Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Numismancer
Sep 15, 2004

by sebmojo

Right, this new system is officially no longer Fozziesov, but Xttzsov - our great prophet of conquest, peace be unto him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Numismancer
Sep 15, 2004

by sebmojo

goodness posted:

Are there any options to be promoted available for people who can't/won FC?

There's lots of upward mobility based on merit in almost every ~silo~ of our org. However, to get into Illum, one does not ask to be promoted, and when someone is promoted they're not given a choice. Whenever you see a 'rest in piss' broadcast it's because some talented idiot has foolishly demonstrated merit in front of one of us, been noticed for it, and was abruptly shanghai'd into the directorate.

I don't think I've asked permission to promote someone even once in the last five years of CEOing.

Zephyrine posted:

Promotion implies hierarchy.

The Goonswarm "rank" structure is essentially an upside down pyramid where the line members at the top enjoy all the privileges with none of the responsibilities.

You can then progress down the ranks for more responsibilities and less time to enjoy the privileges if you have an inclination towards self masochism.

GSF works because we make it rain on the line instead of embezzling isk to buy fancy ships for ourselves (which is why you never have to worry about me running off with the alliance isk, I don't need to buy anything ingame ever) and yeah, the more merit you display the more crushing responsibility is imposed upon you. The most free of goons is the 'humble' line goon, who can do anything with zilch responsibility.

Numismancer fucked around with this message at 19:56 on May 7, 2015

Numismancer
Sep 15, 2004

by sebmojo
Eisenhorn's slow descent into self-justifying radicalism in books two and three is the best of Abnett's work. It's precisely because Eisenhorn is so intelligent that he's able to do such a good job of fooling himself, while being partially aware of that process as it takes him into overt sorcery.

Numismancer
Sep 15, 2004

by sebmojo

Viva Miriya posted:

Its good as gently caress! I just reserve the right to call out Eisenhorn for doing the dumbest poo poo whilst telling himself "the end justifies the means, I KNOW WHAT I'M DOING GOD-EMPEROR DAMNIT!"

That's a feature, not a bug~

Anyhoo in Eve News (tm) not only are we having to reschedule Burn Amarr to be June-ish, we're skunkworksing on a new homeland defense organization to help defend ratters and miners, something we've never bothered to do before in the history of Goonswarm because it was literally pointless until Fozziesov hits in July. This isn't even an 'avoid entosis hacking' thing, that's mainfleet work, but a 'how do we keep our otherwise kind of silly afk ratters from dying horribly to lone interceptors' group.

Index Defense SIG, not sure what to call it, thinking of literally naming it "The Index" because I'm hopped up on tons of cold meds. Good excuse to use lots of fast anti-frig poo poo like Jackdaws and Mordus ships, zoom around Dek blowing up would-be gankers, etc.

Since I'm hopped up on cold meds I'm announcing this draft idea here, it's actually a tough nut to crack because inties are essentially uncatchable unless we literally standardize doctrines for ratting ships to ensure they have enough EHP to survive until help arrives.

Numismancer
Sep 15, 2004

by sebmojo

Ego Trip posted:

Didn't Theta kind of do that already?

We don't ever direct social squads or give them responsibilities. Defeats the purpose of a pure-chill (or un-chill of you choose one like that) social unit.

Numismancer
Sep 15, 2004

by sebmojo
I didn't expect 'talk about sov delays on the metashow' to send me into a black mood, but god drat. Ugh. :ccp:

Numismancer
Sep 15, 2004

by sebmojo
No more discussion of "who did something to offend some kind of sensibility at a Vile Rat memorial op". The idea that people who did not know VR are offering views on what he would or would not enjoy in a blueshoot thunderdome and what is appropriate or not under the circumstances of such an op sends me into an unthinking rage.

The absolute last thing that is wise in GSF is to try to talk about VR this or VR that if you didn't know the guy, or incorporate that into some kind of petty intra-squad drama which is, in reality, not between squads, but between individuals and then extrapolated unfairly to whole groups on both sides. Normal human psych bullshit and unavoidable there, 'one guy mouthing off' becomes 'mainfleet', etc.

I'm posting this 24 hours+ after the flareup so the red mist has cleared a bit from my eyes and I won't randomly execute motherfuckers. I'll glance at the bullshit drama in about four days and expect shoegazing and foot-shuffling from anyone dumb enough to have done the above. It should be obvious as gently caress to anyone with half a brain stem the danger of touching the ~third rail~ of bringing up VR in the context of bullshit like this in alliance run by a guy still mourning the murder of one of his best friends.

Numismancer
Sep 15, 2004

by sebmojo

masteen posted:

I'm so goddamn mad I posted this improperly as a separate thread. I apologize to the mods for my retardation. But anyway...

I want to be mad at those faggots in FCON for loving up our fun this year, but I honestly think that there has to be more to it.

Excuse me while I don my tinfoil cap.

I bet it's related to the bullshit name change from Clusterfuck Coalition to Imperium. It's CLEARLY geared to make us more palatable to the gaming audience as a whole. Less dirty words in our group name, contracting our massive cockprint on the EVE universe, expeditions into other games (all with developer support), and now this. We are having our goonish culture neutered so that Mittens and Company can take his little Internet empire into the mainstream.

I'm sticking around only because of the Special Group That Shall Not Be Named. At least OUR culture remains pure and hostile to all pubbishness.

I think I should print and frame this post. I adore everything about it. The next time a True Flamer pops up, we can simply c&p this to them as they wail about their transcendent gooniness, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing~

Numismancer
Sep 15, 2004

by sebmojo
SV isn't being shuttered (the gently caress did this thread even get that), BOS was kicked for the same reason any corp that loses its stakeholder on month 1 and is told to shape up by month 2 and doesn't, Burn Amarr is still cancelled because of FCON and I have no clue why anyone thinks we'd give a poo poo about Hole Squad from an alliance level. The past few pages of this thread is full of Hole Squad discussion, we never talk or care about them as they're in a goddamned wormhole and it doesn't matter.

If you want to feel like a rebel who ~the man~ is breathing down the neck of or something, you gotta talk it up or invent some kind of mystical conspiracy to feel oppressed?

Membercorp rules are crystal clear to every CEO in GSF. BOS isn't blacklisted or banned from the coalition in any way, which is standard for metrics/stakeholder kicks (kicks 'for cause' get you blacklisted). They were an old PL corp for years before Suas brought them over, Suas left a year+ ago, and they'll be happy in Syndicate forever like they always have been since like 2004. vOv

Numismancer
Sep 15, 2004

by sebmojo

grumplestiltzkin posted:

Numerous high ranking people publicly saying they don't like the squad, the single biggest membercorp getting kicked out for not participating in peacetime "strat" ops, and having our srp ripped with no warning or reason communicated (by, again, a high ranking person who has publicly stated that they do not like the squad).

It may be :tinfoil: to think that the leadership doesn't want us around, but its pretty loving obvious why we'd think that. You're in the position you're in specifically because you're good at spaceship politics, so this "gosh I can't possibly imagine why you guys are so defensive" act is just purestrain poo poo. You're not that loving stupid, don't act like it.

Yes, I am quite good at politics, which is why I know exactly what the offense is ~actually~ coming from, regardless of what many people claim it is. And hey, you're going to be even more angry when I call this poo poo out and underline precisely why I don't give a gently caress.

If you consider an auth director and a reimb director who are essentially bureaucrats with the absolute worst jobs in GSF to represent top-level alliance policy, you're grasping at straws. The rules for all corps are clear and repeated in sticky threads each month. Every corp in GSF does small gang pvp constantly while also fighting on the line for macro-level strategic security: SV are not the ~true flame of small gang pvp~ any more than BAT or EG.

Cold mathematics and common security brought this about - which is why conspiracies and martyrdom are so emotionally attractive as 'reasons' for the 'victims' of what has occurred - the hard fact that BOS was not pulling their weight even after being warned to fix their poo poo last month doesn't fit well with whatever heroic image they and their supporters have latched onto. It's much more comforting to the ego to say "We alone do small gang PvP, we alone hold the True Flame, it's totally not the case that every other membercorp does the exact same poo poo while still focusing on the common good of the whole alliance, and it's totally not the case that we got nuked for a conscious decision to be selfish and consider ourselves above the rest of the community."

Stratops protect everyone. You are not required to go on them, but corps get purged if they do not ensure a minimum amount of effort towards the common good. Those are the rules, and everyone else besides BOS has managed to enjoy non-stratop content just fine while working together to protect our people. BOS is not a unique or special snowflake with plot armor. There is no true flame - and usually that flame is just hiding selfishness and a refusal to help the alliance and community.

The whole line of reasoning about 'abloobloobloo metrics' and 'abloobloobloo stratops' is so specious I usually just purge it and move on: you can't teach someone to not be short-sighted. We have participation metrics to ensure everyone works towards common goals, because when participation is encouraged it means the whole alliance and coalition spends /less/ time on stratops, wins wars with crushing efficiency, and we can go back to derping around Burning Amarr, doing small gang poo poo, scamming, loving around, etc. Look at the Imperium at war vs Darkness at war recently in Querious, dying helplessly to our Reavers for a month+.

The wars of this administration have been some of the shortest and most consistent in GSF history: the foe is typically broken inside of a month, then there is far more casual cleanup month where everyone can relax. We have long period of peace and security where our line can spend their time doing small gang pvp (and yes, darling, that exists outside of SV, BOS, and Syndicate, shocking I know) and loving around with no obligation.

Why? Because when I say it's time to be serious, everyone gets the gently caress to work, gets the job done, and then goes back to relaxing and loving about the moment the hard work is over. Those who are so selfish as to not pitch in to do the work - meaning that their fellow goons are stuck working harder for longer and putting everyone else at risk - we purge them. Righteously. Not 'oh man this is a tough thing to do, I'm so hesitant about it' - nope. We do it while thinking gently caress you, get the gently caress out you selfish entitled shits.

This is why I don't care about the delicate feelings of ~true goons~ (who are often J4Gs or membercorp types anyway) because it's nothing but a mask for 'gently caress you dad I don't wanna' - especially when Waffe isn't even required to hit loving participation targets.

So yeah, SV is safe, Hole Squad is safe, and any corp that refuses after being warned to help the common cause like everyone else can get the gently caress out and I have no sympathy at all - and that's nothing new. You serve on the line or you serve on the firing line - and that's precisely why GSF is able to spend 90% of its time outside of stratops faffing about and indulging in our every depraved whim.

Numismancer
Sep 15, 2004

by sebmojo
I've posted regarding the BOS kick. Anything about SV being persecuted is nonsense. Syndicate reimb was temp-yanked due to the abuse which occurred in the past as a precaution surrounding the BOS kick. If that is 'persecution' then don't abuse reimb. The Southwest generally will be our future content farm and will be reimbursable.

If you want to twist your brain into knots with casuistry to try to make Vyst and Atrum into the highest officials of the alliance when everyone else rubs shoulders with directors in scads of jabber channels on the daily, I'll make some snacks and settle in to watch the show. This is why I like Eve, rationalization fascinates me. The end goal is to feel like a noble persecuted victim oppressed by a faceless government, facts and reality of the lack of said persecution be damned. The posts of the past couple pages are an elaborate show of how one can get from "no persecution actually happening" to the end goal of being up on a cross.

Nothing is happening to SV, anyone making Vyst and Atrum into GRAND OFFICERS OF A DISCONNECTED DIRECTORATE is a hilarious joke to anyone not wrapped up in an unfounded victim complex. No one cares, nothing is happening to the squad, nothing is happening to Hole Squad either (apparently Hole Squad has a number of posters here who think the ~boot of oppression~ is destined for them too, when in reality who gives a gently caress about wormhole funsies, go hog wild), and you are not a special goddamned snowflake.

The 'guys this isn't fair we're not formally at war why kick BOS at all' line is utterly comical: only BOS failed, two months in a row, and after being warned to fix their poo poo. Lakz was booted as stakeholder from Illum last month due to their poo poo participation. They did not even try to improve. The 'nothing going on in Eve' wasn't an issue for /any other membercorp/ during the same period.

Numismancer
Sep 15, 2004

by sebmojo

grumplestiltzkin posted:

Goddamn dude, you loving love yourself some strawmen, don't you?

This is like a 15 year old tumblr activist sticking an Anonymous sticker on the back of his macbook and then having a fit of paranoia because he's such a goddamned rebel that the FBI and NSA are totally going to knock down his door at any moment to deal with this Serious Blow Against The Man.

Here's a TOP SECRET ULTAVIOLET LEAK of a dialogue between the TYRANT OF THE IMPERIUM and the oppressed LEADER OF SPACE VIOLENCE:

(6:26:32 PM) koshka_narkotikov@goonfleet.com/ba45f479: hey mittens this whole thing is dumb
(6:26:47 PM) koshka_narkotikov@goonfleet.com/ba45f479: and im going to chill all the sv bad posters out
(6:27:05 PM) koshka_narkotikov@goonfleet.com/ba45f479: no one who actually plays believes illum or you is trying to kill sv
(6:27:38 PM) the_mittani@goonfleet.com/2a062344: i don't really give a poo poo, you can't convince a martyr that he isn't a martyr
(6:27:41 PM) the_mittani@goonfleet.com/2a062344: mostly i think it's funny
(6:27:49 PM) the_mittani@goonfleet.com/2a062344: i don't give a gently caress about sv and never have
(6:27:54 PM) the_mittani@goonfleet.com/2a062344: i don't give a gently caress about hole squad either
(6:28:04 PM) koshka_narkotikov@goonfleet.com/ba45f479: dude
(6:28:07 PM) the_mittani@goonfleet.com/2a062344: but reading the SA thread you'd think we're obsessed with them
(6:28:46 PM) koshka_narkotikov@goonfleet.com/ba45f479: atrum has been trolling the gently caress out of both groups for a while and alot of people cant seperate atrum from ~illum~ or whatever
(6:29:11 PM) koshka_narkotikov@goonfleet.com/ba45f479: but all i asked for was a heads up and he has been in full gently caress YOU mode
(6:29:19 PM) koshka_narkotikov@goonfleet.com/ba45f479: my spat was only with him
(6:29:52 PM) koshka_narkotikov@goonfleet.com/ba45f479: no one is actually trying to make sv a martyr we are not relevant we are not ~true goons~
(6:29:57 PM) koshka_narkotikov@goonfleet.com/ba45f479: or any of the above
(6:30:11 PM) koshka_narkotikov@goonfleet.com/ba45f479: i have no idea how this got so dumb but ill step up and take the blame
(6:30:40 PM) the_mittani@goonfleet.com/2a062344: i don't care so there's no blame to be had?
(6:30:41 PM) the_mittani@goonfleet.com/2a062344: like
(6:30:44 PM) the_mittani@goonfleet.com/2a062344: seriously
(6:30:58 PM) koshka_narkotikov@goonfleet.com/ba45f479: o dragkhar hit me up like poo poo was real and to talk to you
(6:31:00 PM) koshka_narkotikov@goonfleet.com/ba45f479: :shrug:
(6:31:19 PM) the_mittani@goonfleet.com/2a062344: how about i just c&p this into the sa thread and tell everyone they're dumb as all hell and to climb off the loving crosses
(6:31:34 PM) koshka_narkotikov@goonfleet.com/ba45f479: sure
(6:31:38 PM) the_mittani@goonfleet.com/2a062344: draghkar was probably just worried that i'd care or something? who loving knows
(6:31:52 PM) koshka_narkotikov@goonfleet.com/ba45f479: no idea we are not trying to hang ourselves
(6:32:14 PM) koshka_narkotikov@goonfleet.com/ba45f479: we just want heads up when atrum starts rage pinging us and banning reimbursement and telling us to get hosed
(6:32:19 PM) the_mittani@goonfleet.com/2a062344: how about you guys smoke some loving weed and go outside, it's saturday
(6:32:21 PM) koshka_narkotikov@goonfleet.com/ba45f479: thats all
(6:33:10 PM) the_mittani@goonfleet.com/2a062344: slapfights over trivial poo poo with a reimb director are not a grand conspiracy
(6:33:22 PM) the_mittani@goonfleet.com/2a062344: and you guys got into his poo poo list by abusing reimb in the past so my sympathy level is zilch
(6:33:29 PM) the_mittani@goonfleet.com/2a062344: long term we want the whole sw to be reimb as it's a content farm
(6:33:36 PM) koshka_narkotikov@goonfleet.com/ba45f479: i was playing frisbee when people started blwoing up my phone man ahaha i just didnt want anything to get out of hand
(6:33:47 PM) the_mittani@goonfleet.com/2a062344: ahahahah are people seriously doing phone tree panic poo poo, this is amazing
(6:33:51 PM) the_mittani@goonfleet.com/2a062344: aaaaaaaaaaahahahhaahhahahh wow
(6:33:53 PM) the_mittani@goonfleet.com/2a062344: how loving dumb
(6:34:01 PM) the_mittani@goonfleet.com/2a062344: THE DIREKKKTORATE IS COMING RUN
(6:34:05 PM) koshka_narkotikov@goonfleet.com/ba45f479: well people were saying sv was rudderless and to shudder the squad
(6:34:10 PM) the_mittani@goonfleet.com/2a062344: 'people'
(6:34:12 PM) koshka_narkotikov@goonfleet.com/ba45f479: tunesmith was like yo im taking over
(6:34:18 PM) koshka_narkotikov@goonfleet.com/ba45f479: and im like wtf is going on
(6:34:32 PM) the_mittani@goonfleet.com/2a062344: you guys figure your own poo poo out if you need to, i don't bother with social squads as they're... social squads?
(6:34:35 PM) the_mittani@goonfleet.com/2a062344: vOv
(6:34:43 PM) the_mittani@goonfleet.com/2a062344: i don't even know who runs theta for example
(6:35:04 PM) koshka_narkotikov@goonfleet.com/ba45f479: sv is literally shoot mans and go where the sky team sends us, its like not even a thing that needs drama
(6:35:41 PM) the_mittani@goonfleet.com/2a062344: anyhoo idgaf i'll c&p this into the sa thread and maybe they'll just get furious at me for laughing about the whole thing? who knows
(6:35:50 PM) the_mittani@goonfleet.com/2a062344: thanks for checking in you've got nothing to worry about regardless
(6:36:14 PM) koshka_narkotikov@goonfleet.com/ba45f479: cool im going to go get drunk
(6:36:18 PM) the_mittani@goonfleet.com/2a062344: that's my plan too hi5

Enjoy your manufactured drama, I'm going clubbing~

Numismancer
Sep 15, 2004

by sebmojo
So, we may have completely broken this new system open like an overripe melon inside of eight hours of Brain Trust (tm) but it's early yet, we could be wrong or full of hubris or too much coffee, etc. Only way to prove it is to roll a region using this new method and see what happens!

Numismancer
Sep 15, 2004

by sebmojo
I could be entirely wrong about this, but as the scale of the social dynamics of Eve has increased over the years, it seems CCP should have employed a social psych guy or a poli sci guy in addition to their economist. We repeatedly have seen in the last year or so the intriguing outcomes of what happens when people who prefer small scale groups (and thus their primary gameplay experience and social experience is with the same small handfuls or tens of humans) apply whatever the hell it is they think will nerf, break up, or impact vast social communities of tens of thousands despite an apparent total incomprehension of how said communities work in reality.

Pretty much every mechanics change that has been thrown at organized nullsec communities since Greyscale and Phoebe with the overt intention of reducing their scale, organization or power has done exactly the opposite. It's like the scene at the start of the Fifth Element where the Navy keeps shooting nukes at the Big Evil Thing and only makes it stronger and more deadly each time they do so. The weaker and less organized competition collapses utterly, the strong grow stronger and immediately make deals to enjoy ever-larger slices of the pie (since so much competition has conveniently been swept away by raising the difficulty level) and cackle while contemplating ways to amuse themselves at the expense of everyone else not part of the G8.. er, I meant J5. There's some kind of international relations metaphor to be made here, one suspects, as well as jokes about pictures of Elise Randolph, myself and UAxDeath Yalta-confing it up while clubbing in Vegas.

In completely unrelated news to the above - no connection whatsoever - I'm legit disappointed that I can't actually log into Eve's client and wreak havoc today. There's so much to do in this beautiful lovely new system, alas~

Numismancer
Sep 15, 2004

by sebmojo

Glory of Arioch posted:

is it actually ccp who prefers these sorts of smaller groups, or is it just ccp preferring to listen to other people who have these sorts of preferences while simultaneously distrusting anything a larger group tells them out of abject fear of getting forex'd again

It's always a mistake to generalize intentions to the whole company when the mechanics changes I've mentioned are derived from the decisions of a handful of game designers as individuals. So "CCP" doesn't want this or that re: groups, a particular designer or team may believe this or that when given a design portfolio.

Contrast the blogs and design decisions of when Stoffer and Unifex were at the helm - both had top-tier bloc experience, as Stoffer was a senior member of GSF's directorate before he went to CCP and Unifex was an actual alliance leader, when compared to the moves Greyscale would try to make. These are risk-free comparisons to draw in this post because none of the above are with the company any longer.

The 'issue' with Fozziesov handing more power to organized groups doesn't come from the isk, but the relative complexity which spirals out of control if you aren't organized from the get go. One doesn't need to grind structures with supercaps, but if you as a young alliance don't understand how to organize a defense across your territory and guard against aggressors during a vuln window, you are punished with cosmic-whack-a-mole and more hacking chores.

The man-hours sunk into this raises pressure on a group from day one - if they manage to get the servers back online, huge chunks of the galaxy are going to be in a mad, frantic, confused scramble to defend in a new system they barely understand, while PL and the Imperium have very little in the way of 'space chores' due to the organization preventing balls being dropped in the first place (in PL's situation, their brain trust and planning allows them to enjoy the system entirely without space, and god bless) so these organized groups with extra slack/bandwidth/mental space will simply load up everyone else on even more timers and chores, punishing the disorganized with impossible levels of work. The system explicitly rewards organization via the vulnerability window shrinking, so the organized and coordinated have less risk, less oversight required/day, which means at the high end a sovholding org can watch its own home for 4 hours a day and spend the other 20 hours hacking everything in sight using only subcaps. That's a lot of hours of offensive fuckery available for folks like us and PL.

Meanwhile, illum leak:

(4:07:24 PM) the_mittani: you know
(4:07:35 PM) the_mittani: my dream with eve would be for them to finally make a game i'd want to log into and play
(4:08:00 PM) the_mittani: the problem with eve's pve is that if you can scam or spy you don't need isk, it's pointless unless it intrinsically motivates you which it doesn't for me
(4:08:17 PM) the_mittani: but i was fired up to log in and help shoot red crosses all day to jack the indexes in pure blind
(4:08:49 PM) rdevz: They're red triangles now.
(4:08:53 PM) rdevz: Progress.
(4:08:55 PM) the_mittani: (it's easier to log in and out of pve gameplay because you just cloak and log if you have something come up compared to 2+ hours or more on a pvp fleet, but i hate eve pve unless it serves a goal)
(4:09:09 PM) the_mittani: and today i'm loving all 'hey let's log into... wait'
(4:09:19 PM) midge_moyb: you should lead mining fleet
(4:09:20 PM) vicki_rail: lol
(4:09:22 PM) the_mittani: the irony is off the charts
(4:09:31 PM) midge_moyb: get them indy indexes up

Numismancer
Sep 15, 2004

by sebmojo

Klyith posted:

But I don't get why you are saying that fozziesov is about breaking power of big groups. We asked for occupancy and a sov capture mechanic that wasn't grinding structure HP, we got occupancy and a new sov laser. The entosis mechanic fractionally reduces the ability of a coalition to mutually support each other, but honestly that could just be a nice side effect rather than a design goal. It's easier to program a owner vs everyone sov laser than something that checks standings or whatever.

I bolded the funny part. (obligatory https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXpuRIZzJog here)

Eve is of late designed in a top-down way. There is no 'we asked for' - the cacophony of competing howls from the playerbase in aggregate and the CSM provide handy cover for individual agenda-setting. It tends to be received poorly by designers when the playerbase does rarely unite to ask/demand a change - (viz Incarna, repeated demands for Ishtar nerfs, universal acknowledgment of the idiocy of drone assist, the JF fatigue implementation going too far, the sheer offensive audacity of the Null Deal). This is simple psych, game devs usually think they know best and don't like being told to do X Y or Z by players, and that's not unique to CCP but industry-wide. Recall what Fozziesov looked like when first mooted compared to now, and imagine what it would be like if the buff to sovholding value hadn't been added at the last possible moment.

When everyone is asking for everything, no one is asking for anything - and someone telling you they listened to you is blowing smoke up your rear end. This happens in just about every game out there.

Numismancer
Sep 15, 2004

by sebmojo
The real hilarity: pubbies are already complaining about how Fozziesov is not actually their imagined-for fanfic fantasy but instead contains elements of weaponized boredom, when we have yet to go on the offensive and demonstrate what an organized bloc can do with this sucker. Done right, this is going to be an Outside Context Problem. So far all that has been seen from this system is random ADHD guerrilla pvpers discovering that they can't handle patience even in 10 minute increments while we quietly test-case poo poo in Querious.

Meanwhile, folks can help us by coming up with a name for strategic PvE besides 'WarKrabbing', tia~

Edit: Let's pause for a moment and consider how for months the playerbase focused on the role of the solo-hacking 'trollceptor' without realizing that the kind of player who would fly such a hull would never in a million years sit orbiting a structure in an empty system for even 20 minutes doing nothing, much less 40m+ for a properly-ADMed system. Here's your gameplay, solo elite ADHD inty pilot: hack for 20-30 minutes with nothing happening, get dropped or chased off by force you can't fight, run away, find another system and begin twiddling for 20-30 minutes with nothing happening once more - exactly the kind of gameplay NPC 0.0 types are looking for~

Numismancer fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jul 17, 2015

Numismancer
Sep 15, 2004

by sebmojo

darth cookie posted:

On the other hand; strategic mining to raise indexes. To the point where procurers are now SRP'd. :barf:

A ton of our guys rat and mine already and now it's strategically useful - the carebear vs pvper circle has been squared in sovnull at last. This is a good thing, and every time I read some TRI shitlord acting too cool for school about this core aspect of any occupancy sov system, I giggle. Everything, PvE or PvP, should contribute to the success of a space empire, and until now only PvP has which is why you get alliances like TRI and NCdot that simply can't cope.

Numismancer
Sep 15, 2004

by sebmojo
This patch is increasingly looking like one big micdrop by GSF and our ever-increasing braintrust. If you have ~principles~ from the outside looking in about how we should roll, we're eager to hear them if you can somehow shout them over us having https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhSCAp3bCQY and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CPlF-IEkXQ on repeat at max volume.

Big fan of Fozziesov plus or minus a couple of little tweaks at the edges so far, lots of meta and tactical possibilities. Good to have the old evecitement vibes again. About the only thing our foes can seem to muster about Finance's end-run around the anti-renter mechanics changes (shout-out to Aryth yet again, seriously having renters both provide isk for us AND massive defensive bonuses is a breathtaking bit of out-of-the-box thinking) is that our baseline tax rates in GSF are too high - since free ships and reimbursable everything for goons flies in the face of their fedora-given convictions or something.

poo poo's pretty baller all the way around.

Numismancer
Sep 15, 2004

by sebmojo

Klyith posted:

I don't get why the new renters need to be in GSF -- don't indexes still go up no matter who is doing the ratting / mining? They could be in the old PUBLRD alliance and just live in Pure Blind under GSF sov, then we come reset the occasional progress bar.

Or did fozziesov close that loophole and make only the sov owner's alliance contribute to indexes?

A whole gaggle of reasons, some of which we're keeping mum about, the more obvious ones being ease of admin and zilch risk of hacking combined with the removal of sbus meaning that there's no risk from altcorp espionage anymore.

Numismancer
Sep 15, 2004

by sebmojo
"You gave up regions!!!" when we never intended to own F/D/Q/PB and the leaked diplo logs pre-TEST war showed that we wanted a deal for Q alone for R64s before the Viktor/Booda Raiden nonsense broke out is clutching at the weakest of straws.

I do like how I can just point to the api feed of timers, state openly that the people singing pugnax's tune are both wrong and sad, and have the galaxy at last forced to admit the reality we all live in today. It's a gratifying side-perk of Fozziesov.

Edit: Of course this could all be hubris and ego and the doom of our people is at hand and we're totally wrong about all of this. Gotta always keep an eye on the worst case scenario and avoid your own kool-aid, even when swatting away obvious bullshit like the above cringeworthy rationalizations of our foes.

Numismancer fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jul 19, 2015

Numismancer
Sep 15, 2004

by sebmojo
Provi plans are coming together nicely, spent today carving up the sov map in a way that would make a 19th century colonialist proud. This is going to be a weird war - the timelines are short due to Fozziesov mechanics, it's extremely distributed instead of top-down managed, and no one - not us, not Provi, and not the rest of the game - really has a clue how it'll go down.

That said, if this crazy ~chevauchee~ strat works, I'm looking forward to wars lasting 3 days instead of months. Lot more opportunity to ravage the galaxy and spread 'content'.

Numismancer
Sep 15, 2004

by sebmojo

darth cookie posted:

You have mandated that all sov must be taken using trollceptors right? It's the only way CCP will learn.

We're looking to come up with the most obnoxiously cancerous and overpowered doctrine possible for GSF's target constellations - each Imperium alliance is going to do their own thing, so we'll be able to advance our ~best practices~ a lot faster. Flanders is hard at work poking at various cloaking things with sticks, the idea of a bloc war where literally everything cloaks makes me giggle. We've been seriously discussing stuff with T3Ds, or 'hey, all rapiers and falcons lol', pretty much anything toxic and sadistic is on the table. Cloaking crap is nice because hey, Blops bridges.

These are designed to win the war - ie, achieve the objective - while letting goons zoom around like maniacs outside of timer fights ganking and having fun. They're not designed for a Dominion-style large fleet engagement, so it's going to take some adjustment for everyone.

Numismancer
Sep 15, 2004

by sebmojo
Now that people have had a few days to pointlessly rage about skillpoints, realize two things:

1. mentor program for alliances not full of 100m sp chars can now include skillpoint handouts for newbies (if they have the funding and organization) (wonder if we know anyone like that)
2. crush your enemies, drive them to sell their mains, buy their mains, lobotomize them into skillgoo on livestream and then give all their skillgoo to your newbies (and YOU get some of DB Preacher, and you, and /you/...)

It's the final revenge of World of Darkness: the diablerie expansion to Eve Online~

Numismancer
Sep 15, 2004

by sebmojo
Yeah, the high cost is a reflection of Jeff Edwards having a day job, so to get him to work full time for a year it pretty much goes to him going part time + taking off work to write + marketing. Most book-related Kickstarters are dirt cheap, but then most projects like this don't have a dude with this much heft behind them.

Numismancer
Sep 15, 2004

by sebmojo
Also what should the price point be for a paperback with just that alone, no serialization? We can bolt that reward on easily.

Numismancer
Sep 15, 2004

by sebmojo
25 for paperback with ebook final version, shipping is brutal on KS (we took the rates from the battletech KS which are standard, 10 anywhere in US and 30 worldwide), sound good?

Numismancer
Sep 15, 2004

by sebmojo
We could do as 15 for paperback only with no e-book, you guys want paperback + ebook or Just Paperback, Period?

Also what else would you guys like to see in the lower-end rewards, we're a bit sparse there. Adding rewards is p. easy so just throw them at me.

Numismancer fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Nov 3, 2015

Numismancer
Sep 15, 2004

by sebmojo
Well, we broke 10k in about three hours with no press coverage so this is apparently now a Thing (tm). vOv

Numismancer
Sep 15, 2004

by sebmojo
Alrighty, hardcover only with no frills for $50. Done and done~

Numismancer
Sep 15, 2004

by sebmojo
With both Oveur and Unifex publically blessing this project, that's the lock on oldschool cred.

Numismancer
Sep 15, 2004

by sebmojo
The Failheap thread makes a lot of the 'what the gently caress' of the last 24 hours worth it, we just got rid of the last of the silly backer rewards from the page.

Numismancer
Sep 15, 2004

by sebmojo
I guess they went from 'primal scream on reddit' to 'wait upvotes don't actually win wars' in record time. Credit to PH, they're a hell of a lot faster than Old TEST on the uptake. The vuln timer swap was clever as gently caress, A+. The puppetmasta fanfic 'we totally rused you into making us do this rushed and sloppy evac which we so so planned weeks in advance' is a little overdone by now.

Numismancer
Sep 15, 2004

by sebmojo

Dalael posted:

Hey, if giving up an entire region without providing any form of content for their players base is a victory in their books, let them be smug over it.

We have bigger fish to fry anyway, CR is at most a 6-day affair even if they fought - as stated, the real goal is the lowsec income our enemies have been sheltering.

Numismancer
Sep 15, 2004

by sebmojo

Voyager I posted:

Timer hijinks into an Evac is unambiguously the correct response to an Imperium invasion tbh.

It's the most +ev option all around.

Numismancer
Sep 15, 2004

by sebmojo
Had an idea even better than the BoB disband last night while at the Koi with Sion. Haven't had one like this in years. I'd apologize to the rest of the galaxy but :condi:

Numismancer
Sep 15, 2004

by sebmojo

mpaarating posted:

Sion is barely a person, I'm glad you can make use of him.

Your opinions are cute.

Numismancer
Sep 15, 2004

by sebmojo
FYI we rebranded as Imperium because I coined the name CFC and hated it - just like how I felt SOLODRAKBANSOLODRAKBANSO [LODRA] was funny at first, then grew tiresome as a gimmick and I ended that, too. We did it in April because the game was shifting towards hegemonic empires like what we are in practice. This is not the first rebrand, nor will it be the last - we control our name and our identity, despite our foes and window-lickers wishing they had a vote in the matter. The book deal poo poo only began about a month before Vegas, ie September, long after the rebrand.

Some find this offensive. If you were attached to the CFC or to LODRA then vOv soz m8, feel free to howl whatever conspiracy theory fits your confirmation bias. CFC was a great name to marshal a ragtag band of ex-NC allies who many of us didn't like in that era to defend our collective asses against an invading bloc, then as we stripped it down into a machine of conquest, organization and a gradually unifying overculture, the name stopped fitting. Names have power - another reality which some can't accept or would rather handwave.

We like conquest and empires, always have - when we haven't had conquest and space-empires, only 30 people turn up in fleets. Like in many situations, what people claim they want (wargames, gudfites, small gang content, whatever pubbie concept of true gooniness is waved around this week, etc) and what they actually turn up for (war, conquest, empire-building, grand narratives) are two different things. In general the people who most hate the Imperium rebrand are our enemies and some true-flamers, which is why it'd been widely adopted, successful and growing.

ok that's my effortpost for the week

Numismancer
Sep 15, 2004

by sebmojo

grumplestiltzkin posted:

I was more talking about the people in here who think it's a dumb name. Well, I guess I shouldn't speak for anyone else, so really just me. I think it's a stupid name. It's lazy and uncreative and generally boring.

Whoa hey I was wrong it does a perfect job of encapsulating the current iteration of goons in space. How could I ever have doubted:negative:

It's a great name attached to a fantastically effective symbol - the symbol itself is so strong the name almost recedes entirely. These are the kind of things which only get realized when one gets past the 1000-human social unit scale so it probably sounds ludicrous, but organizing and motivating 20k+ humans is a pretty weird thing to get one's head around in practice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Numismancer
Sep 15, 2004

by sebmojo

ChickenWing posted:

The switch from "CFC" to "Imperium" always felt like a bit of a pubbie rubicon to me. I've always found the fun bit of the narrative of this game to be that 'goons are bad at eve online', and fully embracing that in everything that we do, including making sure to appear as "not tryhard" as hell (as much as I like CONDI, I really wish our ticker was still OHGOD). At this point, the corp-level cultural identity of waffe has sunk so far into the melting pot of the Imperium that when the culture of the coalition as a whole changes, it tends to drag us kicking and screaming with it, by virtue of us being practically drowned out by everyone else.

Who said the Imperium is any good at Eve Online? We're still horrible, we still lose titans at the start of any campaign, and we'll never be elite PvP. People project their fears on the symbol, and that's your fear - that we'll shift to become something we're not.

Since the dawn of Goonfleet, we have always had a few organizers who bust rear end and impose structure - ie, do a shitload of work - so the line can run around screaming with no red pens and no responsibility. That's why these 'muh culture' arguments are such eye-rollers, especially considering that we ourselves are the ones setting the names, the cultural markers, and the third rails, not anyone else.

• Locked thread