Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

hello first page

EVE is a good bad game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

I'll also note that playing with goons is super fun because with us you can play however the hell you want. We have the power, numbers and clout to make sure that no matter your desire, if the game code allows it, you can do it.

Do you want to be one of the line infantry, shield-locked in formation, following orders from your commander and shattering enemies with your fellow legionnaires? You can do that.

Do you want to be a covert operator, sneaking around behind enemy lines and striking at targets of opportunity, leaving naught but wrecks and tears in your wake? You can do that. (join topgoon :3:)

Do you want to be a market baron, never firing a shot yet fueling the war effort all the same while making piles of :smaug:-gold? You can do that.

Do you just want to gently caress about, chatting in jabber/talking on mumble with chill people while smoking/drinking/drugging yourself into catatonia? You can do that.

EVE is a good game, not because of the game itself (which is already good and getting better monthly), but because of the people you play with. No matter your preference, in a coalition of ~40,000 people there's going to be a group who like the same thing and will help you in achieving that

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Pierson posted:

Can people talk some more about how well the new sov system works and not just the bullet-point features? It looks super-interesting and a million times better than old sov but I've been fooled by this game before!

New sov system isn't out yet, so we can't comment on how good/bad/otherwise it is. Here is the relevant devblog. It's sorta huge but it should have everything you need to know in it.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

New sovblog http://community.eveonline.com/news/dev-blogs/summer-2015-nullsec-and-sov-status-report/

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Numismancer posted:

Right, this new system is officially no longer Fozziesov, but Xttzsov - our great prophet of conquest, peace be unto him.

I recognized bits and bobs but I didn't really realize how heavily we'd contributed until I hit the bit about the variable contest windows and remembered that exact system being posted about a couple months ago.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

CainFortea posted:

Man, Fozzie is really reaching some Grayscale levels of cognizant dissonance.

"This goal would be broken if certain types of forces could somehow just ignore enemies (for instance, through overwhelming remote repair or through evasion)"

followed immediately with...

"The Entosis Link itself should have the minimum possible effect on what ships and tactics players can choose."

How someone can claim both those goals and not see how they're not compatible with each other I don't know. It's like that "7 red lines" video about demands on engineers.

"minimum possible" does not mean "none". There have to be restrictions in place to ensure fun gameplay. What fozzie was getting at is that he doesn't want to put arbitrary restrictions in so that underused ship classes come back into vogue.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Rhymenoserous posted:

Doing that work however is encouraged and rewarding

Eve is like many other sandbox games in that you get out of it what you put into it.

Eve with goons is unlike many other sandbox games because you get out of it about 10x what you put into it. Minimal effort yields amazing returns, and consistently putting in a lot of work will land you somewhere space-important in no time. Hell, even semi-consistently putting in a small amount of work for a short period of time is enough to get you space-promoted (its me im the case in point. join topgoon :3:)

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

~doublepost~

CainFortea posted:

That's not the way it seemed from context of his blog. He claims to not want to fiddle with the meta. But when most of the smaller group fleet meta involves flying poo poo that can't be caught if even halfway aware of your surroundings, that doesn't really mesh well with the rest of his points.

No he absolutely wants to fiddle with the meta, in that he doesn't want to make sov warfare consist exclusively of shotgunning uncatchable interceptors across the universe, and he also wants to break down the apex force problem which has been making eve progressively more unfun every year. Discouraging bad, unfun gameplay from the meta is what he wants to do. Artificially creating a meta is what he wants to avoid.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

CainFortea posted:

How exactly is making trollceptors not work not artificially effecting meta? It's the same thing as making he module only fit on certain classes of ships. Or just adding role penalties to making it not fit on ships. As far as "artificially creating meta" they're the same.

The impression I get from every one of his blog posts seems that he really does want the hit and run gameplay. He thinks that entosis ~wulfpax~ are what is going to generate the most content.

As far as I'm concerned, there's a difference between "excluding this unfun mechanic from the meta" and "shoehorning this random thing into the meta". Evasion based gameplay is not fun and being appropriately disincentivized. That's different from saying "I think battlecruisers should be used more, so I'm going to force the playerbase to include them in their meta by making them a critical part of sov warfare".

One is constructive, removing the possibility of the least fun doctrine becoming the most effective. The other is destructive, limiting player choice (which is something that CCP actively strives to avoid).

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

~my rep backbone~

Hi widestancer

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Um that's garnt, he's in holesquad

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

I guess SV knows what's up now though :v:

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

various cheeses posted:

I'd like to do holesquad stuff, but I don't want to leave Goonswarm.

Leave an alt in goonswarm

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Hey Koshka we should joint deploy again :sun:

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

various cheeses posted:

I miss top goon.

I want to log on at any given time and be like "hey where are we camping?" and then fly to the camp, camp it, and then fly back home full of loot.

Laudable, but also the reason topgoon is in its current state, because that's what -everyone- in topgoon wants (including the leadership sometimes :v:)

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Woodburger posted:

Conversation has moved on but I've been thinking about posting a thread on the forums (if there isn't one) about playing other games with all you lovable people. I just got GTA V for PC and it is dragging me away from Eve. If any of you want to dick around you can add me on Steam, steam name is the same as here. I didn't want to come across as trying to take away from the H1Z1 stuff but it sounds like this actually fits into that idea. Come do some gay heists and gently caress with pubbies with me.

https://goonfleet.com/index.php/forum/50-games/

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Come on Don don't be so jewish about it :sun:

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

im gay

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Yeah low and slow is the way to go with ribs, as with most meat that isn't sear-sear-serve.

I think the last time I did side ribs it was like four to six hours at 200-something covered in bbq sauce, re-basting with the bbq every half hour or so

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Zephyrine posted:

I'm an above average pickler of eggs. Any high fives for that in this meat wank of a thread?

I make some mean pickled eggs.

So what you're really saying here is that you're an enabler of potent farts.

:hfive:

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

evepost posted:

They will offer more advanced functionality over medium-sized Citadels, mainly in the form of area of effect (AoE) defenses

:stare:

evepost posted:

X-Large sized Citadel structures will [...] allow capital ships to be docked (even maybe supercapitals--to be discussed).

:stonk:

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

oh I forgot a bit

blogblog posted:

Structure Doomsday Weapon

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

I'm literally sitting at my desk at work masturbating furiously right now.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Holyshoot posted:

I'm drinking my jamba juice and it taste way better then all your huge :effort: BBQ garbage you guys are on about. ITT goons spend more effort at food then playing Eve.

What's it like being so objectively wrong?

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Holyshoot posted:

How do you figure? Food tastes are all opinions based on the persons pallet. My apologies for not :fap: over food.

It's weak humour based on discarding your opinion. I don't actually figure.

Please join the food circlejerk tia

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

evilweasel posted:

They don't auto-fire. All defenses must be manually controlled.

That seems to directly contradict their intention of not letting one fucker trollsteal your station.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

RattiRatto posted:

Question remains: is this gonna replace POSs or Outposts?

As far as I can tell, the answer is "yes".

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Hexel posted:

You're also a freak of nature who enjoys warping around 20 times in pods and shuttles to gank a freighter solo and had no qualms about stealing 200b from warr akini and defecting to dank meme central :colbert:

not that you're bitter or anything

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Nietzschean posted:

It takes an awful lot to get banned from GFSC. Even that guy who decided he was going to get into a screaming match with adj and then crowed about how proud he was that mittens went and talked to him and his ceo about his lovely behaviour did not get banned until months later.

Was that Rofl Knife?

Please tell me that was Rofl Knife.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

various cheeses posted:

I only vaguely remember who he is, from some topgoon caps.

I mostly remember who he is because he was a shitlord and mouthed off to theadj one time, which was met with predictable results.

#freetheadj

(yes I know he left of his own accord before the inevitable three directors come out and correct me)

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

SPEAKING OF TOPGOON

Topgoon is dead, long live Top Goon.

(we're rebranding and refocusing, look at our TWR post and join topgoon)

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

If soth doesn't play up some sort of Top Gun gimmick as much as humanly possible I will be extremely personally disappointed in him.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

various cheeses posted:

It'll be more flight school than top gun.

I still say we should stick to ECM heavy fleets, as a callback to the camping days.

Never undock without a 1:1 DPS:Falcons ratio

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

polyfractal posted:

ffffffff I felt the call of the motherland and resubbed. :negative:

Haven't played since 2010 ... have we forgotten to pay bills again or anything equally drama-worthy in the last few years?

Is moon mining still profitable? I had a love / hate relationship (ok, mostly hate) with my POS. But for some weird, masochistic reason I enjoyed tending a fleet of POS and printing isk while sleeping*

*When I wasn't waking up in the middle of the night to feed the reactors...

Drama: We started a rental empire. We started a corp that recruits from reddit. We recently completed the transition from funny gimmicks to tryhard gimmicks. Frabba killed sig towers (honestly this is the worst bit out of everything).

Moon mining is super profitable, but good luck getting anything - R64s and some R32s are nationalized, and everything else profitable is goonrushed. Reaction farms are a great way to make isk if you've got like 12bn seed cash sitting around.

E: different topic: Man, TMDC has really been in the shitter lately. while they appear to have sorta-fixed their misshapen boxes problem, now half the titles don't fit. Also there's been next to zero content. There's gotta be something to write about guys,

ChickenWing fucked around with this message at 14:50 on May 15, 2015

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

polyfractal posted:

Sig as in sigma towers? Prolly deserved it, those drat things killed me a dozen times. I can't wait to rejoin my incompetent sigma brothers.

No, towers of images in your signature. Homeland Defense had some truly majestic ones which were wiped out in the sigocaust. Luckily drew carnegie was able to save his and post it in a more horizontal (but smaller :( ) format.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

I was under the impression that for mach reimbursement instead of giving you the money they just gave you the last couple skillbooks you needed for your titan of choice and told you to start saving :v: or have the skill requirements changed since I last checked?

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Oh god I'm dying. Rot in hellBRAVE, Johnny Rah

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

I was never a :shobon: newbee, just a terrible pubbie with exclusively red-cross-shooting experience. My "intro to not being terrible" experience was when I learned that not only was my HIC not useful at a cloaky gatecamp, but that I was perhaps the only person in existence that had trained into a HIC but not a dic :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

jassi007 posted:

So I apologize if these are stupid questions, if I was in the corp like 2-3 years ago, can I rejoin? (assuming I am not currently in it) Is it worth joining if my playtime is realistically like 1-2 hours a night 2-3 times a week? I am thinking of reactivating my account.

Yes, assuming you're not blacklisted for some reason.

Sorta - it all depends on what you want to do. Most mainfleet poo poo takes ages to get spooled up, and even longer to go do its thing, which may or may not result in a fight. Most of the sub-organizations do their own poo poo which tends to get out of the gate faster and be a little more flexible on where you're going/what you're doing/how long you can stay out for. Plus, generally if you can't find something to do with people there's a reasonable amount of solo activities you can get up to with varying levels of fun.

• Locked thread