Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuckabees
Aug 8, 2012

"White Liiiiiiines, blow through my miiiind"

--The Fat Boys
Remember when Ralp killed the forums for like, not delimiting a comma or some stuff from FYAD last summer? I sure do. I had a great time.

Mainly because Richard tweeted to make some people really happy by having several of us visit their twitch streams and be really encouraging and good. We all abided because the LMB's were completely pointless for normal purposes since no posts could be pooped. This went on for some nights in between "Kyanka's" personal streams. We had at least three decent and one amazing minecraft Goku's constructed, made some kids happy and even got some push-ups done.

I really don't know how you people work at all. But we should really do that again. I liked it and had a great time. Welcome to the next summer. Kind, en masse, goon based twich visits should be coordinated and executed (imho).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

schmitty9800
Feb 10, 2003

you really need to get laid man

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

oh yeah lowtax i remember him

Morkies
Apr 19, 2015

by zen death robot

schmitty9800 posted:

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
Posting in a thread.

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

Fuckabees posted:

goon should be executed

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Fuckabees posted:

twitch streams

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Kuato posted:

Posting in a thread.

me 2

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

didn't some of you make off sites for your pet subforums. not forums about pets but like, in the sense of "pet project"

Morkies
Apr 19, 2015

by zen death robot

Lutha Mahtin posted:

didn't some of you make off sites for your pet subforums. not forums about pets but like, in the sense of "pet project"

i made a really cool offsite for discussing food stuff, its called lemonparty

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I remember, it wasn't because of comma delimiters though. It was a hardware failure. The admin panel is just a web interface for editing accounts/forums/usergroups/threadtags etc, and it was already a known issue that a couple pages of it weren't loading properly (which we suspected must be hardware related). The edit forum page loaded fine but when I changed the name of FYAD, it was apparently the last straw as the forums slowly ground to a halt and whatever hard drive had completely died within a few hours.

Fuckabees
Aug 8, 2012

--The Fat Boys

Ralp posted:

I remember, it wasn't because of comma delimiters though. It was a hardware failure. The admin panel is just a web interface for editing accounts/forums/usergroups/threadtags etc, and it was already a known issue that a couple pages of it weren't loading properly (which we suspected must be hardware related). The edit forum page loaded fine but when I changed the name of FYAD, it was apparently the last straw as the forums slowly ground to a halt and whatever hard drive had completely died within a few hours.

Hey, no disrespect. I had a great time.

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

Ralp posted:

I GONNA WRECK IT!

NOOO!

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Ralp posted:

Is the something awful forums hardware from the same era as the software

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't think any of it is that old, but the drives that failed were likely past their end of life. But I don't know, I don't deal with the hardware and just have a rough idea of the server layout. The forums are (mostly but not entirely) separate from the front page site, and search and archives run on their own server as well. I believe the secure purchasing system is locked down completely separately too. I might be wrong about any of this but that is my understanding!

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Ralp posted:

The forums are (mostly but not entirely) separate from the front page site, and search and archives run on their own server as well. I believe the secure purchasing system is locked down completely separately too.

They must all talk to the same database somehow though right? Sounds like a maintenance nightmare :(

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack
ralp posts a wall of blame-shifting text itt

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Ralp posted:

lol those fyadders always getting us into crazy hijinks!! :xd:

CISMALES DID 9-11
Jun 5, 2002

chaotic good STEM major; INTJ
i vaguely remember this OP

good thread, thanks

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

lol if u dont invest in DR. log ship your dbs. buy 2 virtual hosts and p2v all your servers in it so you can fail over in case one host fails. just lol

literally tons of options to prevent an outage and you did none of them. i had to go outside.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
yeah I'm still mad that posting was hard for a couple days a year ago

the sheer incompetence

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

hey ralp get them to bring back current releases so people have a reason to go to the front page again

Flo Cytometer
Apr 20, 2015

by Ralp
you are all owned by line 40

sukkit

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
Still appalled that something like that was allowed to happen in TYOOL 2014.

Even *after* I paid $10 nine years prior; unacceptable. We all deserved better given how much we invested.

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Blue Raider posted:

hey ralp get them to bring back current releases so people have a reason to go to the front page again

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

Ralp posted:

I don't think any of it is that old, but the drives that failed were likely past their end of life. But I don't know, I don't deal with the hardware and just have a rough idea of the server layout. The forums are (mostly but not entirely) separate from the front page site, and search and archives run on their own server as well. I believe the secure purchasing system is locked down completely separately too. I might be wrong about any of this but that is my understanding!

Actually it's canon that the purchasing system cc data is all stored in a dogeared spiral notebook under kyankas bed

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
it was funny when that thread called "archives and search are down" had people posting that exact phrase for a month or two and then by some coincidence "archives and search are down" became frontpage news on cnn or whatever

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

... you're just creepy ...
i just wish that they replaced the SA support robot with forums down girl

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer
no

yes

wait no

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Lowtax posted:

no

yes

wait no

Greetings !!

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

oh hi it's a pleasure to be here

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

SA should really start using the cloud imo

Fuckabees
Aug 8, 2012

--The Fat Boys

Lowtax posted:

oh hi it's a pleasure to be here

Lowtax, during this same period you turned me on to longmont potion castle. Please post more friendly stranger based twitch events, tia.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Parallax Scroll posted:

SA should really start using the cloud imo
There are a lot of solutions people have, nearly all of which involve spending money we don't have.

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers
this forum is death

[edit]

Lowtax posted:

There are a lot of solutions people have, nearly all of which involve spending money we don't have.

Lowtax posted:

you are death incarnate

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
daddy came home (:

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

'Sup 'tax

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
haha remember that time goons found out about get out frog? man I was there man like you wouldn't believe it so this one guy made a post, and a bunch of people replied to it and it was all like, a normal thread you know? and then oh man, I guess you just had to be there gently caress lol

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

schmitty9800 posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

Lowtax posted:

maybe you should hire a team of hundreds of interns to bike message paper copies of posts to goons when the forums go down much the like the pony express

• Locked thread