Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Problem description: In the last couple days, my laptop (8.1 pro) has been doing weird things when it updates. It'll install the updates and then request to reboot, as usual. Things go find until Windows kicks in after the reboot. Sometimes it'll do the "[X]% completed, configuring updates..." or whatever it is, but even if it does, it'll quickly move to "We couldn't complete the updates, Undoing changes". Then it'll reboot again, say that line about not completing the updates, then finish booting. After it boots, some of the updates got applied, but others didn't. I can repeat this process to apparently finish installing all the updates, but they'll show up again a few days later. What the hell's going on?

Attempted fixes: Ran the Windows Update fixer tool.

Recent changes: None I can think of.

--

Operating system: Windows 8.1 Pro x64.

System specs: Yoga 2 Pro, Core i5-4200, 4 GB RAM.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Googled; don't see a FAQ anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Favonius
Nov 28, 2014

The first thing I'd try is going into the Windows Update menu in the control panel and installing 1 or 2 updates at a time. So uncheck the all of them but the top 1 or 2, install them then reboot, and repeat until they are all installed or you find the one that won't install. Usually it's just 1 update in the group of them that won't install and it prevents the rest from installing (Windows is dumb).

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Well, they all installed individually. Two of them (KB3015696 and KB3022345) claimed to have failed installation, but weren't on the list after rebooting. WTF.

Favonius
Nov 28, 2014

That sounds like Windows alright.

Assuming those updates stay gone you should be good. My guess would be KB3015696 and KB3022345 were trying to be installed when they shouldn't have been, it's something I've seen before at least. If you wanted to be thorough you can try and download the updates directly from their KB articles and see if they will install (KB3015696 & KB3022345). I personally wouldn't bother unless they show up again and continue to fail to install.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Alright, thanks. I could've sworn I did something similar when this problem first cropped up a couple weeks back, but who knows.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I'm still having the issue where updates will fail either immediately or during the time before the login screen. The updates don't actually fail, however. While I'm glad they're installing, it does cause the update process to take at least twice as long. What can I do to try to resolve this?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

You're not dual-booting, right? There was a recent Windows Update that would crap out and do the whole "Undoing Changes" thing if you were using something other than the Windows bootloader.

Assuming that's not the case, you could try running the Microsoft automated tool for fixing Windows Updates:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/gp/windows-update-issues/en-us

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I'm not dual-booting. I had run some Microsoft automated fix, but I guess not that one, since that found and fixed three problems. However, the issue persists.

Malcolm
May 11, 2008
I don't suppose you have an error code or anything? If it just freezes at a certain % then I don't really have any specific advice, except my boilerplate windows update fix which is to delete the cache and try again. Works about half the time. If you get a specific error code then obviously google it and find something like http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-update-error-80246005#1TC=windows-7

Deleting the windows update cache (at your own risk of course)
code:
1) Stop the Windows Update Service if it is running
     a) Windows+R and input "services.msc"
     b) Double-click "Windows Update" from the list of services, and click Stop if it is running
2) Navigate to C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution
     a) Open C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download folder and delete everything
     b) Open C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore and delete the file named "DataStore.edb"
3) Reboot your computer
4) Run Windows Update again, note any error messages
If it continues to get stuck at a certain percentage... it's much harder to troubleshoot without more details from the Even Log. I've seen this a few times with Win 8.1 updates, especially on domain-joined company machines that have WSUS or GPO limiting certain updates. It's possible to get a condition where you need a .NET framework 3.5 or 4.5 patch for a security update, but you don't actually have the previous requirement installed. This probably doesn't apply to a personal, non-domain joined laptop.

e: Event Log (Windows+R -> compmgmt.msc -> Event Viewer -> Windows Logs -> System -> find the timestamp and error code, details of your windows update failure)

Malcolm fucked around with this message at 07:21 on May 22, 2015

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
The error (at least this time) is 800f0922. I've done a little googling and found this technet thread. The first few suggestions were things I've already tried (the automated tool, rebooting and trying again). I renamed the SoftwareDistribution folder as mentioned in the linked article near the end of the thread (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910336) and I'm about to restart after the first update (something for IE 11).

Edit: That update applied fine while Windows was running, but had the same "We couldn't complete the updates..." message during the reboot. The update's no longer in the list of important updates.

Edit 2: The rest of the important updates that were listed at the time installed fine. However, there's now a new one (KB3015696) that fails (before rebooting), again with code 800F0922. Currently running sfc /scannow.

Edit again: sfc finished, still the same issue.

hooah fucked around with this message at 13:28 on May 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malcolm
May 11, 2008
Hmm, sorry I'm not familiar with 800f0922. Renaming the SoftwareDistribution folder is a good idea, I've read that renaming "C:\Windows\System32\catroot2" can help as well, but I've personally not had success with it. I don't really know what else to try other than looking at specific articles regarding KB3015696 such as https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3015696.

This person (page 4 of the thread) says they fixed an Error Code 800f0922 by disabling Secure Boot, but it is for a different KB and this solution seems rather unlikely. At this point it's just googling for threads regarding your KB and/or 800f0922.
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...m=1432442989188

• Locked thread