Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jonked
Feb 15, 2005
IT'S THE THEROS BLOCK ROTISSERIE DRAFT THREAD!!

THAT SURE SOUNDS LIKE FUN, BUT WHAT DO THOSE WORDS MEAN??

A Rotisserie Draft is a unique limited format. The way it works is that a single copy of each card is laid out, and each player takes a turn 'drafting' the cards in their deck. The order of picks then goes in reverse, so that the first player gets picks 1 and 16, while the eighth player gets picks 8 and 9. When this is done, you make a 40 card deck out of the cards you drafted plus basic lands, and play a normal game of Magic. Roto Draft is different from the more common Booster Draft in three major ways: 1, it's a singleton format and there is one copy of each card available, from common to mythic, 2, you publicly announce your pick, meaning everyone knows exactly what everyone else is drafting, which leads to 3, you can use your draft picks to react to what other players are doing - either moving into open archetypes, or fighting them over a rapidly shrinking card pool.

The card pool in this case is Theros Block. That means any card printed in Theros, Born of the Gods, or Journey into Nyx can be chosen. Why Theros block? Because it's still recent enough that everyone remembers all the cards, but hasn't been drafted in a while so people aren't sick of it. It's also a test of my theory that almost any set or block could make for a fun Roto draft, even the ones people didn't really like for booster drafting.

WOW, THAT'S COOL, BUT I DON'T LIVE IN THE SAME CITY AS YOU, JONKED!!

We will be doing this draft online, using a publicly shared Google Doc to make our picks, followed by playing games on XMage. Ideally, we should be able to go through two or three rounds of picks per day and finish the draft up in a week or two, but at least a minimum of one pick per day. After that, we'll play three rounds of Swiss over the next two or three weeks. New pairings will be posted as soon as the previous round ends, so hopefully it won't take a whole week to go through each round. I'll be enforcing the 24 hour time limit on picks and 1 week deadline on games, to keep things moving at a reasonable pace. If you think you can handle that, just post in this thread saying you want to play

YAAAAY, LET'S PLAY THEN!!

Players:
1.) Jonked
2.) The Lord of Hats
3.) Rimusutera
4.) Ramos
5.) Myriad Truths
6.) Soviet Canuckistan
7.) Frozen_flame
8.) Mordieth

Draft Picks: CLICK HERE
Currently waiting on The Lord of Hats since 7:15am EST

Jonked fucked around with this message at 04:42 on May 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
I would like in.

Soviet Canuckistan
Oct 24, 2010
I'm in for this!

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!
You know what, I'm in.

Now what the hell is XMage

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

This thing.

I recommend downloading it and then letting it sit for a few hours after you run the card image updater.

Mordieth
Dec 23, 2008
im down for this

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005
We've got 8 people, so that draft is up. Pick order is:

1.) Rimusutera
2.) Soviet Canuckistan
3.) Jonked
4.) Frozen_Flame
5.) Myriad Truths
6.) The Lord of Hats
7.) Ramos
8.) Mordeith

Mordeith, remember that you get TWO picks when it comes to you. Ramos, remember that you go after Mordeith's picks.

edit: I should also mention that I used the google doc random number generator to select the pick order.

Mordieth
Dec 23, 2008
first pick chromanticore incoming

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
Is it a good time to mention I never did Theros draft or...?

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005

Rimusutera posted:

Is it a good time to mention I never did Theros draft or...?
It's a silly casual format that's being played for no stakes. You'll be fine. The three cards I posted in the OP are probably a good starting point, but do whatever you like.

edit: also don't feel like you need to rush into a pick, you still have 23 hours

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

Mordieth posted:

first pick chromanticore incoming

don't tempt me

Jonked posted:

It's a silly casual format that's being played for no stakes. You'll be fine. The three cards I posted in the OP are probably a good starting point, but do whatever you like.

edit: also don't feel like you need to rush into a pick, you still have 23 hours

I'm currently leaning on Stormbreath at the moment actually, but I'm still refreshing my memory on what else is in the block.

Mordieth
Dec 23, 2008
i think for the first few picks just looking at the rares and mythics is fine, narrows the list of cards down ALOT

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
Made my pick.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Now see, Theros was all about big dudes. Making your dude bigger than the other guy's dude mean you won. There are two biggest dudes in Theros:

This brah even lifts and this man's abs are rock hard. You can't go wrong with them.

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

I'm forcing Storm.

Soviet Canuckistan
Oct 24, 2010
Made my (obvious) pick!

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005
Planting a flag... maybe

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

This was a tough first choice.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
Planting a flag, actually.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

Frozen_flame posted:

This was a tough first choice.

No it wasn't don't lie.

I don't know why I didn';t think of it.

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Rimusutera posted:

No it wasn't don't lie.

I don't know why I didn';t think of it.

Given what you told me I am absolutely not surprised.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

Frozen_flame posted:

Given what you told me I am absolutely not surprised.

Shouldn't you be asleep?

Rimusutera fucked around with this message at 01:22 on May 7, 2015

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

I am asleep. This is all a dream where I force Chromanticore.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
Crap.

Mordieth
Dec 23, 2008
if ramos takes my card/cards im gonna flip

Heatwizard
Nov 6, 2009

Ramos posted:

Now see, Theros was all about big dudes. Making your dude bigger than the other guy's dude mean you won. There are two biggest dudes in Theros:

This brah even lifts and this man's abs are rock hard. You can't go wrong with them.

So who's going for the Bearer/Gift of Immortality combo?

Mordieth
Dec 23, 2008
im going to bed, will do my picks in the morning, assuming ramos chooses within then

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Made my pick, sorry about the delay.

Mordieth
Dec 23, 2008
oh god please dont take my cards frozen

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

I have no idea if I did. I wanted Ashiok, but Downfall was a higher pick for me. Then he was stolen away

Mordieth
Dec 23, 2008
well i didnt like that card in draft so... i really dont understand how some of you guys draft so lets see whats left after the wheel

edit: words will be had after the draft is done suffice to say

Mordieth fucked around with this message at 17:44 on May 7, 2015

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005
Soviet Canuckistan got to grab both his first picks :haw:

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Jonked posted:

Pretty sure those were mine. But alas, I've gone a better, redder route.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Frozen_flame posted:

I have no idea if I did. I wanted Ashiok, but Downfall was a higher pick for me. Then he was stolen away

If you liked it you should have put a ring on it. :colbert:

Soviet Canuckistan
Oct 24, 2010

Jonked posted:

Now I get to play the fun game of "how long can I float the cards I actually want" :madmax:

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
Rimustera going for the 24 hour clean sweep, I see.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
Sorry, housemate was playing Sims all day and then Age of Ultron happened.

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005

Rimusutera posted:

Sorry, housemate was playing Sims all day and then Age of Ultron happened.
No worries, things happen. Frozen_flame, you're up.

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Should be done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005
I think that's a defensible pick...

• Locked thread