Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoctorKill
Jul 23, 2013

W H A T H A V E
Y O U D O N E
T O M Y
B E A U T I F U L
M O O N

Hello, my name is Doctor Kill (no relation to Dr Phil), and I'm going to play Ocarina of Time super wrong.

What is Ocarina of Time
Ocarina of Time is a recently released retro indie platformer created in Unity examining the concept of memetic identity and self, that uses quantum retroactive development techniques to make it appear as an action adventure game from 17 years ago.

Holy poo poo ANOTHER Ocarina of Time LP
Yeah I hear you, there have been lots of Let's Plays of Ocarina of Time, probably. But how many have been played by someone without slow, decrepit mummy hands? Also lots, probably, and I'm doing another one. Somewhat inspired by the currently running LP, Ocarina of Time blind, my plan is to come from the other direction, playing Ocarina of Time knowing lots about it.

I come from the speedrunning community so I'll be showing off how speedrunners see this game - but more than that I want to show off how broken the mechanics of this game are, and how that ends up making it incredibly flexible. I will be doing most of the main portions of the game in ways definitely not intended by the developers (obviously) but also in ways speedrunners wouldn't ever play it, since some of the tricks I'll be doing are too obscure or slow to be useful for them.

The general theme I'm going for is, 'If you are supposed to get it as adult, get it as child. If you are supposed to get it as child, get it as adult.' There will be a few exceptions to this, depending on whether or not it prevents other things or if I think something is too tedious, but I'll try to keep to it. As some quick examples, some of the first items I get are the hookshot and the light arrows, as child. The first temple I beat is the Forest Temple, also as child.

Anything Else?
Given the focus on glitches, this LP might be more interesting to people who have some level of familiarity with the game, but I don't know how to define that threshold. Knowing the general progression is probably the most helpful, when you get items and finish dungeons, but maybe people who don't remember anything might also like it. I don't know.

I will focus on those 'general progression' portions of the game, inventory items and dungeons. I won't be collecting most of the skulltulas or heart pieces, given that I'm scared of gilded spiders and I'm not teen enough for broken hearts. If someone is interested in particular ones I can make an exception I suppose. But overall this should be a short LP, at least compared most LPs.

I also plan on making some bonus videos to show off other glitches, or if someone wants to see something done that I'm not going to do in the LP. If you want anything that I do in my videos to be expanded upon, feel free to ask. If there's just a general question you have about OoT, or even Majora's Mask, go for it, I should be able to answer it.

MAIN VIDEOS:

Playlist

Stole some stuff from holes in Kak (live commentary)
Fought and killed a forest ghost (live commentary)
Dino death and songs to get (feat. ChaosArgate)
Desert sands, colossus hands (feat. ChaosArgate)
Footwear finds for flower fights (feat. Crosspiece)
Wrong warps, song ports, rear end hoards, wow! (feat. Suspicious Dish)
Fighting Links, eukaryotes (feat. Faerie Fortune)
Fire Temple walk with me (feat. Leavemywife)
Bow, big fish, Biggoron Sword (feat. corn in the bible)
Spirit mirrors' clear career (feat. Fredrik1)
Link has won, his quest is done (feat. Artix)

BONUS VIDEOS:

Playlist

Dodongo's Cavern: A Retrospective (BONUS BONUS)
Hyrule Travel Agency
Random Bottle Access
Mighty Morpha's Water Dangers
Spin to Twinrova
Misc. and Risk

DoctorKill fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jul 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorKill
Jul 23, 2013

W H A T H A V E
Y O U D O N E
T O M Y
B E A U T I F U L
M O O N
EXTRA GOODIES

Here's some stuff other people did:

Fredrik1

Fish Police

Fredrik and Paul.Power do and talk about Ganonless Part 1
Part 2

Suspicious Dish

Made a really cool model viewer and texture decoder

Wants you to take a quiz about SM64 modding

bio347

Caught an important screenshot

Darth Numbers

Showed off some glitches in Majora's Mask

DoctorKill fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jul 3, 2015

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I can try to help you with audio editing, it's not too bad once you know what you need to do. How would you prefer communicating?

DoctorKill
Jul 23, 2013

W H A T H A V E
Y O U D O N E
T O M Y
B E A U T I F U L
M O O N
Skype I suppose. Is it a faux pas to put my skype username here?

Here's my skype name, which I'll leave so I can contact other people for commentating:
doctor-kill

DoctorKill fucked around with this message at 01:26 on May 8, 2015

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
I'd be up and/or down for this as well. Skype's OrnatePlateSA.

As for audio editing, Audacity isn't too hard to use. Just import your game music, slide the volume down to -16dB or so, then record your commentary over it. After that, you can do some extra things to it to help it "pop" out a bit more -- I usually ran a Levelizer, Normalizer, and Compressor over it, all at default settings.

That said, these days, I use Adobe Audition since I like its workflow better.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
This is a cool idea and a cool thread. I'm down for doing commentary if you want me as well. Skype is Artix74.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
That was very interesting. I love Let's Breaks.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Loving this. My brain is kinda broken after that first vid.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib
I'm a fan, this game is broken in the best way possible.

I could be up for commenting, I've done some really awful any% and ganonless (1.0) speedruns but never really got into the speedrunning community much, skype is Irregular programming.

Fredrik1 fucked around with this message at 11:48 on May 8, 2015

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
I've seen some of the Ocarina of Time crazy speedruns or glitchfests, but never anything particularly inclusive. I'm looking forward to see what you can show, because this is a fun game and I'm at least vaguely aware that there's some strange things to do that a casual player like me isn't as familiar with.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
I'm all about this.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
You're pausing and hemming and hawwing a bit in your commentary, but given that you're doing live commentary over excessively complicated glitch-setups, I can totally forgive that.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Oh baby, I'm all about breaking poo poo, Skype is Crosspeice Channel

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 14:32 on May 8, 2015

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The concept reminds me of SwordlessLink's "with glitches" play-throughs.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I'd be up for a co-commentary, too. As someone who is clueless about the glitching, I could be good to ask questions to smooth the process out.

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

Super cool idea, will be watching eagerly.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Now that we've established which ways of moving are fastest, can we not use any ones that involve repetitive annoying noises?

Odysseus S. Grant
Oct 12, 2011

Cats is the oldest and strongest emotion
of mankind

Speleothing posted:

Now that we've established which ways of moving are fastest, can we not use any ones that involve repetitive annoying noises?

Lookit this casual scrub

DoctorKill
Jul 23, 2013

W H A T H A V E
Y O U D O N E
T O M Y
B E A U T I F U L
M O O N
Cool, lots of people interested in commentary. I'll contact the people interested at some point, once I figure out more how all the episodes will line out. Thanks everyone.

Instant Grat posted:

You're pausing and hemming and hawwing a bit in your commentary, but given that you're doing live commentary over excessively complicated glitch-setups, I can totally forgive that.

The pausing is me trying to not mumble or say "uh" too much, I know it came out a bit weird. It should be less of a problem from now on since I'll be doing post commentary. However I will be doing some excessively long glitch setups later! Long in that I have to walk around a whole lot, I'll probably speed through the slow parts.

Speleothing posted:

I guess since I've played it so much the noises never struck me as bothersome, sorry about that. I assume you mean the rolls and sidehopping? I'm too used to using them that I don't think I would be able to just stop them honestly, I would have to walk everywhere and that's just so slow! This game just has a lot of noises, maybe I can lower the game volume a bit more?

Sillyman
Jul 21, 2008

Speleothing posted:

There is no such thing. Even walking forwards produces footstep sounds. :colbert:

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Clearly you should hess everywhere. :colbert:

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

Speleothing posted:

placid saviour
Apr 6, 2009
I've played this game, casually, like anyone else born in the 80, so when you bought the red potion and it turned into the slings:psyboom:

placid saviour fucked around with this message at 22:28 on May 8, 2015

HomestarCanter
Oct 21, 2008

Strong Bad,
you're a horse's twees.
You should try to get Faerie Fortune to co-commentate on one of your videos.

I'd like to request you do a commentary on the two Tool-Assisted runs of the game, either blind or analytical, if you are able.

Darth Numbers
May 7, 2015
Excited for future updates of this! Reminds me of back in the day when I messed around with this sorta thing too. I had never thought of using Navi to trigger ISG though, that's pretty neat-- I always had to find a sign or something. Skype is darthnumbers, I'd be very interested in co commentary, if you're still looking.

Are you considering doing some bonus videos of Majoras Mask too? Cause there are some fun glitches, like duplicating the entire swamp on top of itself, and Fierce Diety Link shenanigans outside of boss battles, etc.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

HomestarCanter posted:

I'd like to request you do a commentary on the two Tool-Assisted runs of the game, either blind or analytical, if you are able.
a reminder that Faerie Fortune may not have beaten the game yet. If you bring her on, you should probably do so on a video where whatever glitch you are going to do won't spoil something she hasn't seen. :v:

DoctorKill
Jul 23, 2013

W H A T H A V E
Y O U D O N E
T O M Y
B E A U T I F U L
M O O N

placid saviour posted:

I've played this game, casually, like anyone else born in the 80, so when you bought the red potion and it turned into the slings:psyboom:

Yeah it's a really fun glitch! Like I said, recently found, back in February. I should note that it's just the red potion text box, I didn't really buy anything. Basically, the item it gives you, the text it displays, and the actual model it tries to show can all be different. There's actually a limited number of items you can get from it, sensibly and theoretically. You can't get hammer with it, which would be pretty great, although you can in the 3DS version.

Sidenote: the person who found this glitch got the world record for the speedrun like yesterday, in a route that requires the glitch. Cool little thing.

HomestarCanter posted:

Might be fun, that's up to her though. Sorry I don't think I'll do the TAS thing, I feel like there are better people for that? I dunno.

Darth Numbers posted:

Are you considering doing some bonus videos of Majoras Mask too? Cause there are some fun glitches, like duplicating the entire swamp on top of itself, and Fierce Diety Link shenanigans outside of boss battles, etc.

Probably not, but maybe? I got into MM first but I definitely know less about it, and there's been a lot of neat stuff found recently that I haven't kept up with. I wish I could do a similar run as this, but I couldn't really think of an equivalent rule.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Nihilarian posted:

a reminder that Faerie Fortune may not have beaten the game yet. If you bring her on, you should probably do so on a video where whatever glitch you are going to do won't spoil something she hasn't seen. :v:

We're (probably) recording Ganon's Tower tomorrow. :ssh:

DoctorKill posted:

Yeah it's a really fun glitch! Like I said, recently found, back in February. I should note that it's just the red potion text box, I didn't really buy anything. Basically, the item it gives you, the text it displays, and the actual model it tries to show can all be different. There's actually a limited number of items you can get from it, sensibly and theoretically. You can't get hammer with it, which would be pretty great, although you can in the 3DS version.

Sidenote: the person who found this glitch got the world record for the speedrun like yesterday, in a route that requires the glitch. Cool little thing.

Sounds cool, you mind throwing up a link to the run?

Darth Numbers
May 7, 2015

DoctorKill posted:

Might be fun, that's up to her though. Sorry I don't think I'll do the TAS thing, I feel like there are better people for that? I dunno.

Probably not, but maybe? I got into MM first but I definitely know less about it, and there's been a lot of neat stuff found recently that I haven't kept up with. I wish I could do a similar run as this, but I couldn't really think of an equivalent rule.

Hmm, fair point. Well there are definitely a bunch of hilarious glitches in MM, so you could end up doing it as like a bonus video?

Side note, are you going to be showing off the Ganondoor warp glitch? at some point? It's kinda against your rule because it would skip adult, but it's one of my favorite things ever to happen to the game.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Nihilarian posted:

There's really not much else left for her to be spoiled on, aside from the ending and the reward from the Gerudo's Training Grounds and after tomorrow, we should be about at the end, so it'd probably be fine for her to commentate. :v:

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Artix posted:

Sounds cool, you mind throwing up a link to the run?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaIH9iu3yac

17:47 is a pretty insane time, but as optimized (and grindy) as the run is getting, there's still room to shave off some seconds.

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

...It's the thought that counts, right?

DoctorKill posted:

CONCERNS FOR THE FUTURE
If anyone can find me a guide for simple audio editing, that would probably be super helpful, I've been told my voice audio could be better. The tech support thread has more resources for video editing, which helped me, but comparatively little for audio editing.

I would also like to know people's preference towards how I handle cutscenes and resets. I assume most people don't want to see full cutscenes, so what should I do about them? Speed through them? How fast? And I reset quite a bit, how much of that should I cut out? Maybe just the part about classic controllers? All the way up to the file select?
I don't have any advice on audio editing, and I don't know your history, but you don't sound very confident when you're speaking to us about what you're doing. There's lots of "ummmm"s and "uhhhh"s strewn about, and in some cases there's some dead-air, but you clearly know what you're doing, and why you're doing these things. If you continue to do live commentary, please work on this. That said, considering the difficulty of glitch-play in general, you may be better off doing a post-commentary of your videos so that you can better plan out what you're going to talk about in advance, but then you lose some of the magic during the moment-to-moment gameplay. That much is really down to your preference. You're doing something great here, though, so it would be a shame if the commentary is lacking.

In-game cutscenes I feel like you should leave in. Since none of it is voice-acted (and since the plot isn't really your selling point for this LP), it'll give you some time to catch-up and explain either something you just performed, or something you're going to perform shortly afterward. Furthermore, considering what you're doing (glitching the absolute hell out of the game), this can lead to unintentional hilarity as cutscenes may not behave as expected, as is the case with many other games. :)

I will say that when you do the save, reset, reload dance, you should probably cut out the entire process of reloading the file. If you're in the middle of commentary, well...I don't have an answer for that!

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I've seen countless speedruns and glitched playthroughs of Oot, but your first video showed off a bunch of stuff I've never seen before! I'm lovin' it so far.

If you're having trouble getting decent results using Audacity's filters on your comentary track, I personally found this video tutorial v.helpfull, although I don't follow it to the letter.

X_countryguy
Dec 31, 2007

Whatscha holdup, Tron? If you don't hurry up there's not gonna be any pizza left!
It's good to see this thread. I have watched a couple of Cosmo runs and watched some Swordless Link videos but I'm glad that this LP can take the time to actually explain some of these glitches. My Skype name is x_countryguy if you think I would be valuable as a commentator.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I like ocarina of time and i can bring the famous bible corn fanbase to your lp, so if you want to increase your views by that one guy then my skype is cbirdwatchers

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Great videos! If I can say one thing it's that speedrunners don't seem to notice the "one heart left" sound anymore :v:

I wonder who that Ganon guy was in the second video. He seemed to know you. Oh well, I'm sure it won't be important.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

placid saviour posted:

I have a pretty decent idea why that's happening, but it's still hilarious when that happens or he just gets the light arrows.

DoctorKill
Jul 23, 2013

W H A T H A V E
Y O U D O N E
T O M Y
B E A U T I F U L
M O O N

Darth Numbers posted:

Side note, are you going to be showing off the Ganondoor warp glitch? at some point? It's kinda against your rule because it would skip adult, but it's one of my favorite things ever to happen to the game.

I will, but not for what you'd think I'd use it for.

Seiren posted:

In-game cutscenes I feel like you should leave in. Since none of it is voice-acted (and since the plot isn't really your selling point for this LP), it'll give you some time to catch-up and explain either something you just performed, or something you're going to perform shortly afterward. Furthermore, considering what you're doing (glitching the absolute hell out of the game), this can lead to unintentional hilarity as cutscenes may not behave as expected, as is the case with many other games. :)

I think what I'm leaning towards is skipping most cutscenes unless I can think of something to mention about them, or if they are in fact silly, like you said. Most cutscenes don't have much going for them though, from a glitching perspective. I try to skip as much of them as possible through game mechanics anyway.

Prop Wash posted:

Great videos! If I can say one thing it's that speedrunners don't seem to notice the "one heart left" sound anymore :v:

I wonder who that Ganon guy was in the second video. He seemed to know you. Oh well, I'm sure it won't be important.

Yeah it's a sound I either don't notice at all or am incredibly agitated by. There are lots of sections that require me to be low health and I don't really notice it there, but in every other situation it really bugs me. I try not to run around with low health though so hopefully it's not too much of a pain.

100Dachshunds
Oct 11, 2009

GOCHARMSPRINGS
This is excellent. When I was little I played around with some of the most basic glitches on the N64-- climbing wall angles, swimming on land, the infinite sword, but never put them together into a plan to break the game fully. Its amazing what people have accomplished in this and SM64, and that there are still new tricks being discovered warms my heart. Can't wait for more!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Throw me in as a guy down for commentary; Skype stuff is in my profile and I may have already sent you something via Skype.

This concept is neat as hell and is great so far. Keep it up!

• Locked thread