Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

Kai Tave posted:

I've never played Dread so I may be off-base but isn't pulling a Jenga block the only resolution mechanic the game has, i.e the thing you're required to do if you want to attempt anything that might have consequences for failure? I mean by that logic you can remain immortal in any RPG by refusing to roll the dice, but that's called "not playing the game."
That sounds like an amazing system for a Spec Ops: the Line RPG.
"None of this would have happened if you'd just stopped. But you kept pulling pieces. And for what?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Rockopolis posted:

That sounds like an amazing system for a Spec Ops: the Line RPG.
"None of this would have happened if you'd just stopped. But you kept pulling pieces. And for what?"

This is a legit great idea.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

about the dread thing, i actually played dread once with a dude who refused to draw and got real smug because he "beat the game". we were in an event horizon scenario and he just hung back on the ship we came in on and didn't do anything. he got real pissy and stormed off when the GM sent some aliens over to our ship because that was "breaking the RULES"

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

gradenko_2000 posted:

Well yes, it's a grog argument, so keep that in mind, but basically the argument is "the rules state I can only fail and can only be in danger if I touch the Jenga blocks, so if I never agree to do anything that would result in me needing to use the blocks, by the rules the DM cannot kill my character"

It doesn't really make sense if you spend more than 10 seconds thinking about it (or weren't being disingenuous)

Best consequence - the player refuses to play the game but eventually the rest of the players knock the tower over and the not-participating character dies.

Player gets huffy. GM cites Rule 0. If he's not going to play, at least he can be an extra life for the other players and serve as a plot device in that the threat they're up against is so deadly that not playing is essentially a death sentence.

Table is down one toxic player, play continues and everyone continues to have fun.

This scenario is incredibly idealistic.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Knocking over the tower is making me think of a Samson-like ending to a game, which in turn is making me think of a Twilight Struggle, Cold War brinkmanship scenario where pressing your claim costs a block, which eventually leads to the other context of a Samson-like ending.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Man, I dunno about idealistic, but those mechanics really hammer home the bleakness of the genre. You're at the mercy of events and the only way to seize even temporary control is to basically play Russian Roulette.
It's like someone decided the core mechanic of their RPG should be based on the Deer Hunter.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Rockopolis posted:

Man, I dunno about idealistic, but those mechanics really hammer home the bleakness of the genre. You're at the mercy of events and the only way to seize even temporary control is to basically play Russian Roulette.
It's like someone decided the core mechanic of their RPG should be based on the Deer Hunter.
Could be worse, they could have based it on Heaven's Gate. Games would take forever.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

FactsAreUseless posted:

Could be worse, they could have based it on Heaven's Gate. Games would take forever.

It's already LARPing dogg:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Heaven's Gate: Hell's Flames: Deathblow: Deathmate RED: This Blood's For You!

illustrated by Rob Liefeld

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Can't be him, I can see at least nine feet in that picture.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

FactsAreUseless posted:

would buy

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
What is that even supposed to be? Some rock opera twist on a passion play?

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

HELL HOUSES are like haunted houses except instead of a fun spooky time they're about how God will torture you!

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Rockopolis posted:

This post and my last post just made me realize an interesting Dread scenario might be Mirai Nikki: the RPG. Gettin' the animes all up in your Western RPGs.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Sounds like a good way to re-skin Betrayal at House on the Hill.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Davin Valkri posted:

What is that even supposed to be? Some rock opera twist on a passion play?

Esser-Z posted:

HELL HOUSES are like haunted houses except instead of a fun spooky time they're about how God will torture you!

They're haunted houses except halfway in (if you're lucky) it becomes one big sermon about how you need to accept Jesus or burn in hell forever.

America is loving wild, man.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

LuiCypher posted:

This post and my last post just made me realize an interesting Dread scenario might be Mirai Nikki: the RPG. Gettin' the animes all up in your Western RPGs.
I read this but instead of what you meant my mind jumped to a Nikki Minaj RPG.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

What's the difference between Hell House and Scared Straight again

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

ProfessorCirno posted:

They're haunted houses except halfway in (if you're lucky) it becomes one big sermon about how you need to accept Jesus or burn in hell forever.

America is loving wild, man.

I am absolutely fascinated by the idea that something like this can exist.

What happens if you are unlucky?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Hell House works.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

Hell House works.

They should show Oz and Rob Schneider's "Big Stan", that will keep kids out of jail

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

paradoxGentleman posted:

I am absolutely fascinated by the idea that something like this can exist.

What happens if you are unlucky?

It happens basically on entrance and you get to spend lots of time listening to a real life rendition of a Chick Track

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

The kids are actually allowed to fit through the doors.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Achtung! Cthulhu.

http://www.modiphius.com/achtung-cthulhu.html

I think it's WWII pulp against Cthulhu and Nazis.

Anyone try it?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Helical Nightmares posted:

Achtung! Cthulhu.

Anyone try it?

Sounds decidedly epic and FTW.

Dec 26, 2012

Helical Nightmares posted:

Achtung! Cthulhu.

Anyone try it?

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

It beats basing the resolution mechanic on the Seventh Seal. Every time you want to take narrative control away from the DM, you have to play a game of chess. After which, the DM continues narrating anyway.

LuiCypher posted:

I keep getting Mirai Nikki confused with Yume Nikki.
Aside from that, how would it work? Play Jenga and narrate until one person knocks over the tower and gets killed by the other? It's like Exalted rocket-tag, you perfect dodge until someone runs out of actions and explodes?

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Rockopolis posted:

It beats basing the resolution mechanic on the Seventh Seal. Every time you want to take narrative control away from the DM, you have to play a game of chess. After which, the DM continues narrating anyway.

I keep getting Mirai Nikki confused with Yume Nikki.
Aside from that, how would it work? Play Jenga and narrate until one person knocks over the tower and gets killed by the other? It's like Exalted rocket-tag, you perfect dodge until someone runs out of actions and explodes?

Not very exciting when you put it that way. I mean, I'm not sure how it would end up any different that just sitting there narrating Jenga. I'm sure there are better systems for it, but it just sort of popped in my head randomly when thinking of a game where the worst losing strategy is not playing at all.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Esser-Z posted:

I read this but instead of what you meant my mind jumped to a Nikki Minaj RPG.
Good to know I'm not the only one.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

my anaconda don't want none unless you roll ones hun

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Captain Foo posted:

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Captain Foo posted:

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

LuiCypher posted:

Not very exciting when you put it that way. I mean, I'm not sure how it would end up any different that just sitting there narrating Jenga. I'm sure there are better systems for it, but it just sort of popped in my head randomly when thinking of a game where the worst losing strategy is not playing at all.
I've been trying to figure it out and the only refinement I can really think of is that taking an offensive action requires you to pull a block, but then forces your target to pull a block? If you pull more blocks, they have to pull more blocks?
The mechanics seem to discourage taking an active role game; it's more about forcing your opponents into a position where they are required to draw? It's the same with card based resolution, the resolution mechanic ticks closer to an inevitable failure each time it's used.

Or it's like actual Russian Roulette, I guess. :madmax:

Rockopolis fucked around with this message at 04:24 on May 12, 2015

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
Did the forums interface get all retarded for everyone else or is it just me?

EDIT: It's hard to read

EDITEDIT: It's fine-ish now just slow :)

Bedlamdan fucked around with this message at 19:56 on May 12, 2015

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Bedlamdan posted:

Did the forums interface get all retarded for everyone else or is it just me?

EDITEDIT: It's fine-ish now just slow :)
That's what happens to me when I'm at work and some of the forum features get blocked.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

That's what happens to me when I'm at work and some of the forum features get blocked.

It's ok I can still browse tvtropes without any issues at least

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Bedlamdan posted:

browsing tvtropes is never ok

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Bedlamdan posted:

oh thank god

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

ProfessorCirno posted:

It happens basically on entrance and you get to spend lots of time listening to a real life rendition of a Chick Track
From what I've heard they also really don't like to let you out until they're done.

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So, what's the rate of success for these places like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I'm really glad that Minmax and the goblins are working their differences, Thunt is really good at his craft.

• Locked thread