Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
The movie had solid art direction and decent acting, but lacked a compelling storyline that would have allowed the audience to overlook its various plotholes. It seemed like the situation was contrived specifically to put the characters in danger, rather than allowing the danger to evolve organically from the situation.

I bet that if you did a scene by scene breakdown comparing the plotholes/silly elements of Promethius with Alien or Aliens, the three films would probably score about the same. The difference is that Alien and Aliens took a scenario and worked forward, while Prometheus took a desired end state (based on preconceptions of Alien lore and audience expectations) and built a plot around it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Dyna Soar posted:

prometheus actually did not have any plotholes, not that i can remember anyway.

Where did the alien baby get the mass to grow to giant size if it was deprived of food in the autodoc room?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Dyna Soar posted:

stuff could have happened off screen that explains this. maybe it found the food storage room? maybe the alien dna poo poo lets it clone itself or w/e. it's stupid but it's not a plothole.

Flesh Forge posted:

tbf the autodoc had to have a comprehensive supply of organs and blood and whatever

also yeah "two years worth of supplies"

Yeah well.........
There was other stuff.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Dyna Soar posted:

i'm pretty sure there were no gaping plotholes, just people acting strangely stupid for being scientists.

Maybe I'm not using the proper definition of "plothole."

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Tricky D posted:

Also, the alien in Alien goes from chestburster to full grown in a few hours.

Exactly. That's what I'm saying. It wasn't the stupid "willing suspension of disbelief" stuff which ruined Prometheus, because Alien and Aliens were both equally as bad in that department, but were solid films overall.

Prometheus lacked some other quality that was present in the other films that allowed the audience to overlook the stupid stuff.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Normal Adult Human posted:

Allegorical rape?

Partially, but action franchises as a whole seem to have gotten less compelling over time, even ones that never contained allegorical rape.

I think one of the biggest problems is that, thanks to easy special effects, there is now too much action in action films, without the moments of character/plot/worldbuilding that make that action interesting to the viewer.

If you were to go back and watch say, Terminator II, look at how slow it moves compared to films that came out post-CGI revolution.
There is a lot of talking in Terminator II, and much more suspense, which gave the action scenes a lot more impact.

Also, the action scenes were cathartic, driven by resolving a previously established tension, rather than just thrown in willy nilly wherever they would look cool.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Dyna Soar posted:

yeah, i mean that truck chase scene in terminator 2 had a lot of build up. you knew poo poo was gonna go down, and it sure as hell did. in a modern action movie a scene like that would look tame.

Exactly.
Another case in point: Jupiter Rising.
Gorgeous GORGEOUS art direction and actually a pretty solid plot/premise that was a loveletter to classic Sci-Fi/Fantasy.
Suffered a lot because the action scenes were like 8 minutes long and were composed purely of CGI garbage flying at the screen. They could have dropped the entire sky battle over the city where the wolf guy initially rescues Mila Kunis and the audience wouldn't have missed it. Most of the action sequences were like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

peter gabriel posted:

I thought stuff like Jaws and Alien were so slow because the foam and rubber monsters they made looked like poo poo so they went for a more suspensful vibe and hid the bad guys as much as they could?

And thank God they did because Alien or Jaws made with fully visible CGI monsters would be just as bad as Prometheus turned out to be.

• Locked thread