Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj
Apr 15, 2002

arf bark woof
Should the average goon mourn the loss of human lives, when the value and even objective reality of human "life" cannot be established?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CISMALES DID 9-11
Jun 5, 2002

chaotic good STEM major; INTJ
cum

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
nothing can be objectively established so everyone should do whatever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdaM5Mv-TTo

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Mein Eyes! posted:

Should the average goon mourn the loss of human lives, when the value and even objective reality of human "life" cannot be established?

You win the worst use of a comma contest.

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj
Apr 15, 2002

arf bark woof
Should the average goon mourn the loss of human lives when the value and even objective reality of human "life" cannot be, established?

CISMALES DID 9-11
Jun 5, 2002

chaotic good STEM major; INTJ
cu,m

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Mein Eyes! posted:

all the organs are worth about 2 million dollars

bloodsacrifice
Apr 21, 2015

by Ralp
the problem is a lot of people are worthless so we try not to put dollar signs on thse things to avoid uncomfortable conversations.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Three Fiddy

Inevitable
Jul 27, 2007

by Ralp
no. much like your posting

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

bloodsacrifice posted:

the problem is a lot of people are worthless so we try not to put dollar signs on thse things to avoid uncomfortable conversations.

ifi you harvest them for organs they have value

hth

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Life has value, and that value is measured in BTC.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

should the hat wearing man fear a spider, when the number of eyes of the spider can't be established

Lukewarm Gazpacho
Aug 8, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
Black lives matter

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Every life is valuable. Except for the OP's

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp
The wire is worth watching, op, but skip season 5

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Human lives are worth exactly 4,321 pesos.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Some lives are worth more than others, both subjectively and objectively. Global average, though, most lives are worth about the cost of a bullet. That's just reality.

PenguinBob
Oct 12, 2000
But "worth" is inherently subjective?

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
Considering how much it costs to send kids through college, house and feed them before, during and often after that, you would hope so.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Hellfire missile runs about $145K a pop, you're not supposed to let them off the rail unless you have a probable on atleast 8 enemy combatants, a very high value target or used for immediate defense and support of friendly assets. So some folks are worth $145K if they're all Super-Insurgent, but only worth $18,125 if not. I'm guessing twitter activists are prized under even the 18K estimate though, thanks to slacktivism and all.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe

Booblord Zagats posted:

Hellfire missile runs about $145K a pop, you're not supposed to let them off the rail unless you have a probable on atleast 8 enemy combatants, a very high value target or used for immediate defense and support of friendly assets. So some folks are worth $145K if they're all Super-Insurgent, but only worth $18,125 if not. I'm guessing twitter activists are prized under even the 18K estimate though, thanks to slacktivism and all.

What the gently caress nonsense are you even talking about, is it a missile or a train, a probable ?
Why not talk like a regular human being instead of "beep boop, i am a war robot" ?

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
The quantitative value of human life is proportional to the cost of food, shelter and education invested into it. That's why nobody cares when peasants die.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

The value of a human life is in its end.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

staberind posted:

What the gently caress nonsense are you even talking about, is it a missile or a train, a probable ?
Why not talk like a regular human being instead of "beep boop, i am a war robot" ?

Sorry I just used the free market to answer your question. Please accept this picture of a caramel macchiato served in a mason jar as payment for your triggering

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
human life has value

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.
No more valuable than a tree or a chicken or an ant.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
the only good moral relativism is my moral relativism

Fishy Joe
Apr 19, 2005
Eat at Fishy Joe's
mine does

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
It depends on where you live.

Helpimscared
Jun 16, 2014

Your life doesn't, but your money does.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

staberind posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaufhZv84Gk stfu

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

Mein Eyes! posted:

Should the average goon mourn the loss of human lives when the value and even objective reality of human "life" cannot be, established?

http://www.jstor.org/discover/10.2307/2778256?uid=2&uid=4&sid=21106329821751

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe
You both seem to be cretins, perhaps you can spend some quality time together.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

not sure posted:

One hitler shall henceforth be a unit of measurement equal to 6.0*106 human deaths.

Standard SI prefixes apply. Thus Harold Shipman's achievements amount to 36 microhitlers.

The true utility of the hitler as an SI unit is it allows useful unit conversions.

For example: the EPA currently values a human life as being worth 6.9 million us dollars (6.9 megadollars). A simple unit conversion thus gives us 1 hitler is equivalent to -41,400,000,000,000 dollars. (-41 teradollars).

It can therefore be quantitatively established whether or not someone is "worse than hitler". When congress failed to pass a stimulus bill in 2008 the market lost 1.2 trillion dollars in 1 day, roughly equivalent to 29 millihitlers. Joseph Stalin is the only human I know of who can be called worse than hitler, as his achievements clocked roughly 5 hitlers.

When your bank nails you with a 35 dollar fine, you can confidently tell the teller that they are currently loving you over to the tune of 84 picohitlers and ask if they have a very tiny auschwitz behind the counter.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
anyways to answer your question of course every human life has value, and that value varies greatly, it depends on what metric and frankly it makes people uncomfortable so its never worth thinking about unless its youre job to do so

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

staberind posted:

lol what

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

it has subjective value*, but in terms of universal absolutes, we can't even hardly do anything with the other planets in our solar system let alone escape it - there could be billions of planets already inhabited by other, greater intelligent life we'd never know until we bumped into them which would dwarf our importance in such a sense. then again if we are the only intelligent species that exists in the universe we are by default the absolutely most valuable intelligent life, but that's pretty unlikely.

*said value depends on further subjectivities like who you're talking to, who you're talking about, etc. and thus ranges from lots to none, but probably averages to none over the entire 7 billion world populace since while a lot of people highly value the lives of celebrities/family/friends there are many, many more people they either don't care about at all or actively wish harm would come to

bloodsacrifice
Apr 21, 2015

by Ralp

Top City Homo posted:

ifi you harvest them for organs they have value

hth

what if they have AIDS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

staberind posted:

please dont roboshame

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhOaMIZf40U

#robolivesmatter

• Locked thread