killed the mafia, the entire mafia, by himself, in a single tracking shot, and walked away without anybody noticing. the dumbest thing in the wire is... idk. brother mouzone, i guess. he's pretty ridiculous. omar's ridiculous but all that poo poo with him was based on actual people. mouzone is afucking cartoon character.

I thought Mouzone was based off the sketch of the dude who shot Biggie.

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

going through season 1 atm actually. are all 5 seasons in 4:3 because i hope not

real_slime
Apr 21, 2015

by Lowtax

krampster2 posted:

going through season 1 atm actually. are all 5 seasons in 4:3 because i hope not

you can get 16:9 hd versions of the first 3 seasons. not stretched, they expanded the frame in whatever blue ray it was. they shot it in widescreen.

but the last 2 are only in 4:3 cos david simon decided he wanted to force it to be that way because he said that is how documentaries look, or something like that.

i'm pretty sure this is correct anyway, i read an interview, and i've seen the 16:9 versions.

i don't think it's a really good justification for it. but you get used to it after a while. it does always look a bit ugly watching 4:3 on any modern screen, though.

the wire is pretty good! it is a bit cheesey at times and seems to have aged very quickly. i think anybody who has more than a casual interest in watching tv shows and movies would probably find some stuff to enjoy in it. i think people go so nuts over
it because it takes a more nuanced view on the war on drugs and crime than police shows normally do, and when i was younger all that was good to be exposed to, but if you already know the basics then this stuff isn't going to blow your mind or anything
and the writing and acting at times is quite bad. then at other times it is quite good. overall it is good.

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

cool thanks, i'll check out the 16:9

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

This is good; where can I find more?

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
its a really good show ya i was very entartained while watching it

also i would def smash that redhead DA no doubt

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
Never seen it.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Hobohemian posted:

Yeah it's good and the acting is fantastic. How did they even manage to find that many good kid actors? All the adults are from the UK so that explains itself.

pretty sure many of them are baltimore natives they just picked up at random casting sessions they held around town

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
It's legit great.

Season 4 is the best TV I think I've seen

GastonEatTheEggs
Nov 7, 2012

is the sopranos actually good

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

PotatoManJack posted:

It's legit great.

Season 4 is the best TV I think I've seen

I think that was my favorite too. It also has one of the best series finales in television.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Planarch posted:

is the sopranos actually good

yes you idiots the two shows most widely regarded as the best tv shows ever are actually good

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005
It's boring and overrated. The pacing is bad. The acting is network TV cop show level. It lacks interesting or memorable characters. Breaking Bad is the show about the drug trade that the Wire was trying to be.

Dick Fagballzson fucked around with this message at 06:09 on May 7, 2015

Rutiger
Aug 26, 2008
depends on what you like op. if you are willing to sacrifice some of the traditional aspects of drama for realism, you will like it. it's not the scripted documentary i think david simon wants it to be but it is heads and shoulders above any other drama i've ever seen.

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005

Rutiger posted:

depends on what you like op. if you are willing to sacrifice some of the traditional aspects of drama for realism, you will like it. it's not the scripted documentary i think david simon wants it to be but it is heads and shoulders above any other drama i've ever seen.

Clearly you've never seen Breaking Bad, the greatest drama and greatest show in the history of television. It takes what they were trying to do with the Wire and actually makes it interesting and has brilliant, unforgettable characters, Oscar caliber acting, and the best writing of any television show ever.

The Wire was never popular and never won any Emmys because it wasn't that great of a show.

Dick Fagballzson fucked around with this message at 06:19 on May 7, 2015

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Season 2 is the only good season because it focuses entirely on the struggles of the proletariat in Amerikkka.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

Dick Fagballzson posted:

Clearly you've never seen Breaking Bad, the greatest drama and greatest show in the history of television. It takes what they were trying to do with the Wire and actually makes it interesting and has brilliant, unforgettable characters, Oscar caliber acting, and the best writing of any television show ever.

The Wire was never popular and never won any Emmys because it wasn't that great of a show.

Lol, Breaking Bad sucked. Skyler is the worst thing to ever mar the screens of television.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Rand alPaul posted:

Season 2 is the only good season because it focuses entirely on the struggles of the proletariat in Amerikkka.

Season 2 fucken owns

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

an overrated show. oranges and apples, but better call saul in its 1st season has better pacing and acting than most all of the wire.

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005

RaySmuckles posted:

Lol, Breaking Bad sucked. Skyler is the worst thing to ever mar the screens of television.

You're supposed to absolutely hate Skyler. The writers did their job well.

Meanwhile I can't remember a single character on the Wire even though I sat through two seasons of it. I fell asleep several times while watching it, which is something I almost never do. It really is boring as gently caress and badly written and acted. It's like every network TV cop show, just a little grittier and they say the word gently caress.

Dick Fagballzson fucked around with this message at 06:30 on May 7, 2015

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
The were several continuity issues with NFL throwback jerseys that made it unwatchable for me.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Dick Fagballzson posted:

You're supposed to absolutely hate Skyler. The writers did their job well.

Lol, no, they just made me hate the show. Breaking Bad Season 2 was some of the worst TV I've ever seen.

Sorry you don't have the patience for a "good show."

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!

Dick Fagballzson posted:

the best writing of any television show ever, bitch.

bloodsacrifice
Apr 21, 2015

by Ralp
the wire is good if you want to watch a bunch of pieces of poo poo swirl around the toilet

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
you dumb dumb idiots got trolled into makin this a thread about comparing breaking bad to the wire. amateur hour.

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005

RaySmuckles posted:

Lol, no, they just made me hate the show. Breaking Bad Season 2 was some of the worst TV I've ever seen.

Sorry you don't have the patience for a "good show."

You're making your trolling too obvious. There is no better television than Breaking Bad Season 2.

JHomer722
Jul 30, 2006

And you, you ridiculous people, you expect me to help you.

krampster2 posted:

cool thanks, i'll check out the 16:9

philistines, all of you

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Dick Fagballzson posted:

You're making your trolling too obvious. There is no better television than Breaking Bad Season 2.

I'm dead serious. I stopped watching after that.

The universal response is that, indeed, season 2 is just plain awful, but the show gets better after that. Frankly the writing was rather middling and the drama was tremendously heavy handed. In fact, that is what I would use to describe the whole show: heavy handed.

The Wire was great. Pretty chill, good depth.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
wasn't S1 <-> S2 of breaking bad weird in part due to the writers strike ?

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005

RaySmuckles posted:

I'm dead serious. I stopped watching after that.

The universal response is that, indeed, season 2 is just plain awful, but the show gets better after that. Frankly the writing was rather middling and the drama was tremendously heavy handed. In fact, that is what I would use to describe the whole show: heavy handed.

The Wire was great. Pretty chill, good depth.

So basically you have lovely taste.

The general consensus about BB is that the first season is slow but it achieves epic greatness in season 2.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
Is The Wire good? There's only one way to know.

Light a few dozen candles around your bathroom sink. Turn down the lights real, real low, so the soft glow of candlelight barely illuminates your face in the mirror. Stare deeply into your own eyes for several minutes, until your own face begins to look alien to you, like that of a stranger. Slowly extinguish the candles one by one, until only one is left. Hold it up close to the mirror, enough to illuminate your reflection. Take a deep breath, now hold it in. In a clear voice, ask your reflection: "Why am I dicking around with candles in the bathroom when I could be watching The motherfucking Wire?"

Then go watch The Wire.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Dick Fagballzson posted:

So basically you have lovely taste.

The general consensus about BB is that the first season is slow but it achieves epic greatness in season 2.

What, when he assaults his crippled son for no/the dumbest least human reasons ever and pours alcohol all over him? Not heavy handed or over directed at all, no sir.

But its ok, enjoy your Shield quality tv, tia.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

if you don't like the wire or breaking bad, what shows do you actually watch and think are good shows?

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

the wire's great

you have no idea what anyone is saying for the first two episodes but then it all clicks in and you can understand american

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
just watch all shows with subs :confused:

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

chaosbreather posted:

the wire's great

you have no idea what anyone is saying for the first two episodes but then it all clicks in and you can understand american

I rarely had difficulty understanding anyone, but I'm also front the East Coast, so Urban dialect might be less challenging.

Later, catch you in Hampsterdam (got them WMD's!)

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Breaking Bad is essentially Scarface: the TV Show. It had a good message originally, highlighting how an exploited public school teacher is so underpaid he is going to die and leave his children paupers because America has no real healthcare system, and instead turns it into a show about a dude becoming a drug kingpin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
yall too ignorant to have the motherfuckin floor
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPS9YKGaKQE

• Locked thread