Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Are the pearl clutching edgelords not good enough?

I'm a Catholic whore, currently enjoying congress out of wedlock with my black Jewish boyfriend who works at a military abortion clinic. So, hail Satan, and have a lovely afternoon madam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Covok posted:

Perhaps it's out of context as I have never seen the film, but that scene feels really...wrong. It's just a secret agent killing a bunch of civilians in some pretty gorey methods. It feels like the secret agent isn't in control, nor does anyone else, of his actions especially considering his shock. Am I on point?

Yes.
slight spoiler the church is a westboro baptist style hategroup. the agent is trying to investigate the main villain's connection to this group, which it turns out is only as a test for his super weapon - a noise that turns everyone who hears it into a raging monster with no inhibitions.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Don't speak with me please.

Don't Speak

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Fuego Fish posted:

"with gook subs"

Classy.

Huh?
Where does it say that?

E: oh, the uploader description. Ugh.

Error 404 fucked around with this message at 22:34 on May 7, 2015

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

FactsAreUseless posted:

Serious question: Why aren't there more Junji Ito comic with Dickbutt edited in? He's got so many great reaction shots.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Who wants to live forever?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Ettin posted:

Not me, if I have to listen to you two dorks shitpost at each other.

I'm just trying to keep the mood light, he's just being weird (er than usual) for some reason. :iiam:

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
I'll take the GEP gun, for a silent takedown.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

FactsAreUseless posted:

The Deus Ex Non-Sequitur Post Meme

Denton bros, best bros.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Rockopolis posted:

That sounds like an amazing system for a Spec Ops: the Line RPG.
"None of this would have happened if you'd just stopped. But you kept pulling pieces. And for what?"

This is a legit great idea.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Captain Foo posted:

see: bitcoin

And rpgsite

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Zurui posted:

To divert the discussion away from...whatever is going on up there, I just want to say that Bucnasti has the best possible take on the subject. They wrote an RPG about fighting the Man which is progressive as hell. In the seventies the Man was racism and you don't need to represent all of the poo poo that went down any more than you need to emulate the black plague and the plight of the peasantry in Pendragon.

This. Gau just gonna Gau.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

im a chucklefuck idiot

:agreed:

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

FactsAreUseless posted:

Breaking the FAUth wall.

Booosh!

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

gradenko_2000 posted:

Isn't that the entire raison d'etre of science-fiction?

Yep

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Serf posted:

Pretty much. The best SF/F is usually social commentary with a different coat of paint. Sometimes this is a conscious choice and other times the metaphor only becomes apparent to readers. When the latter happens it is generally negative and pretty fun to watch.

Yes

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Hmmm how the hell did any publisher survive before the advent of pulp novels and mass literature.

Effectronica posted:

Genres are a trash concept anyways, so while "genre fiction" may be misleading in one sense, it's very accurate in another.

Dehumanize yourself and face to genre

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Covok posted:

That's just...ugh.

Wow...

That's really bad...

Why?...

Grog for the Grog god!

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

GrizzlyCow posted:

How . . . how is it non-coercive if the women cannot choose to leave? They are being forced to have sex with people against their will. That's rape.

Everything about this is bad.

You haven't even seen the part where girl girl is totes ok but ewww no gay stuff.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

GrizzlyCow posted:

I like the aggressive passive-aggressive shitposting. Gives the thread a lot of character.

Such is Chat Thread.

quote:

Yo, Plutonis, you never said why you dislike the FATE/FAE and PbtA systems. You always so dismissive when people recommend 'em. What's up with that?
Some folks don't like pbta. Haters gonna hate.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Fungah! posted:

yeah but everyone else does it isn't a very good excuse for shjitting out a bad game

What would you consider to be a good game?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Fungah! posted:

i already said apoc world. basically my main criteria are a game knowing what it wants to be and having good mechanics that support that, so like ars magica (there's a ton of system complexity, but the setting's loving impeccable and the game bends over backwards to make mechanics that support it), 4e (it's a bloated mess but it's still the game that does team-based fantasy adventuring best), what i've read about pendragon looks real good. i don't know, there's a bunch of them

Cool. I don't disagree on any particular point. I just actually like DW though, like 4e is cool and fun, but DW just scratches that itch.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Countblanc posted:

D&D is trash

:agreed:

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Fungah! posted:

my problem with dw is that it sells itself as one thing (semi-storygaming team-based fantasy adventure) and the mechanics go against that almost completely.

the reason i like apoc world is that it was designed to be a semi-collaborative storygame where the players aren't necessarily working with or against each other in a world where any choice can go rear end-up in a big way. the players each have their own agenda that doesn't necessarily include keeping the other characters happy or alive, so stuff like aid/interfere and specific moves being able to affect other PCs make sense, the game's built around PCs not getting along all the time. also the system works really well with asynchronous play, which is great when the pcs are a group of individuals instead of a team. combat's insanely lethal because the world's insanely lethal and one mistake can kill you, and the basic moves keep that going. the game's built around only using dice a few a session, usually only when something important's on the line, which means that the difference between a hit and a miss is a big deal. i've got a bunch of problems with the system (the playbooks can be restrictive ebcause the game was built to be a post-apoc melange instead of its own unique thing, which makes it harder to put your own spin on things, Hx is really bad and needs a total rework, combat doesn't feel as tight as it could be, probably some other stuff i'm forgetting offhand) but the system is good overall

the reason i saw dw is lovely cargo cult design's that it took this stuyff that works well in a high-lethality every-man-for-themselves setting and transplanted it over to a setting supposedly based around team-based play and added a bunch of lovely stuff to it. they keep the asynch play and stuff like aid/interfere even though the game's supposed to be a team-based game, which makes it harder to coordinate actions in combat and is a pretty bad tonal inconsistency (am i working with these guys or an independent player? the theme says one thing and the mechanics say something totally else). the thing that really kills it for me's combat, though. bringing over hp totals and damage dice from D&D means that you're goingt o need a bunch of hits to actually kill something, which is loving moronic when you're using AW's combat system. the reason AW's combat works is because you're never going to need more than 2-3 shots to kill pretty much anything and most npcs go down in one or two shots, which means you're going to need at most two or three dice rolls, each of which can gently caress you up pretty badly. dw's combat moves are a) not that bad when you fail the dice roll, which takes a way a lot of the tension and b) not interesting at all when you succeed because you just roll another die and then boom you're done. combat in DW usually ends up just turning into a dumb slugfest where the pcs just stand around in a circle and beat the poo poo out of whatever the monster is until the dice roll enough numbers. this wouldn't be a problem, you could just ignore the combat and do more talky stuff, only combat's suppoesed to be one of the core elements of the setting. you go into monster lairs and beat the poo poo out of them, that's what your supposed to be doing.

there's a bunch of other small poo poo too, like i hate that advancement's tied to bonds beacause that puts a lot of emphasis on forced roleplaying which leads to lovely inorganic moments and bad resolution to character arcs because people want to hit level 2 and get their new sword move or whatever. the base classes also are really lovely and boring and generally teake the least interesting advances from AW classes and throw them all onto a single class, but that's the big thing. the game's supposed to be a blend of high-lethality storygaming and d&d and they took all the worst, shittiest stuff from both of those and just slammed them together into an incoherent mess

Have you ever actually played Dungeon World, or just read it?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

You got a good hang on being a passive-aggressive bitch, you can grow a lot on this road.

Help him obi wan kenobi your his only hope.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Winson_Paine posted:

You are really not prepared for a world where someone could dislike DW as a reasonable conclusion, are you?

Sure I am, but about half the stuff he said he hated wasn't actually in the game or how the game works, so it kinda begged the question.

E: like, agree generally with his conclusion, but the specifics were kinda wonky there.

Error 404 fucked around with this message at 22:07 on May 21, 2015

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

fosborb posted:

had almost nothing in common with the average dungeon delve.

Feature, not a bug.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

gradenko_2000 posted:

On Dungeon World: I've never played it, but doesn't 6-10 + CON HP result in lethal combat? That's just 2-3 hits away from getting knocked down, except maybe for the Fighter and the Paladin who you'd expect to able to take more than a few, on top of it being up to the GM to control lethality by how hard the moves are and how often "deals damage" is used as a move.

Yep.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

I wanna read Illuminatus! because it also has a tongue in cheek yet highly researched view of wack rear end conspiracy theory but can't find it in libraries qq

Built fnord tough

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Ratpick posted:

I like Monsterhearts mainly because it's such a well-designed game: it's laser-focused on emulating a particular genre and does it really well. Even though the genre is one I don't enjoy, I still really appreciate the game for its mechanics.

This.
And its being so well designed is primarily why I'm trying a game of it, even though I avoided it til now because it's not really my kind of thing.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
I'm at work, people are adopting dogs, not too busy.

A good day so far.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Ningyou posted:

ANYway. Puppy adoptions! Puppies are pretty great. Even grogs can't ruin puppies.

You'd think that, but this is neither the forum nor thread to elaborate.

Yes, there is essentially animal grog.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Doodmons posted:

If you want a sandbox PBtA game in a roughly similar genre to Monster of the Week, I can strongly recommend Urban Shadows. It's Apocalypse World if Apoc World was set in 'HBO does Supernatural' instead of 'HBO does Post-Apocalypse'. Same assumption of sandbox play, player-NPC-player relationship triangles, there not really being a "party" or even any necessity for everyone to be in the same place. It's really loving good.

Seconding this.
I have an older version of the rules, its good.
Apparently the latest version is even better.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

BrainParasite posted:

Del the Funky Homosapien.

Yes

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

NinjaDebugger posted:

More interesting if it requires adding a new geas every so often to maintain the effect, and the puzzle becomes finding out what the conditions are and then finding a way to trap the lich into fulfilling them, Cu Chulainn style.

This idea just keeps getting better.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

MadScientistWorking posted:

The problem I have with this and I realized it is that I actually like the high budget 80's television because it was absurd in the good ways. Stuff like Knight Rider from a technical standpoint was surprisingly not bad and pretty good for the time period. The plot on the other hand was batshit crazy to the point where I couldn't tell if they had made an action comedy or were trying to play it straight.

See Also: A-Team

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

MadScientistWorking posted:

How was the A-Team because I was thinking of going back looking at the tv series? The only shows I watched during my 80's binge was Knight Rider and McGuyver.

Original A-Team owns.

• Locked thread