Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dk2m
May 6, 2009
dad showed up to America with 500 and managed to make it, I ain't poo poo compared to him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morkies
Apr 19, 2015

by zen death robot
i like my dad

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

my dad is a straight baller, if end up making half as much money as him i'll still be rolling in stacks and feeling drat good about it.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
My dad and I see a lot of each other. He spends most of his time inside my rear end in a top hat.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
This is the thread D&D deserved but GBS got it instead.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
I have before but ultimately we are cool

RadioactiveKid
Aug 12, 2005

Gato Rebelde
my dad is pretty cool for an old dude

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
My dad's a cool old man. I feel sorry for you guys who didn't end up with good dads.

lordoftheT
Feb 2, 2015

Check out this cool dog!
lol if you have a bad dad

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Drunk Nerds posted:

My dad story:
Left the family when I was 2 to walk across the country. Then decided he was gay. Then lived in a van for most of my childhood. Lots of on-and-off issues, although he did manage to get a good career along the way.

The rosy side is that I had twin boys 2 years ago, and he lives for them and is amazing with them. It's worth all the pain I suffered through if it means my boys get to have the good side of him all the time.

Redemption happens

Day gay, so what?

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

Wrath, hate, pain, and death!

my dad's cool and not bad. we watch mst3k and get along.

we go to red lobster for his bday.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Molothecat posted:

we go to red lobster for his bday.

so your hatred is just much more passive

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

SAME

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

thathonkey posted:

so your hatred is just much more passive

nah. man's just easy to please. mst3k and subpar shrimp scampi = happy dad.

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

I got a c in a class in middle school and he made me dig a trench around our back yard and then refill it in over and over again. said that's the kind of work c students did. cruel but fair.

ghost host
Apr 17, 2010

ain't got no cash
ain't go no style

Molothecat posted:

I got a c in a class in middle school and he made me dig a trench around our back yard and then refill it in over and over again. said that's the kind of work c students did. cruel but fair.

did you turn out to be a work-driven, accomplished individual though?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Molothecat posted:

nah. man's just easy to please. mst3k and subpar shrimp scampi = happy dad.

:smuggo::respek::smuggo:

Last year I was going to take my dad to a super-fancy steak restaurant for his birthday but at the last minute he told me to cancel because he thought it'd be more fun if we just made burgers at my folks' place.

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

once my dad open-hand slapped another man at an nba game for being a drunken rear end in a top hat for most of the game and then spilling beer on our coats.

after slapping him, he grabbed the guy by the wrist and said if he didn't leave, he probably wouldn't make it home that night. guy just rubbed his face and left.

rad dad.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Molothecat posted:

Molothecat posted:

once my dad open-hand slapped another man at an nba game for being a drunken rear end in a top hat for most of the game and then spilling beer on our coats.

after slapping him, he grabbed the guy by the wrist and said if he didn't leave, he probably wouldn't make it home that night. guy just rubbed his face and left.

rad dad.

i take back what i said your dad owns. i was just joking anyway.

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

diabeetz posted:

did you turn out to be a work-driven, accomplished individual though?

I did. worked my way through college the first time, got a pretty good job but hated it. dad suggested I go back to school and try something else. just finished 2 years of science courses and have applied for med school next year.

supportive dad.

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

thathonkey posted:

i take back what i said your dad owns. i was just joking anyway.

just sharing some awesome dad stories for people who weren't as fortunate.

when i was real young, I left my bike in the front yard one evening. when we were having dinner, my dad asked why my bike wasn't in the garage. I went to go put it up, but couldn't find it. I freaked out and got pretty upset. after a while he asked what I'd learned. I told him, truthfully, that I should take better care of my things. he said that sounded wise and to go get my bike from behind the hedges in our neighbors' yard.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I feel sorry for people who don't have a dad or a bad dad. A bad dad makes me sad.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Molothecat posted:

just sharing some awesome dad stories for people who weren't as fortunate.

when i was real young, I left my bike in the front yard one evening. when we were having dinner, my dad asked why my bike wasn't in the garage. I went to go put it up, but couldn't find it. I freaked out and got pretty upset. after a while he asked what I'd learned. I told him, truthfully, that I should take better care of my things. he said that sounded wise and to go get my bike from behind the hedges in our neighbors' yard.

usually whenever someone tells a story about something their parents did to "teach them a lesson" it is something awful but these all seem like pretty fair lessons.

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

thathonkey posted:

usually whenever someone tells a story about something their parents did to "teach them a lesson" it is something awful but these all seem like pretty fair lessons.

dad is a fair dude with many lessons to impart.

at a video arcade, again in my early youth, I gave him a dollar bill for some quarters to go play (he would put them into the machine for me). he gave me the change and I wandered off. after three plays I realized he hadn't given me all my quarters. when I went back to him, he gave me the last quarter and said "if I'm your dad and I'll rip you off, what do you think other people are willing you do?"

wise, but mistrustful dad.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
I don't; we're going golfing Saturday.

ghost host
Apr 17, 2010

ain't got no cash
ain't go no style

Molothecat posted:

dad is a fair dude with many lessons to impart.

at a video arcade, again in my early youth, I gave him a dollar bill for some quarters to go play (he would put them into the machine for me). he gave me the change and I wandered off. after three plays I realized he hadn't given me all my quarters. when I went back to him, he gave me the last quarter and said "if I'm your dad and I'll rip you off, what do you think other people are willing you do?"

wise, but mistrustful dad.

your stories started out as okay, but now your dad is beginning to sound insufferable.

if this is how you cope though, who am I to judge?

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
I talked to my dad on the phone about a month before he died. The last thing I said to him was "You're a bastard"

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

diabeetz posted:

your stories started out as okay, but now your dad is beginning to sound insufferable.

if this is how you cope though, who am I to judge?

just laying down some dad wisdom for you. he was mostly a cool dad.

my friend wasn't allowed too watch r-rated movies, so my dad would rent two movies and switch the boxes thus bypassing my mom's cursory inspection at sleepovers. we both had nightmares about facehuggers, but it's still something that my friend still mentions when we hang out.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
my favorite story about my dad is that he introduced me to star wars in the wrong order. this has been a long time ago but i am fairly certain I watched them ANH -> ROTJ -> ESB. I was too young to really follow the plot but I remember being really really confused. not sure if it was a blockbuster mishap or he just misread the roman numerals.

bloodsacrifice
Apr 21, 2015

by Ralp

gnarlyhotep posted:

I talked to my dad on the phone about a month before he died. The last thing I said to him was "You're a bastard"

and the award for "least surprising post" goes to....

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

my dad listens to rush limbaugh all day and watches fox news all night. at holidays he likes to argue politics with anyone sitting near him at the dinner table :shepicide:

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Percelus posted:

my dad listens to rush limbaugh all day and watches fox news all night. at holidays he likes to argue politics with anyone sitting near him at the dinner table :shepicide:

that honestly loving sucks man sorry

bloodsacrifice
Apr 21, 2015

by Ralp
my dad owns and I hope to one day be half the man he is.

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

thathonkey posted:

my favorite story about my dad is that he introduced me to star wars in the wrong order. this has been a long time ago but i am fairly certain I watched them ANH -> ROTJ -> ESB. I was too young to really follow the plot but I remember being really really confused. not sure if it was a blockbuster mishap or he just misread the roman numerals.

retarded dad, retarded son. it all makes sense

Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

No I don't hate him but I really wish he would stop drinking all my liquor and my Gatorade.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
My dad had a stroke and was in a rehab centre for 7 months, I didn't see him once cause gently caress that dude.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

bloodsacrifice posted:

and the award for "least surprising post" goes to....

a rereg what a surprise

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

Percelus posted:

This has happened to the parents of many people my age, including my in-laws. When I mention it to friends and acquaintances, they all agree that their parents used to be normal, rational people and they somehow morphed into Fox-News-watching pains in the rear end as they aged.

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

no, he has dementia now. it's sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves
Yes. I don't even talk to him anymore. Egad, Bad Dad!

• Locked thread