Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If you are considering playing EVE Online, then you should definitely do it with goons. At the casual level, our ruthlessly efficient space government ensures that you can just log in and do whatever it is you want to do—and there are groups for pretty much any activity, from grinding for space gold in our home space to infiltrating enemy alliances, to blowing up clueless pubbies in high security space, and everything in between. At the less casual level, there are all sorts of opportunities for those of you who love to poopsock and/or who can develop useful skills. As a personal anecdote, I went from just a clueless guy drunkenly yelling at my fellows in the cheapest ships in the game to being in the Sky Team over the course of about six months due to my tendency to grind so much that it makes the average Korean MMO player look sane; and, one of the guys who joined this game later than me, and whom I left stranded scouting for me in the rear end-end of nowhere while on one of the aforementioned drunken roams, is now our Sky Marshal. Our benevolent space tyrant actively looks for people with new and good ideas, and the average goon in space enjoys the best quality of life in the game.

But most importantly, we love the everliving gently caress out of newbies. Free poo poo is showered on you, people are happy and eager to help you out, and unlike most games your character age has pretty much no factor in what you as a player can do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ChickenWing posted:

Eve is like many other sandbox games in that you get out of it what you put into it.

Eve with goons is unlike many other sandbox games because you get out of it about 10x what you put into it. Minimal effort yields amazing returns, and consistently putting in a lot of work will land you somewhere space-important in no time. Hell, even semi-consistently putting in a small amount of work for a short period of time is enough to get you space-promoted (its me im the case in point. join topgoon :3:)

This right here. Short of usurping The Big Man Himself, pretty much every single job position in our lurching space bureaucracy seems to actually be based on merit and commitment. Mittens routinely fires directors who have become inactive or useless, and promotes new blood. People newer to this game than me who are presently directors include Asher Elias, Blawrf McTaggart, Reagalan, and Ted McManfist, among others. Notably those guys were also all in Theta Squad during their early careers. Coincidence, or best squad? You decide.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

goodness posted:

Are there any options to be promoted available for people who can't/won FC?

Blawrf made skymarshal despite having no idea how to FC: that was through recon, and coordinating. Ted McManfist got mentors as a result of his tireless efforts to organize Theta Squad and help newbies (and also Andski getting fired for doing nothing). Someone else already mentioned GSOL. There are directors of all kinds of non-FC things. You just need to be demonstrably good and persistent at what you do. Becoming a director through FCing is actually probably one of the least likely things compared to the other jobs available: even when I was on the Sky Team and leading stratops around the clock, I was not in illum.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MacPac posted:

if you play eve please get good and stop feeding

rude; also, unnecessary

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
dear leader just linked us all to the new, modernized goonfleet logo

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zasze posted:

If you are ignoring mainfleet pings you are profoundly retarded and I cannot help you :cripes:

We built an empire so that goons in space can be free of red pens. One of the things that really inspired me to grind around the clock structure shots was the thought that in so doing I was helping to provide for all those programs like reimbursement and newbee packs, and so that the average goon in space did not have to do anything he did not want to do. Faffing about cluelessly while ignoring the serious business of Internet spaceships is every goon's birthright.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
GoonWaffe ratting tax single handedly funds the reimbursement payouts for all of Goonswarm Federation, and then some. :patriot:

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Demiurge4 posted:

I remember back when BoB was still a thing, nullsec alliances loving hated their carebears and were all about being ~elite pvp'ers~

Many still do, including our allies. Goons are in a very privileged position.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Viva Miriya posted:

Thank your for your sacrifice Lyris "FUCCBOI" Pubstar. 75 neckbeared virgins and Arkhamina will reward you at ice swarm for your martyrdom on behalf of goonkinahahahhahahah

It's the same joy I get from mining a bunch of cobblestone for castle walls in SA minecraft pvp servers like Blockskriege or Keepcraft, and in chopping up deer for biofuel in H1Z1. There is no sacrifice to it: I prefer to do those things because it makes me feel good, whereas some people think they're the most tedious bullshit in the world but greatly benefit from someone doing them.

Also lmbo trying to call out a fat white nerd for being uncool or whatever you sure pwned me ur so kewl.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Thurin posted:

Did you ever join Reavers? I ask because it's pretty much weaponized autism and therefore very much your scene.

I went on a couple of deployments, but that coincided with when I was burning out on EVE Online. I am super jealous of Asher (who is a really great guy), because his SIG is p much what I would love to do all day every day if I was still playing this game.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

vulvamancer posted:

And all I really want to do is faff about and "elite pvp".

Then do it! That is the beauty of our space empire: something for everyone, and you don't have to do any of it you don't want.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
thanks man sometimes its hard to live with my online video game choices

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PathAsc posted:

This already happens with "I am a special snowflake and need reps" on ops. Even when told they are not, in fact, special snowflakes.

A wonderful rule of thumb: if your FC or logi anchor doesn't say the guy is a special snowflake, then he's not and you should feel free to ignore his broadcast spam.

e: Real snowflakes don't even need to broadcast for reps, because they are already on your watch list and/or being called out by the FC when it's clutch; e.g., "all reps on lupercale," "cap to vily," etc.

Addamere fucked around with this message at 23:38 on May 12, 2015

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Go back far enough and the idea of a safety probably seemed pretty dumb, since you could shoot anyone anywhere without invincible space police murdering you.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Reverand maynard posted:

Lyris you never cease to amaze me with how stupid you are. No one likes you and you have got to be the first person ever to get banned from GFSC for being terrible just go away.

Several people have been banned from GFSC for being terrible. I am not one of them. What are you even talking about?

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Your guess is as good as mine boydozer

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hexel posted:

What about that Nut Custard guy who wanted to camp gates in lowsec with blaster megas, he got purged didnt he?

It takes an awful lot to get banned from GFSC. Even that guy who decided he was going to get into a screaming match with adj and then crowed about how proud he was that mittens went and talked to him and his ceo about his lovely behaviour did not get banned until months later.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mikey posted:

Being able to abandon or commissar any of their pets at any time was definitely a fundamental part of the whole GBC thing. There wasn't even the thinnest veneer of equal treatment; if you were in a pet alliance, you were lucky to be treated like a second-class citizen and maybe allowed to come on a strategic op if you belonged to one of the few alliances that weren't just an income source (like EXE).

Why would anyone reasonably want to abandon or commissar allies or pets? Even though we could and have collectively kicked out alliances and corporations, what we seem to greatly prefer is to re-brand existing groups. Instead of kicking Entity X and its n characters with z supers and so on, we can just invite everyone in Entity X minus the people we definitely do not want to stick around to shift their identity to Entity Y and in so doing keep a large percentage of those characters and supers and other assets and infrastructure. It makes far less sense to burn down an entire bridge or even a single pillar when you can instead just isolate and excise an offending human being of dross.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lack of Gravitas posted:

The curse of middle-management isn't just confined to Brave.

And to think, it was even worse when Kelduum and cohort were running the show :psyduck:

By contrast I do not remember any of this back in the days when Dee Carson was their DirOps and the original CEO was still CEO, back in like 2008 or so. You just had to be a nice guy who didn't scam or gank, and the ratting tax was pretty much always 100% since when is someone not at war with E-UNI to pad their killboard? I always assumed that all the comparisons of Kelduum to a sith lord were good-natured jokes based on his character's last name being a reference to the main character in KotOR, but apparently the dude was just an rear end who injected all kinds of terrible policies into an already tedious organisation.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

darth cookie posted:

I don't even know where to begin with this.

Let's be fair dude, while Vee might be an upstanding chap who has done all kinds of great things for goonkind who really knows what this shikubi guy might try?

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What if pooki was right. Makes you think.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
pookie's nightmare, a film by m night shamalamadingdong

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Which part of my post gave you the impression it was ironic?

I think my diagram should be on the SA home page as required reading

yes clearly this piece of inimitable art needs to be seen by all the non-eve goons who do not care about this transient slapfight

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Klyith posted:

Fixed. With the pitiful size of the fleet it sounds like it probably wouldn't have been a problem but whatever. A pubbie FC is overly serious business while leading an inconsequential fleet that does nothing but shoot a pos, that's nothing new.

I have no idea about relative ~space ranks~ since I've not played in months, but taking out Tengus and then losing them or getting them trapped in a wormhole to drink their own piss would likely dampen a pubbie skirmish commander's chances of being invited into the ~Inner Party~ and given sufficient roles to steal our newbie frigate cache. The dream of making off with a hundred (100) atron-class frigates and the fear of never realizing it are both great motivators.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Xolve posted:

who the gently caress shoots a POS with 20 tengus

Not tengus, but I recall a couple of delve (2011?) "welpfleets" where boat had us shoot pos with hurricanes.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
truffle pig rides again bring lots of t1 ammo guys

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I never really understood why boat would outright lie to and make promises to his fleets. The other recognizable FCs like laz and vily always got full stratop fleets without talking about imaginary tackled supers, and even when it's relative no-names like myself whose only minor claim to fame is shooting a lot of pos, enough people show up that we need a second or third fleet in excess of what is required for the mission profile.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I guess the world of Yesterday's Goonfleet dot com was a different one.

I personally never even saw any reason for why shooting pos is considered bad, or boring, or a waste of time. Space in EVE is big, lag and time dilation exist, and it takes time for people to get their poo poo together and go somewhere. Whether you are grinding down a multi-million EHP structure or locked in TiDi for the annual super slugfest, anything you do in a fleet is going to take a pretty big chunk of time. It is only really possible to have fights of any kind on a grid that the other party has a reason to be on, be it camping a gate or defending a station or dogpiling onto a titan that pushed the wrong button, and static objectives like pos with timers associated with them give all interested parties a date to RSVP for smashing their action figures against each other. In short, structure shots and reps generate fights, if not on that specific fleet then on some future one or else the enemy just rolls over and runs away or collapses.

Speaking of enemies rolling over and collapsing, how is the collapse of pretty much every one of our enemies working out for us? I can only assume it leaves Goons in Space with pretty much nothing to do, judging by the recent (lack of) content in TWR.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

vyst posted:

Because if we said POS SHOT FLEET COME JOIN all the time we'd never destroy any POS or win any wars you dumbos.

The staggering number of Siege Fleet paplinks and Baltecs-with-ninja-Dreads fleets that I successfully ran over the course of a couple of years (:ssh: also several drone fleet welps :shobon:) begs to differ.

Addamere fucked around with this message at 20:31 on May 20, 2015

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kalenn Istarion posted:

You of all people should know there is a not small contingent that want only the fun fights without the effort to set them up. Reavers has the same issue.

Yes. But we are large enough that the small percentage of people willing to go on any fleet that gives a stratop pap is big enough to fill the fleets that need them.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I personally really liked to have one or two HICs in any fleet bigger than frigates, because there always exists the possibility that at some point you will be trying to camp a gate or need defensive bubbles—and here's the part where HICs shine—for an extended period. You can do either of those things just as well with a DIC, IFF your DICs each brought a gorillion bubble probes XAND your DICs are able to be at the keyboard to maintain constant uptime. Since it is exceedingly likely that one or both of those XAND arguments will not be true, it is better to have some HICs in those situations who can just turn on their bubble generator modules and go AFK to make a sandwich for all you care and the bubble will stay up and in position without ever running out of ammo; plus, this lets you position your DICs around the grid, cloaked, so that they can warp in to get the :c00lbert: ~perfect~ :master: ~tackle~ :getin: if/when the fight starts.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CashEnsign posted:

I thought Theta was for jewing.

Ted McManfist has been trying to turn it around for the past couple of years; Asher Elias took a swing at the same goal for a while; before them, thecrate used to idly commiserate about how uselessly non-PVP the social group neé squad had become; and, a few other people have tried to make noise and get theta to do something besides rat over the past five years. Ted is notable for having made significant progress where others have failed: working with Shepard Wong Ogeko, Tarei, and other volunteers, theta has transformed from entirely AFK ratters whose only interaction with goonfleet IT services was to EVE shame in jabber to mostly AFK ratters who are always in the same fleet, frequently in Mumble, and willing to shoot something besides red crosses. Plus he seems to genuinely care about newbies and has steered theta towards actually doing things with regards to supporting them beyond paying lip service to allegedly liking them.

Addamere fucked around with this message at 21:49 on May 22, 2015

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jemere posted:

CFC nee Imperium

code:
[b]née[/b]
nā/
adjective
originally called; born (used especially in adding a woman's maiden name after her married name)
We are The Imperium née The Clusterfuck Coalition née nerds in space.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
farts

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I would love to read the chatlogs following that guy filming himself awox and then posting it on reddit.

I just know that he somehow thinks he did nothing wrong.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bonfire Lit posted:

when exactly did "awox" change meaning (again) to "killing neutrals"?

I did not bother clicking on the reddit link but the story being told here as I understand it is that some TNT dude killed a blue jump freighter, filmed it, and then posted on reddit crowing about it.

If not clicking on /r/eve to verify the details of this super important spaceship death has led me to a wrong conclusion then that's a small price to pay and I am content with my decision to instead post about it here.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There's all of like a dozen people good at eve, don't feel bad friend.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Plenty of people send money to neutral alts. If you really wanted to be sneaky, you could put a "Jita market alt" on your api account, send the money there, and then use a series of throwaway alts on a second account as middle-men via contracts or station trades. It would work even better if your jita market alt was in a corporation, ostensibly for having a free extra hangar for sorting things.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

blowfish posted:

:commissar: tmc dot com delenda est

Shaka, when the walls fell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Libluini posted:

Wow, it finally happened: Some random corp has declared war on my random HighSec-industry alt. I'm kind of excited, I've already dragged two other corps as allies into the war and prepared my little POS for war. In case I can't get online when the war starts, I've made sure the e-war towers and weapon batteries are all firing on war targets.

Now I'm interested to see if those six guys actually show up, or if this war ends like the one I totally slept through a few months ago. (A war dec happened, I wasn't on for weeks and nothing happened. The guys were apparently just too lazy to even search for my POS.)

Highsec wardecs will never search for a pos. They will "search" for you on the Jita undock, or if they're particularly motivated shitlers they will camp the undock of whichever system their locator agents shows you in.

• Locked thread