Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Glazius posted:

So the divine language is an elder god, literally.

Yeah, Iona is the evidence proving those crazy rear end stories from the Heirophant.
Which is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

Gildiss posted:

Yeah, Iona is the evidence proving those crazy rear end stories from the Heirophant.
Which is awesome.

So, I gotta ask, before I accidentally spoil something, are you going to lp Summoner 2 (which would be awesome by the way)?

Cause I'm afraid if I talk about Iona I might forget what goes where and slightly spill the beans.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

mauman posted:

So, I gotta ask, before I accidentally spoil something, are you going to lp Summoner 2 (which would be awesome by the way)?

Cause I'm afraid if I talk about Iona I might forget what goes where and slightly spill the beans.

I never actually got around to playing Summoner 2 so don't have any plans to go ahead with that. I'd say if it fits with what we have covered so far but would spoil Summoner 2 bits. Just put the Summoner 2 bits in spoiler tags.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Nah, I changed my mind. Maybe you will play Summoner 2 (never know right?) and I wouldn't want to be "that guy".

mauman fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jun 21, 2015

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
So I just got the Siege Bow on my first random encounter in the hills.
To anyone that knows what this means, I'm sorry.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Gildiss posted:

So I just got the Siege Bow on my first random encounter in the hills.
To anyone that knows what this means, I'm sorry.

Cool. It took me 10 reloads to get the right map when I was actively looking for it....which is actually not that bad now that I think about it.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Part 8 - The Catacombs, AKA Skeleton Party

Alright, time for our first cool dungeon, the Iona Catacombs.

It has a nice atmospheric soundtrack.

Soundtrack - Iona Catacombs
*Actual interesting music begins around 2:30*

I was also a little unfair with our new friend, Blackfire Elemental.
He has some utility to him, and it will come in useful in this dungeon.
He comes with 3 spells. Blind, Fire Arrow, and Dark Wall.

He is the only one in the game that can cast Dark Wall, it looks pretty cool, and I think it can cause any debilitation such as Curse, Blind, and Silence.
Though I am not positive on that. Curse makes enemies take more damage, always good, and is a level 10 holy spell. So, it's cool that he can do that. Just don't let anything hit him.

Though things can get a bit out of hand with a Blackfire Elemental running around.
He can also run fast as hell, if you control him and go full speed he can run outside of his summon range and unsummon himself by leaving Joseph in the dust.
He comes with some nice chain attacks that he will belt out to, including Silence.

Which comes in handy against the numerous undead mages down here. One punch from the Blackfire and the mages have to resort to uselessly trying to slap us with their brittle nerd paws.

They also have a cool death animation.

The undead down here have some really neat designs, like this 3 armed guy.

This rendering is the model used for the archer variants.

These are the melee guys, the one in the middle is obviously the coolest.
He has skulls for shoulders, a dragon skull for a fist, and two heads. He also hits like a truck.
There is a metric fuckton of skeletons down here you guys.

All in all, this is a really cool looking dungeon. It opens up into a big cavern further in.

We eventually reach a fork in the road. The middle path is our ultimate goal, so let's go for it.

Knight of the Order of Iona?

Sir Erthgi of Iona: I am finder of the books of Vorhannen, slayer of the fell sorceress Ursahla, and wanderer of the Gehemene Marches! I serve none other than Carados the Builder!

Sir Erthgi was among the knights who vanished with Sir Carados. He would have died centuries ago!

Sir Carados?

Sir Erthgi of Iona: Aye, but you'll go no further, unless you unravel the enchantment of this place.

Unravel the enchantment?

Sir Erthgi of Iona: The riddle of the spheres! For upon their pedestals they sit: two dark suns, their life extinguished.

Basically, we need to go down the two other paths. This one has a bridge covered in archers. Kind of a pain since all the undead down here are resistant to Flece's weapon of choice.

Once the orbs are clicked (Some riddle) they glow and look cool. We also pick up some useful stuff.

With the new dagger, we have just about every element covered now for exploiting weaknesses energy, fire, and ice. This is also the third and final glass shard.

Back at the center path after having interacted with the spheres...

The way forward is now opened to us! And we find something we did not expect.

Carados Lives

By the blood of Urath! It's Sir Carados!

Sir Carados: I am Vadagar, God of the Khosani. Consort of Doomed Iona.

Sir Carados: Who dares violate the tomb of my queen?!

He's gone mad! He thinks he's a god!

poo poo, Rosalind. We knew he was mad, the fact that he is still walking around after a couple centuries is the bigger shocker maybe? Also...

Books
Not even once.

I forgot to mention. When I unlocked trip on Flece, I instantly maxed it out. Sir Carados spends this fight on his rear end.

All two stabs of it. It would have been quicker, but he is very resistant to piercing! :argh:

He also has an even cooler death animation than the mages.

We get this nice sword from him. Joseph will switch to this unless we run into some fire heavy foes.

We also find the Ring of Light, though I neglected to even remember to check out the Mist Elemental. We will get to it later.

We also found a revive scroll laying where Carados was standing, this must be Iona and Vadagar desperately wanted to bring her back to life, but nothing would work.

Speaking of Vadagar and the Catacombs in general, this place is really weird for catacombs. Let's have a different perspective.

So, the catacombs are the remains of the giant 3 headed serpent god Vadagar, his center head focused intently on Iona's resting place.
This trip to Iona has basically confirmed that the crazy rear end stories about the creation of the world are all 100% fact.
Which means...

Remember the old bigot grandpa from the docks?

Samael: Ask the monks about the island. They say Vadagar himself lies buried in this rock. If that's true, then I've got Laharah in my bum.

Evil Goddesses? In my anus?
It's more likely than you think. Get your prostate checked annually.

On our way out, I remember there is a somewhat hidden chamber when you first arrive at the cavernous part, it holds an armor upgrade that would have been useful if I had remembered it, damnit!

Joseph sporting our grave robbing spoils.

Rosalind got something out of it as well, this robe gives her an extra point to Holy, which is pretty useless. And she will never again wield a melee weapon. Hooray!

Yes.

Novice Sama: To whom did you give the book?

Brother Morhan.

Novice Sama: Brother Morhan? He's a good soul, and I trust he'll return it to the library. Did you tell him who gave you the book?

No.

Novice Sama: Thank you, wanderer. You have kept your word. Now I must go to my lesson. Mother Eghane will be furious with me!

Give him the axe. :black101:

Brother Wid: For bringing me the Axe of King Ikus, I give you this reward.

We get a ring of health that gives +30 hp, which goes straight to Rosalind for obvious reasons. Did you know? Monsters can chain attack as well, and they do so incredibly often on Rosalind. Like she gets butchered in seconds.
We then depart to make our way back to Lenele.

We are interrupted along the way though.

Looks like one of Murod's four riders has found us.

This is the Ghost Rider. He summons skeletons, which are just as durable and potent as any others we have faced. Take too long and this will be a loss.
It's also not wise to use any summons in this battle, it can be too chaotic, take too long to cast, and he looses his maximum and current health when he summons, and when they die he only regains his maximum. (Thanks Disco Infiva)

Once a certain amount of damage has been dealt, the rider dismounts.

And summons his dual scythe with fiery bravado.

:iia:

Bad news for him though. When he dismounts, he can now be tripped...

Which leads to his instant defeat.

He wisely mounts up and retreats.

Trip + Backstab is going to be a recurring theme of the boss fights, if you haven't noticed yet.

Gildiss fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Sep 13, 2015

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

I'm pretty sure Joseph doesn't actually loose any health when his summons die. He looses his maximum and current health when he summons, and when they die he only regains his maximum.

For example Joseph has 200/200 HP, summons a dude and now has 175/175 HP, that dude dies and now he has 175/200 HP, needing to heal the rest.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Trip (or paralyze, or sleep) + backstab is going to be your go-to for most things, not just bosses :shepface:

Rosalind loves to cast freeze on opponents once you unlock it, bless her heart.

Fleece is the best character in the game when it comes to sheer killing potential, which is REALLY impressive considering she's forced to use the worst weapons (one-handed swords and daggers).

Disco Infiva posted:

I'm pretty sure Joseph doesn't actually loose any health when his summons die. He looses his maximum and current health when he summons, and when they die he only regains his maximum.

For example Joseph has 200/200 HP, summons a dude and now has 175/175 HP, that dude dies and now he has 175/200 HP, needing to heal the rest.

Correct. Joseph doesn't lose health, this was an error in the manual and some people started spouting it off as truth without checking first.

Each summon DOES temporarily remove a portion of his max health. The percentage is based on which summon you use. Some take as much as 50%. If the summon dies or is banished on your watch, the max portion is returned in full.

Also, I don't think enemies can actually chain attacks. Rosalind going down like that has more to do with the fact that spell casting can get interrupted, firing bows becomes impossible in melee (but archer-enemies get a bow melee attack, the cheating bastards), and that she has the defense of a wet noodle.

Could be wrong though.

mauman fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jun 26, 2015

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

mauman posted:

Also, I don't think enemies can actually chain attacks. Rosalind going down like that has more to do with the fact that spell casting can get interrupted, firing bows becomes impossible in melee (but archer-enemies get a bow melee attack, the cheating bastards), and that she has the defense of a wet noodle.

Could be wrong though.

What I saw was the skeleton punching her rapid fire, like one after the other and she just sat there.
Every skeleton. It was brutal.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Gildiss posted:

What I saw was the skeleton punching her rapid fire, like one after the other and she just sat there.
Every skeleton. It was brutal.

Yup, not disagreeing with you that that is happening (cause it does), but I think it's because her AI is dumb as a rock and she's trying to do spells or use a bow. Also theirs a quirk with her staff animation - it's longer than a normal staff strike. It too might be interruptible, but I haven't tested it.

This only seems to happen to Rosalind :shepicide:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Kind of awesome that our second proper dungeon was the corpse of an ancient mythical creature, or part of it, anyway.

How competent is the AI for the characters you're not directly controlling? Are there any settings to guide it or does it just do whatever seems like a good idea based on the options it has?

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

PurpleXVI posted:

Kind of awesome that our second proper dungeon was the corpse of an ancient mythical creature, or part of it, anyway.

How competent is the AI for the characters you're not directly controlling? Are there any settings to guide it or does it just do whatever seems like a good idea based on the options it has?

There are some AI scripts you can give them like melee, support, caster, healer and caster/healer IIRC. They are nothing special, just there for the AI to do something like attack and cast low impact spells. If you want your characters to do something bigger, then you need to take control.

mauman posted:

Correct. Joseph doesn't lose health, this was an error in the manual and some people started spouting it off as truth without checking first.

Each summon DOES temporarily remove a portion of his max health. The percentage is based on which summon you use. Some take as much as 50%. If the summon dies or is banished on your watch, the max portion is returned in full.

Could be wrong though.

There is one late game summon that I'm pretty sure takes more than 50% health. It's such a huge HP drain that you shouldn't put Joseph even near the front lines, he gets wasted instantly and then his summon goes berserk.

And enemies can chain attack if you enable AI to do it in options. AI controlled characters would then do it too.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Dammit, nobody in our party is one of those... book users, are they? I hear they'll stab a man in the back just to get a few new pages.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Glazius posted:

Dammit, nobody in our party is one of those... book users, are they? I hear they'll stab a man in the back just to get a few new pages.

I... I think Rosalind might be literate. Someone should have a talk with her. Maybe plan an intervention before it's too late.
The rest are for sure absolutely incapable of reading.

Skelicopter
Feb 19, 2013

More like Prince Alarming
The three-headed god labyrinth is even cooler for the fact that - unless I remember incorrectly, I last played this game 10 years ago - it's never explicitly spelled out. There are a few in-dialogue hints, and then the player is left to look at the map layout and figure it out for themselves.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Part 9 - Return to Lenele

Return to Lenele

The King's army, under the command of the Duke of Tarnimun, marched north to engage the Orenian foe.

Terrified villagers fled to the capital seeking refuge behind the stone walls of Lenele.

These northerners told harrowing tales the four riders. Of entire villages put to the sword. Of omens of ill fortune and a cruel winter ahead.

We have returned to Lenele to report our success to Yago. This is a shot of the palace by the way, a cool looking design.

We found it in Iona's tomb.

Yago: Then you have only to find the Ring of Stone and the Ring of Fire. We were beginning to fear the riders had captured you.

What do you mean by 'we'?

*Yago gestures toward the massive oak doors.*

Yago: Your presence is required in the great hall. You have an audience with the royal family.

What did you tell them?

Yago: Sornehan has many spies, secrets do not hide for long in the palace. What's done is done.

Do you trust them?

Yago: No, of course not. *Yago replies sharply* And you would be wise to tread carefully. But we are all united against a common enemy. The king will be able to help us.

*Yago turns to Flece and Rosalind.*

Yago: Welcome back to Lenele, Flece, but who is your companion? A novice of the Order, I see.

*Rosalind smirks.*

Here it comes. :allears:

I am amazed that you don't remember me, Brother Yago.

Yago: You are kind to address me thus, but I surrendered the privileges of that title long ago. I imagine I had left the monastery before you were even born. How do you know me?

We have never met, but you knew my mother.

Yago: *Yago frowns.* Indeed? What was her name?

Ursanne of Toraden.

*The blood drains from Yago's face.*

Yago: For me, that is a name of sorrow and longing. The Abbot sent you here to torment me.

You dare speak of torment? *Rosalind seethes with sudden anger.* As if you suffered more than she did? You abandoned her! If the gods are not dead, they are vicious and cruel. If there was anyone more unworthy of the summoner's power-

Yago: Worse people than Joseph have been born with the mark, that I assure you!

*Yago retorts coldly, raising his voice to silence her. The old man closes his eyes, as if crushed under the burden of memory.*

Yago: I cannot blame you for hating me, but Ursanne understood my sacrifice. Perhaps in time you will understand as well.

*Rosalind shakes her head in disgust.*

I have promised the Abbot to offer my help, but do not presume to ask for my understanding.

Yago: I'm afraid we must defer this matter for the time being, when the emperor is defeated. Accuse me of any crime you wish. But we mustn't keep the king waiting. Follow me.

Sick burns all around, now we know where she gets it from. Only Flece was unharmed, must have been sneaking.

Yes, your majesty.

King Bellias: I understand you now have the Rings of Darkness and Light in your possession. Is this true?

Yes, your majesty.

King Bellias: If we were not at war, we would commit a hundred knights to your cause. As our counselors have so sagely advised, however, we mustn't call attention to your quest. We have therefore chose a warrior in our service to help you. His name is Jekhar, and you will find him quite capable.

Jekhar

King Bellias: Jekhar, you may enter.

Awkward...

King Bellias: Jekhar, this is Joseph of Masad. Born with the mark of the summoner.

King Bellias: You have been chosen to help him fulfill his destiny and defeat the Emperor Murod.

Your majesty, from me you demand the impossible. I'm needed to fight the Orenians. I came to Lenele by your command, but I must now return to battle.

King Bellias: How dare you speak to your king with such impudence! If I say you shall die a thousand deaths for this man, then you shall die a thousand deaths!

King Bellias: Are you so full of pride that you believe the fate of the Medevan army rests on your sword?

Forgive me, your majesty. But I know this boy is Joseph of Ciran. His gift destroyed my village and massacred my family nine years ago.

King Bellias: What are you saying?

All know the story of the Demon of Ciran. And here is the boy that called that demon forth. Nothing remains of our village, not a stone left standing. Joseph could not control his power, and the people of Ciran perished.

King Bellias: If this is true, Yago, why were we not informed?

Yago: Your majesty, Jekhar's account is true. As a child, Joseph lacked the strength to control the beings he summoned. And thus, Ciran was destroyed. But, Joseph is older now and prepared to master his power.

Queen Galienne: Nevertheless, it is not a soldier's place to question the wishes of his king. Though your desire for revenge may be honorable, you must forego vengeance for the greater good of our kingdom. If you are a true subject of the King of Medeva, you have no choice in the matter.

Hmph, where have I heard that before?

Forgive my impudence, your majesty. Your will shall be done.

King Bellias: Yes, it shall. Though we find this news most disturbing. I pray you are right, Yago. For the sake of us all.

Yago: Joseph will not fail you, your majesty.

Power to stop him?

Queen Galienne: In the legends of Ikaemos, the Priest-King Armun used a Ring of Stone to wage war against the river god. He is the first of the summoners, but none have ever found his ring.

What is Ikaemos?

Queen Galienne: A fallen empire whose golden age marked the end of the Chaos of Ten Thousand Years. They worshipped the river god Ikaemos, who sank their empire into a swamp.

Sank the empire?

Queen Galienne: The river god demanded a living sacrifice: the children of the empire. Armun and his people rebelled against him, and so they were destroyed.

How do we find Ikaemos?

Queen Galienne: The swamps are treacherous, and you will never find Armun's palace without a map. I regret we cannot help you, but I know of someone in Lenele who can. If anyone would know where to find a map of Ikaemos, it would be Tancred, the Prince of Beggars.

Time to pay Uncle Tancred another visit. Also, looks like Sornehan has a sword of spirits like we do. He also looks very upstanding and innocent.

Murod's dark magic?

Prince Sornehan: Murod mastered the lost arts of the 'Nhuvasarim' the evil sorcerers of Laharah, who found in death and despair the source of their power. Only the rings you seek can stop him now. Have you learned where the rings might be found?

We will ask the Khosani.

Prince Sornehan: Ah, the people of Vadagar! The Khosani are ruled by the Ulsadana, a name that means 'Queen', 'Mother', and 'Priestess'. They are a proud race, and you would be prudent not to anger them.

How do you know this?

Prince Sornehan: I too studied at Iona, though I never completed my training. I was born to help my brother rule, not to lose my head in books. You may need my help if you wish to enter Saanavarh. The Khosani are suspicious of outsiders, and they will not allow strangers within the walls of their stronghold.

Why not?

Prince Sornehan: When the knights of Iona quested for the divine words of the gods, they robbed Saanavarh of its sacred scrolls. Now the Khosani greet visitors with the utmost suspicion.

How will we get in?

Prince Sornehan: Go to the high temple of Urath, and find the Heirophant. Ask him for the Blade of Tarun. He will be expecting you. The dagger was a gift from the Ulsadana to our great-great-grandfather. The Khosani will know the King of Medeva sends the one who wields this blade.

At last, we get our final party member, Jekhar. He hits things good. That's about it.
He and Joseph will be our caveman brute squad. Almost always on AI autopilot clubbing things to death while I Flece around and obliterate everything else.

I'm going to run around as Jekhar for the rest of this update, because this will be the main time he ever gets selected. Have to throw him a bone, right?

Soundtrack - Temple of Urath 1

We seek the Blade of Tarun.

Heirophant: Ah, so you are the child of prophecy? I give to you the Blade of Tarun. For generations, the heirophants of Urath have guarded this dagger, a symbol of the Medevan kings and their friendship with the people of Saanavarh.

It looks badass, too bad Flece can't use it.

Osaan?

Lord Ammund: is a holding of the high temple, and I am a vassal of the order. Though other knights and lords swear fealty to the king, I am bound by oath to the heirophant of the temple.

Oath?

Lord Ammund: We have sworn to defend the temple against its enemies. We guard the strongholds of the order, and we march to war under the banner of Urath.

War?

Lord Ammund: With its vassals and freeswords, the temple commands an army that rivals the host of any lord. The true power of the order isn't the Eternal Rite but its swords and lances.

Here is a better view of the Temple of Urath.

Prelate?

Prelate: I am the temple's envoy to the court of King Bellias. In the name of the heirophant, I offer counsel to the king.

Counsel?

Prelate: The High Temple has more land than any lord and five thousand lances to defend it. Without the Urathi, the king would not be king. The heirophant of the Order of Urath crowns the King of Medeva, and he rules by our mandate.

Crown?

Prelate: The princes of the Rhunari are descendents and heirs of the god Urath. This the heirophant proclaimed six centuries ago, and so the Medevan Conquest began. A three-hundred-year war among the thirteen clans. Though the Rhunari won the crown long ago, the war continues in the hearts of Medeva's lords.

Rhunari?

Prelate: The Rhunari are the people who settled on the banks of the Darhu river, where Lenele stands today. King Bellias is a descendant of their princes.

Do you have a sister named Miala?

Amas the theologian: My sister Miala is dead. How is it you know her name?

She is a monk of Iona.

Amas the theologian: Iona? She drowned in the Khadim over twenty years ago. Have you been sent by those heretics to mock my grief?

Tell the story she told you.

*Amas listens intently as you recount Miala's tale of fleeing the palace of Aaduk and sailing to Sirune, of the ship's capture by pirates and how they hurled her overboard as an offering to their gods.

Amas the theologian: This story is true. These things happened as you describe them, but I cannot go to Iona.

Cannot go to Iona?

Amas the theologian: I am a priest of the High Temple of Urath. I can no sooner go to Iona than she can leave her island. The priests of Urath may never set foot on those shores.

Why not?

Amas the theologian: The monks of Iona fear our priesthood. The Order will not allow us to visit the island, even as friends or brothers. They are afraid we will try to silence them as we have silenced other heresies. If you return to the monastery, however, there is something you could do for me.

What can we do?

Amas the theologian: Give Miala this necklace. It had once belonged to our mother who was a counselor of Prince Aaduk. She will remember it. Tell her I am sorry I cannot see her.

I am simply too entrenched in this koolaid to visit my only sister.

Soundtrack - Lenele Marketplace

I have volume 67.

Zefnat the scholar: Splendid! Not since the Eigth Synod of Tolana has there been a complete set of this work! Now here's your reward. Leave me to my studies, please.

Then again, maybe all this heresies stuff isn't so unfounded.

I'm listening.

Torvel: My name is Torvel, leader of the accursed troupe of actors you see around you.

Why are you accursed?

Yeah, why is that? Joseph hasn't met you yet.

Torvel: I thought all of Lenele knew of our troubles with the King's master of revels!

Sorry, I'm from out of town.

Torvel: During our last performance in the palace, some accidental damage ensued.

What sort of damage?

Torvel: Well, the lanterns were overturned, tapestries burnt, and the master's eyebrows were singed.

And he held that against you?

Torvel: Indeed he has, beyond all reason. We cannot perform in the palace ever again he says.

How can I help you?

Torvel: Plead our case with him. He won't speak with us, but perhaps you can reach him.

I'd like to discuss Torvel's players.

Master of revels: That pack of vandals? The king still hasn't forgiven me for their last debacle!

How can they make it up to you?

Master of revels: There is no way those ruffians ever could, unless... Hmm, perhaps there is a way. If they're willing to make the effort.

What do they have to do?

Master of revels: The Saavikas, Feast of the Winter Solstice, will be held at Verindal. We could use six stonefire lanterns, but only Krys the lantern maker knows their secret.

I hear you make stonefire lanterns.

Krys the lantern maker: Aye, I do. But there's a problem. Each lantern requires a dram of gargoyle blood, and I', all out.

Gargoyle blood?

Krys the lantern maker: Gargoyles lurk in the ruins of Ikaemos, but you'll never find the palace without a map. Don't know where you'll find a map, but if you fetch me the blood, I'll make those lanterns for you.

Those sound like really badass lanterns.

Things have changed a bit around Lenele since last time. The soldiers have cleared out leaving a trail of bankrupt bar owners in their wake.
There are some new people around town as well, so let's go check things out.

Time to update our list.

Medeva:
Ciran - Destroyed
Masad - Destroyed
Eglin - Destroyed
Burnaan - Burnin
Nahm - Destroyed
Lenele - Active/Bankrupt
Iona - Active

Yup, spirits are soaring in Lenele.

*The Ghimaadi takes the shards from you. She holds each piece of glass up to the light, nodding with approval.*

Varyssa: You've done well. These are indeed shards from the cities of glass. And this, traveler, is my gift to you.

*She presents to you a sword. Sunlight refracts through the translucent blade, casting brilliant hues on her motley-colored dress.*

Varyssa: This is a shard sword. Our people discovered the secret of making them. The Ghimaadi are a blessed people, you see. So strong is this glass, the sword will never break, except by the most powerful magic.

A sweet blade, Joseph is the only one capable of wielding it right now, so he will. As it will quickly become outclassed.
Let's take it out for a spin, as there are new encounters out on the world map at this point.

We now see encounters with Medevan knights battling against Orenian forces.

You can follow them around and even kill them with some tricks, the lower ranked guys will always drop bastard swords.
We find some items that are located on the ground in this map as well. They are one time pickups.

The first two items are quite good for Rosalind. Because she will only be allowed to touch bows.
The lute? Guess we have to find some rear end in a top hat named Torva.

Here is some rear end in a top hat named Torva.

A tale of woe?

Again, Joseph hasn't crossed your path yet. The real woe is yet to come.

Torva: One to break your heart as it has broken mine, kind sir. A tragedy has befallen me. My lute has been stolen. It is not only my livelihood, but my one route to true happiness.

True happiness?

Torva: The Lady Isele, beauty beyond words, has fallen out of love with me for lack of my lute. I have wooed her for years but stand to lose all unless you can recover my lost lute.

Lost lute?

Torva: My lute is magical. In the hands of a bard, it can win any maiden's heart. I was north of the city, picking flowers for my lady, when a band of monsters attacked me.

Monsters?

Torva: I know not what kind. It was dark, and they were many. I escaped but dropped my lute in my haste. If you could find it and return it to me, I would reward you greatly.

Pfft. Reward us greatly. :jerkbag: How many times have we heard that to get 150g?
Well, we found his lute under a pile of skeletons. Let's see how much his Lady Isele is worth to him.

Torva: Have you found my lute and delivered me from despair?

Yes.

Torva: Praise the gods and your skills, friend! All the gold I have is yours for this rescue!

*Party received 125,000 gold*

:signings:

With new funding in hand, we go to Tancred's and acquire Flece's best weapon for quite some time.

We also find out the super secret location of Ikaemos palace.
The apothecary dude knows it.

Apothecary: Off to plunder the Priest-Kings' treasure, are you? In the swamps of southeastern Medeva you'll find their palace, but you'll have to fight bactites and gorgonnes. Still, if you want a map, I'll sell you one.

We'll buy the map.

Apothecary: That's 10 gold.

:10bux: is all it took in the end.

Prince Sornehan?

The guy with the goatee, dressed in all black armor, trained in the dark arts? That the one?

Carcela: The King's brother! Drego had a scheme to blackmail Sornehan, and now I fear it's gone terribly wrong.

A scheme to blackmail Sornehan?

Carcela: Drego found a boy who is the mirror image of the dead Prince Yon. The fourth son of Bellias and Galienne. He died six years ago. Fell from the tower of Verindal.

Verindal?

Carcela: One of the royal castles. The boy liked to climb on walls and things. Like a monkey he was until he fell. Drego's boy looked so much like the dead prince, Drego cooked up a scheme to blackmail Sornehan.

Blackmail Sornehan?

Carcela: Everyone thinks Sornehan is the one who killed the four princes. To keep the line of succession open, they say. So Drego was going to tell Sornehan, 'I have a boy who looks just like Prince Yon. If you don't pay me gold, I'll have him tell everyone that you pushed him off the tower.'

Pushed the prince?

Carcela: Aye, many people saw the prince fall, but the lad didn't die right away. He suffered for three days until Laharah came for him. That's what everyone believes. But if Sornehan didn't pay, Drego was going to tell the people of Medeva a different story.

A different story?

Carcela: That the boy was spirited away by friends who feared for his life, and the casket they buried was an empty one. Drego would say the lad he found was the real Prince Yon. And this Prince Yon could name the man who tried to kill him, unless Sornehan were to pay Drego a pile of gold. All Drego needed was some proof.

Proof?

Carcela: Something that would convince people that Drego's boy is really the prince, like the amulet Prince Yon used to wear. If Drego had the amulet, then they'd think the boy was really the prince.

Yon's amulet?

Carcela: Drego hired one of Tancred's cutpurses to steal it from the palace. Then Drego said he was going to talk to Sornehan. No one's seen him since! He's at the bottom of the Darhu for all I know.

Hey, I'm standing right here!

Note to self, blackmailing an evil sorcerer royal willing to kill his relatives is not a 'clever plan'.

Muthavi?

Muthavi Captain: The crown of the Galadian archipelago! The Muthavi have sailed to the furthest edge of the world and back!

Tell him about Sister Qelah.

Muthavi Captain: I'll set course for Iona at once. If I filled my ship with gold, it'd not be worth the reward I'd get for returning Tirasa's daughter to the Muthavi! Here's your share my friends.

Note: Our share is 250xp. :flaccid:

We make our way back to Iona to report the good news.

*You give Miala the necklace that had belonged to her mother. She listens as you relate what Amas said in the temple: He cannot travel to Iona, just as she cannot leave the island.

Sister Miala the Iomani: I find solace knowing that Amas is still alive, but my brother is right. We have chosen paths that may never cross. For my mother's necklace, you shall be rewarded.

Sister Llio: Qelah asked me to give you this gift.

We get a ring of proficiency that gives +10ap. This is 2 more back stabs for Flece so it goes to her.

We now depart for Ikaemos swamp. Next time.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
The faces in this game are just great.

I think King Bellias will betray the party, he has a name to do it. And the face to match, his looks exceptionally evil.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

"You're asking about the Sword of Prophecy? You must be The One! Have the Sword of Prophecy"

"Shouldn't I prove that I'm The O-"

"PROPHECY!

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Gildiss posted:

No, you shut the gently caress up DAD!

Also, Ikaemos is the worst dungeon.

OminousEdge
Apr 4, 2013

FeyerbrandX posted:

"You're asking about the Sword of Prophecy? You must be The One! Have the Sword of Prophecy"

"Shouldn't I prove that I'm The O-"

"PROPHECY!

I'm pretty sure if you told some of these people who are all about Prophecy that you needed to sleep with their daughters to make possible heirs to your power as part of the Prophecy, they'd gladly let you do it.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
Sornehan doesn't seem quite as bad as his rep.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It's amazing how much variation there is in quest rewards.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Welp, the gang is all here.

Jekhar has one unique thing going for him. He has unique weapon based chain attacks - including the best chain attack in the game.

Otherwise he's a one trick pony for (most) of the game.

Skelicopter
Feb 19, 2013

More like Prince Alarming
So many games these days try to make you feel like you're the coolest dude around, and you have to admire Summoner for its sheer determination to poo poo constantly on the game's protagonist.

To the extent that most of his party members actively loathe him.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Skelicopter posted:

So many games these days try to make you feel like you're the coolest dude around, and you have to admire Summoner for its sheer determination to poo poo constantly on the game's protagonist.

To the extent that most of his party members actively loathe him.

That and everyone either knows he is the summoner and stays way the gently caress away or are like 'You're cursed dude' or they just berate the poo poo out of him for being a peasant farmer. It's great.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Part 10 - Ikaemos

Ikaemos

In it's golden age, Ikaemos had been a prosperous realm. But, the glory of the empire came at a terrible price.

To Ikaemos, the river god, the empire sacrificed its children. Drowning them in dark waters swollen with rain.

Until Armun, the last of the Priest-Kings, wore the Ring of Stone. Born with the mark of the summoner, Armun made war against the river god.

And so, the vengeful Ikaemos destroyed Armun's empire. Sinking the realm below a vast swamp.

To save his people from the eternal torment of the drown, Armun changed them into stone.

Soundtrack - Ikaemos Swamp

Here we are in wonderful Ikaemos Swamp. Population 1.5 million bacites.

Seriously there are so many bacites. That puff of smoke behind Flece here is the Mist Elemental from the Ring of Light.

It casts light and lightning, the silence from the Darkfire Elemental is far more useful in this area though.
So, bye Mist elemental.

After wading through the initial areas of the swamp we get to the larger ruins, and the statues of the former citizens of the empire start turning up.

Lots of them.

We even find some priests frozen mid-ritual.

There are gargoyles, like the lantern maker said. They are really durable and deal a good amount of damage.

Thankfully, they are not immune to backstabs, and get taken out instantly. They also drop some nice equipment for us.

This is why it is not necessary to put points into sneak or hide for Flece, all of her equipment gives it to her.

This must be the symbol of the empire, reminds me of Unreal Tournament maps.

Soundtrack - Ikaemos Palace

Moving inside we are greeted by yet more bacites.

I also finally remember to show off Rosalinds assess skill. Gives a detailed read out of anything you use it on, bosses too, maybe.
I haven't put enough points in yet so it always fails for me, but it might work?

Joseph, how many dagger slots can you count in the puzzle statue?

We need to find FOUR, FOUR DAGGERS to open the chamber of Armun. Ah, ah, ah.

The daggers are scattered throughout the upper and lower levels of the dungeon, they don't get very interesting beyond the names.
Auric, Argent, Brazen, and Cupric. Or in more common terms Gold, Silver, Brass, and Copper.

Going through the various rooms we find more statues and wade through oceans of bacites.

There are some new enemies in here though, this is a gorgonne. They can petrify with a bite, turning the victim into stone.

These grey stone golems are pretty tough too, they hit hard but can be bodied by backstab. Backstab rules.

There is also an ugly rear end ghost with something to say.

Why are you still here?

Munorus: I must haunt my place of death until my soul's pain is eased.

What pains your soul?

Munorus: I failed at a task and was put to death by Apaset. The king had commissioned a jeweled necklace as a wedding present for his soon-to-be queen, Vaesura, and entrusted it to my care. The day of the wedding, the necklace vanished.

What happened when the king found out?

Munorus: The king flew into a rage and had me killed!

He sounds like an unpleasant man.

Munorus: Aye. He then had my body chopped to pieces and fed to his dogs.

Very unpleasant.

How can I help you?

Munorus: Recover Queen Vaesura's necklace and bring it to me. The queen had hidden it to discredit me, for she feared my influence over the Priest-King. It lies in a garden long since gone wild.

By this, he means it is outside the palace around a corner.

The lower level of the palace has this boat building / river access area. Filled with bacites, of course.

We find Armun's party barge. For sacrifices on the go.

Upstairs in the lower section we run into a gargoyle and his cohorts, things get a bit dicey, then I have Rosalind try out blizzard.
It kills Joseph and the Darkfire Elemental goes rabid but is also taken out by the blizzard. All of these were positive things.

It also gives me an excuse to use one of our revive scrolls.

This chamber contains the final dagger, and an assload of monsters that all come at once.

Pictured here: Flece and Rosalind statues. Luckily, this form of petrify also makes them immune to damage, but the AI will still attack them.

This entire place is like an Unreal Tournament map, I like it.

We ventured back outside to get the necklace after clearing the lower level. Note: Everytime you zone in this dungeon everything respawns. Too many bacites.

I found the necklace.

Munorus: At last! After centuries of anguish, honor shall be restored to my name. All will speak of Munorus with sorrow in their hearts.

We got 1000xp. So 2 bacite kills. The quest rewards have ceased to scale well at all by this point.

Once we place the daggers into the statue, the door beyond opens up.

Armun is also a statue.

A pissed off statue that can move. Look at his eyes... He is so... tired.

We are unfazed.

He tries to spook us, but we just draw our weapons nonchalantly.
Poor Armun, he was probably waiting for this chance for centuries.

He is facing us alone. Poor guy.

His basic attacks can turn people to stone, he can be tough.

Pictured here: he is immune to backstabs. We are undone.

However, he is not immune to trips. Fight report: Flece tripped him, Jekhar clubbed him to death, forever.

Bosses die with style in this game at least.

A neat throne room. He knocked over his royal guards, probably a century or two into being a statue.

He dropped this sword I will never use, and the Ring of Stone.

The earth poops out our latest summon, the stone golem.

Once he cools off he looks like this. He moves very slowly, has only physical attacks, and can take some damage.
But, he moves so slowly you quickly run beyond his summon range and he disappears. Only good when summoned at the battle, if that.

We finally get the hell out of here. Final bacite tail count: 128. We can still get 50 gold a piece for these back in old city. That is better than nothing.

Soundtrack - Boss Luminar

On our way with our covered wagon full of bacite tails, we are intercepted by another of the four horsemen.

This is the serpent rider.

Every single hit applies a status effect. He is a real pain to fight when Joseph and Rosalind's AI is stuck in a constant chain of cure spells or getting paralyzed themselves.

Jekhar does his job though and he eventually dismounts.

A mistake he soon regrets.

Gildiss fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jul 13, 2015

OminousEdge
Apr 4, 2013
The Priest King here is obvious the best king in the entire game. He got all of his people stoned to keep them from dying

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

OminousEdge posted:

The Priest King here is obvious the best king in the entire game. He got all of his people stoned to keep them from dying

The party barge was working overtime in the final hours of the empire.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
I suppose The Four Riders wordlessly arriving, being beaten and wordlessly leaving could be considered threatening or menacing but it just looks so goofy, especially in a screenshot form. Saying some vague threat would be cliché, but just moping and going to tell on you is really funny, I don't think it's intentional, but who can say.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

So what's the downside of being petrified if a character is invincible while it's on-going? Is it permanent until somehow cured/dispelled or does it just fade away on its own eventually? Do you lose if everyone's petrified at once?

Also kind of disappointed the swamp didn't have more fluff, I was expecting a lot more cool poo poo after the introduction.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

I'm surprised you did Ikaemos first.

Khosani gives you good gear, new shops, and most importantly - The first truly good summon in the game

Was it due to the gargoyle blood quest?

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

mauman posted:

I'm surprised you did Ikaemos first.

Khosani gives you good gear, new shops, and most importantly - The first truly good summon in the game

Was it due to the gargoyle blood quest?

If you weren't moved to tears by Torvel's players after hearing their plight then I don't know what to say. This task takes the utmost priority. Haha

As for the horsemen, the music and seeing it all in motion gives it a completely different feel. And now that I don't have a 14 year old brain I just clown them easily. But when I, and many others, first played they were very challenging.

Paralysis has 2 kinds. The one where you look like a statue gives damage immunity. The other kind like the serpent rider inflicted does not. Both kinds can be cured or simply wait out their duration.

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!
Soooo, you know it's bacite, not bactite, right?

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

MartianAgitator posted:

Soooo, you know it's bacite, not bactite, right?

NOOOOOOOO!!
Holy poo poo I have been seeing that wrong for over a decade. I am dumb.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
That's 6000 gold from tails. Is that a bad number? Like, now you need to buy better healing potions or something?

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense
I've played this game long time ago, and I loved it! It was the PC version, so when the sequel was announced only for console, I was a bit miffed.
Luckily, I've long discovered that it sucked, so no real loss.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Guy Fawkes posted:

I've played this game long time ago, and I loved it! It was the PC version, so when the sequel was announced only for console, I was a bit miffed.
Luckily, I've long discovered that it sucked, so no real loss.

The sequel doesn't suck (at least in my opinion).

It's actually fairly good, has good set-pieces, likeable (for the most part) characters, very good writing, decent combat mechanics, and a pretty good story that (ymmv) admittedly goes off the rails a bit near the end.

It is a shame that it's console only, but I don't regret buying it.

mauman fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jul 17, 2015

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Part 11 - The City of Saanavaaaauuuggghhhh

Soundtrack - Lenele Marketplace

We return to Lenele for the extremely pressing matter of gargoyle blood delivery.

It looks like everything is finally working out for the trade and production portions of the city. It's just too late to matter.

And this guy is still holding out for his earring. Why his captain just hasn't taken off without him we may never know.

Headsman: I'll give you a crown, traitor!

Lord Geris: I am a loyal subject of his majesty and a victim of pernicious lies!

Headsman: Meet the lord of Surato, traitor to the crown. Tarhimun caught the kafug spying for the rennies.

Lord Geris: Lies and slander! Ask Lord Peridon! Ask Sir Mirandus! I was born a loyal subject of his majesty, and I shall die a loyal subject!

Good to see the blood flowing on the battlefield and in the capital. Speaking of blood.

These are quite ornate for just a dram of gargoyle blood.

I have six drams of gargoyle blood.

*Krys takes one of the drams of blood and places a drop in each of six small lanterns. He hides the other five drams in a pocket of his apron.*

Krys the lantern maker: That's one dram for your lanterns, and five drams for me. Compensation for time and materials. Gargoyle blood is hard to come by, as you well know.

That dude really knows how to work a team of adventurers.

I have the stonefire lanterns!

Master of revels: This is unfortunate news, indeed. Though I hoped you would fail, I gave you my word. I shall inform Torvel that I will give his players another chance to prove themselves. I pray he does not squander this opportunity.

2000xp and 5000 gold. Not bad considering some other 'great rewards' we have seen before. And thus we have completed a task of the utmost urgency and importance.

We find some kids playing in the marketplace. The second boy is funny. And...

"(FIGHT)"

We make our way to the area where the Khosani are supposed to live. We find nothing until a certain encounter.

Huh, so the Khosani are dwarves with katars.

Well, dwarves if they had no lips and shark teeth.

Khosani warrior: We know this dagger as the Blade of Tarun. If indeed you are emissaries of the King of Medeva, you must appear before the Guardian of the Stone Portal. Follow us.

The Khosani

The Khosani were children of Vadagar, god of the earth and lover of doomed Iona.

In Saanavarh, mountain of the wise, lived the last of their kind.

Their ancestors had survived the great flood brought by Amasido's vengeance.

Soundtrack - Khosani Stronghold

Check out Vadagar's 3 head thing. Just like his old dried up dead bones!

*You present the dagger that the heirophant of Urath had given you. The Guardian inspects it, frowning as he turns the blade over in his hands.*

Guardian of the Stone Portal: What fool the Khosani be that one might buy their love with trinkets and false promises! Have you traveled all this way to give us this blade? If so, you may be off. We have riches enough to buy your king and all his realm!

I seek the rings of summoning.

Guardian of the Stone Portal: Rings? You seek the rings of the Sahugani?

*The warriors guarding the portal begin to murmur excitedly.*

Guardian of the Stone Portal: Prove to us you are one of the chosen. Prove to us you are Sahugani.

*Whispers* Sahugani means 'Summoner' in the Khosani tongue. Show him the mark.

*You show the Guardian the mark on the back of your hand. A great cry erupts from the Khosani.*

Guardian of the Stone Portal: I will take you to the Ulsadana. But I warn you. If you deceive us, you will suffer a fate worse than death. Follow me and do not stray.

The Khosani are seriously ugly.

But they know how to build really cool poo poo, this platform is a big swirling maelstrom of water.

Ulsadana: The Guardian of the Stone Portal brings strange tidings: the Sahugani has come to the mountain of the wise. But I see he does not come alone. Who are your companions, Sahugani?

Sahugani?

Damnit Joseph, Rosalind just told you this!

Ulsadana: The Sahugani are called 'Summoners' in the Medevan tongue. A terrible thing to be born Sahugani. Your mark portends bloodshed and death to his people, and yet it is written the Sahugani shall redeem the wasteland and make the world anew.

Rings?

Ulsadana: We forged the rings in the fires below Saanavarh and hid them in the deepest shadows of creation. This has been told in the song of Rhukha. The Khosani can help you, if you prove yourself worthy.

Prove myself?

Ulsadana: You must submit to the Ordeal. The Guardian of the Stone Portal shall guide you to the labyrinth. But tell us before you go, Sahugani, who are your companions?

*Flece steps forward and bows with a flourish, as if imitating the lords of the royal court.*

O great Ulsadana, Flece of Lenele at your service.

Ulsadana: You are a liar and a thief. But such is the corruption of your people... A yearning for that which is not yours. I shall warn you once and only once: If you dare touch a single stone, justice will be swift and unerring.

*Laughs* Tancred once told me, 'The chambers of Saanavarh are filled with gold, but I'd rather die a pauper than face Khosani justice.'

Ulsadana: The your friend Tancred is a wise man.

I am Rosalind of Iona.

*The elders murmur to each other in low, threatening tones. With an impatient wave of her hand, the Ulsadana silences the elders.*

Ulsadana: We will settle the matter between our people before too long, Rosalind of Iona.

I understand your grievances against the Order of Iona. Though the Khosani are older than the stones of Saanavarh, Sir Carados and his knights--

*The Ulsadana pounds her staff on the dais.*

Ulsadana: Your Order desecrated hallowed ground! Beneath the stones of your sorcerers' towers lie the bones of our god! You are minions of the seductress who destroyed our cities!

No! Amasido-- *Rosalind stammers.*

Ulsadana: Silence! *Roars the Ulsadana. Rosalind steps back, trembling with rage.*

drat, the Ulsadana shut down Rosalind. Impressive.

Ulsadana: What is your name, warrior?

I am Jekhar. I have come by order of his majesty, Bellias VI, King of Medeva and Prince of the Rhunari.

*The Ulsadana regards him thoughtfully.*

Ulsadana: You are a child of the Husofi clan, are you not?

Yes, I am Husofi. Though I am no child.

Ulsadana: *Nods* The Husofi are a people of honor. I was friend of the heroes you know only in song: Damatas, Galadorn, and Ursi. The Husofi rode chariots and carried spears of ash. At the battle of Odovarhi, the helms of the hawk children gleamed as bright as the sun. The Khosani welcome you to Saanavarh. You are a warrior among warriors.

*Bows* I am honored, Ulsadana.

That was awesome. You're cursed. gently caress you. gently caress you. You're cool, high five. Jekhar is growing on me.

What is the Ordeal?

Guardian of the Stone Portal: The Ordeal is a test of your will and strength. In the law of our people, warriors must pass the ordeal before they swear their oath to the Ulsadana.

What lies in the labyrinth?

Guardian of the Stone Portal: The infernal ones that lurk in the fires below the mountain, the Khosani who have betrayed their people. If you prevail, you shall be judged worthy, but heed my advice: Not all tests can be passed by blade and magic alone.

Puzzles...

We can't suit up before hand either. No one will deal with us.

So we make our way to the labyrinth.

Soundtrack - Khosani Labyrinth

This one is quite obvious. Don't cross the seal!

The second one is a little bit more involved.

You have to push the correct stones to open the path forward in the following room. Fail, and those doors in the corners open up and golems come and bop you.

But I didn't feel like the trouble so I just 1 shot this puzzle.

Once you stand on the center platform, the pits in the corners open up and 4 Khosani heretics bum rush you.

Sadly, they were immune to trip. But good old brute force and 'fake' backstabs won the day.

This one is simply a big pit of lava that we have to cross.

We do this by flipping these blocks which also flips the adjacent blocks.

These form the platforms that you use to cross over the lava pit in the next room.

The extra items here give Jekhar an upgrade in armor.

This final one requires you to remember the symbols on the ground in each of the previous rooms and clicking them in order.

When clicked they hover at different heights. Without remembering you could just do this in order of lowest to highest.

They give us a breather before the final test. This also allows us to save, which was disabled in the previous portions of the labyrinth.

A large chamber with lava at the bottom has a ton of fire imps. They go down quickly. Jekhar and Joseph are getting good with those clubs.

At the bottom is our goal, the ring, and the exit.

The Ordeal

On that stone, could that be the Ring of Fire?

Careful, looks like a trap.

I got it!

What's happening?!

Oh gently caress! We're sorry we stole your Tio's tongue for potion materials!

A giant salamanka. *cracks knuckles*

The Khosani can't make us fight that thing, it's not fair.

Draw your weapons. The Ordeal isn't over yet.

Jekhar rules.

Soundtrack - Boss Salamanka

This fight is rather simple. Tuco will breath fireballs at us or try to smack us. Once enough damage is dealt, he plops into the lava and comes out at another location.

He only does this 2 times, for a total of 3 locations that he will not move from. Each time dropping a new item, nothing noteworthy though.

He will also use all 4 limbs to attack with, here he is kicking Flece while she positions for a backstab. One neat thing I discovered, when monsters are casting spells, they are opening themselves up to a 'true' backstab.

And thus, the Salamanka family is no more. With this we have the fourth and final ring, the Ring of Fire.

We can now summon the Red Minotaur.

He is a very capable fighter, fast movement speed, and can trip. All around badass and the dude featured on the boxart.

Of course Joseph is standing in the burning rubble of what was once a thriving village.

Soundtrack - Khosani Stronghold

Tell me about the rings.

Guardian of the Stone Portal: In the Chaos, we crafted the Rings of the Sahugani. With these rings, Rhukha vanquished the demons that ravaged creation.

Vanquished the demons?

Guardian of the Stone Portal: Demons of Fire, Stone, Light, and Darkness. Rhukha trapped them in the prison of the Rings and hid them so the demons would never return.

Josephs hand is full of concentrated demon at the moment. Wouldn't want to get punched by that!

This is just a merchant, but we know of a way to grow wheat on barren stone. SEEDS.

I have a delivery for you from Ghost Wizard Beelon.

Elarh the merchant: Ah, those would be the 'Seeds of Aahur' he promised me!

He said nothing was at stake you would pay me 2,000 gold.

Elarh the merchant: 2,000 gold?! You Sudani are devious to the last! I will pay no more than 500.

500 gold is not enough.

Elarh the merchant: Not enough? Will you empty the vaults of Saanavarh for a bag of seeds? Aye, but you have traveled far. Sahugani. We will give you 750 gold, but that is my final offer.

750 gold is not acceptable.

Elarh the merchant: 1,000 gold then, but you'll not get a sovereign more!

They're yours for 1,000 gold.

Elarh the merchant: You lied to me Ghost Wizard!! If I ever see Beelon again, I will have a word with him about his couriers.

You'd think for how rich they claim to be, that seeds that can grow even on rock would be super valuable. Especially now that WINTER IS COMING and the villages are all burning. But, no. They're 1,000 gold valuable to that guy.

Could we have traded the seeds for one of those?

The Chaos sounded like a really exciting and dynamic time to be alive. If only we could return to the Good Old Days.

A second flood?

Ilaru the priestess: Amasido is a vengeful god. If we leave Saanavarh, he may desire once again to destroy our people. We must find a deterrent.

A deterrent?

Ilaru the priestess: A weapon that would destroy the Munari, the people of Amasido, who live in their cities below the waves.

That's right. Of the 4 gods, I guess only Amasido is still running around doing things. Laharah killed Urath and is still trapped in the earth? We ran around inside of Vadagar.
Plus there were all those stories of people just washing up on Iona when they should have drowned, like the monk from far off distant somewhere and Rosalind herself.

Destroy the Munari?

Ilaru the priestess: This weapon would be used only if the god of the sea ever threatened the Khosani again. We do not seek retribution, only to return home in peace.

What kind of weapon?

Ilaru the priestess: There lived long ago a Sudani mage named Nutengov, who created a potion that could turn water into ice. A single drop of that potion fell into the Darhu, and for ten years it remained a solid block of ice. Had the entire vial been used, all the water of this world would have been frozen.

Yeah, this sounds like a good thing to give to weirdo shark mouthed dwarves.

All the water?

Ilaru the priestess: You see, if the Khosani could make a single vial of Nutengov's potion, we could destroy the cities of the Munari if Amasido flooded our lands again.

Nutengov?

Ilaru the priestess: Nutengov was one of the Dakhanim, the 'Shadow Scribes' of Prince Vodan. A master of skullduggery, Vodan was leader of the Aegosi clan. He formed the Dakhanim to carry out his devious schemes.

Dakhanim?

Ilaru the priestess: The Dakhanim mastered the secrets of invisible writing and magical parchment. They wrote codes and ciphers that could only be unraveled with powerful magic. This is why Nutengov's spells have never been found. To the untrained eye, the parchment upon which they were written would appear to be blank.

Appear to be blank?

Ilaru the priestess: Yes, not until the invisible words were revealed could the writing on the parchment be read.

Ok, so find an ancient scroll with invisible magic words on it, and make sure it's the one ancient scroll with invisible magic words on it with the right recipe for doomsday ice machine. Simple.

Here we see the mines where their vast wealth (1,000 gold) is generated.

These dwarves weren't always completely stereotypical dwarves.

Lore stone?

Keeper of Lore: Here the Keepers of Lore carve the history of our people. We have lost our god and our cities, but our memory shall live eternal.

Last age?

Keeper of Lore: We are the last guardians of creation, for our rituals hold the stones together. Our numbers dwindle from age to age, and soon the world will be no more.

Chaos?

Keeper of Lore: The chaos of ten thousand years, an era of war and corruption. Under the dark influence of demons, the khosani warred against each other. Rhukha is the one who ended the chaos.

Rhukha?

Keeper of Lore: We crafted the Rings of the Sahugani, enchanted with the secret words Vadagar had taught us. With these rings, Rhukha went forth from Saanavarh.

Rings?

Keeper of Lore: Rhukha fought the demons and captured them within the rings. Thus, the chaos came to end. The fate of Rhukha, however, remains a mystery.

The fate of Rhukha?

Keeper of Lore: Rhukha vanished after his victory over the demons. If on your travels you learn of his fate, our people will reward you.

Flood?

Keeper of Lore: Amasido destroyed our cities in the flood, and Vadagar disappeared below the island of Iona, where sorcerers and thieves now live. Centuries ago, her minions came to Saanavarh and robbed us of our scrolls. Inscribed on these parchments were the secrets Vadagar had revealed to us, written in the shifting glyphs of the gods.

Cities?

Keeper of Lore: Our gardens cascaded from the white walls of palaces. Water as blue as sapphire flowed through canals and under bridges. Hunger was a stranger in our land.

Interesting to hear the other perspectives of these things.

We gear up in some new duds and make for Lenele. With all four Rings in our possession.

Soundtrack - Boss Luminar

And like clockwork, another rider is on the hunt. This is the Phoenix Rider.

Free bird.

He controls birds or fire or something.

He is actually pretty dangerous, he almost alpha'd Jekhar here. That's a big rear end explosion nova or something. Jekhar is in the middle of it.

He also shoots with his bow and will cast other fire based spells.

Luckily he is pretty weak on defenses and dismounts with a little pressure from Jekhar and the minotaur.

I think you know how this will go.

Should have rode away, nberd.

And it's over... Wait, we never had the chance to see our damage numbers on a rider before.

Impressive trick there.

But a quick trip and it's over for good this time.

Tell Murod we're coming for him.

Now we can continue on back to Lenele and bop Emperor Murod in the schnoz.

Gildiss fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Sep 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I am torn between joking about having to go down down down to the burning ring of fire, or asking if summoning the Red Minotaur gives anyone wings.

• Locked thread