Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.
If you can still see the main land you can see where this Ocean thread is going...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,
helvitís fokking fokk

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
gently caress offfff iceshitland

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Zanshin
Apr 9, 2015

by Ralp
I live on the largest island so that means I'm the boss chief here.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
I lived on an island once. It was pretty cool, people are chill as gently caress.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
No man is an island OP.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Peeps on the island are hosed, and I'm not spending $50 just to get across the ferry to the island. $100 if I want to bring the car!

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m25butSyl1I

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona
i'm chamorro, give me back my island white devil

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
OP, no man is an island unto himse

Testikles posted:

No man is an island OP.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

lol if your island isn't even 3 million square miles large imo

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
I live on beautiful Manitoulin Island . . . :suicide:

Dave_Indeed
Feb 22, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Women in the Caribbean are really into white American dick, FYI. Even the fat nerdy guy that came with me (for work, we installed the CBSI fingerprint network) was getting hit on mercilessly. Downside is you have to leave the resort like you never should, ever.

You should never leave the resort, or go to the tourist areas. Never do it. Do not leave the resort.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
They lost to the caps

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

*blazes one 4 da nation*

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

social vegan posted:

*blazes one 4 da nation*

safe homie

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
I am not from an island but I'm part of this thread now

Un chien andalou
Oct 22, 2008

The pipe is leaking
Montreal island best island

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

gas op. gently caress thread.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.

fyodor posted:

gas op. gently caress thread.

Chill, mon! We on ISLAND time now.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
thank god your av has changed

:pray:

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

hello from prince edward island :nyoron:

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Pleads posted:

my great great grandfather Enos used to live there! Did you know him?

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL
THEIR ALL INBRED.

texaholic
Sep 16, 2007

Well it's floodin' down in Texas
All of the telephone lines are down
technically we all live on islands, water surrounds everything.

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL

texaholic posted:

technically we all live on islands, water surrounds everything.

CLEVER.. U THINK

MORE LIKE STUPID!!!

texaholic
Sep 16, 2007

Well it's floodin' down in Texas
All of the telephone lines are down
Texas is an island

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
Continents are basically really big islands. Rly makes u think

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

no one man is an island yes, unless ur Marcus, the giant man island upon which the earth is balanced

ghost host
Apr 17, 2010

ain't got no cash
ain't go no style

Pleads posted:

lol newfies.

I've been on Manitoulin Island so I am one of you now.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

texaholic posted:

Texas is an island

Fat joke?

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

diabeetz posted:

lol newfies.

I've been on Manitoulin Island so I am one of you now.

never get the smell off

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Beaver island.

obviously I fucked it
Oct 6, 2009
A serious post for the redshirt: I grew up on an island about 13-14 miles out to sea, which makes my teeny Maine coast rock of a town pretty rural and our society one of tribe culture more than anything. Your ties are through kinship and historical presence in one place, your way of life on the water makes you pretty self-sufficient and different from the larger population, etc, etc, blah blah blah. (Natives don't live *on* the island, we are *of* the island. For example, I have lived here on the mainland for over thirty years, but when asked where I'm from, I say the name of my island. I pay taxes in my town here on the mainland, but I don't participate in town politics or budget/school board things as this isnt really my home, it's just where I now reside. But at home, i keep an eye on how things are going, what's happening, etc.--one feels like my business, and the other doesn't.)

However, my island got pretty much discovered in a big way by folks living off trust funds who wanted to go all romantic/rustic island life so the housing costs that used to be attainable are now ridiculously out of reach for many people. Hello, new trailers in the woods for natives, hey there stupid looking mini-mansions and people actually calling police'/lawyers when there's a dispute instead of settling problems on their own. :( In some ways, they've been of benefit, and in some ways they've done nothing but harm. Whaddaya gonna do, amirite. Some assimilate and try to fit in, others think because they're there, they are now somehow one of us.

What remains that is the good side of redneck/hick island culture is the interdependence families have with each other--like if you have a catastrophic illness, the town will collect money for you at the paper store, or hold raffles, suppers, etc, and will makes sure your kids don't go through winter without new coats and boots, that sort of thing and don't be surprised to see local women stopping by with casseroles, offers to help out with the house and kids and people sending help in other ways. You'll also see the occasional idiot out in a storm (or out in a kayak, even worse) in really bad weather whom the Coast Guard won't rescue due to the water being too dangerous and fishermen will sneer, continue drinking/smoking the reefer, then go find the unfortunate gently caress and save them while grumbling about total pussies who should stay inside if they can't understand weather reports. It's something I don't see as much over here on the mainland due to I would imagine simply not knowing your neighbors for umpteen generations and thus not having that sense of needing to look out for others. You also see the divorce/remarriage rearrangements go around and around, so there's a real distinct way of accepting people and circumstance that you have to participate in in order to live out there. Like, say, you may have a lifelong friend who is now your ex's new spouse and step parent to your kids. God loving forbid you try and not be the subject of gossip on islands; small societies feed off talking about one another, even while they're the same ones bringing the aforementioned food. Yeah, gossip's everywhere, but out there, it's a blood sport.
I miss the place like mental this time of year, and I miss the camaraderie. Wintertime, the place can go gently caress itself, it's difficult as sin and your life revolves around the ferry system actually running and it's incredibly frustrating. The gallows humor is loving fantastic year round, though.
But yeah, Island Goons represent.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

potvin sucks

spank my snatch
Jun 4, 2009

Un chien andalou posted:

Montreal island best island

EnderWiggin
Jan 10, 2015
The part of island living I find most amusing is when it's very obvious how small the gene pool there is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
shaolin resident checking in straight from the 10304

• Locked thread