Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

I want to see a movie based on those glitches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

SelenicMartian posted:

I want to see a movie based on those glitches.

you just did

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

A live action one.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Well there's always the animation at least

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
I always wonder if one of the animators had discovered the super slide while playing.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

DoctorKill posted:

In regards to Zelda escaping though, the Ocarina of Time is actually sitting in the moat right now, where it will lay forever, since there isn't a way to get it as adult. Sorry namesake, you're useless to me.

How? Does it not exist in the adult map? Won't it let you pick it up? Will the cutscene crash the game as an adult?

DoctorKill
Jul 23, 2013

W H A T H A V E
Y O U D O N E
T O M Y
B E A U T I F U L
M O O N

Carbon dioxide posted:

How? Does it not exist in the adult map? Won't it let you pick it up? Will the cutscene crash the game as an adult?

Doesn't exist in the adult map. It's useless anyway, the Ocarina of Time isn't functionally different from the Fairy Ocarina. Some people might have noticed though that the ocarina adult Link uses is always the Ocarina of Time model even if you're using the Fairy Ocarina, I don't think I pointed that out.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Well, if the potato ocarina is good enough for Saria, it's good enough for the Hero of Time. :colbert:

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
I thought of something while watching your latest bonus vid. (Loving this LP, btw.)

What would happen if you glitched away all your tunics except for one, say your blue one, like you did in the video, then got eaten by a Like Like. Will the game just give you back your Green tunic, like it does the master sword, or will we get some crazy color tunics?

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
From what's been said, I think Link's model defaults to the Kokiri Tunic; he'll always have it on regardless of whether or not it's in his inventory.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:

CrazySalamander posted:

I always wonder if one of the animators had discovered the super slide while playing.

Yeah, that animator playing the game that didn't exist on the console that didn't exist.

Vnat
Jan 24, 2013

Cheez posted:

Yeah, that animator playing the game that didn't exist on the console that didn't exist.

Crazier timeline shenanigans have occurred not only in this series, but this very LP.

Darth Numbers
May 7, 2015
If I recall correctly, the whole "backflip and do the ocarina items glitch with a bottle out" (that you mentioned again in your extra video about bottles)= milk thing works regardless of what's on your C buttons-- I remember doing that to beat the giant jellyfish in jabu-jabu as a kid because I sucked at the game and I wanted infinite health :U

unless you already said that and I missed it

DoctorKill
Jul 23, 2013

W H A T H A V E
Y O U D O N E
T O M Y
B E A U T I F U L
M O O N
I don't think I elaborated about any of it, but it doesn't matter what's on your c buttons since it wasn't an RBA trick, it just matters what buttons you press. What I did was have a bottle with something in it (like bugs, fish, fairy) in hand, backflip, press that bottle button, then pressed the c button for an empty bottle. When you have a bottled item in hand and press it when you're in the air, link will use it when he lands, but if you take out an empty bottle in the middle of that the game doesn't know what to do, so it defaults to milk drinking. I guess for the same reason it defaults to playing the ocarina of you use sword instead of an empty bottle or something. I believe the milk drinking glitch doesn't work in version 1.0, and maybe 1.1.

What happened in the video is that I combined this action with RBA. When you do this glitch/animation with an empty B bottle the game will check to see if you have milk on the byte I'm pointing to with c-right, and if it sees there's milk (value 26) it will put half milk in that address, and on B.

DoctorKill
Jul 23, 2013

W H A T H A V E
Y O U D O N E
T O M Y
B E A U T I F U L
M O O N
New episode! It's time for us to get through the water temple, together. This time I'm joined by hit Ocarina of Time Star Celebrity Let's Player Faerie Fortune, who's here to experience an unusual kind of schadenfreude, one that's focused towards video game levels instead of people.

Fae's Revenge

Alternative Title: Someone Call the Fish Police I Need to Report a Fish Crime

We see quite a bit of Water Temple, more than any dungeon we've done so far, mostly because it has the coolest tricks and is one of my favorite dungeons. The nature of this temple means there are a lot of interesting strategies for getting around, so hopefully this jaunt through Ocarina of Time's most infamous dungeon proves to be entertaining for you sickos who like seeing dungeons get hurt.

Next time we'll be doing Fire Temple, and if you are aware of how I might finish it, keep it to yourself! It will be our little secret, I want everyone else to be surprised.

DoctorKill fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jun 5, 2015

Darth Numbers
May 7, 2015

DoctorKill posted:

I don't think I elaborated about any of it, but it doesn't matter what's on your c buttons since it wasn't an RBA trick, it just matters what buttons you press. What I did was have a bottle with something in it (like bugs, fish, fairy) in hand, backflip, press that bottle button, then pressed the c button for an empty bottle. When you have a bottled item in hand and press it when you're in the air, link will use it when he lands, but if you take out an empty bottle in the middle of that the game doesn't know what to do, so it defaults to milk drinking. I guess for the same reason it defaults to playing the ocarina of you use sword instead of an empty bottle or something. I believe the milk drinking glitch doesn't work in version 1.0, and maybe 1.1.

What happened in the video is that I combined this action with RBA. When you do this glitch/animation with an empty B bottle the game will check to see if you have milk on the byte I'm pointing to with c-right, and if it sees there's milk (value 26) it will put half milk in that address, and on B.

Ah, okay-- I must have mixed the tricks together in my mind. Yeah if you use anything else I believe you get the Ocarina Items glitch, but with a bottle you get infinite milk. I forget the versions but I just tried it again on the gamecube and it worked ^^

Incidentally, is it crass to ask if you're still looking for co-commentators?

DoctorKill
Jul 23, 2013

W H A T H A V E
Y O U D O N E
T O M Y
B E A U T I F U L
M O O N

Darth Numbers posted:

Ah, okay-- I must have mixed the tricks together in my mind. Yeah if you use anything else I believe you get the Ocarina Items glitch, but with a bottle you get infinite milk. I forget the versions but I just tried it again on the gamecube and it worked ^^

Incidentally, is it crass to ask if you're still looking for co-commentators?

Not quite! It will do Ocarina Items for items that get put in Link's hand, which admittedly is most items. But for other items when you do this, the game will empty the thing you caught, but update the other item with an empty bottle. So essentially it dupes a bottle onto that item. This happens for deku nuts and the lens, but also will happen for items that you have 0 of, like bombs or sticks. Items that cause a cutscene, like the magic spells, beans, trade items, or other bottled items will cause nothing to happen.

And it's not crass, but I'm all full up right now! Sorry.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

tiistai posted:

Well there's always the animation at least

I can't get over how fitting this is to most of the things done in this LP.

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

DoctorKill posted:

Water Temple

Water temple is the best dungeon, I had no idea the setups for the floor 2 key worked as child too, neat. Also didn't know that deku nuts actually affected dark link if you're not looking at him. He does have the same amount of life as you, its just that the master sword/deku still does 1 heart worth of damage on a normal slash.

The room that you didn't know how to do that you megaflipped across does need a strength upgrade, theres a block that you have to push behind that bombable wall. On the way to the boss key, when you hovered off of the gold skultulla, you actually can get enough depth(as adult anyways) if you just jump into the water from the ledge you come in on.

If you're still looking for co-commentators, I'd be down to help out.

Darth Numbers
May 7, 2015

DoctorKill posted:

Not quite! It will do Ocarina Items for items that get put in Link's hand, which admittedly is most items. But for other items when you do this, the game will empty the thing you caught, but update the other item with an empty bottle. So essentially it dupes a bottle onto that item. This happens for deku nuts and the lens, but also will happen for items that you have 0 of, like bombs or sticks. Items that cause a cutscene, like the magic spells, beans, trade items, or other bottled items will cause nothing to happen.

And it's not crass, but I'm all full up right now! Sorry.

Oh right, you duplicate the bottle (I was always terrified I'd lose something important and never tried that ^^; ), Ocarina Items is always one of my favorites because of sheer sillyness.

Makes sense! If you run out of people, my skype's on the first page and I'd love to offer my soothing nerd voice to your LP.

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
I'm kind of curious about what happens when you open the longshot chest before the hookshot one. Does it just give you the hookshot or can that be skipped entirely?

DoctorKill
Jul 23, 2013

W H A T H A V E
Y O U D O N E
T O M Y
B E A U T I F U L
M O O N
After you finish the Dampe race, the game checks to see if you have something in the hookshot slot in your inventory. If you do, it gives you the heart piece. So if you get the longshot first the hookshot chest doesn't spawn, and you get the heart piece.

Koobes posted:

On the way to the boss key, when you hovered off of the gold skultulla, you actually can get enough depth(as adult anyways) if you just jump into the water from the ledge you come in on.

This specifically does not work as child! That's why I had to do what I did.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib
I had no idea that the slopes programming actually would extend up in the air, it seems like an extremely odd way to do it

Also I drew a fish police.

Fredrik1 fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jun 6, 2015

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

Fredrik1 posted:

I had no idea that the slopes programming actually would extend up in the air, it seems like an extremely odd way to do it

It's just like how the water extends down.

Fredrik1 posted:

Fine work.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
I keep hoping that someone in the game will say "Thanks, Obama" at some point. "Thank You, Obama" would be good enough.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Fredrik1 posted:

Part of the game probably thinks you're actually on the ground, because standing on air is clearly impossible, right?

DoctorKill
Jul 23, 2013

W H A T H A V E
Y O U D O N E
T O M Y
B E A U T I F U L
M O O N

Fredrik1 posted:

Fish don't need bicycles, but they do need cars, to demand respect from the populace.

Thanks for this, it's adorable.

Carbon dioxide posted:

Part of the game probably thinks you're actually on the ground, because standing on air is clearly impossible, right?

I don't think it 'thinks' I'm on the ground but that could be a semantic thing. It probably just checks to see if your x and y coordinates coincide with the coordinates of a sloped surface, but that's just a guess.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?

DoctorKill posted:

I don't think it 'thinks' I'm on the ground but that could be a semantic thing. It probably just checks to see if your x and y coordinates coincide with the coordinates of a sloped surface, but that's just a guess.

That was my thought as well, it makes me wonder what would happen if you went out of bounds and bomb hovered under one of those slopes.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I appreciate the creepy cutscene near the end. Cutscenes with the wrong Link are hilarious, it's just too bad most of them crash the game apparently.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib

DoctorKill posted:

Fish don't need bicycles, but they do need cars, to demand respect from the populace.

Thanks for this, it's adorable.

Thanks,

yeah, it's probably just optimization/laziness, checking links x/y position would be a lot more efficient than doing checks against x/y/z it's not like you were supposed to fly over the gap anyway.

I wonder if this is the same for the other slopes in the game.

DoctorKill
Jul 23, 2013

W H A T H A V E
Y O U D O N E
T O M Y
B E A U T I F U L
M O O N
Bonus is the color of your energy.

Mighty Morpha's Water Dangers

This is just to show off all the tricks that adult would use in the water temple, and there are a lot of them. The water temple probably has the most glitches per square foot out of all the dungeons which is why this ended up being such a long bonus episode. I probably won't be doing another bonus video focusing on a temple, but I guess we'll see.

TapamN
Jan 10, 2008
The game probably decides what ground Link is standing on by doing a downwards raycast from the center of Link and using the first surface it hits.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I know it's not possible to get there without cheats, but now I'm wondering if the game got a maximum number of keys you can hold programmed in, just like there's a maximum amount of money.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Carbon dioxide posted:

I know it's not possible to get there without cheats, but now I'm wondering if the game got a maximum number of keys you can hold programmed in, just like there's a maximum amount of money.

Since it is impossible to get, I assume they just used double integer system, so the final number of keys would be FF, which would probably look really odd.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

On time blocks changing state depending on how old Link is: could that be a relic of the planned in-dungeon time-travel mechanic?

Is there anything (items, areas) left in the code of the game that didn't get used in the final version? I'm guessing not, due to memory constraints.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Well since it's pretty easy to change values in an emulator with memory hacking software

here's keys 100, 110 and the predictable maximum of 127. Past that the game treats you as having no keys: the key icon disappears and you can't open locked doors.

Tested at Forest but I bet they're all the same anyway.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Does that mean it allows negative number of keys too?

Vnat
Jan 24, 2013

Dzhay posted:

Is there anything (items, areas) left in the code of the game that didn't get used in the final version? I'm guessing not, due to memory constraints.

There's really too much unused content to go into detail, but basically if you can see it in-game, there's probably an unused/previous version somewhere in the data.

https://tcrf.net/The_Legend_of_Zelda:_Ocarina_of_Time

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Mordaedil posted:

Probably not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

Mordaedil posted:

It certainly seem like they used a signed byte. They logic probably just checks for > 1 key. What did the original hardware do on an overflow?

• Locked thread