Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I didn't understand the ending where that big donut shaped spaceship somehow rolled after the two women and eventually crushed them like why did they keep going forward if they stepped to the side it would have rolled right past them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimh
Sep 18, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Why?: The Movie

In space no one can hear your questions. still gonna blame the lost writer. i only ever saw 20 minutes of the tv show and i saw a polar bear. Why was a polar bear on the island? i asked a few people who watched the show and no one could answer. its lost poo poo

nimh fucked around with this message at 14:49 on May 11, 2015

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

peter gabriel posted:

I didn't understand the ending where that big donut shaped spaceship somehow rolled after the two women and eventually crushed them like why did they keep going forward if they stepped to the side it would have rolled right past them

that would have been so loving easy to fix too. make em trip, make em twist their ankle, make them TRY to get out of the way but fail. anything instead of just making them run in a straight line. that script is so goddamn dumb.

still, i enjoyed the movie.

Pooned
Dec 28, 2005

Eye contact counters everything
I loved the black goo. It made a lot of sense and fitted perfectly with everything. Prometheus is a grand film worthy of alien canon.

nimh
Sep 18, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
If anyone could explain the polar bear thatd be great

blainestereo
Jan 16, 2013

Pooned posted:

I loved the black goo.

Excuse me, the correct term is Gieger Juice.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

nimh posted:

Why?: The Movie

In space no one can hear your questions. still gonna blame the lost writer. i only ever saw 20 minutes of the tv show and i saw a polar bear. Why was a polar bear on the island? i asked a few people who watched the show and no one could answer. its lost poo poo

It's never even close to being explained. I think there is a single vague reference to polar bears in a much later season but it wasnt satisfying in any way. You were correct already: its stupid lost poo poo

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I watched a few episodes of Lost when it first came out then forgot about it thanks for reading my story

nimh
Sep 18, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

peter gabriel posted:

I watched a few episodes of Lost when it first came out then forgot about it thanks for reading my story

it totally relates to this space tale.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

peter gabriel posted:

the one girl did run to the side and then it tipped over and fell on her dumdum

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
this is a good read: http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplayl..._medium=twitter

quote:

4. Spaihts Explains why Milburn and Fifield were such idiot scientists in the film.
One of the biggest complaints in the film is how the scientists Milburn (Rafe Spall) and Fifield (Sean Harris) are complete idiots. The geo-tracker Fifield manages to get them lost, and the biologist Milburn essentially plays “here kitty kitty” with what looks like a deadly alien snake. “Milburn and Fifefield, for two people scared to death, do an enormous amount of poking around,” Spaihts admitted on the commentary track. “You and I in this scenario would run as far away as possible.” Spaihts explains that Milburn, however is a xenobiologist, and he’s very excited and interested in this creature. He also laments the loss of dropping a previous scene (present on the DVD extras), where Milburn is extremely excited about finding evidence of life in a very harmless looking worm (the entire team is elated and practically do high fives). “It really showed how excited Milburn was by experiencing any extra-terrestrial, sophisticated life. That sort of explains why he’s acting like a complete utter moron here. The last thing you do when you see a snake in the wild is get your face really close to it and start smiling and extending your hand like you wanna pet it.”

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
The part where that ripped dude bitch slaps the guy in the wheelchair is pretty harsh

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
My two problems with the movie:

I though the space jockeys were much larger in Alien

what the gently caress was that retarded zombie thing that had no purpose whatsoever

Mr.Smiley4
Jul 4, 2007
Send him to Detroit!

steinrokkan posted:

what the gently caress was that retarded zombie thing that had no purpose whatsoever

It was so useless and forgettable that I didn't remember it until you mentioned it.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

thathonkey posted:

It's never even close to being explained. I think there is a single vague reference to polar bears in a much later season but it wasnt satisfying in any way. You were correct already: its stupid lost poo poo

Thats one of the things from s1 that is clearly and unequivocally explained. Not saying its a great explanation but sorry youre too dumb to watch network television.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

idris ilba is the only dude on that whole ship with a clue

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

SHOTGUN REGULAR posted:

Thats one of the things from s1 that is clearly and unequivocally explained. Not saying its a great explanation but sorry youre too dumb to watch network television.

O cool what was that unequivocal explanation again

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Blue Raider posted:

idris ilba is the only dude on that whole ship with a clue

He was the only one I recall actively trying to bang either Rapace or Theron, so yeah props to the stud for remembering that even in space everyone wants to tap that.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Prometheus is the only sci fi film I've ever watched from start to finish

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

peter gabriel posted:

Prometheus is the only sci fi film I've ever watched from start to finish

what do you u think

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
You can't half-rear end grand philosophical themes into your movie and then just sort of wrap it up by having the mysterious godlike creator figure hulk out, moo like a cow and run around punching stuff until he gets chomped by a vag-snake and roll credits

I mean, you can, but it'll just be another blunt tool to separate retarded pseudointellectual sci-fi from actual thoughtful nerd poo poo that doesn't make any money

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
^ what i was dissapointed about was that they actually managed to kill the blue fucker. he should have just flown out w/ the chick hiding inside somewhere.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Dyna Soar posted:

what do you u think

I honestly thought it was very pretty but then all a lot of fuss about nothing, they go to a planet, things go wrong, the end.

I'd just got a new TV when it came out and heard it was a good looking film so that's why I got it.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

steinrokkan posted:

bro scientist transformed into a zombie cause hitler youth robot put some in his drink. apparently that's what the goo does. except when it does other things like in the beginning of the movie? were those two different goo's?

the main character got knocked up by tainted goo spunk. how come she didnt be come a zombie? why did a goo fetus turn into a squid? the "alien" at the end looked like a downs syndrome version of the original alien.

this movie is fuckin' stupid.

edit-

whoever said edris elba was the best part of the movie is correct. he's like gently caress it imma kill myself cause this movie sucks.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
imo the android dude was really good too. and uhh the memento guy as the old geezer. buncha great acting in that movie, amazing considering the script they had.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

toggle posted:

when the scientist took off his helmet in the alien spaceship and could breath was the moment when this movie turned to dogshit

i mean, come on
if an archaeologist jumped off a bridge you would be a fool not to follow

peter gabriel posted:

why do people think things roll in a straight line forever instead of veering to one side and eventually tipping over particularly if they werent ever meant to be mass balanced around their volumetric center
do you still remember anything of the physical world from before you uploaded yourself into your computer

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I liked this movie when I just pretended it was Blade Runner spinoff & David was just a self-aware replicant.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

gary oldmans diary posted:

why do people think things roll in a straight line forever instead of veering to one side and eventually tipping over particularly if they werent meant to be mass balanced around their volumetric center
do you still remember anything of the physical world from before you uploaded yourself into your computer

I'd probably remember the huge donut trying to crush me because I'd have stepped to one side and it wouldn't have killed me

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

peter gabriel posted:

I'd probably remember the huge donut trying to crush me because I'd have stepped to one side and it wouldn't have killed me

one of them did and it fell over and crushed her dummy

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

peter gabriel posted:

or it veered that way and you died because you didnt do the smart thing and run away first
top priority is running directly away from massive things falling down toward you in ways you cant predict

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

one of them did and it fell over and crushed her dummy

Ah well, at least she tried

gary oldmans diary posted:

or it veered that way because you didnt do the smart thing and run away first
top priority is running directly away from massive things falling down toward you in ways you cant predict

If they'd have known this before I bet they would have all lived

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

nimh posted:

the only good thing about Prometheus is Happy Birthday David:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWmbqH_z7jM

See this illustrates what was good about Prometheus (the parts that had David) and what was not good about it (the parts that did not have David)

Mr.Smiley4
Jul 4, 2007
Send him to Detroit!

Flesh Forge posted:

See this illustrates what was good about Prometheus (the parts that had David) and what was not good about it (the parts that did not have David)

Even the parts that did have David were loving awful in places. How did David know how to use the goo-panel to open the door in the ship? Why did he infect the dude scientist with the black goo, and how did he know that the dude scientist would knock up the chick scientist to create an alien baby?

dumb

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

i will address this point by point

Mr.Smiley4 posted:

Even the parts that did have David were loving awful in places. How did David know how to use the goo-panel to open the door in the ship?

DOESNT MATTER HAD DAVID

quote:

Why did he infect the dude scientist with the black goo,

DOSENT MATTER HAD DAVED

quote:

and how did he know that the dude scientist would knock up the chick scientist to create an alien baby?

DOESANT MAATER HARD DADIV

quote:

dumb

the devense rests

Mr.Smiley4
Jul 4, 2007
Send him to Detroit!

Flesh Forge posted:

i will address this point by point

DOESNT MATTER HAD DAVID

DOSENT MATTER HAD DAVED

DOESANT MAATER HARD DADIV

the devense rests

Well I'm sold

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
The movie had solid art direction and decent acting, but lacked a compelling storyline that would have allowed the audience to overlook its various plotholes. It seemed like the situation was contrived specifically to put the characters in danger, rather than allowing the danger to evolve organically from the situation.

I bet that if you did a scene by scene breakdown comparing the plotholes/silly elements of Promethius with Alien or Aliens, the three films would probably score about the same. The difference is that Alien and Aliens took a scenario and worked forward, while Prometheus took a desired end state (based on preconceptions of Alien lore and audience expectations) and built a plot around it.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
prometheus actually did not have any plotholes, not that i can remember anyway.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Dyna Soar posted:

prometheus actually did not have any plotholes, not that i can remember anyway.

Where did the alien baby get the mass to grow to giant size if it was deprived of food in the autodoc room?

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Applewhite posted:

Where did the alien baby get the mass to grow to giant size if it was deprived of food in the autodoc room?

stuff could have happened off screen that explains this. maybe it found the food storage room? maybe the alien dna poo poo lets it clone itself or w/e. it's stupid but it's not a plothole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

tbf the autodoc had to have a comprehensive supply of organs and blood and whatever

also yeah "two years worth of supplies"

• Locked thread