Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
naem
May 29, 2011

Lol

http://youtu.be/-x1YuvUQFJ0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Dyna Soar posted:

stuff could have happened off screen that explains this. maybe it found the food storage room? maybe the alien dna poo poo lets it clone itself or w/e. it's stupid but it's not a plothole.

Flesh Forge posted:

tbf the autodoc had to have a comprehensive supply of organs and blood and whatever

also yeah "two years worth of supplies"

Yeah well.........
There was other stuff.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Applewhite posted:

Yeah well.........
There was other stuff.

i'm pretty sure there were no gaping plotholes, just people acting strangely stupid for being scientists.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Dyna Soar posted:

i'm pretty sure there were no gaping plotholes, just people acting strangely stupid for being scientists.

Maybe I'm not using the proper definition of "plothole."

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
that's fair enough if the engineers were super retarded too

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
Also, the alien in Alien goes from chestburster to full grown in a few hours.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Tricky D posted:

Also, the alien in Alien goes from chestburster to full grown in a few hours.

Exactly. That's what I'm saying. It wasn't the stupid "willing suspension of disbelief" stuff which ruined Prometheus, because Alien and Aliens were both equally as bad in that department, but were solid films overall.

Prometheus lacked some other quality that was present in the other films that allowed the audience to overlook the stupid stuff.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Applewhite posted:

Maybe I'm not using the proper definition of "plothole."

well, it means an inconsistency within the plot itself. people acting stupid is not a plothole, it's just lazy writing.

also the link i posted explains some of the retarded stuff the scientists do. they basically left out stuff that explains a lot either in the final screenplay drafting phase or in editing. i hope we'll get a directors cut or something.

blade runner suffered almost as much from bad editing before the special versions.

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 20:10 on May 11, 2015

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Applewhite posted:

Prometheus lacked some other quality that was present in the other films that allowed the audience to overlook the stupid stuff.

Allegorical rape?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Normal Adult Human posted:

Allegorical rape?

Partially, but action franchises as a whole seem to have gotten less compelling over time, even ones that never contained allegorical rape.

I think one of the biggest problems is that, thanks to easy special effects, there is now too much action in action films, without the moments of character/plot/worldbuilding that make that action interesting to the viewer.

If you were to go back and watch say, Terminator II, look at how slow it moves compared to films that came out post-CGI revolution.
There is a lot of talking in Terminator II, and much more suspense, which gave the action scenes a lot more impact.

Also, the action scenes were cathartic, driven by resolving a previously established tension, rather than just thrown in willy nilly wherever they would look cool.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
yeah, i mean that truck chase scene in terminator 2 had a lot of build up. you knew poo poo was gonna go down, and it sure as hell did. in a modern action movie a scene like that would look tame.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I thought stuff like Jaws and Alien were so slow because the foam and rubber monsters they made looked like poo poo so they went for a more suspensful vibe and hid the bad guys as much as they could?

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I thought Alien was like, the example of practical effects proving their value over CGI.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Dyna Soar posted:

yeah, i mean that truck chase scene in terminator 2 had a lot of build up. you knew poo poo was gonna go down, and it sure as hell did. in a modern action movie a scene like that would look tame.

Exactly.
Another case in point: Jupiter Rising.
Gorgeous GORGEOUS art direction and actually a pretty solid plot/premise that was a loveletter to classic Sci-Fi/Fantasy.
Suffered a lot because the action scenes were like 8 minutes long and were composed purely of CGI garbage flying at the screen. They could have dropped the entire sky battle over the city where the wolf guy initially rescues Mila Kunis and the audience wouldn't have missed it. Most of the action sequences were like that.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

peter gabriel posted:

I thought stuff like Jaws and Alien were so slow because the foam and rubber monsters they made looked like poo poo so they went for a more suspensful vibe and hid the bad guys as much as they could?

And thank God they did because Alien or Jaws made with fully visible CGI monsters would be just as bad as Prometheus turned out to be.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Jupiter had over 5 scenes where max payne's girlfriend is falling and the guy with the magic boots has to save her

Mr.Smiley4
Jul 4, 2007
Send him to Detroit!

Applewhite posted:

Exactly. That's what I'm saying. It wasn't the stupid "willing suspension of disbelief" stuff which ruined Prometheus, because Alien and Aliens were both equally as bad in that department, but were solid films overall.

It wasn't that everything in Prometheus was stupid, it's that it never resolved any of the questions/issues with people acting the way they did. Why did David do what he did? Just to gently caress with them? idk, they never said.

Alien and Aliens are much simpler movies that are way better because everyone's motivations were way more defined, even if it was as simple as staying alive or making money. This helps people get into the movie more and keeps them from focusing on dumb plot holes.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Normal Adult Human posted:

I thought Alien was like, the example of practical effects proving their value over CGI.

No that's the 1982 version of "The Thing" which is still the high watermark for practical effects.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjIXwkX1e48

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
John carpenter also makes movies.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Mr.Smiley4 posted:

Even the parts that did have David were loving awful in places.
you should have paid attention

Mr.Smiley4 posted:

How did David know how to use the goo-panel to open the door in the ship?

he was shown studying a lot of languages for a long time, iirc one of the writings looked a lot like the hieroglyphs the goo panel had. stupid, maybe but totally explained.

Mr.Smiley4 posted:

Why did he infect the dude scientist with the black goo

did you watch the movie? just before he told weyland he will find out what the black goo does if put inside a human. then he asks how far should he go, and weyland says as far as it takes. he's a cold mofo.

Mr.Smiley4 posted:

and how did he know that the dude scientist would knock up the chick scientist to create an alien baby?

i don't think he did? did he? i can't remember this anymore.

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
If you think stuff isn't a plot hole because you can grunt and sweat and pull an off-camera imaginary explanation for it out of your rear end two years after the movie came out, then I guess that no movies have ever had plot holes ever in the entire history of movies, and plot holes are imaginary plus you're a loving dipshit retard

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Tujague posted:

If you think stuff isn't a plot hole because you can grunt and sweat and pull an off-camera imaginary explanation for it out of your rear end two years after the movie came out, then I guess that no movies have ever had plot holes ever in the entire history of movies, and plot holes are imaginary plus you're a loving dipshit retard

i'm not even pulling anything. if you think something happening offscreen that's left unexplained is a plothole then you're the retard sorry. prometheus had no obvious plotholes. it suffers from bad editing true and some of its characters act pretty stupid but it's a coherent story and mostly makes sense if you paid attention.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I'm learning lots about films ITT thanks all

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Dyna Soar posted:

he was shown studying a lot of languages for a long time, iirc one of the writings looked a lot like the hieroglyphs the goo panel had. stupid, maybe but totally explained.

did you watch the movie? just before he told weyland he will find out what the black goo does if put inside a human. then he asks how far should he go, and weyland says as far as it takes. he's a cold mofo.

ur really over thinking this DAVID=GOOD thing

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
OK, this is a stupid nit pick maybe given all the other poo poo in the movie but as I haven't seen it since the theater I have to ask (maybe this was even corrected on the release):

When they do the HUD views from people's suits, did anyone else notice there is clearly a compass with a degree heading on it.. that doesn't loving move, at all, no matter what direction they face?

I remember seeing that like three times in the theater and even in the face of "I'm a professional that's huffing drugs in my space suit and think it's a good idea to pet the hissing dick monster" I found that annoying.

Tujague posted:

I suspect 99% of the problems with this movie came from massive behind the scenes trouble.

The whole out of nowhere zombie thing had a bunch of action scenes filmed around it, including many left in the trailer, that got scrapped. Apparently huge swaths of the film were chopped or re-shot because there was an internal argument about how much action it should have.

Mr.Smiley4
Jul 4, 2007
Send him to Detroit!

Dyna Soar posted:

Admittedly I haven't seen the movie since it came out, but I don't recall either of those. I just remember walking out of the theater totally confused about the whole movie and feeling frustrated that something almost awesome turned into such poo poo in the last 20-30 minutes when things went batshit stupid and they didn't bother to explain much of the previous parts of the movie either.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Mr.Smiley4 posted:

How did David know how to use the goo-panel to open the door in the ship? Why did he infect the dude scientist with the black goo, and how did he know that the dude scientist would knock up the chick scientist to create an alien baby?
youre encouraging movie makers to spoon feed these things in ways everyone hates instead of just reasoning the relationships between what you see

recognized similarities with alphabets and cuneiforms david had been studying of cultures on earth that had interacted with aliens according to art found by the archaeologists weyland had been financing

unethical hasty research at the behest of out-of-stasis and dying mr weyland into the nature of found alien technology and biotechnology

why would you think he knew there would be an alien baby

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Dyna Soar posted:

i'm not even pulling anything. if you think something happening offscreen that's left unexplained is a plothole then you're the retard sorry. prometheus had no obvious plotholes. it suffers from bad editing true and some of its characters act pretty stupid but it's a coherent story and mostly makes sense if you paid attention.

Okay well then tell me a movie where you think there's a plot hole and I'll loving bean myself over the skull with a pipe wrench so I can pretend to be you and tell you why it isn't a plot hole

stupid

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Mr.Smiley4 posted:

Admittedly I haven't seen the movie since it came out, but I don't recall either of those. I just remember walking out of the theater totally confused about the whole movie and feeling frustrated that something almost awesome turned into such poo poo in the last 20-30 minutes when things went batshit stupid and they didn't bother to explain much of the previous parts of the movie either.

which is the stupid one, you or the movie?

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Tujague posted:

Okay well then tell me a movie where you think there's a plot hole and I'll loving bean myself over the skull with a pipe wrench so I can pretend to be you and tell you why it isn't a plot hole

stupid

here's one from indiana jones and the last crusade:

quote:

When Indy is stepping on the letters at the end, trying to spell out God's name, he steps on J, incorrectly. When he falls through, however, he grabs onto another letter so as not to fall down. The letters he grabs onto and pulls himself up are an L and a Y, which are not in the word Iehovah, so should have collapsed too.

only the letters in jehova should carry his weight. that's a plothole there. see the difference?

Mr.Smiley4
Jul 4, 2007
Send him to Detroit!

Dyna Soar posted:

which is the stupid one, you or the movie?

false dichotomy, the answer is u

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Dyna Soar posted:

i hope we'll get a directors cut or something.
eh... not me

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Duhhh I'm a loving human being okay that was explained offscreen, because the guys who made the booby trap calibrated it to break under a person's weight. Obviously your booby trap wouldn't last 1000 years if it fell apart the first time a rat ran across. Indy was distributing his weight on two breakaway letters, which wasn't heavy enough to set off the trap.

Wow, it's fun and easy to be a loving fucktarded jackass imbecile, I can see why you love it

Next plothole, fuckmouth?

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Tujague posted:

Duhhh I'm a loving human being okay that was explained offscreen, because the guys who made the booby trap calibrated it to break under a person's weight. Obviously your booby trap wouldn't last 1000 years if it fell apart the first time a rat ran across. Indy was distributing his weight on two breakaway letters, which wasn't heavy enough to set off the trap.

Wow, it's fun and easy to be a loving fucktarded jackass imbecile, I can see why you love it

Next plothole, fuckmouth?

whoa, take it easy squirt.

Mr.Smiley4
Jul 4, 2007
Send him to Detroit!

Dyna Soar posted:

whoa, take it easy squirt.

:iceburn:

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Dyna Soar posted:

The master plot hole is: Why is everyone on a multi-billion dollar super secret corporation mission dumber than the very dumbest Friday the 13th slasher victim?

- Map guy who forgets he has maps
- People who think petting a hissing (alien) animal that's showing fangs is a great idea
- Old man hides on his own mission rather than just admitting he's on it
- ... and then proceeds to go talk poo poo to an alien instead of letting his people do it
- "Oh the air seems fine let's all take off our helmets."
- Captain decides to go gently caress the hot corporate contact while he still has people lost in a storm.. and nobody else is on the loving bridge or checks any recordings
- TURN.. NINETY DEGREES.. TO NOT loving.. DIE. Because seriously, what the gently caress.

Then also stupid things that happen:

- "I'll drop some black goo in this guy's drink because.. uh.. because reasons."
- "This medical table is not designed for women but oh well!" (What a lovely ultra expensive table)
- Surprise zombies! (See my earlier comment about how this major subplot was utterly cut and they left just enough for it to suck)
- Giant alien squid baby kills giant Albino rear end in a top hat and .. uh.. proto xenomorph?
- Way more I've erased from my mind at this point

What's sad is the idea for the movie had a ton of potential. The theory going around before it's production is that it would involve Weyland stealing technology from the Pilots, and then they would attempt to destroy Earth; and somehow by the end, the ship sent to use xenomorphs as bioweapons would be brought down on LV-426 and the pilot killed by an alien himself, leading into Alien and further explaining why the company knew it was there. God, I wish we could have gotten that movie instead because it makes actual sense.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Blazing Ownager posted:

The master plot hole is: Why is everyone on a multi-billion dollar super secret corporation mission dumber than the very dumbest Friday the 13th slasher victim?

- Map guy who forgets he has maps
- People who think petting a hissing (alien) animal that's showing fangs is a great idea
- Old man hides on his own mission rather than just admitting he's on it
- ... and then proceeds to go talk poo poo to an alien instead of letting his people do it
- "Oh the air seems fine let's all take off our helmets."
- Captain decides to go gently caress the hot corporate contact while he still has people lost in a storm.. and nobody else is on the loving bridge or checks any recordings
- TURN.. NINETY DEGREES.. TO NOT loving.. DIE. Because seriously, what the gently caress.

Then also stupid things that happen:

- "I'll drop some black goo in this guy's drink because.. uh.. because reasons."
- "This medical table is not designed for women but oh well!" (What a lovely ultra expensive table)
- Surprise zombies! (See my earlier comment about how this major subplot was utterly cut and they left just enough for it to suck)
- Giant alien squid baby kills giant Albino rear end in a top hat and .. uh.. proto xenomorph?
- Way more I've erased from my mind at this point
yeah, it's stupid. parts are beyond stupid. such a shame. they could have just left a lot of those out or tweaked them just a little bit to make sense. why the hell didn't they?

Blazing Ownager posted:

What's sad is the idea for the movie had a ton of potential. The theory going around before it's production is that it would involve Weyland stealing technology from the Pilots, and then they would attempt to destroy Earth; and somehow by the end, the ship sent to use xenomorphs as bioweapons would be brought down on LV-426 and the pilot killed by an alien himself, leading into Alien and further explaining why the company knew it was there. God, I wish we could have gotten that movie instead because it makes actual sense.

the original script sounds so much better than what they decided to film. the lost dude royally hosed it up.

NObodiesGeek
Jun 14, 2003
I'm not shy, I just hate you.
The movie had it ups and downs just like most do. I see the story being somewhat dark souls like in the fact they give you little to go on and you have to work to figure out the rest. I guess it's lazy but what are you going to do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Smiley4
Jul 4, 2007
Send him to Detroit!

Please keep it coming. This argument, and your pathetic attempt at salvaging it, is the most hilarious thing I've seen on GBS in a while

e: guess he saw the light

• Locked thread