Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

my old logic and debate professor said the wire was the best show ever created and I doubt I could win if I contested his assertion so yeah. it's the best show ever created

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I still cannot comprehend an adult saying that South Park is better than... every show? It's very confusing.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
yeah the wire is a good show

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Professor Shark posted:

I still cannot comprehend an adult saying that South Park is better than... every show? It's very confusing.

Unless that sentence ended with "also, can u pass the lead water? my mercury cocktail tastes too strongly..."

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Professor Shark posted:

loving Millenials

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I'm noticing that no one has mentioned Boardwalk Empire, the vanilla of HBO shows.

Except it had a good season or two, I can't remember. The flashbacks in the last season were the best parts of that season at any rate.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
The Wire is gud as theres one bit where two cops say nothing but 'gently caress' for 10 minutes, and you get to see some titties too.

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001
hotness stakes:

1) Nicky Sobotka's girlfriend
2) Mrs. ex-McNulty
3) stripper chick who got with Lester

Ex-Priest Tobin
May 25, 2014

by Reene
is it as good as deep space nine?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Imagine a show with token white guys instead of the reverse...

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Professor Shark posted:

I'm noticing that no one has mentioned Boardwalk Empire, the vanilla of HBO shows.

Except it had a good season or two, I can't remember. The flashbacks in the last season were the best parts of that season at any rate.

The best part of Boardwalk was thst it had 1920s Omar in it

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

SA2K posted:

The best part of Boardwalk was thst it had 1920s Omar in it

michael williams was wasted on that show. decent show but criminally underutilized some good actors and focused too much on steve buscemi

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Popular Thug Drink posted:

michael williams was wasted on that show. decent show but criminally underutilized some good actors and focused too much on steve buscemi

I'm just watching The Wire now (fellow Canadian goons who have Bell (tv, satellite, fibe, whatever), you can watch it on Cravetv.ca! Legitimately!), and for me, I saw Omar and thought 'poo poo, it's that teacher from the Law and Order episode of Community!', whereas mostly everyone else saw that Community episode and said 'poo poo, it's Omar!'

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I'm just watching The Wire now (fellow Canadian goons who have Bell (tv, satellite, fibe, whatever), you can watch it on Cravetv.ca! Legitimately!), and for me, I saw Omar and thought 'poo poo, it's that teacher from the Law and Order episode of Community!', whereas mostly everyone else saw that Community episode and said 'poo poo, it's Omar!'

Omar was in Trapped in the Closet too.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
yeah well if you watch game of thrones wait till seasonn 3

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Yeah, I keep expecting Cargetti to start being all weasley-whispering voiced. It's odd, but hey, actors.

Nickelback Concert
Apr 28, 2015

Sheep-Goats posted:

It's a very good TV show. Pacing is slow so give it five episodes before you start going pssh, pssh

This is the absolute truth.

Once you get ramped up, it's amazing.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill

Nickelback Concert posted:

This is the absolute truth.

Once you get ramped up, it's amazing.

There's a reason the 6th episode is titled "The Wire"

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005

Waltzing Along posted:

South Park is, and has been, the best show on TV for a very long time.

Mad Men is The Wire for white people.

Classic South Park (roughly 1997-2006) is amazingly good television. It jumped the shark a long time ago though. The episode about World of Warcraft was probably the last really good episode of South Park.

Dick Fagballzson fucked around with this message at 00:29 on May 9, 2015

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

The Game of Thrones episode that lasted 3 loving episodes was worse than any drawn out Family Guy gag/ slow moving GoT plot line they were trying to make fun of, holy loving poo poo

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Also Boardwalk had Agent Nelson Van Alden, a character who was too good for the show he was on

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

thathonkey posted:

haha i can't argue with that assessment but i thought some of the characters were good. it might be worth watching but obviously comes nowhere near the wire.

i dont think ive ever spoken to another person that knows what generation kill is much less has watched it but im gonna keep bringing it up until somebody at least acknowledges that it exists

generation kill was good but when I saw it I remember thinking the book was a whole lot better and had even more over-the-top poo poo going on

going to have to rewatch it soon tho

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005

Professor Shark posted:

The Game of Thrones episode that lasted 3 loving episodes was worse than any drawn out Family Guy gag/ slow moving GoT plot line they were trying to make fun of, holy loving poo poo

That's one of the big problems with the show in recent years, unfunny multipart episodes that are used as filler because they've run out of ideas.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

thathonkey posted:

i dont think ive ever spoken to another person that knows what generation kill is much less has watched it but im gonna keep bringing it up until somebody at least acknowledges that it exists
Generation kill owns but it's a miniseries and if I brought it up I'd have to mention so many others, there's a whole miniseries universe out there that is completely different than regular season releases.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Waltzing Along posted:

South Park is, and has been, the best show on TV for a very long time.

Mad Men is The Wire for white people.

you made two of the dumbest statements ever back to back. should've gone for a triple.

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001
RAWLS SUCKS COCK

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Palpek posted:

Generation kill owns but it's a miniseries and if I brought it up I'd have to mention so many others, there's a whole miniseries universe out there that is completely different than regular season releases.

oh yeah i just brought it up cause it was made by david simon + ed burns (well, they adapted the written material for HBO miniseries)

though i wish there was more :(

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Professor Shark posted:

Also Boardwalk had Agent Nelson Van Alden, a character who was too good for the show he was on

Seriously, more Agent Nelson Van Alden chat... the only man who could have made The Wire better

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Professor Shark posted:

Seriously, more Agent Nelson Van Alden chat... the only man who could have made The Wire better

holy poo poo what if he had played mcnulty or something like that. he even looks a tad like mcnulty in that frame

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Jimmy was also insanely good in Boardwalk Empire, I thought that both the character's arc and Michael Pitt's acting were brilliant, the show lost a lot when he was gone although I guess the way it ended is part of its greatness.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

the entirety of season three I kept looking at Carcetti and was like "where the gently caress have i seen this dude before"

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

*in a garbled voice* Chaos is a ladder... so how much can I put you and your wife down for? What about your kids?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

carcetti owns

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
Sorry everyone but all the cool people have moved on we're on that Bosch now.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Paaaaaaaaaaandemic!

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Got em BLUETOPS!

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

generation kill was good but when I saw it I remember thinking the book was a whole lot better and had even more over-the-top poo poo going on

going to have to rewatch it soon tho

apparenlty they toned down some stuff because they thought nobody would believe them

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

For real, I know people who don't understand what the black characters on The Wire are saying. It makes me wonder if they're dumb or racist or both.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

cool tree bro posted:

scarface was a good guy struggling to make his way in the big bad world.

rip :rip:

im reading it with a like exaggerated spoiled bitch whiny teeneger voice right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin
The wire is a jungle documentary.

• Locked thread