Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
I'm interested in seeing what Nagitana and Wakasashi look like - I assume the first one is some combination of naginata and a katana, but the second one eludes me,

Szurumbur fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Aug 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Fishknife? Wakizashi+Sashimi?

szary
Mar 12, 2014
The last time someone told Joseph "do this potentially deadly thing, it'll be okay, trust me" it didn't end too well.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Szurumbur posted:

I'm interested in seeing what Nagitana and Wakasashi look like - I assume the first one is some combination of naginata and a katana, but the second one eludes me,

Apologies.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

szary posted:

The last time someone told Joseph "do this potentially deadly thing, it'll be okay, trust me" it didn't end too well.

Yes, well, when the person who says do this isn't possessed by one of the four demons, the chance that it's a good thing goes remarkably up.

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

szary posted:

That was the first thing I thought about that exchange as well, Joseph sure is a moron. Would love to see the Gatherer be Yago wearing a rubber mask.

Magic Fanatic
Oct 28, 2008
I've played this game before a bit, but only far enough to get Jekhar. And then I had to give it back to the rental store. Newly a teenager at the time, I think I was.

...Is it just me, or is this earring quest going to wind up with us one step behind the entire way until it finds its way to the sailor all on its own?

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

At which point he says "well I found it myself while you were messing about, so no reward for you". :v:

Also I do like how the game keeps the consequences of Joseph burning his hand off in the gameplay, but the best bit is that it then sends you to a place where you have to fight minotaurs, just to rub it in.

OminousEdge
Apr 4, 2013

McDragon posted:

At which point he says "well I found it myself while you were messing about, so no reward for you". :v:

Also I do like how the game keeps the consequences of Joseph burning his hand off in the gameplay, but the best bit is that it then sends you to a place where you have to fight minotaurs, just to rub it in.

I can see the developers doing this in a meeting.
Developer 1: Ok. We just gave them an awesome summon and then took it away after like two dungeons at the most. We've made pretty much everyone hate the main character and make him a walking disaster. What else can we do to the player?
Developer 2: How about we add a random encounter that uses a monster that is a recolor of the awesome summon we took away?
Developer 1: GENIUS! Make it happen.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Well, all you need is one hand for four rings. Or does summoning only work with the hand that got burned off?

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

Glazius posted:

Well, all you need is one hand for four rings. Or does summoning only work with the hand that got burned off?

The missing hand had the mark of the summoner we heard about way back when. I think the idea is that you need the mark to make the rings work.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Part 15 - Wolong Walks

We will now begin our climb to the caverns.

The game gives you the invisibility potions, but we shan't be needing them.

We have enough force to make corpses of them all. Though the initial part of the stairs is the most difficult with roughly 6 soldiers and 2 officers all at once.

Which is good, because normally, even if you know exactly where to go, the potions will run out before you reach the caverns proper.

Keep in mind this is all still within Wolong. Wolong is a huge zone.

This is a fun little spot, this must be where General Pijian is staying.

Let's leave him the equivalent of a flaming bag of dog poo poo.

This is a shortfall of the games AI, if they can't see you, they will not engage you. Even when damaged. This is more easily replicated when combined with the invisibility spell. Casting other spells while invisible does not break invisibility. I'll let your imaginations go with that.

I'm not quite sure what the point of meteor is, other than a totally Joseph thing to do.

I finish off the finely roasted guards with a couple of dinky fire arrows.

Flece handles the rest.

That small building down in the corner? That's the large one we roasted all those guards at.

These stairs are huge. Going to have enormous thighs.

Soundtrack - Wolong Caverns

We finally reach the caverns. This should be quick.

Maybe not. That tiny bit of ground way down there? We will go there. And that's only the halfway point.

The game continues to taunt us with yet another color swapped minotaur.

This is the platform that the villagers used to drop their sacrifices from, the dragon's mouth.

Shadows?

Caris the damned: Four of us there are. Brothers and sorcerers. Sacrificed to the dragon beneath the waves.

Sacrificed?

Caris the damned: Sacrificed, yes, but we refused to die. I am Caris the damned. Drazin, Azha, and Balis are my companions in this nether realm. Our memories have withered and died. All we cling to is darkness and cold.

Your brothers?

Caris the damned: Balis is Azha's slave and dog, for Balis has no will. He lives with his master in the very depths of these caverns. Azha calls himself the 'Archlich' for he rules as King of the Infinite Space. Azha is the Lord of Nothing, and you would be wise not to anger him. In his sorry godhood, Azha can neither live nor die. Drazin revels in dilemma, though he can never make up his mind. Only he of the four still yearns for life. Even pain offers greater solace than this oblivion.

Everything you can see in here you will go to. The caverns rival Wolong in size, maybe.

Or that might just be because of what happens after this next rear end in a top hat.

Drazin the tormented: What will I lose if I go right? And in my indecision, have I chosen a worse fate?

Go right?

Drazin the tormented: Yes, right is the way to go! But why should you take my word for it? Why should you trust me? Perhaps I delight in the torment of others. Perhaps I only live to see you suffer.

Go left?

Drazin the tormented: Ah, a wise decision, perhaps? Neither is free of pain and misery. Neither is devoid of pleasure. Yet, which is the right choice? Left, I presume, or is it?

We have now reached the undead majority area of the caverns. And like Drazin said, there are two branching paths. Both of which have some downsides.

Namely, on the right path, the spike trap that will apply a slow that will stay on you for the remainder of the dungeon.

Or the left path, that has a gas trap that will apply a curse for the remainder of the dungeon.

I went through the right path and had to walk slowly through this huge rear end maze of a dungeon. :negative:

Speaking of, here are some pictures from the designer that created the caverns, and some other maps. Here is a link to her website.

From the looks of the ruins, it's almost like people used to live down here, or at least held festivals or rituals down here.

We also find a new enemy, the ice witch.

Their death animation is very cool looking.

You just know somebody got stabbed on that thing.

We very slowly stumble upon a large storage room.

Inside which, we find evidence of the original ring daddy, Rhukha.

These goddamn caverns are endless, and we move so slowly! I made a terrible mistake!

Azha the archlich: How frail you are, you worms of blood! Healing? As if there were such a thing! You will find the waters you seek in the caverns beyond, if you survive.

Healing?

Azha the archlich: No magic can halt the serpents that devour us from within. The weak perish quickly, but the strong live on, beyond death. Nothing can harm Azha. Neither blade, cold, fire, nor lightning can strike me down.

Suvive what?

Azha the archlich: A maze of ice. A labyrinth of cold despair. I will not hinder you, nor will I help. Whether you live or die is of no concern to me.

In my slowness, I didn't even bother challenging him. There are three ways to kill him, and I will come back later to do so. Doing so now would have been helpful though because of this next thing.

Balis the demilich: Balis needs but one thing. A simple thing. Give Balis what he wants, and he will show you. Kill Azha. Kill Azha and bring me his bone. Kill Azha and Balis will show you.

Azha?

Balis the demilich: Yes, Azha the archlich of winter. Azha the invulnerable. Azha who cannot be destroyed. Kill him and Balis will show you.

Invulnerable?

Balis the demilich: Azha will not burn. Neither stone nor sword nor stick will make him weep. Cold will not hurt him. Nor will Azha die by lightning. But kill Azha and bring his bone and Balis will show you.

Instead I choose to stumble around very slowly in this hellish frozen maze.

We do eventually reach an area with rhokuls though, which means the plant, tail of the rhokul, should be nearby.

It isn't.

Not even close. The taunting is merciless.

Thankfully, all things must come to an end, and we find the plants.

We skip the middleman and eat this poison straight from the stem.

At last, our trip through the caverns has reached the end.

Ngaru's Ghost: Emperor Teos, who shall live in infamy as ruler of the Drowned City. Deep below the Khadim it now lies, a city of the dead. Its bells shall sound no more. Its gardens shall never see the sun. Its lords are naught but bone and gloom.

Why are you here?

Ngaru's Ghost: I am Ngaru, the last of my people. I have come to this place to return the ring. This is the home of the dragon of the lake. Here the ring belongs. These stones do not speak. They do not know jealousy, vanity, or rage. The ring belongs here, not in the hands of men.

But I need the ring.

Ngaru's Ghost: Then the ring is yours, but only a fool mistakes his desire for need.

The ring must not fall into the hands of mortal men.
But I neeeeed it!
Ok fine, whatever, destroy your whole civilization, I'm a ghost skeleton, I don't care.

Finally, we were feeling a little lonely without a WMD on my fing.... ohhhh.

But, that's what this pool is for. We should be fully armed and operational shortly. Oh, and the cutscene does not like Joseph's armored onesie and defaults to his peasant garb.

Wolong Caverns

'Cleanse your wounds in the waters of healing.' Those are the Gatherer's words.

You can turn back now if you want, Joseph. But this might be our only chance.

I will do it.

YEARRRR

RRGHHHHHH!

Cleanse your wounds in the waters of healing, and you will be whole again.

We are now back in business.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Gildiss posted:

Their death animation is very cool looking.

Icy what you did there.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I like how all those four ULTIMATE IMMORTAL DARKGHOSTS do is prance around and rant madly at you, cackling about ambiguities and ice and evil and ultimately they don't particularly want to fight you, they just seem like they want an audience for their undead melodrama.

Speaking of, is Azha actually immortal in some sense and requires trickery to kill? Or is that just overselling him, and he's just kind of reasonably tough?

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

PurpleXVI posted:

I like how all those four ULTIMATE IMMORTAL DARKGHOSTS do is prance around and rant madly at you, cackling about ambiguities and ice and evil and ultimately they don't particularly want to fight you, they just seem like they want an audience for their undead melodrama.

Speaking of, is Azha actually immortal in some sense and requires trickery to kill? Or is that just overselling him, and he's just kind of reasonably tough?

There are only 3 things that can kill him, none of them being things they listed off as him being immune to.

OminousEdge
Apr 4, 2013
And now that Joseph has his hand and a ring again, Orenia is so freaking boned.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

You can save and reload to remove the dungeon long debuff :downs:

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

mauman posted:

You can save and reload to remove the dungeon long debuff :downs:

Yeah, I discovered that after I had trudged through 4/5ths of it. :negative:

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

I love and hate the caverns at the same time. They are neatly designed but have too much bullshit to properly navigate.

Music is great tho
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8F6wckvu5s

szary
Mar 12, 2014
What's the debuff if you go the other way?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

szary posted:

What's the debuff if you go the other way?
Curse: Meaning you take more damage.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Disco Infiva posted:

I love and hate the caverns at the same time. They are neatly designed but have too much bullshit to properly navigate.

Music is great tho
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8F6wckvu5s

It's also the credit music.

While we're talking about music, I absolutely love Wolong's song. It thought that integrating Flece's theme into the oriental sounds worked really well, and really surprised me the first time I heard it.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Part 16 - Wolong Time No See

The Summoner is back. Let's check out our, now only, summon.

*faaaaart*

He is actually an alright spell caster and has a spell that is unique to him alone.

This is the scale that I forgot to capture last update. Not actually red.

Thankfully, we don't have to backtrack to exit this labyrinth. There is a path right from the pool that leads close to the surface opened by a lever.

Where we find a little upgrade for Rosalind.

Soundtrack - Wolong

Ah, look, our first victim.

"Welcome to you're doom!"

Jade Temple soldier: Then you are the Summoner of the prophecy! On your hand you have the mark of the first emperor. I see you have been healed.

Who are you?

Jade Temple soldier: My name is Yishi. I am a soldier of the Society of the Jade Temple. We are rebels fighting against Murod.

Where is Aoqi?

Jade Temple soldier: I do not know. We attacked at dawn, and I have not seen her since. She must be somewhere in the village. Aoqi leads the main attack, but we have been separated from the others.

Separated from the others?

Jade Temple soldier: We are fighting to retake the village from General Pijian. We fought our way up these platforms, but the imperial soldiers closed in behind us! There are only a few of us, and we are now surrounded.

Surrounded?

Jade Temple soldier: Come, I will take you to Renhe. He has taken command of our detachment. Follow me.

Jade Temple priest: The Summoner? Prepare for the advance!

Jade Temple soldier: Your will be done!

Jade Temple priest: Beware of Pijian! Though you may have destiny on your side, General Pijian is unmatched in battle! He fights with the strength of twenty men.

How can we help?

Jade Temple priest: We must strike before the enemy regroups. Follow Yishi and his men. They will lead the charge down to the village. Go and may the gods fight with you!

Yishi: For Wolong! For the slaves of Eleh!

Soundtrack - Boss Luminar

Now begins the battle for Wolong.

We get three watermelon troopers that race down the platforms battling through the imperial soldiers.

The blue imp is good for casting a ton of spells, like freeze here.

We really go on a rampage down the platforms.

But eventually only Yishi is left running with us. Check out the battle damage in the town square.

Yishi had a very quick turnaround on his Joseph-induced doom. With his hand restored it just blew away the first living NPC it saw.

Look at what your careless hands have wrought. That's an impressive body count.

Place is seriously littered with bodies. I think Wolong can be struck off the list.

Medeva: CIVILIZATION DESTROYED

Iona - Active
Saanavarh - Active

Orenia:
Wolong - Decimated

And here is the culprit. Joseph General Pijian.

Soundtrack - Boss ~ Pijian

It starts as a wordless stare down.

The Jade Temple priest was not joking, Pijian is a tough customer. His hits curse which increase damage taken even more, it effectively nullifies the bless that I cast.

To top it off, he comes with 3 soldiers that do pretty decent damage, especially if more than one of them focuses on a single target.

The best way to go about it is to quickly remove his cohorts from the equation. Solve for Pijian.

The answer is backstabs.

And Pijian falls as wordlessly as the fight began.

Aoqi: So you are the One-Hand of the prophecy?

Aoqi: My name is Aoqi, and I am leader of the Jade Temple.

You are the woman I saw in the palace! You poisoned Tancred!

*Grabs Flece's arm.* Listen! We need her help! Tancred's dead, and there's nothing you can do about it.

Nothing? *Flece shakes off Rosalind's grasp.* Tancred saved my life, and I will avenge him!

Did you kill Tancred?

Aoqi: *Looks Flece in the eye.* I understand your desire for revenge, Flece. I did what I believed was just, but vengeance often blinds us.

Vengeance?

Aoqi: Tancred murdered a friend of mine long ago, a friend who loved you dearly.

Loved me? What are you saying? *Flece lowers the dagger.* Tancred said he killed my mother...

Did you know Flece's mother?

Aoqi: Indeed, for she was the daughter of Gaodi II, Emperor of Orenia, and Flece will be the rightful heir of his throne!

How is that possible? Murod killed the imperial family when he seized power.

Aoqi: *Smiles sadly, shaking her head.* No. A daughter survived. A girl named Qifeng. As Murod butchered her family, Qifeng fled the palace.

What happened to Qifeng?

Aoqi: She vanished into the wilderness of Orenia, where she gave birth to a daughter named Sihua.

Sihua? Am I Sihua? *Flece asks in her astonishment.* How did I get to Lenele? How did Tancred kill Qifeng? Who is my father?

Aoqi: Bellias VI, the late King of Medeva. You are the rightful heir of two crowns, Sihua. The imperial family traveled to Lenele, guests of the King of Medeva. Qifeng fell in love with the young Prince Bellias. Secretly they married, fearing their families' disapproval. They consummated their union and promised to make their marriage known by the new year.

Why did Bellias marry Galienne?

Aoqi: Murod seized power when the imperial family returned from Medeva. Bellias believed Qifeng lay among the Emperor's children, murdered in the palace.

But how did Tancred murder Qifeng?

Aoqi: Because Queen Galienne sent him to Orenia to kill her. The Queen discovered the truth about her husband's marriage. The priest who had performed the ritual confessed to her. Galienne knew that if Qifeng carried the King's child, then her own sons would lose their claim to Medeva's throne.

So she had Qifeng killed?

Aoqi: Tancred killed the woman, and would have done the same to the girl, but he had pity on her. He brought her to Lenele with him.

Then I do remember this place! Those weren't dreams. I have been here before!

Aoqi: Yes. You grew up here, on the Lake of Sorrows.

*Flece gazes around at the hills and forests as if in a deep reverie.* When I saw you in the palace of Lenele, my father recognized you. How did you know him?

Aoqi: Because I am Qifeng, and you are my daughter, Sihua. After Murod dissolved the Jade Temple. I joined the survivors and led their resistance. Our lives were in peril. I wanted my daughter to live and reclaim her grandfather's throne. A friend promised to look after you, Sihua. Her name was Heyin, and I believed you would be safer with her. Tancred murdered Heyin, and for that I sought vengeance.

What did you whisper in the King's ear?

Aoqi: I said, 'Bellias, you have a daughter, the one true heir of your crown.' When Murod and the demons are defeated, the crown of Medeva will be yours, Sihua. We have a long road to travel, and you, Joseph, must finish your quest. There is someone here who can help you. An old friend. You will find him in the village, and he knows what you must do next. He also has a gift for you, Joseph. One that you will find most useful.

If Yago pops up again, he is getting a debasser to the dome.

Jekhar is back! :swoon: I wonder if the gift is his axe in Joseph's skull.

Ugh, Flece is quickly becoming insufferable after this special snowflake revelation.

Galienne vanished from the island, and with her vanished the Lore of the Nhuvasarim. She was in league with Prince Sornehan, and together they conspired to murder Bellias.

Lore of the Nhuvasarim?

Laharah's cult of sorcerers, worshipers of death. The Nhuvasarim died out centuries ago, but their writing survives.

How did she steal the lore?

Yago knew where the writings were kept on Iona. Rosalind and I escorted Galienne to the island, but she was never in any danger. Her escape from Lenele was nothing but a ruse.

Why did she steal the lore?

So that she and Sornehan could master the secrets of the Nhuvasarim. Through the death and despair of others, these sorcerers of Laharah grow powerful. Sornehan and Galienne now rule over the wasteland of Medeva. In league with the four demons, they torment the survivors who huddle in the ruins. Through the agony of their people, they grow stronger.

How did you get to Orenia?

I had neither King nor Queen to defend. Tarhimun was dead, and I had nothing left to fight for. Nothing but my desire for revenge.

Revenge?

I knew the monks could fend for themselves, so I sailed to Orenia to find Joseph and kill him. I would have vengeance for Ciran. For Medeva.

What happened next?

I came to Wolong, and here I joined the Jade Temple's fight against Murod. Aoqi helped me understand. The destruction of Ciran was not your fault, Joseph. There are forces at work here greater than you or I.

So you forgive me?

*Jekhar laughs.* No, I don't forgive you, but I promise not to kill you yet.

I love you Jekhar.

Aoqi said you had a gift for me?

More than a gift! I have the Ring of the Four Winds! The priests of the Jade Temple were keeping this ring for you. They knew the Summoner would come to fulfill his prophecy. You now have only two more dragon rings to find. The Ring of Jade and the Ring of the Forest.

The Ring of Jade?

The ring lies in the eye of the dragon found in the Jade Temple, an imperial stronghold near the Tower of Eleh. We'll have to defeat Murod to get the ring, but first, you'll need the Ring of the Forest. This ring lies in the Shrine of Liangshan, a haunted forest east by northeast of Wolong. The guardian of that shrine will give us the ring. That's where we must go.

A haunted forest?

Evil spirits haunt Liangshan. We'll have to fight through the forest to reach the shrine.

Join us.

Let's go now to Liangshan. When we have the Ring of the Forest, we'll be ready to face Murod.

Guess who's back, back again. Jekhar's back, tell a friend.

We're already up to 2/4 Rings. Which means a new summon already!

On our warpath down from the cavern we picked up some new things for Jekhar. Aptly named.

Can't wait to see double debassers in action.

Meet the celestial samurai. A solid mid tier combat summon.

And he has some kind of nice chain moves, like bless here, and group heal.

Now everybody, walk like a Jekhar.
God these running animations are bad.

Gildiss fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Aug 22, 2015

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
Jekhar is amazing, he really never gives Joseph a break.

"Well, I didn't have anything else to do, so I figured I'd find you and murder you."

OminousEdge
Apr 4, 2013
I said it once, I will say it again. With the Restoration of Joseph's hand an Rings for it, Orenia is boned,

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Ah, the Celestial Samurai.

A good summon, probably one of the better summons. And even though he's supposed to be mid-tier, it's possible you might you use him for the rest of the game.

Why, you might ask? He's basically a mini-Jehkar, he comes with critical hit. He can hit very hard.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

You are gonna need all those group heals *wink wink nudge nudge*
:suicide:

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)

Gildiss posted:

Now everybody, walk like a Jekhar.
God these running animations are bad.

Please tell me that's avatar-sized.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Sordas Volantyr posted:

Please tell me that's avatar-sized.

No, but this is.

*huff* Must *huff* Kill *huff* Joseph

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)

Gildiss posted:

No, but this is.

This is my avatar as soon as I have money. Thanks, man!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I have to admit, I admire the foresight of prophecy here to provide a backup set of rings.

Assuming that's what they intended them for, anyhow.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Glazius posted:

I have to admit, I admire the foresight of prophecy here to provide a backup set of rings.
Assuming that's what they intended them for, anyhow.
This was actually in a way foreshadowed by a NPC on Iona who talked about the time of chaos where demons and dragons were fighting and making a mess of the place until the Khosani put a stop to it.
Though after Rhukha trapped the demons in the rings, you'd think people would wondered where the dragons went.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Part 17 - Liangshan

Soundtrack - Wolong

Leaving and returning to Wolong will now make it an official(ly dead) town with merchants and NPCs to chat with. They don't clean up the bodies.

At least some of them are trying to stay positive.

I love this picture. Yes, they will rise up. Because the people will all be dead, like Wolong.

Fangyin: My family are descendants of the people of Liangshan, a village that once stood on the River of Swords. Long ago, the village was attacked by an evil spirit that rose up from the river. A dragon saved the people.

An evil spirit?

Fangyin: The blood of the spirit grew into the forest of Liangshan. The forest is a dark and savage place.

A dragon saved the people?

Fangyin: The villagers built a shrine to the dragon that saved them, but they had to leave Liangshan. My family came to Wolong, and here we settled. We have a tradition in our family. When one of us passes away, then something dear to that person must be brought to Liangshan, for that is our true home.

A tradition?

Fangyin: My sons Daoming and Yichao are dead. I am the only one left to fulfill the tradition, but I am an old widow. I cannot make the journey to Liangshan.

Yichao?

Fangyin: My son Yichao died in the battle to free Wolong from the army of General Pijian. This locket belonged to him. It holds a lock of hair, a gift from his wife Qiulan. Last autumn, she drowned in a storm on the Lake of Sorrows.

Daoming?

Fangyin: My son Daoming was executed the morning General Pijian and his soldiers captured Wolong. Peizhi the traitor denounced him. This ancient coin belonged to him. Minted in the reign of the first emperor. Daoming found it in the forest as a boy, and he was very proud of it. It must be brought to Liangshan.

I will make the journey for you.

Fangyin: I do not deserve such kindness! In Liangshan you will find a graveyard. Bring Yichao's coin and Daoming's locket and place them on the stones. That is what must be done.

Likai the soldier: Yes, I am. Have you seen him? Is he still alive?

He is still alive.

And he will remain so, but only if you give us the damned earring!

Likai the soldier: The gods be praised! When I heard imperial soldiers had captured our village, I feared the worst.

Do you have the earring he gave you?

Likai the soldier: Why? Do you want it?

Yes.

Likai the soldier: I am sorry, but it's a gift from my brother. I'd rather not part with it.

Um... I need it for my prophecy.

Likai the soldier: In that case, I would be honored if you would accept it. You have a long and dangerous journey ahead of you. May the earring bring you as much luck as it has given me.

Joseph finally getting the hang of this whole 'Prophecy' thing. Thing must have sucked the luck out of all the previous earring bearers. One earring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.

Never thought we'd see the day. I wonder if Durgan is even alive still.

Phew, thankfully a handful of the 10 or so surviving populace are merchants.

Caishi the sculptor: He was emperor before Murod seized the throne. Ever since his death, happiness has been a stranger in our land. The imperial soldiers demolished all my work!

Demolished?

Caishi the sculptor: Well, not entirely. I've found his torso. If you can find his arms, head, and legs, perhaps I can piece the statue together. Bring back all the pieces you find. I'll reward you well.

Gulan: They are prisoners of the Jade Temple. They will be brought before the new Empress, and she will judge them.

What will you do now?

Gulan: I am a hunter. I have my spear. I will march with the Jade Temple and fight. We will free my daughter and the slaves of Eleh.

Some of us even survived!

Flece is staring wistfully at the mystical surroundings, feeling at home. And other snowflake bullshit.

Here's the guy we talked down from the pond bridge. Let's hope they go easy on him.

Those sound like very complicated statues. Maybe engrave some demons surrounding the Medevans as well.

So it was true after all, demonic riders from hell.

The gatherers are back in town. No promises on the dying in vain though.

Why are you doomed?

Longyue: Because I must go to Liangshan and get my hat from the spirits that haunt the forest.

Get your hat?

Longyue: I am a magician of sorts, a practitioner of simple wizardry. My gifts are few, but in times of need, they have proven useful.

You are a sorcerer?

Longyue: No, not a sorcerer. Nothing so grand. When General Pijian captured Wolong, I was among the villagers who ran into the hills.

You ran into the hills?

Longyue: There were only a few of us, awake before dawn. We had no time to warn the others. The soldiers pursued us, and so I summoned the spirits of the forest.

Spirits of the forest?

Longyue: I asked for their help, and so they turned us into trees. Pijian's soldiers could not find us, though they searched high and low. We were saved, but at a price.

A price?

Longyue: The spirits asked for only one thing: my hat. I gave it to them, but now I must go to Liangshan and get it back. If I do not, then I will die.

Why will you die?

Longyue: Those who bargain with spirits must pay the price they ask.

Where is Liangshan?

Longyue: A place of shadows haunted by devils of the forest. I would rather die a thousand deaths than go to Liangshan.

Well good news. You only have to die one death for not going to Liangshan, apparently. I also like to think that only he returned to town, everyone else he was running with is still a tree.

Could we get the hat for you?

Longyue: I dare not to ask that of you, Summoner. You are the child of prophecy, and I'm no great hero. But if you should return with my hat, perhaps I would be saved.

Nandi: A potion only Nandi knows how to make, but you must find the ingredients for me. I will need the leaves of a plant they call 'Sparrow's Egg.' You will find it in the wilds outside of Wolong, where Murod's soldiers patrol.

Soundtrack - Oriental Theme

What Nandi means by 'where Murod's soldiers patrol' is actually where a fuckload of rokhul live.

But we find the little plant.

However, we find something else where Murod's soldiers patrol.

Ahlang: Do you have one? I am in desperate need of an amusing tale or a clever conundrum. You would save my life!

Save your life?

Ahlang: I am pursued by Death, one of Laharah's shadowy minions. Death has come to take my soul to Laharah's infernal palace in the kingdom of the dead, but I have eluded Death so far.

Eluded death?

Ahlang: As strange as it may seem, Death has a sense of humor. If I tell a joke, Death laughs and laughs. If I tell a riddle, Death ponders it for a while. This gives me time to escape.

Time to escape?

Ahlang: I have eluded Death eight hundred seventy-seven times in this fashion, but Death is persistent. Just when I think I've lost him, he appears before me when I least expect it.

Appears before you?

Ahlang: Yes, in the form of a cat! Always in the form of a cat. But now I have no more jokes or riddles. If Death comes for me again, I am doomed.

What will you do?

Ahlang: In Wolong there is a fisherman named Ruidu, a master of jokes and riddles. He has saved my skin more than once. I suspect he may be hiding from me because I can't find him anywhere. If you happen to meet him, please get a joke or riddle for me.

A little more searching around, and some giant rear end zilla monsters later.

Lo, a catte appears before us.

Death: Ahlang knows many funny jokes and riddles. I can't help but be entertained. By the time I've stopped laughing or solved the riddle, he is gone. A cat is easily distracted.

You are Death?

Death: I didn't believe it at first, but Ahlang convinced me. Have you ever seen a talking cat? Of course not! How absurd! I must therefore be a minion of Laharah, a servant of the underworld. There is no other explanation.

A minion of Laharah?

Death: I imagine she must be rather angry with me. Most minions don't take so long to run their errands. I tell myself that I mustn't laugh or think about the riddle, but he gets me every time.

This quest is getting good.

Back to town again and now we have our next ingredient to find.

Jade Temple Priest: The Emperor's victory united Orenia under a single crown and ended the chaos of ten thousand years.

A dragon of jade?

Jade Temple Priest: In the dragon's honor, the Emperor built the Jade Temple and founded our order. In the Jade Temple there is a Ring in the dragon's eye. Since the death of the first Emperor, no one has mastered the Ring. Perhaps the mark on your hand means that you will summon the jade dragon once again.

We also find the statue head by the cliffs in town. Looks an awful lot like Armun from Ikaemos.

A few dozen oni later and we find the next herb for this surely outstanding potion.

Ruidi the fisherman: A joke or riddle, did you say? Yes, I have just the story for you. An anecdote you will find most entertaining. But I will need 1,000 gold before I speak a word of it.

Fine, 1,000 gold.

Ruidi the fisherman: I apologize for asking a fee from you, One-Hand, but even the fisherman has to eat. I call this joke, 'Pursued by Death.' There once was a man named Ahlang who found himself pursued by Laharah's minion, Death. Now, the funny thing is that Death always appeared to him in the guise of a cat.

Go on.

Ruidi the fisherman: Ahlang escaped from Death many, many times by telling the cat a joke or riddle. As the cat puzzled over the riddle or laughed at the joke, Ahlang made a run for it.

That's the joke?

Ruidi the fisherman: No, it gets better! The funny thing was this: Ahlang never realized that the cat was not ACTUALLY Death. No. The cat was nothing more than a talking cat. We often jump to conclusions when we meet talking cats.

Can I have my gold back?

Ruidi the fisherman: Patience! I'm getting to the good part: Both Ahlang and the cat are convinced that their predicament is precisely as they perceive it. Ahlang thinks the cat is Death, as does the cat.

So?

Ruidi the fisherman: Ahlang and the cat are so convinced of this that if Ahlang fails to amuse or befuddle the cat with a new joke or riddle, Ahlang will certainly die. Now Ahlang has consulted a sage, a master of enigmas and jests, and from this sage, Ahlang has learned enough to keep himself alive for a very long time.

A sage?

Ruidi the fisherman: Alas, this sage, as clever as he may be, has nothing more to teach him. That cat has heard every joke told in Wolong since the first emperor. No, if Ahlang is to survive, he has but one hope.

One hope?

Ruidi the fisherman: The One-Hand, the Summoner, the child of the Jade Temple's prophecy, the scourge of Murod, the bane of the Four Riders, the slayer of General Pijian, the foreordained liberator of the slaves of Eleh...

I get the point.

Ruidi the fisherman: Yes, well, I hope so, if you intend to save your friend Ahlang. But you are in luck! I have been pondering Ahlang's plight for some time now, and I think I may have a solution. Why does Ahlang think the cat is death? Because it is a talking cat. And how will you save Ahlang's life? You must keep the cat from talking! Ah, but how? You could cut out its tongue, but why do harm to the cat? It's not the cat's fault that Ahlang is delusional. You could bind its mouth with twine, but cats are clever and such devices do not hold them long.

Then what must we do?

Ruidi the fisherman: In the forest of Liangshan, there stands a tree, the one good tree in that evil wood. The bark of the tree has a flavor that is sweet and pleasing to cats. If you give this cat this bark, he will desire nothing more than to chew it. As the bark is chewed, it turns soft and sticky. He will chew and chew for hours, giving Ahlang more than enough time to make his escape.

Phew, goddamn that dude wouldn't shut up.

All roads lead to Liangshan now.

Liangshan

Thousands of years ago, before the first emperor, Liangshan was a tiny village on the River of Swords. In the year of the red comet, a monster rose up from the river.

And the village prayed to the heavens for help. A dragon, named Dai, heard the prayers of Liangshan. For three days and nights he battled the river monster.

As each drop of the monsters blood struck the earth it grew into a tree, twisted and malignant. And this is how the forest of Liangshan came to be.

At last, the dragon was victorious and the monster lay dead by the River of Swords.

The people of Liangshan abandoned their village to the evil forest and built a shrine to the dragon Dai in honor of his victory. To this very day, the shrine remains a sanctuary of virtue in these dark woods.

Soundtrack - Liangshan

And since that one is mainly just atmosphere have the other two Liangshan tracks that aren't actually used in Liangshan but Medevan forest maps.

Soundtrack - Liangshan Forest Day
Soundtrack - Liangshan Forest Night

This place is gloomy as heck especially with the soundtrack, and filled with oh 80 or so oni.

Looks like the oni did us a favor though and wiped out some of Murod's troops.

Across the river I think that's a bigass skull. :stare:

Wounded soldier: The oni attacked... all the soldiers... ripped apart. *The soldier mumbles in his delirium.* The Emperor send us here to die!

Emperor?

Wounded soldier: *The soldier lurches forward but catches himself before he falls.* Murod... sent us here... to kill the Summoner... to destroy the Shrine of Liangshan. The Summoner... is a man with the power... of a god. In the prophecy... of the Jade Temple... the Summoner shall end the Emperor's reign. End his dynasty. He is coming to Liagnshan.

Liangshan?

Wounded soldier: A battle fought here... long, long ago... the river spirit slain, each drop of its blood... grew into a tree. A forest of evil. Even the plants and vines... are dangerous to living men. poison flows through them... a venom for which there is no cure... but the shrine... the guardian of the shrine... he is a healer of great power.

So there is a cure then.

Shrine?

Wounded soldier: A shrine to Dai... the dragon of the forest... who saved the villagers of Liangshan... evil spirits will not go near the shrine. Beware the oni! They killed our scouting party.

Scouting party?

Wounded soldier: General Wentao... and his army... they will march on Liangshan... they will destroy the shrine... and steal the Ring of the Forest. *The soldier clutches his chest and grimaces.*

We have to get to the shrine before General Wentao's soldiers attack! You will need that Ring to fight the Emperor!

But what about the oni?

How bad could they be? *Jekhar replies with a grin.* Besides, weren't you listening? Joseph here has the power of a god.

Wounded soldier: *The soldier shakes his head and waves his hands frantically.* No... no... run from this place... you will die here... turn back. For your own sake!

I like how everyone kind of ignored him at the end and Jekhar continues to fukken rule, goddamn dude.

This is where Liangshan gets annoying. This fart gas has us poisoned until we reach the shrine at the end. Even banishing and resummoning outside of the gas has our summons instantly poisoned again.

Yeah Flece, the No 1 rule of the Summoner is that every single legend and myth is 100% fact.

A Big Skull. Make a note of it, as we didn't see the monster in the cutscene.

I have no idea why this spot is cold. Though we do find a statue piece here. How Murod's soldiers managed to get it this far into the forest is anyones guess.

Further in we find a lovely pit.

Thankfully, we can't fall into it and be slowed for the remained of the forest like the caverns.

At the edge of the pit we found this. Looks like we know what happened to Rhukha now. Defeated the demons and dragons but taken out by a bunch of punk oni and their punji sticks.

We find the graveyard further in.

*Following Fangyin's instructions, you place Daoming's coin and Yichao's locket on the stones of the Liangshan graveyard.*

Oni: You are kind to help those in need. Do what must be done and go. You are in danger here.

We also pick up a fine new dagger for Flece, getting backstab above 10 is good for those digits.

Piaobo: My name is Piaobo. I was born in the village of Wolong, on the Lake of Sorrows. We lived in a hut on the water's edge. My grandfather was a fisherman. My mother looked after his birds.

Mother?

Piaobo: She told me my father was a soldier, a handsome swordsman who died in battle, but she lied to me. My father was a spirit of the forest.

A spirit of the forest?

Piaobo: As I grew older I changed. My skin withered and hardened as if I were an old woman. My face turned into an ugly mask. The other children made fun of me until I began to frighten them. I could not leave the hut, or the villagers would throw stones. They told my grandfather that if he did not get rid of me, they would drive my family out.

Get rid of you?

Piaobo: That's when my mother told me the truth. She said that I was a child of the spirits, and that I had to go live with my own kind. And so I came to Liangshan. The oni do not harm me, nor are they kind. Every day I become more and more like them: cruel, spiteful, and angry. I am forgetting what it means to have been a girl who lived on the Lake of Sorrows.

Forgetting?

Piaobo: If someone does not help me, the girl named Piaobo will die and will be lost for ever. Only the spirit will remain to haunt these woods. But I can find no one who will help.

What must be done?

Piaobo: To become a girl again, I must sacrifice my immortality. The spirits of the forest are immortal. Though you destroy their bodies with swords and spells, these spirits will never die. This box contains my immortal spirit. I must sacrifice this box to the dragon of the lake. Will you help me?

Yes.

Piaobo: Bring this box to the caverns of Wolong. Throw it into the abyss, and I will be free, but please do not open it. If you do, my immortal spirit will be lost forever.

I also put on some cool new armor for Jekhar, because it looks cool, and that's all that really matters. :cool:

The final dragon scale is ours as well. Now what do we even do with them?

There is a large cave under the roots of a tree, filled with skeletal remains, of course.

And as luck would have it a magical blank scroll.

Across the bridge I can spy some old friends.

The riders finally decide to pair up.

Rosalind is really the only one that fails entirely at trying to look intimidating.

I luck out a bit here and the phoenix rider decides to sit out the first half of the battle and just stare blankly. Flece gets stoned though, which leads to a very odd outcome.

That's what we like to call BIG DAMAGE!

A quick revive and Flece does what she does best. This time though, the riders don't flee. They just explode. Awesome.

And Rosalind finally gets a new robe. I think I had missed another one earlier on, though, so this didn't have to be the first.

We find the hat way back behind a ton of oni. I only think Longyue would have died of embarrassment hahaha.

Seen here. The final casting of vitalize thanks to poison. Cure this poo poo!

Guardian of the shrine: Are you not the Summoner of the Jade Temple's prophecy? Have you not come to Orenia to defeat the usurper? I see by the mark on your hand that indeed you are the one.

Yeah this might be a while.

Cure poison.

Guardian of the shrine: A lethal poison, but not beyond my knowledge to cure. One who lives in Liangshan must learn its secrets well.

Jade Temple?

Guardian of the shrine: The Society of the Jade Temple. The imperial priesthood and defenders of the Orenian throne. You know the story of how Murod murdered the Emperor and his family, the very souls he had sworn to protect. The Jade Temple priesthood met a similar fate. By speaking the prophecy, they lost their heads. You have the power to avenge them.

Lost their heads?

Guardian of the shrine: Murod did not kill them all. Some escaped, and I was among them. For years I have guarded this shrine, waiting for the Summoner to fulfill his prophecy. I have sworn to keep vigil at this shrine. Here I guard the Ring of the Forest. It holds the power of the dragon Dai, who saved the village of Liangshan so long ago. With this ring you will be powerful enough to fulfill your destiny.

Destiny?

Guardian of the shrine: Once you have the Ring, you must confront Murod, who waits for you in the Jade Temple. When Murod has fallen, the Ring of Jade will be yours, and Gaodi's true heir will claim her throne.

General Wentao and his men are coming to destroy the shrine. A wounded soldier told us.

Guardian of the shrine: *Nods gravely.* The evil spirits of the forest will not come here, but I have nothing to protect myself against Murod's soldiers. Please help me defend the shrine.

Here they come! *Jekhar shouts, pointing in the direction of the bridge.*

Either a combination of Flece and her rampages, the oni, the forest poison, or all of the above, this army is pathetic!

That was it. :flaccid: Wentao was one of those two soldiers. Didn't even matter which.

Guardian of the shrine: Stands in Eleh's shadow. Behind the shrine you will find a path out of the forest. The prayers of Orenia go with you.

I need two pieces of bark from this tree.

Guardian of the shrine: The prophecy said nothing about this, but mysterious are the ways of fate. If you need two pieces of tree bark, then I will give you two pieces of tree bark. Who am I to pass judgement?

I love that Joseph is finally embracing this whole prophecy thing after getting his hand back.

Let's check out our new summon!

Remember the river spirits bones? Yeah, the Ring of the Forest contains not only the dragon Dai, but his foe the poisonous river spirit! Cool detail.

~In Memoriam~

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

While I read the update I couldn't help but think the last name of the guy the town was named after was probably Sylvar. It'd explain why a local tree's bark was tasty to cats at any rate. :v:

of course, the cutscene pronunciation ruined that pun, but still

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Huh. So now we're killing The Riders. I suppose it's about time for that, and I appreciate that they're not pretending individual Riders are a threat anymore.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

gently caress yes Jekhar, he continues to rule.

Why couldn't HE have been the Summoner instead?

Also I love the "Cat Who is Death"-subquest. Though I guess there is the question of why the hell there is a talking cat at all.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

While I read the update I couldn't help but think the last name of the guy the town was named after was probably Sylvar. It'd explain why a local tree's bark was tasty to cats at any rate. :v:

of course, the cutscene pronunciation ruined that pun, but still

Maybe the tree was related to the nepeta cataria, A.K.A. catnip

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

PurpleXVI posted:

Though I guess there is the question of why the hell there is a talking cat at all.

The real question is 'Why the hell isn't there a talking cat at all?'

Wish there were some good quality Jekhar art, too. Not much of anything for Summoner at all sadly.

I mean, look at this.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Part 18 - The Jade Temple

On our way back to Wolong we try and locate the catte and Ahlang. There are a ton of rohkuls.

Death: A present for me? Ah, how enticing! *The cat says as he sniffs at it. He begins to chew the bark eagerly.*

Ahlang: So if I give a piece of tree bark to the cat, he will chew it, and that will give me time to run away? Clever idea, but the tree grows in Liangshan, you said. That forest is haunted. All things considered, I'm safer with the cat.

Give him the tree bark.

Ahlang: Ah! I knew I could count on you! So all I need to do is give this bark to the cat, and he will chew it? How clever! A talking cat is a spooky thing. Thank you for your help, friend!

Soundtrack - Wolong

Nandi: *Nandi takes the plants you gathered and grinds them up with a mortar and pestle. From her robes, she produces a vial of dark, reddish liquid that looks like blood. She mixes the ingredients together, singing a song that reminds you of the tune that Sizhe sang to heal you. At last, she pours the mixture into a vial and gives it to you.* This is for you, One-Hand.

It's just a regen potion. Oh well, we've seen even less impressive rewards before.

Fangyin: Because of your kindness, the spirits of my sons will find rest. I can only begin to repay your generosity.

I found your wizard hat.

Longyue: *Longyue begins to weep.* You bear the terrible burden of prophecy, yet you risked all to save an old coward! You are a generous soul indeed.

I decide to buy Jekhar some new plate, because looking cool is really the most important thing at this point.

Jade Temple Priest: The Nhuvasarim were born in the second Araenugeth, when Laharah brought chaos and discord to the people of this world.

What happened to Murod?

Jade Temple Priest: Seduced by their magic, Murod declared himself a god and the heir of Urath, Emperor of Heaven.

Chaos and discord?

Jade Temple Priest: In the despair and suffering of others, the Nhuvasarim found the source of all their power. Their influence in this world is growing.

Their influence is growing?

Jade Temple Priest: Disciples of the Nhuvasarim rule in Medeva as well, under the reign of Sornehan and Galienne.

Soundtrack - Wolong Caverns

Returning to the caverns, there is a new, uhhh, face isn't quite the right word.

Jade Temple Ghost: The villagers believed it would appease the dragon. For a long time, they did not understand that the dragon was sad, not angry. He needed music and laughter to cheer him.

*Throw the box into the pit. You watch as the box vanishes silently into the darkness.*

Jade Temple Ghost: Who gave you the box? *The ghost asks, staring into the abyss.*

*The ghost listens as you explain how you met Piaobo in the forest of Liangshan, and how she told you of her childhood.*

Jade Temple Ghost: The girl named Piaobo left Wolong many years ago. Eight hundred years, if the stories are true.

That's a really old little kid.

Azha the archlich: Ah, how quickly these worms grow weary of life! I shall end your suffering.

Now, remember Azha the "Invincible"?

Balis the demilich: Azha will not burn. Neither stone nor sword nor stick will make him weep. Cold will not hurt him. Nor will Azha die by lightning. But kill Azha and bring his bone and Balis will show you.

Well, I don't see poison on that list!

Or lever activated floor spikes!

Or the water dragon!

Or the dragon of the four winds!

And there is one other way, ironically, the Death spell. Though, I did not have enough points in Dark on any characters at this point.

He drops his femur and a nice robe for Rosalind.

When it rains it pours new robes for Rosalind.

Balis the demilich: Azha is dead! You have made Balis happy, and Balis will show you now. Yes! Yes! Follow, and do not wander.

Would have been nice to have way back when. Fun fact: I still got lost trying to get back out of the caverns.

Deep in the caverns we also found the final pieces of the statue. How Murod's soldiers got past us and deep, deep into the caverns and Liangshan, I will never know.

Caishi the sculptor: All I need to do is find the missing pieces!

I found the statue pieces.

Caishi the sculptor: Ah, yes! The right leg! Oft overlooked but essential nonetheless.

Caishi the sculptor: What luck! The flesh-and-blood Gaodi II stood tall and proud. If his statue leaned dangerously to one side, visitors to the temple would be imperiled!

Caishi the sculptor: Splendid that right arm shall wield the sword of justic and strike down the wicked in a vengeful fury! I cannot sing your praises loudly enough!

Caishi the sculptor: The gods be praised! That arm shall be held open to all who visit the Jade Temple and the court of his rightful heir. You have my eternal gratitude.

Caishi the sculptor: Wonderful! Emperor Gaodi will need his head! How else will he think? How else will he issue his decrees and injunctions? And you must admit, I did a fine job carving it!

How is the statue coming?

Caishi the sculptor: It will take me many days and not a little magic to restore Gaodi's statue. Now you must restore Gaodi's heir to the throne as the Jade Temple has foretold! For your kindness, please accept this gift. Take it with my deepest thanks!

Behind a building we see someone new in town.

She is looking pretty good for an 800 year old.

She gives us a pretty nice ring for Flece, too. Anything to increase the chance of a trip is gold.

And now, only one thing remains in Orenia, which is apparently just Wolong, a haunted forest, and a palace next to a huge tower of slaves.

Soundtrack - Jade Temple

Murod is mere steps away from us now. Only some soldiers to get through.

Though he does have some soldiers of quality left.

I'm pretty sure the riders are more intimidated at this point. Though being literally from hell, I'm not sure if they can be.

The snake rider alone was more of a challenge than both of these guys.

The ghost rider shows off his one cool trick. Jekhar is not impressed.

Unfortunately we don't have our fart mist elemental to completely dismantle the tiger rider.

Backstabs will just have to suffice for the both of them.

They leave some nice pieces.

Jekhar's equipment cool factor continues to rise.

The temple itself is quite nice, and shows that Murod did not always rule here.

Nor did he do the typical thing and redecorate to an evil motif after seizing power.

Hidden away to the side is an old Khosani artifact. Wonder how they are doing now, in Demon Land.

The Happiest Place on Earth!

Finally time for the prophetic confrontation.

After we search the room for items.

Eh, not bad. But it doesn't look cool enough for this battle.

Murod also has some nerds sorcerers hiding in the back. We take them out, so they won't interrupt us.

The Jade Temple

Murod: The Summoner has returned to Eleh.

Murod: No prophecy will deliver you from my wrath this time!

Murod: You will die here. Before the Jade Temple.

Murod: Before the very altar where the prophecy against me was uttered!

Murod: I shall prove to those meddlesome priests that Murod, third Emperor of Heaven, fears no man!

All you have done to silence the prophecy, Murod, has made it come true in the end.

By this hand, I will crush your tyranny!

The true heir of Orenia's throne has returned!

Murod: Muahahaha! The true heir of Orenia's throne?

Murod: The rightful head to wear this crown?

Murod: You see how pathetic you are?!

Murod: Orenia matters not. A wasteland of stone and dust. You can have your pitiful throne!

Murod: Your friend can wear her crown as she pleases!

Murod: But I shall become the lord of all creation!

Of course the first thing he does is teleport to where his sorcerer used to be. Let's introduce him to our new friend.

Dai, the dragon of the forest. I'm not 100% sure but I don't think this actually does any damage.

It does, however, give everyone the Empower enchantment. An Empowered Jekhar and Flece is far deadlier than any single dragon.

Case in point. But this isn't the end for Murod. He is an evil Nhuvasarim, after all.

That's more like it! Murod Oni puts up a pretty tough fight.

He can do a spin attack to hit everyone within range for a good chunk of damage.

His attacks are strong, fast, and relentless. He takes out Flece and Rosalind. Unlucky for Murod though as Jekhar is on point and drops him like a sack of dirt.

Death of a Tyrant

Gross.

:vomarine:
:barf:

Prophecy fulfilled. Joseph's bad luck may have finally run its course. Its kingdom destroying, misery spreading, hand melting course.

The final dragon ring is ours. Time to introduce them to their old friends, the demons.

This bad boy walks like a mech.

He even has a beam. Can't wait to take him for a spin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
That's a pretty good transform-into-second-form thing he's got going on there. It's just so ridiculous looking!

• Locked thread