Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam

Code Jockey posted:

tell me how it was before computers, grandpa~

I used my first computer back in 8th grade. My dad and I built it from a kit. We had to enter the programs in by hand for the first few months, because we didn't have any storage. Then we got a tape drive.

In 9th grade, I got to use a teletype unit with a suitcase-sized modem to connect to the MIT mainframe, and then I got onto something called the ARPANET. I could download and print ASCII pictures of nekkid ladies.

Before that, we had to carve nekkid ladies out of stone. The Venus of Willendorf was a particularly popular model.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
he took his wife's photo to the fast food place every day to show her that, being dead, she is the lucky one.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Moridin920 posted:

I hope cyborgs are a thing before I get old.
Cyborgs are the reason you aren't going to get old

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Strudel Man posted:

Cyborgs are the reason you aren't going to get old

aug me up

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

Total Clam

No, you misunderstand. They are going to kill you and use you for spare parts. That's why you are never going to get old.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

genesplicer posted:

No, you misunderstand. They are going to kill you and use you for spare parts. That's why you are never going to get old.
Yeah this is what I was going for.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."

genesplicer posted:

I used my first computer back in 8th grade. My dad and I built it from a kit. We had to enter the programs in by hand for the first few months, because we didn't have any storage. Then we got a tape drive.

In 9th grade, I got to use a teletype unit with a suitcase-sized modem to connect to the MIT mainframe, and then I got onto something called the ARPANET. I could download and print ASCII pictures of nekkid ladies.

Before that, we had to carve nekkid ladies out of stone. The Venus of Willendorf was a particularly popular model.

Is it true that the first message on ARPANET was "I am a homosexual"

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

Total Clam

Police Automaton posted:

Is it true that the first message on ARPANET was "I am a homosexual"

No, but it was close. Due to the huge rivalry between MIT and Cal Tech, there were thousands of messages from one to the other accusing the students of each of having homosexual tendencies, and acting upon the urges, at least in experimental and exploratory manners.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."

genesplicer posted:

No, but it was close. Due to the huge rivalry between MIT and Cal Tech, there were thousands of messages from one to the other accusing the students of each of having homosexual tendencies, and acting upon the urges, at least in experimental and exploratory manners.

I'm sure they were all just bachelors, enjoying the single life

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Beef Turret posted:

I hope I die before I get old

That can be arranged

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

jarofpiss posted:

The fries are just terrible..

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
This thread is loving killing me. Voted 5, keep those jokes coming.

I'm so very drunk

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Cuckoo posted:

You guys have no souls

That story brought a tear to my eye

I agree with this completely, but...

Code Jockey posted:

"Can you believe this poo poo, Agnes?" *mashes fry into photo frame*

... this is loving hilarious.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I wish in n out would expand. The rest of the world is ready to gently caress the poo poo out of their burgers.

Blackdog420
Sep 10, 2009

born to roam

Hobohemian posted:

That's pretty elaborate to hire this dude to go sit at a restaurant with different pictures of the same woman so the poster could get a photo, and then make up a story.

jet fuel can't melt steel beams you loving idiot

-Misfit-
Apr 20, 2005

I come in the name of Jesus Christ by the power of the holy spirit Bitch!

Blackdog420 posted:

jet fuel can't melt steel beams you loving idiot

it was an in n out-side job

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I remember reading an article that some old dude had saved his dead wifes voice mail on his phone for years. Then Verizion did some software update on their end and it erased this dude's only recording of his wifes voice. So Verizion got a team of like 20 hackers to get it back

DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

do we really know that is his wife?

maybe he is just doing the sloooooow stalk

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT

Volume posted:

I remember reading an article that some old dude had saved his dead wifes voice mail on his phone for years. Then Verizion did some software update on their end and it erased this dude's only recording of his wifes voice. So Verizion got a team of like 20 hackers to get it back

what a great company to care about their customers like that

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
i saw this old people couple at the arby's and the husband said to the wife 'have i told you lately that i love you?' she smiled and said 'no'. he said 'good'.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

Beef Turret posted:

I hope I die before I get old

Yeah. I think we all hope you die before you get old.

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

he'll never pay for another meal there

PromethiumX
Mar 5, 2003
Thank you OP for posting a genuinely nice story in GBS.

Anorexic Robot
Nov 11, 2012
These stories are dumb, life is poo poo and nothing good will ever happen to you get that through your thick skull and stop dreaming that your gonna one day be a chain email and people will like you cause you eat fries with your dead wife's picture like some weird serial killer weirdo why can't people just be happy being normal

Anorexic Robot
Nov 11, 2012
TAKE THAT FRIENDS AND FAMILY ON FACEBOOK!!

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I think I will get in n out for dinner. Thanks OP.

porkchop_express
May 27, 2004
i am a necromancer and i will animate her skeleton. she will eat his flesh.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:
i havent changed my mind since the last time this was posted. you see this poo poo you just avoid eye contact and get the gently caress out before old crazy man tries to rope you in for his sob story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:
who posted this loving thread? is my grandma a goon now? stop sending me these email forwards grandma i'm putting you in a home

• Locked thread