Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr.Smiley4
Jul 4, 2007
Send him to Detroit!
Started watching Season 1 of Simpsons. The last time I watched the show was at least 10 years ago on reruns, and I haven't seen any new episodes since. While the production value is pretty low and the episodes aren't as funny as later ones, they're still entertaining and at least have some kind of heart to them instead being the husk of a show it seems to be today (Really, the only way the Simpsons ever seems to be relevant these days is by doing some lame crossover or by doing an extended unfunny pop culture reference).

The part I think is most interesting about the early shows is how religious the Simpson family is. They go to church each week, they pray to god when they're down on their luck, they talk about angels and living according to the bible, they show the kids in Sunday school, etc. I can't think of a show today that portrays a "normal" American family as white or as Christian as the Simpsons besides the show itself, and they only get away with it because they've been around so long. Makes you think about how society has changed in 25 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
g. f. yourself

Mr.Smiley4
Jul 4, 2007
Send him to Detroit!
Also, Bart skateboards everywhere. Who the gently caress skateboards anymore?

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Lisa needs braces

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
dont have a cow man

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."

Nooner posted:

Lisa needs braces

dental plan

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

:staredog::meowth::pipe:

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Old Simpsons is practically dadcartoons now.

ballistics statistics
Nov 27, 2003

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

The first 6 or so seasons of the Simpsons were great.

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015
WHO LET HER JUGS OUT?

(D'oh, D'oh D'oh D'oh)

MARGE LET HER JUGS OUT!

(D'oh, D'oh D'oh D'oh)

Cruel Rose
May 27, 2010

saaave gotham~
come on~
DO IT, BATMAN
FUCKING BATMAN I FUCKING HATE YOU
bart's goldfish gets an f

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
die bart, die

Mahuum Aqoha
Jan 15, 2004

SHEPARD!
Do it for the universe!
Fun Shoe
The pre-season 3 episodes are weird because Homer is all sad and sounds like his voice is being played back through a tape recorder at 85% speed.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

b'oh.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Seasons 4-7 are nearly bulletproof and large swaths of Season 2-3 and Seasons 8-9 are above average with a few classics sprinkled in. Everything else is p. "meh" aside from Season 1 which gets a pass for historical value.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
they've been showing them in order on the fox affiliate here and I've actually managed to survive to season 17 but now it's just totally, totally unwatchable

OH MAN HOW WACKY IT TURNS OUT HOMER HAS A NICE SINGING VOICE WHEN HE LAYS DOWN

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Mr.Smiley4 posted:

Also, Bart skateboards everywhere. Who the gently caress skateboards anymore?

Tony hawk

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
seth mcfarlane should have died on 911

ballistics statistics
Nov 27, 2003

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Code Jockey posted:

they've been showing them in order on the fox affiliate here and I've actually managed to survive to season 17 but now it's just totally, totally unwatchable

OH MAN HOW WACKY IT TURNS OUT HOMER HAS A NICE SINGING VOICE WHEN HE LAYS DOWN

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homer%27s_Barbershop_Quartet

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

False dichotomy. Homer's Babershop Quartet is an entire episode structured around riffing on the Beatles. Homer having a great singing voice when he lays down is "poo poo we really don't have any good plot ideas right now."

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

I hate every ape I see, from chimpan-A to chimpan-Z

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

remember when homer was kurt cobain? very timely.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Chinatown posted:

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

mind the walrus posted:

False dichotomy. Homer's Babershop Quartet is an entire episode structured around riffing on the Beatles. Homer having a great singing voice when he lays down is "poo poo we really don't have any good plot ideas right now."

yeah the barbershop one was at least somewhat amusing, even if yeah it begins to veer into "weekly wacky hijinks with everyone's favorite town" mode

Jerry Mumphrey posted:

I hate every ape I see, from chimpan-A to chimpan-Z

the best musical segment the show has ever done, rip phil heart man

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Chinatown posted:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Code Jockey posted:

yeah the barbershop one was at least somewhat amusing, even if yeah it begins to veer into "weekly wacky hijinks with everyone's favorite town" mode

To be fair they were doing that poo poo as early as the Season 3 opener with Michael Jackson. The problem was that the writers were clearly burnt the gently caress out by Season 8-9 and started to get lazier and lazier about how they executed every idea they came up with.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Chinatown posted:

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
Seasons 2-6 are great TV and it's a lot more fun to see Homer as a working class schlub who means well but fucks up a lot. Now he's just some scammer who gets in a wacky situation every week.

Also the scene with Krusty's accountant scolding him for betting against the Harlem Globetrotters because he "thought the Generals were due for a win" is worth watching the series for.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you
I had a sudden urge to hear Homer's rant at Bart after Bart steals a copy of Bonestorm the other day and it was exactly as hysterical as I remember it being

"Why do you think I brought you to all those Police Academy movies?! For FUN? I didn't hear anyone laughing!"

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Hadaka Apron posted:

WHO LET HER JUGS OUT?

(D'oh, D'oh D'oh D'oh)

MARGE LET HER JUGS OUT!

(D'oh, D'oh D'oh D'oh)

look at those bozangas!

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

Seasons 2-6 are great TV and it's a lot more fun to see Homer as a working class schlub who means well but fucks up a lot. Now he's just some scammer who gets in a wacky situation every week.

Again the episode where Homer becomes a motherfucking Astronaut is smack-dab in the middle of the Golden Age of the show. The problem was never the concepts it's that the writers changed and started to suck.

quote:

Also the scene with Krusty's accountant scolding him for betting against the Harlem Globetrotters because he "thought the Generals were due for a win" is worth watching the series for.

Isn't that the same episode where he lights a cigar with a flaming copy of Action Comics #1? God I love that scene.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

ghost host
Apr 17, 2010

ain't got no cash
ain't go no style

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

boo urns

that's a paddlin

ghost host
Apr 17, 2010

ain't got no cash
ain't go no style

Works on contigency? No, money down!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

mind the walrus posted:

Again the episode where Homer becomes a motherfucking Astronaut is smack-dab in the middle of the Golden Age of the show. The problem was never the concepts it's that the writers changed and started to suck.

But the basis of that episode is that he's hired because he's a working class schlub.

• Locked thread