Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost
I'm on Win32.

Thought I could do a format shift with AAC using FFMpeg and ended up surprised, frustrated, and spending two hours finding out that nothing works because all public builds of ffmpeg don't have aac encoder options enabled, and cannot be publicly distributed. Even the ones that are supposed to be freeware. The only option is the built in one, which apparently sucks.

I found a bunch of posts talking about how easy it is to compile ffmpeg yourself on Linux. I don't have Linux, so I can't compile my own, and don't wish to spend more hours on it.

Does anyone encode to aac for sound when using ffmpeg? If so, are you just compiling your own ffmpeg to do this? Or are you using the built in one? Or is there something I'm completely missing?

I haven't been this frustrated and confused on something like this for a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
1. Are you SURE you want to encode to AAC?

2. Maybe use the Nero encoder instead, FFmpeg sucks pretty badly in terms of quality anyway.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
I use QAAC. Are you just working with audio or are you just talking about the audio tracks of a video you're working on?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Alereon posted:

FFmpeg sucks pretty badly in terms of quality anyway.

What?

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
Its AAC encoders are certainly not the most highly recommended.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Oh I'm not all that familiar with the audio side of things in ffmpeg. Its just a bag of open source encoders.

https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/Encode/AAC

http://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=AAC_encoders

Doesn't seem like its the worst.

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost

gary oldmans diary posted:

I use QAAC. Are you just working with audio or are you just talking about the audio tracks of a video you're working on?

Audio track on a video. I thought I needed AAC for the streaming server, but it turns out I was wrong about it supporting MP3 so I just used that. :P

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
Is there an encoding megathread?
Every time I look at Doom9 I see something like a (still) stickied megathread on Auto Gordian Knot and lose all hope at ever being able to tell what is current and recommended and what ancient things people are inexplicably coasting with and still recommending settings on.

I want to improve my process.
Right now my start to finish for backing up something from disc would approximately be:
  1. Rip: MakeMKV
    1. Add chapter names from disc
    2. Label commentary tracks
  2. Make SRT Subtitles: Subtitle Extractor
    1. From disc or if from the MKV then with MKVExtractGUI2
    2. SRT Spellcheck and search for multiple italic sections erroneously in a single line (regular expression: <i>.*<i>) in Notepad++
  3. Encode Video: Handbrake (usually processing on a folder queue)
    1. Audio: Passthrough
    2. Automatic crop, Anamorphic: Loose, Modulus 16; High Advanced Video Settings, Constant Quality, Decomb if interlaced, Detelecine and reduce constant framerate to 23.976 if there are repeated frames, Denoise: NLMeans (most recently: 2.0:0.85:7:3:2:0)
  4. Encode Audio and finish: MKVtoMP4
    1. Again, specify constant framerate
    2. Add SRT
    3. Look up metadata, save a cover
    4. Photoshop cover: Denoise filter, History brush facial features and hair, select areas that should be a flat color and use Average filter, color correct, save, add cover to MKVtoMP4
    5. Audio: Pause before encoding to AAC
    6. When paused during encode, examine wav for anomalous single-sample peaks in Audacity
    7. If video audio has a hissing background noise, find a clean 1 second section of it, export sample as wav with FFMPEG, have SoX use the sample to denoise the video WAV
    8. Continue MKVtoMP4 encoding
  5. Use appropriate metadata program to generate an NFO for batch file sorting by category or rating

I want to say I've gotten some handle on what I'm doing, but I'm making poor/no use of video filters for artifact removal or color correction, haven't used any other x264 frontends (I'm thinking MeGUI is something I should look at) and don't know a thing about commercial motion-compensated video denoisers.

gary oldmans diary fucked around with this message at 19:57 on May 9, 2015

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Shaocaholica posted:

Oh I'm not all that familiar with the audio side of things in ffmpeg. Its just a bag of open source encoders.
FFmpeg is a bundle of the worst available, lowest-common-denominator encoders, usually based on some ugly reference code. The output quality is so drat bad it's nearly unusable. What kind of sources are you encoding, and what are you wanting to end up with? The workflow for anime is pretty different than film, which is very different from video.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Alereon posted:

FFmpeg is a bundle of the worst available, lowest-common-denominator encoders, usually based on some ugly reference code. The output quality is so drat bad it's nearly unusable.

x264, x265, prores_ks, etc. aren't considered bad.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Shaocaholica posted:

x264, x265, prores_ks, etc. aren't considered bad.
So when I say "FFmpeg" I'm talking about the framework it uses, libavcodec. You can certainly plug in your own libraries and get acceptable results, and for formats libavcodec doesn't support where you're forced to use a better library you will also get better results.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Alereon posted:

What kind of sources are you encoding, and what are you wanting to end up with?
Generally what I back up to put on my network server are
SD film television comedies that I appreciate just fine at 480p, but use more aggressive noise reduction for and lower the constant quality. Particularly interested in how to use more aggressively accurate detelecine and decomb settings than the drop-down default values (the nondescript decomb setting "bob" resulted in numerous scene changes that looked like 111111111212222222 from scene 1 to scene 2 and failed to detect interlacing in many dark scenes) and ensuring that frame server filters are applied in the order optimal for quality which I can't verify at all in Handbrake.
HD video where the key interest is reducing the bitrate to where loss of detail would be readily apparent from still frame comparisons, but still not artifacting, smudging important details like facial features and hair highlights, and detracting from the viewing.

Step 1 is Am I using the best tools for the job?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Alereon posted:

So when I say "FFmpeg" I'm talking about the framework it uses, libavcodec. You can certainly plug in your own libraries and get acceptable results, and for formats libavcodec doesn't support where you're forced to use a better library you will also get better results.

Well other than the shittier codecs in libavcodec(which I don't think many people use), ffmpeg is a pretty good CLI tool with a good set of included codecs and for most uses(h.264, pjpeg, prores, HEVC) I don't see any major issues. Not the greatest for an end user who's not going to touch a shell but its indispensable to a lot of industry.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Out of curiosity, did the forking of FFmpeg to Libav actually change anything important or improve the quality of the encoders contained therein? I haven't followed it in quite a while but I always got the impression that the decision to fork the project was more over political issues than technical ones.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

RZApublican posted:

Out of curiosity, did the forking of FFmpeg to Libav actually change anything important or improve the quality of the encoders contained therein? I haven't followed it in quite a while but I always got the impression that the decision to fork the project was more over political issues than technical ones.

This might help: https://lwn.net/Articles/607591/

It is currently sitting back in Debian: https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=ffmpeg

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 03:05 on May 10, 2015

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

gary oldmans diary posted:

ensuring that frame server filters are applied in the order optimal for quality which I can't verify at all in Handbrake.
Serving frames from Avisynth to FFMPEG seems like the next step for my transcodes. This looks like everything I would want to implement Avisynth filters. I just need to find out how to actually set that up and which filters are most effective.

So back to Avisynth probably a decade after shirking off Avisynth as too complicated to get started with.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
i found this github project https://github.com/jb-alvarado/media-autobuild_suite

it downloads and compiles ffmpeg for you and you can select all the non free codecs

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost

Perplx posted:

i found this github project https://github.com/jb-alvarado/media-autobuild_suite

it downloads and compiles ffmpeg for you and you can select all the non free codecs

I tried this and it appears to have worked. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
What's the best way to save small sections of lossless video to carefully compare video filter results?

• Locked thread