Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

I really hope that Edwards doesn't completely write off the community as a whole after this whole debacle, and you lot can come back to him with a rejiggered kickstarter. I don't care if it takes two years instead of one, I really want to see this book (preferably, for less than 150k).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Theres 100% easier ways to make money than from a dumb video game and anybody who plays that card is just straight retarded.

On the other hand its nice to see my posting featured on TMC, shareholders can contact me to work out compensation for any future posts :sun:

Citizen Rat
Jan 17, 2005

GaussianCopula posted:

BR-5 was the Halloween War which was later. The Fountain war had the one battle, in which CCP fat-fingered the system thingy which would otherwise have been a cap bloodbath and the battle of 6VDT-H, which is probably still the largest battle in EvE history measured by player count, even though it was more a victory parade than a real battle.

For me that timeline is all "fountain war" and a long loving 8 month slog because the enemies didn't really change so I was hearing about the same crew of people the entire time with, largely, the same sets of problems. (ie goons being massively incompetent.)

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Numismancer posted:

Since it was published an hour ago, we've gotten six new backers. One doesn't wilt in the face of unhinged attacks: one attacks back, harder. gently caress'em.

The KS was gutshot from the outset on account of us relying on external PR agency advice which all turned out to be hideous. Regardless of that, you're not going to see our crew kowtow to a howling mob, and 'just delete the article' for calling out those howlers is weak.

The ultimate problem here is one of perception, when people who are nominally on your side of the fence are saying "The language of this looks more like sour grapes" it means the message didn't really fire off the way you intended it to. Or maybe I just read it wrong. Or maybe I'm just not emotionally invested in this.

All of these are possible.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Citizen Rat posted:

For me that timeline is all "fountain war" and a long loving 8 month slog because the enemies didn't really change so I was hearing about the same crew of people the entire time with, largely, the same sets of problems. (ie goons being massively incompetent.)

Kinda yes. Basically N3 "Third Partied (I.e. fought only us)" in a war that had nothing to do with them when it was us vs TEST.

So when it was N3 vs Russians we returned the favor.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

sorry, i was quoting you and also talking to mittaniwife at the same time

you mean sion?

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Frozenpussy posted:

you mean sion?

this is funny on so many levels

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
yeah it really is.

Citizen Rat
Jan 17, 2005

Frozenpussy posted:

you mean sion?

Are you implying that I should have a stern talking to with Sion?

Rhymenoserous posted:

Kinda yes. Basically N3 "Third Partied (I.e. fought only us)" in a war that had nothing to do with them when it was us vs TEST.

So when it was N3 vs Russians we returned the favor.

See those all sort of rolled together for me into one long thing--and the principles were all the same--that I forget that there's a Halloween War.

Biaga
Oct 27, 2009
From a PR perspective is there a reason that the decision to make a story about Eve that didn't focus on something as exciting as B-R? (I assume this has been answered already, but i might have missed it).

Outside of possibly aiming to try out the writer, engage the community, and built up to the B-R fight I fail to see the excitement of the fountain war when you ignore the pure meta-gaming fuckery and political scandal of the conflict. With that note, for most players that drama was boring, I can't imagine how non-players would perceive it.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Citizen Rat posted:

Are you implying that I should have a stern talking to with Sion?

imagine the voice of ben stein whispering sweet nothings into mittens ears.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Biaga posted:

From a PR perspective is there a reason that the decision to make a story about Eve that didn't focus on something as exciting as B-R? (I assume this has been answered already, but i might have missed it).

I feel like writing about B-R would be jumping the shark with the first book. I mean, I don't think Eve gets much better than that, at least not as far as I've played.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Biaga posted:

Outside of possibly aiming to try out the writer, engage the community, and built up to the B-R fight I fail to see the excitement of the fountain war when you ignore the pure meta-gaming fuckery and political scandal of the conflict. With that note, for most players that drama was boring, I can't imagine how non-players would perceive it.

Honestly his style of writing could build a whole novel out of BR- alone.

ChickenWing posted:

I feel like writing about B-R would be jumping the shark with the first book. I mean, I don't think Eve gets much better than that, at least not as far as I've played.

Not really. Some of the best stories I've ever read started with the climax, us knowing how it all ended. Then subsequent books in the series showed how we got there from here. Basically you build a pool of "Investment" early on, then you can slog through more distasteful stories that eventually build to that crescendo.

I'd start at BR-, then write prequels.

During all of this provided that BR- book has legs, you write anthologies from a selection of lower grade authors that skirt around the edges of stories: Even have stories that are unrelated.

Rhymenoserous fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Nov 24, 2015

Citizen Rat
Jan 17, 2005

Rhymenoserous posted:

imagine the voice of ben stein whispering sweet nothings into mittens ears.

Better than the Remedial/Mittens fic that was written. That thing was legit alarming.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

ullerrm posted:

this is funny on so many levels

do..does mittani get pegged by sion too :ohdear:

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Citizen Rat posted:

Better than the Remedial/Mittens fic that was written. That thing was legit alarming.

speaking of alarming

:nws: :siren: https://wiki.goonfleet.com/Mittens_and_DBRB:_A_love_story_in_one_act :nws: :siren:

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
No.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

That is a fantastic troll

e: forgot the link https://www.reddit.com/r/Eve/comments/3u4jty/endie_speaks_his_mind/

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

That's one hell of a pastebin, if it's real it's confirmed stuff I've already suspected. Not that I'm all angsty about it or anything.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I tried using the registration tool, and it's asking me for a vCode or something. Where can I get one? I haven't played eve in like 5 years, was thinking of getting back in.

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings
There may be a lesson here for all regarding the wisdom or otherwise of talking to Xander Phoena.

Service Charge
Jan 22, 2004
I'm not cheap

Rhymenoserous posted:

That's one hell of a pastebin, if it's real it's confirmed stuff I've already suspected. Not that I'm all angsty about it or anything.

Endie confirmed it's real in another thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/Eve/comments/3u47vd/sion_kumitomos_article_on_the_fountain_war_book/cxbr9qj

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

:allears:

That is spectacular, true or not.

edit:

Endie posted:

There may be a lesson here for all regarding the wisdom or otherwise of talking to Xander Phoena.

:laffo:

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Endie posted:

gotta admit, if true, what the gently caress were you thinking

Numismancer
Sep 15, 2004

by sebmojo
The stuff about HARAT and Esildra's corp as a secret finance RMT gambit is extremely well done, though Aryth openly broadcasting for coders for months and finance putting the TMC startup in the public audit thread for years hardly fits the ~hidden conspiracy~ angle. A+

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Endie posted:

Oh good you are following the thread. Are they strangling you in illum yet?

EDIT: Nope looks like you are getting back pats which makes this even funnier. I mean either way it was going to be funny.

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

Citizen Rat posted:

Honestly, I worry more about one of the little passive-aggressive shits trying to poison the dog or something. Because Sitka has yet to meet a treat from a stranger she won't take.

This would require said passive-aggressive shits to 'go outside', and we all know that ain't happenin'.

Unfunny Poster posted:

The freaking out over it being "another way for Mittani to make money" is as dumb as Gevlon's recent article. That is to say, very.

"Mad because incapable of monetary gain from video games".

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Endie posted:

That's a shame, but not all too surprising.

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

Rhymenoserous posted:

Oh good you are following the thread. Are they strangling you in illum yet?

EDIT: Nope looks like you are getting back pats which makes this even funnier. I mean either way it was going to be funny.

I'm not in illum I walked out on it some time ago.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Xolve posted:

"Mad because incapable of monetary gain from video games".

If I was going to get mad about goons getting financial gain/other forms of RL compense from other goons I'd have jumped over the moon for overfunding the GSF servers and feeding solo scotch, or goons giving money to avalloc who doesn't send them t-shirts, or possibly giving boat plex to whelp bomber fleets.

I mean one alliance at one point was ponying up like 1000 bucks a month to pay some dude to FC/run their fleets. Poorly.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Why are EVE nerds to unqiuely pissed about people making money playing this game? Like SA has been the breeding ground for people making money of Video Games since the beginning of time. Yogscast, Pewdiepie, ect.

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

Rhymenoserous posted:

If I was going to get mad about goons getting financial gain/other forms of RL compense from other goons I'd have jumped over the moon for overfunding the GSF servers and feeding solo scotch, or goons giving money to avalloc who doesn't send them t-shirts, or possibly giving boat plex to whelp bomber fleets.

I meant the average r/eve mongoloid, not you.

Not supporting the book because you think Fountain was a boring war is one thing, but if it's because Mittens might make money off it- that's a whole new level of stupid.

Venom Snake posted:

Why are EVE nerds to unqiuely pissed about people making money playing this game? Like SA has been the breeding ground for people making money of Video Games since the beginning of time. Yogscast, Pewdiepie, ect.

Autism.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Endie posted:

I'm not in illum I walked out on it some time ago.

Dammit Endie, you were our voice.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Xolve posted:

I meant the average r/eve mongoloid, not you.

Not supporting the book because you think Fountain was a boring war is one thing, but if it's because Mittens might make money off it- that's a whole new level of stupid.

Autism.

What if we just think it was only interesting if you were emotionally invested in it?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Venom Snake posted:

metastasized, stage four jealousy

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Rhymenoserous posted:

What if we just think it was only interesting if you were emotionally invested in it?

That's EVE in a nutshell. If you weren't there it's just an isk figure and 'we annihilated their fleet' met with a few head nods unless you pull a B-5 or an Asakai.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rhymenoserous posted:

I mean one alliance at one point was ponying up like 1000 bucks a month to pay some dude to FC/run their fleets. Poorly.

I remember an RNK guy saying their guys do 3D mark tests for their computers if they plan to run Triage. If they fall below a certain standard, they buy the guy all the parts for a better computer.

Venom Snake posted:

What?

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
I honest to god hope this turns into an EVE versus the Imperium showdown (well not all of EVE since the Russians won't hit us) because the inevitable Imperial Victory would be so, so sweet. Mittens has my approval to keep putting gas into this fire.

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Venom Snake posted:

I honest to god hope this turns into an EVE versus the Imperium showdown (well not all of EVE since the Russians won't hit us) because the inevitable Imperial Victory would be so, so sweet. Mittens has my approval to keep putting gas into this fire.

It won't, because effort and the probability of loss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also because of all these other games that are more entertaining.

• Locked thread