Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I don't care about 5e at all and would rather talk about broasting. FAU, can you put something jam or cheese inside a dough that will get broasted while making sure it won't mix with the rest and stay as a delicious uhhh that english word people use for "recheio".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

unseenlibrarian posted:

Some really loud obnoxious people really hated it because it was a 4E holdover mechanic that would give fighters a vaguely cool thing and would invade any thread where it came up and were terrible to the point that it needed to be isolated from the rest of the forum. There's...really not much else to it than that.

Also, ENWorld is terrible.
It also ties into a whole bunch of grog hotbutton issues. The most common explanation for damage on a miss is "well you swing so hard that it exhausts them just to dodge it", which leads to HP as fatigue/luck/whatever instead of physical damage, which leads to martial healing, which leads to madness.

Dec 26, 2012

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

I don't care about 5e at all and would rather talk about broasting. FAU, can you put something jam or cheese inside a dough that will get broasted while making sure it won't mix with the rest and stay as a delicious uhhh that english word people use for "recheio".

Pastry? Danish?

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

Froghammer posted:

It also ties into a whole bunch of grog hotbutton issues. The most common explanation for damage on a miss is "well you swing so hard that it exhausts them just to dodge it", which leads to HP as fatigue/luck/whatever instead of physical damage, which leads to martial healing, which leads to madness.

And yet the 1st Edition AD&D PHB described hp as a combination of health, luck, and dodging, and Gygax mentioned how ridiculous it would be to solely represent physical integrity. Otherwise, a high-level paladin can spill literally horsefulls of blood and organs and that would be silly.

Though that last part would be pretty loving cool in the right sort of game.

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.
I always assumed that HP was intended to model the action movie experience, where getting shot (usually in the shoulder) doesn't really do anything but make your shirt more red.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Tulul posted:

I always assumed that HP was intended to model the action movie experience, where getting shot (usually in the shoulder) doesn't really do anything but make your shirt more red.

It pretty much always has been. There's just this weird contingent of grogs who will flip the gently caress out over the very implication of that idea, despite the fact that they never offer a better explanation and that has been the only explicitly stated reasoning from even the dumbest of the Blessed Designers.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

I am irrationally in love with the idea of a fighter going from max HP to zero and the room being covered in twenty gallons of blood, ten kidneys, four livers, six and a half spleens, thirty yards of intestines, and three lungs.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
who says they were his?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
HP has only ever had models backfitted onto it- it derives from deterministic models of naval battle damage, where each ship is given x number of hits before it sinks. This filtered into hobby wargames, and thence to Arneson and Gygax. It would be interesting to see a stochastic model used, but probably not especially fun.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

chaos rhames posted:

who says they were his?

Orcs' insides are green and blink dogs bleed orange. All of the blood is red.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Loki_XLII posted:

Dread is a solid game, but had a big issue in that players whose characters get picked off early are just out. I've never seen a horror game get that right, but in a genre where characters are supposed to die a lot, there needs to be some influence on the game after death.

Slasher Flick does a thing where you have Secondary Characters on top of your Primary Characters, and then you earn "Genre Points" for making your characters behave like they're in a horror film, such as perhaps exploring a dark cellar in only your underwear. Those Genre Points can then be used for rerolls and other survivability plays for your Primary Characters when they're up against the wall.

It creates this dynamic where characters are getting killed, but players aren't completely shut out of the game until perhaps the final act, and there's also incentive for the players to make their characters take risks (the grog argument against Dread where you can't ever be killed if you never touch the Jenga blocks come to mind)

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

gradenko_2000 posted:

It creates this dynamic where characters are getting killed, but players aren't completely shut out of the game until perhaps the final act, and there's also incentive for the players to make their characters take risks (the grog argument against Dread where you can't ever be killed if you never touch the Jenga blocks come to mind)

I've never played Dread so I may be off-base but isn't pulling a Jenga block the only resolution mechanic the game has, i.e the thing you're required to do if you want to attempt anything that might have consequences for failure? I mean by that logic you can remain immortal in any RPG by refusing to roll the dice, but that's called "not playing the game."

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Kai Tave posted:

I've never played Dread so I may be off-base but isn't pulling a Jenga block the only resolution mechanic the game has, i.e the thing you're required to do if you want to attempt anything that might have consequences for failure? I mean by that logic you can remain immortal in any RPG by refusing to roll the dice, but that's called "not playing the game."

Well yes, it's a grog argument, so keep that in mind, but basically the argument is "the rules state I can only fail and can only be in danger if I touch the Jenga blocks, so if I never agree to do anything that would result in me needing to use the blocks, by the rules the DM cannot kill my character"

It doesn't really make sense if you spend more than 10 seconds thinking about it (or weren't being disingenuous)

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

Slasher Flick does a thing where you have Secondary Characters on top of your Primary Characters, and then you earn "Genre Points" for making your characters behave like they're in a horror film, such as perhaps exploring a dark cellar in only your underwear. Those Genre Points can then be used for rerolls and other survivability plays for your Primary Characters when they're up against the wall.

gently caress, those are pretty close to the mechanics of the horror game I've been writing in my off time. How dare other people have ideas before me.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Effectronica posted:

whether it's okay to drink red wine with fish if you're playing the James Bond 007 RPG?

Hold on, there's a 20% chance I know the answer to this one.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Plague of Hats posted:

It pretty much always has been. There's just this weird contingent of grogs who will flip the gently caress out over the very implication of that idea, despite the fact that they never offer a better explanation and that has been the only explicitly stated reasoning from even the dumbest of the Blessed Designers.

It more or less comes down to a rather large number of nerds who don't have the actual ability to suspend their disbelief and have had whatever imagination they may have once had systematically killed off and drained. The only mechanics they can use are those they've used so often that they've internally resolved without realizing it. People obsessed with "immersion" and "verisimilitude" have lost their ability to actually play games.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

ProfessorCirno posted:

It more or less comes down to a rather large number of nerds who don't have the actual ability to suspend their disbelief and have had whatever imagination they may have once had systematically killed off and drained. The only mechanics they can use are those they've used so often that they've internally resolved without realizing it. People obsessed with "immersion" and "verisimilitude" have lost their ability to actually play games.

"Okay Dave, you hit the blink dodge for 12 damage. Larry, what are you doing on your turn?"

"I continue being hundreds of miles away, working for the innkeeper."

"Alright. So, Bill, what do you do next?"

He's just won D&D forever!

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Kai Tave posted:

If you skip drawing a tile you're guaranteed to fail, so you'll have to deliberately gently caress up at every single thing that happens, so you'll probably just end up chained to a post with a rusty spoon to cut your leg off.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

chaos rhames posted:

If you skip drawing a tile you're guaranteed to fail, so you'll have to deliberately gently caress up at every single thing that happens, so you'll probably just end up chained to a post with a rusty spoon to cut your leg off.

So it's not even fallacious so much as just plain wrong, gotcha.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Kai Tave posted:

So it's not even fallacious so much as just plain wrong, gotcha.
I think you only die if you fail while pulling a block. But you can't actually accomplish anything. And you might just end up in a coma in a hospital.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Buried alive would be a pretty clean way to deal with someone who never drew. Ok man, if you're not going to try to pound on the coffin or something, I guess you're still underground not doing anything. I've never encountered such a player because it makes no sense.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Buried alive would be a pretty clean way to deal with someone who never drew. Ok man, if you're not going to try to pound on the coffin or something, I guess you're still underground not doing anything. I've never encountered such a player because it makes no sense.

Well in the case of this specific argument re: Dread it's not really a good faith argument so much as somebody using it to "prove" that Dread is a bad, broken game for e-peen reasons. That said, ever since I've been reading internet messageboards about pretending to be an elf a common "please give me GM advice" scenario I've seen crop up time and again going on 16 years now is the player who refuses to engage with the game to the point of absurdity...they don't want to adventure, they don't want to investigate stuff, their characters essentially (and sometimes literally) stay at home and watch TV. Sometimes the players bitch about "being left out" after the game wraps up, sometimes they just thank everybody for a fun afternoon, but either this is the result of a bunch of people perpetuating an extremely nerdy urban legend of the Player Who Refused to Do poo poo or it really is an issue that arises on multiple occasions.

I mean, it makes no sense to me either outside of supposing it's someone's pass-agg way of saying they'd rather be doing something else, but there you go.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Kai Tave posted:

Well in the case of this specific argument re: Dread it's not really a good faith argument so much as somebody using it to "prove" that Dread is a bad, broken game for e-peen reasons. That said, ever since I've been reading internet messageboards about pretending to be an elf a common "please give me GM advice" scenario I've seen crop up time and again going on 16 years now is the player who refuses to engage with the game to the point of absurdity...they don't want to adventure, they don't want to investigate stuff, their characters essentially (and sometimes literally) stay at home and watch TV. Sometimes the players bitch about "being left out" after the game wraps up, sometimes they just thank everybody for a fun afternoon, but either this is the result of a bunch of people perpetuating an extremely nerdy urban legend of the Player Who Refused to Do poo poo or it really is an issue that arises on multiple occasions.

I mean, it makes no sense to me either outside of supposing it's someone's pass-agg way of saying they'd rather be doing something else, but there you go.

This is definitely a thing that happens, though I've seen it way more often in online games like MUSH/MUXes and such than in tabletop. It gets especially bad when they're mostly just there to show off how floridly they can blather on about their character lighting a cigarette for a full screen of text without ever doing a thing anyone can try and respond to or interact with, and refuse to pick up on obvious cues from others to try and do something, anything to interact.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
I have had a good faith discussion with some of my newer players about all the weird "I just solved the game" scenarios that inevitably come up. Insane theory crafting is for smoke break, but ttrpgs really only work if you accept the premise, otherwise let's play street fighter or something that doesn't take so much effort. I'm imagining this guy's character getting dragged by the hair into an open grave while the player goes "nope, not gonna do anything." You can even just knock the tower over for fun and the game gives you a final reward of doing something awesome, so you would have an incentive to just end it if you don't want to pull. The argument makes so very little sense.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I can totally relate to someone who wants to play a quiet, stoic, laconic character, if someone doesn't want to spew pages and pages of exposition and background and "role-playing".

I mean, wouldn't it be great for the party to finally come down to a final showdown with the big boss, only to gain some insight into how misunderstood the villain is and how this conflict suddenly has shades of grey? Maybe the Bard doesn't really want to kill him now, except Ninja McMysterious still wants to because that was what you had all signed up for and then there's inter-person conflict because you don't know about the latter's motivations since he's never shared anything.

Kind of like Kurt Russell's role in Soldier. Except the character has to at least engage in the combat and kill dudes, even if his mouth is sewed up all the rest of the time.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
As someone who's guilty of writing a bunch of words in PbPs all the time, of course wordcount or scenery chewing has no bearing on roleplaying or the quality thereof, but if you're going to be a laconic loner of few words you at least have to remain engaged with the game. I mean, personally I find characters who don't say or do much even if they maintain the bare minimum of engagement necessary to avoid being a background character sort of boring to play off of (or to play myself for that matter), but it's at least a qualitative step up from someone actively avoiding the game for some reason.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Zurui posted:

I am irrationally in love with the idea of a fighter going from max HP to zero and the room being covered in twenty gallons of blood, ten kidneys, four livers, six and a half spleens, thirty yards of intestines, and three lungs.
I have always been a fan of the "1hp = 1 gallon of blood" methodology. This makes your average 3rd level barbarian into a walking The Shining elevator.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

ProfessorCirno posted:

Even Mike Mearls in one of the podcasts snidely referred to warlords "shouting guts back in"... When even half a second's thought would lead one to say "wait, you mean you just spent the last few hours exploring the dungeon with your guts dragging on the ground?"

It's 100% people that want magic characters to be better than martial ones. The verisimilitude arguments fail to have any consistency or hold up to even the mildest scrutiny.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Even taken at face value, the idea that the warlord is so much of a badass that he yells at your guts to get back in and do their job and they're like "sir yes sir, don't want any trouble sir" is 100% in line with my ideals.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea all these last few points have said for me is that it'd be fun as heck to play a D&D game where 1 hp was 1 gallon of blood and warlords actually did shout your guts back in.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

I mean, of course he wears armor like that. He's a ranger from a jungle continent, he needs to stay cool in the sweltering heat! Totally practical.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Zurui posted:

I mean, of course he wears armor like that. He's a ranger from a jungle continent, he needs to stay cool in the sweltering heat! Totally practical.

Hooray for equality in impractical armor! :toot: Where's this picture from? A model's portfolio or some "gender reversed clothing choices" RPG?

Dec 26, 2012

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

drat, Hennet has kept in shape.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

My Lovely Horse posted:

drat, Hennet has kept in shape.
Not nearly enough belts and pouches to be Hennet.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Davin Valkri posted:

Where's this picture from? A model's portfolio or some "gender reversed clothing choices" RPG?

I am a tumblr and so can you.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Anybody have any thoughts on this White Star thing I'm seeing pop up all over google plus? Anybody had a chance to play?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Benagain posted:

Anybody have any thoughts on this White Star thing I'm seeing pop up all over google plus? Anybody had a chance to play?

I don't really know anything about it, but if people are raving about it it must have something to do with the genre themed rules.
Because I own and have run Swords & Wizardry: White Box and the only remotely interesting thing about it is that the saves were all consolidated into one save.

• Locked thread