Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
In August I'll try to put together a real preview for this game, I just haven't had the time lately with all the work and contracts and stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

I think I've finished all of Act 1's music, which was no small feat (especially since it's now in PMD). I'll be trying to put some more stuff together soon so I can get back to showing off!

Additionally, I've reworked my patreon campaign.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

So is much of the music gonna be in the style you used in Nightmare Castle? I really really really liked the music from that one before you abandoned it, so I'm hoping you might have some of that, since the music you've released so far is a bit in another direction, other than "The Accountant", which has that sorta vibe to it.

(That's right I'm the one person who played Nightmare Castle)

(My favorite song was ANC12_88.ogg)

Gloomy Rube fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Aug 3, 2015

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

It's similar to Nightmare Castle in that it's FM chiptunes and faithful to the hardware, but the music in Nightmare Castle was made for the Sound Orchestra/SB16 board and Hell Diary is for YM2203, which is what I originally wanted to do for NC but didn't have the knowledge to do.

A lot of the compositions are more like an expansion of the more jazz-styled stuff from NC, but that's not to say I won't be doing new versions of NC music on the hardware I originally intended! :cheers:

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Noyemi K posted:

It's similar to Nightmare Castle in that it's FM chiptunes and faithful to the hardware, but the music in Nightmare Castle was made for the Sound Orchestra/SB16 board and Hell Diary is for YM2203, which is what I originally wanted to do for NC but didn't have the knowledge to do.

A lot of the compositions are more like an expansion of the more jazz-styled stuff from NC, but that's not to say I won't be doing new versions of NC music on the hardware I originally intended! :cheers:

This honestly makes me really excited for this game, because I absolutely loved the style of the music in that game, and honestly the whole game had this feeling I haven't seen in any other game, even your other game that I can't spell.

Once I get my student aid, I'll probably give some money through patreon.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

A few people offsite brought up the possibility of injecting some horror elements in, which I would also be doing in the style Nightmare Castle if I decided to make it a part of the game. I think a lot of the more chilling things in that title were very subtle rearrangements of fine detail that occurred randomly (such as Masha appearing in otherwise empty rooms under certain conditions and not providing any context for her appearance) to make some areas and situations just seem very slightly off, rather than blatant scares.

The downside is that it relies on the player's attention to detail and familiarity with the location rather than just getting a cheap startle in, but I've always more enjoyed a slow-burn sort of unsettling feeling than getting jumped, and it works more than once with the same trick.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

I did a few more optimizations and some resource replacements (replaced the opening sting with one that instead is done from the BGM channel; the loop macro is read properly by the game!)

Currently the game could fit comfortably on nine 3.5 inch floppies, which is a little larger than some bigger PC88/PC98 RPGs released from 1989~1992, the bulk of that size being taken up by the mandatory font file (VLgothic). Removing what appears to be a duplicate allows the game to fit on six disks instead, which is about the size of Popful Mail. The compressed game fits on 4!

I'm trying to keep the final size of the game under 10, even though it's totally unnecessary and it's already two orders of magnitude smaller than normal RPG Maker games and three or four orders of magnitude smaller than average games.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Noyemi K posted:

I did a few more optimizations and some resource replacements (replaced the opening sting with one that instead is done from the BGM channel; the loop macro is read properly by the game!)

Currently the game could fit comfortably on nine 3.5 inch floppies, which is a little larger than some bigger PC88/PC98 RPGs released from 1989~1992, the bulk of that size being taken up by the mandatory font file (VLgothic). Removing what appears to be a duplicate allows the game to fit on six disks instead, which is about the size of Popful Mail. The compressed game fits on 4!

I'm trying to keep the final size of the game under 10, even though it's totally unnecessary and it's already two orders of magnitude smaller than normal RPG Maker games and three or four orders of magnitude smaller than average games.

Doing proper optimization is something that's really lost on developers these days, particularly game developers.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

I really like it when these sort of games go the extra mile to actually be technically possible on the hardware they're calling back to, so this is all super interesting to me.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

Stretch Goal: Hell Diary released on floppy disks as a special edition with artbook, hahaha! :haw:

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

On the physical floppy release you should also add ancient copy protection.

"Use the magical red plastic lens to read the codes on this card!" like the olden days :haw:

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

If only. :(

Anyway, update! Throughout this game, the player will explore and play in three different cities. The first of those, which you'll see pretty much only in Act 1, is Delmun City. Each town has a map like this WIP map of Delmun which shows the playable area and areas of interest:

Purple are areas of interest, yellow are entrances, red are structures, speckled green are parks or other manmade greenery, and white is the railroad. The airbase and most of the east end is inaccessible to the player for reasons of keeping the game concise, at least for the introductory act. Besides, what business does Kekoha have anywhere besides the Delmun Convention hall where the Consumer Micro-Computing Summit is being held?

What defines an area of interest?
Well, areas of interest are either attractions, events, plot-related locations, or other general areas of note that are there as clues to help the player decide what to do next. They don't come unmarked when explored or triggered, but there's only so many of them anyway and context can be used to help you make a decision. For example, across the bridge there's a purple building near the waterfront. This is a structure which contains a famous vista that the player can visit and you may trigger some sort of event here under certain circumstances.

Noyemi K fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Aug 6, 2015

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

Today I put together a better basic intro to the game than the GIF images probably were.

It features a small lead in and the new PMD-powered music and effects, which sound a lot different from the old previews. That "Next Act!" sting is my child :kiddo:

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

The first music disk is out for the public.

I'll be tweeting some free download codes for it throughout the week at random intervals.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Noyemi K posted:

The first music disk is out for the public.

I'll be tweeting some free download codes for it throughout the week at random intervals.

Sent you $5 for it.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

This album's actually selling a little, thanks segfault and co. :cheers:

Noyemi K fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Aug 12, 2015

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
Looks like trash OP. But let me ask youi, s it free?

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

It's a love letter to NBC

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

The map didn't need much else, but now there's a clear delineation of downtown where you can't go. It is the cut!

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

In case you didn't believe me earlier...

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I am groovin' to that song.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

I added a new download link to Amihailu in Dreamland, since I decided I'd at least keep it up for play before the move. To clarify, that game's not getting any updates or anything, but some people were very disappointed when I took it down.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

The developer diary is restricted to my patreon backers (for now) but I have gotten a chance to work more on the game lately and I'm actually making some progress with getting the game's maps done. I expect to have a playable demo within a month at this rate, but you know how game development goes with lone developers (:downs:)

As for the YM2608/YMF288 version of the OST that's a patreon goal, expect work like this or this, with some abuse of the stereo capabilities of the PC-8801 Soundboard II :unsmigghh:

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

if undertale taught me anything it's that lone developers are the best developers :downs:

I'm still super looking forward to this game, so thanks for giving us updates on the progress.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

I'm also teaming up with a talented vocalist to maybe do some vocal jazz arrangements of the game's songs. He's a great singer, loves the project, and he's been my friend for a good 10 years or so (yeah... middle school).

I hope I can keep the good news on a roll and cap the week off with some screenshots, but there's still a lot of work to do. Thankfully though pretty much all of the actual hard programming is 100% done for now.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

Today I uploaded a sample of the possible OPNA version of the soundtrack.

Currently the plans are OPN-only, but if I can maintain a certain level of funding I'll have the free time to work on OPNA versions of the soundtrack too :shobon:

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

A few days ago I uploaded the in-game version of this track. Work has not really progressed much at all, at least in exciting ways. I have an actual roadmap for the game and reduced the scope a little, but personal issues have basically sapped my will to create much in my spare time.

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

Sssh! Be vewy vewy quiet. It's wabbit season.

Noyemi K posted:

A few days ago I uploaded the in-game version of this track. Work has not really progressed much at all, at least in exciting ways. I have an actual roadmap for the game and reduced the scope a little, but personal issues have basically sapped my will to create much in my spare time.

Yeah, that statement sounds familiar. The music is really fun to get, though; it's good and even though it isn't actually the Adlib sound set it reminds me enough of it to stir nostalgia for dumb old DOS days. :)

Hope things improve!

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

I've gotten an injection of creative juice in the form of putting on my Yuzo Koshiro hat a little bit, check it out. As much as I want to show off new screenshots, I'm at a point where anything I show that's new will change dramatically by the time it's done. Sorry about that :(

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

Today I expanded the number of Military Police sprites in the game and added lots of new NPC sprites to populate the game's world:

Meet the Royal Military Police Corps! They are happy to see you, but they do not trust you.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

I'll be handing off a test copy to make sure it works on other peoples' computers either this week or the next. It won't be public, but if the reports come back green I'll probably have the Act I/demo out around Christmas.

That sure was fast, wasn't it?

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Very cool! I always come back to the thread whenever you post something, so this is very good news.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

Music Disk II is out now and I've given up all pretense of separating these releases based on the game acts, because this game is going to have even more music than NPCs at this point.

And in a game with oversized Pokemon towns, that's a lot:

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

New preview track video is up. This is still YM2203, it's just a lot more 70s.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

Hey folks, haven't had much luck scraping the kind of free time together I'd need to work on the project this month. 25 December 2011 was the date of the very first release of Hell Diary (back when it was a completely different game) and I wanted to do something special to commemorate it, but the reality is that I need to work hard to afford the time to do all the vast swathes of updates this game will need before the demo release. A solid week or two of work would be enough.

I still can't give an ETA on the demo but I do appreciate the patience of those who are still with me.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

I rectified a mistake on the Music Disk II and "The Programmer" is now a much better song. I should have some time to work on the game in February and get some screencaps up.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

I've fixed the movement routing bug that would make characters continue to move even if you were talking/interacting with them. I still need to fix the map to reflect the town layout and we'll be in business!

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Just letting you know that I'm keeping an eye on the thread and you're not shouting into a careless void. Can't wait for the next project update!

the Gaffe
Jul 4, 2011

you gotta believe dawg
Same. I found this thread when I was playing those Japanese horror games like Ib and The Witch's House, so it piqued my interest when I saw it. Hope you find the time to work on this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
Yep, follow you on twitter and follow you here. Just waiting for it to drop and enjoy seeing the project :)

• Locked thread