Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"That’s cheating! You know the rules: once you sacrifice something here, you don’t get it back!"

Prior to being contacted by The Black Circle, you had heard only rumors and whispers of such a group existing. The idea that anyone could operate on a higher level than the Icons seemed ludicrous, but now you have seen just the tiniest sliver of their machinations. Gathered from around the world, five extraordinary people are sent to complete a task that will change the history of the seven kingdoms, one way or another.

Each of you is contacted by a different agent. It may be a tall, broad-shouldered orc with a scar across his neck, it may be a handsome and bookish gnome with a stutter. You are told very little, only that The Black Circle is real and that it has played a role in proceedings for centuries. At first you are doubtful, but the agent who reaches you is persuasive. What's more, they seem able to offer precisely the thing you need, be it riches, power or answers. You are warned that the task ahead is dangerous and that you may not return alive. You are given identical briefings.

"The Leviathan was an Icon of the old ages. She has been all but forgotten on the surface world. The Icons presume her dead, and the public presume her a myth that never was. However, in the darkest depths of the ocean and the nastiest undergound caves, there are those who still serve her. The ugly and evil and mindless look to her, though she is neither ugly nor mindless, and now through some twist of fate she has found herself in possession of a terrible artifact. She likely does not understand the raw power she wields, but the other Icons will, and they will not stop to possess it themselves. Peace has just settled, we do not want another war."

You are given a map with a mark on the northern edge of The Midland Sea. It is there that you will find your destiny, and possibly your death.

---

It is a warm afternoon. The party gather, one by one, on a long stretch of white beach. The Midland Sea is not know for its beaches, but here there is a long path of clear sand and rocky outcrops. The ocean is a deep and unrelenting blue topped with clean white foam. Gulls cry and circle overhead, occasionally diving and catching fish. Waiting for the party is an agent clad in the uniform of a desert ranger. Long sand-coloured straps hang from his body, and his eyes are shielded with black lenses against the sun and the sand.

"Well met, friends. It seems that everyone has gathered. Good. My name is Agent Sand, and I am just here to guide you into the caverns. We do not know what threats await you down there, but there will be danger. If you do encounter The Leviathan, DO NOT attempt to slay her. She has power and strength beyond the grasp of any of us. We do not need her dead, just the artifact. What form this artifact will take, we do not know, but you will know it when you find it. Come here, let me show you something."

He paces over to a patch of dark ropy seaweed, glances around, then kicks some aside with one boot. Below lies the bloated, waterlogged corpse of an elderly man. There are three arrows, matching those in Agent Sand's quiver, protruding from his chest. Hideous albino worms weave in and out of his skin and misshapen crustaceans burrow out of his cheeks and scuttle away.

"These vermin were not in the seaweed," Agent Sand says with a grimace. "They lay inside his body. Note the state of the body? I killed this man only three hours ago. He came from the cavern mouth and nearly discovered me, I could not take the risk."

He points down the beach towards a large cluster of rocks. The ocean turns to a stream and vanishes between them. There is room to walk alongside it, but the path quickly turns off.

"There is your entrance. My advice is simple. Go deep. The Leviathan and her agents burrow and dig and swim as deep as they can into the coldest, darkest parts of the earth. That is where you will find what you need. I shall wait here for your return. Good luck, friends."

Okay, normal posting rules. Use Orokos with the campaign name The Black Circle I. As a reminder, I will be trying to post daily. If you don't post, I will skip you. Get to know each other, ask Agent Sand any questions you may have, and then let's get going!

OOC Thread

Captain_Indigo fucked around with this message at 10:33 on May 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
The Phoenix

The Phoenix looked at the corpse of the old man, with an expression of sorrow on her mortal face. She did not cry or shed a tear, but rather studied the strange creatures coming out of the body. "You are forgiven, Sand, I fear he was dead much before you ever laid eyes on him." She reaches down and touches the corpse's forehead with a spark of flame at her fingertips. When she moved her hands away, the flames did not spread and instead died away. The corpse had far too much water in him to burn from just a little spark. It would take more to purify the body with a proper cremation.

Purifying the Corpse (Flames+Int): 1d20+4+4+4 27 (Just to get Orokos started for the campaign)

This time she crouched down, and placed both hands on the body, flames dancing around like fiery claws. Carefully she used the flame claws to cut into the body, steam hissing loudly as the water trapped in the body tried to resist purification. The creatures inside tried to escape the flames, but she moved her hands to block their escape. After several seconds of hissing steam, the hissing died away as the stench of burning flesh filled the air. The Phoenix stood up then, paying no mind to the stench, and walked away with her task complete.

quote:

The Phoenix
Level 4 Wood Elf Occultist

STR 8 (-1)
CON 14 (+2)
DEX 10 (+0)
INT 18 (+4)
WIS 18 (+4)
CHA 13 (+1)

+2 Wisdom from race, +2 Intelligence from class.
+1 Wis, Int, Cha from Level 4

Max Hit Points: 48
Max Recoveries: 8
Recovery value: 4d6+2
Armor Class: 17 (Base 11, Level 4, CON 2)
Physical Defense: 14 (Base 10, Level 4, DEX 0)
Mental Defense: 19 (Base 11, Level 4, WIS 4)
Initiative: +4

Backgrounds:
Flames of Purification +4
Tears of Restoration +4

Race Features
Reborn Grace: (Elven Grace)
This body is clumsy compared to my graceful wings, but I'm still mastering it. At the start of each of my turns, roll a die to see if I get an extra standard action. If the roll is equal to or lower than the escalation die, I get an extra standard action that turn. Roll d6, d8, d10, d12, d20, N/A, moving right if I get an action.

Class Features
No Implements: (Arcane Implements)
Wands? Staves? My power is my own. I have no need for implements or any other kind of magic item.

Delayed Magical Healing:
This body does not regenerate like my old one. Magical healing effects apply at the start of the next turn of whoever applied it.

Focus and Spellcasting:
Drawing upon my old power is tricky, but manageable. I spend a Standard Action to gain Focus, which is spent to cast a spell as an Interrupt Action. Each spell has a chance to let me Retain Focus if I roll within it's range.
Adventurer Feat: When I cast a spell and retain focus, I gain +2 bonus to all defenses until the start of my next turn.

Rebuke
If I manage to Retain my Focus, I can cast it out as a Quick Action, before gaining it again.
Karmic Rebuke
Close-quarters, Quick (Focus), At-Will
Target: One nearby enemy
Attack: Int+Lv vs MD/PD
Hit: 3d6+Wis psychic/fire damage

Uniqueness
I am the only Phoenix in the world. I am also not the Occultist...whoever it is remains unknown to the world.

Spell Choices and Flexible Recharge
If I recharge a spell, I can chose to keep it, or take another spell at that slot. I can't slot the same spell twice at the same time however.

Talents 4 at Lv1
Hewer of Truth
Though I do not have my claws anymore, my magic can still strike out like any other longsword (with d8 damage die), as I rend the flawed parts of the world to pieces. I use Intelligence instead of Strength to melee attack this way, and Wisdom instead of Strength for damage. In addition, when I hit an engaged enemy with a spell, they take ongoing damage equal to my melee attack miss damage.

Icon Relations (Icon Channeler)
As an Icon, I have relations with the other Icons as well. I have three fewer relationship dice than normal. Instead, when all characters roll relationship dice, I get a 5 to apply to any icon I choose. I still roll all other relationship dice as normal.

Otherworld Flame (Otherworld Shadow)
My spirit still remembers my old form, and it manifests to protect me. Once per day, as an Interrupt Action, negate all damage and effects from an enemy's attacks against me as my aura absorbs them. This includes multiple attacks from a single monster, or mooks in a mob together.

Twisting Flames (Warp Flesh)
When I cast a spell that targets MD, and the target has higher MD than PD, it spell twists and targets PD instead. When a spell twists this way, it deals force fire damage instead of it's normal damage type.
Adventurer Feat: When a spell twists, I can temporary hit points equal to my Wisdom modifier.

Spells Six 3rd Lv. spells at Level 4.

Better Yet, Here
Close-quarters, Interrupt (Focus), At Will
Trigger: Ally hits, not crits, a nearby Enemy
Target: The Enemy
Hit: 4d6+Wis extra damage to the attack. If this crits, double only this damage.
Miss: Damage equal to spell level
Retain Focus: 1-5

Bitter Lessons
Close-quarters, Interrupt (Focus), Recharge 16+
Trigger: Nearby Enemy misses an Ally with an attack.
Hit: 4d6+Wis psychic/fire damage, Ally gains same amount in THP.
Miss: Half damage to Enemy, Half damage to the Phoenix.
Retain Focus: 1-15

Diversion of Pain
Close-quarters, Interrupt (Focus), Recharge 6+
Trigger: Nearby 5th Lv. enemy hits ally with an attack that could have targeted you or a different ally.
Effect: The triggering attack now targets you ore a different ally of your choice, as long as that creature would be a legal target of the attack. Keep the attack roll.
Retain Focus: 1-15
Adventurer Feat: The new target of the attack gains a +2 to all defenses against the triggering attack.

Moment of Karma
Close-quarters, Interrupt (Focus), At Will
Trigger: Nearby Enemy hits me with an attack
Hit: 5d6+Wis psychic/fire damage

Timely Mistake
Trigger: Nearby enemy hits you or an ally with a natural odd attack roll.
Target: The attacking enemy
Hit: 3d6+Wis psychic/fire damage, target rerolls attack, must use the lower
Adventurer Feat: If the triggering attack targets an ally, they gain my Wis to all defenses against re rolled attack

Strike of the Last Breath
Trigger: Nearby Ally drops to 0 hp or below from the attack of an Enemy engaged with it.
Target: The Ally
Effect: Before dropping, Ally makes a basic attack against the enemy using my attack roll. On a hit, deal normal damage and the Ally takes 5d6+Wis less damage from the triggering attack.
Note: The Ally needs to be able to make a basic attack, or this spell has no effect.

Krysmphoenix fucked around with this message at 15:42 on May 14, 2015

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

All makt åt Tengil, vår befriare.

Augusta Bloodstar

Icon Rolls: Orc Lord, Dwarf King, Emperor: 3#1d6 3 1 4 Nada!

Augusta inspects her new companions with inquisitive eyes.

First up, a dainty nobleborn half-elf. Looks like he'd snap in half if someone looked at him funny. Still, being born into wealth and power allows for education and time to practice skills, there is no telling what he kept hidden.

Second, a man made out of stone. A spell perhaps, or maybe a curse? Nevertheless, looks formidable, but is he flexible enough to do anything but imitate a statue like that?

Then we have someone that looks even more dead than the poor sod lying in the water. She did not want to start speculating what kind of powers lie behind that. What the hell had she gotten herself into?

And finally, one more mystery to add to the pile. Augusta had no idea what to make of her, but she could practically feel the heat radiating from her. Nevertheless, she looks soft.

To summarize, where in the thirteen hells had the Black Circle found these people?

She turns to Sand with a face filled with skepticism. "I can't say you're inspiring much confidence here. I'm to head into unknown hostile terrain facing enemies I do not know with strangers as allies. What do you expect we will face down there, more of these puppets?" She spits into the water. "Or do they only put on this show when they go to dry places?"

pre:
Augusta Bloodstar

Stats		Commands (Point Cost)	Tactics & Special (Recharge)
HP 60/60 	Get Out of There! (1)	[*] Outmaneuver (At-Will)
AC 21		Try Again (2)		[ ] Basic Tactical Strike (11+)
PD 17		Rally Now (1 or 2)	[ ] Enforce Clarity (16+)
MD 16		Hit Harder (1)		[ ] Lethal (Per-battle)
Rec 8/8 (4d8+3) 			[ ] Tactician Initiative
Command Points 1

Orcish Greataxe +8 vs AC — 4d10+4 Damage

One Tall Fellow
Oct 22, 2006

Bow wow best friend.

Bow wow best friend.

Bow wow best friend.
Gerhardt Stonebrook

Icon Relationships: Emperor (4,1) Elf Queen, Archmage (3;4) Also nothing!

Gerhardt takes a small sachet from his pocket and holds it to his nose as the corpse burns. With the unpleasant side of the group's business already rearing its head, he was glad he brought along a small number of these creature comforts to ease him into the experience. However, the way the half-orc was eyeing him (and did he see her roll her eyes as he inhaled the sweet scent of his sachet? His suspicion lingers) gave Gerhardt cause to regret his decision to leave his brandy behind. Social lubricant would not be unwelcome here.

Despite the jab at himself and his companions, Augusta does make a good point in asking about the burning creature. "Yes, I am also curious about the puppets -- are they such, by the way?" Gerhardt asks. "Are these maggots controlling entities, or mere parasites? If they aren't a means of outright control, perhaps they are the Leviathan's idea of a gift to her servants? It would be nice to have a more thorough understanding of what we will be up against."

One Tall Fellow fucked around with this message at 19:08 on May 9, 2015

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

Monk Shoto

Monk Shoto examines his companions with unblinking eyes. One with the essence of flame, one of strife, one of death, and one of regal bearing. An unusual gathering of individuals, but then, who was he to judge?

Upon sight of the body, the monk frowns. "His body appears quite corrupted. His spirit likely harbored similar disease. Perhaps your purification of the body will, in turn, purify the spirit."

Icon dice (Emperor, Dwarf King x2): 3#1d6 1 2 2 RIP.
pre:
Monk Shoto

Stats		Flow Progression	Ki Powers
HP 54/54	-Opening Attack-	Supreme Warrior Discipline
AC 17(0)	Flow Attack		Diamond Soul
PD 19(0)	Finishing Attack	The Willow Bends
MD 15(0)				Become the Dragon
Init: +8
Rec 8/8 (4d8+2) 			Encounter
Ki Points: 5/5				[ ]Temple Weapon Master

Naginata Thrust +8 vs AC — 4d8+4 Damage

+2 bonus to all saves when not staggered.
When I get hit by a ranged or close-quarters attack that targets AC or PD, I roll a normal save. 
If I succeed, I take only half damage from the attack.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Mort

Mort takes his cigarette from his mouth and speaks. "Do not worry Sand. Death comes to All." Then he turns toward the others.

"I heard some concern about traveling with those you do not know. Suffice to say I and the fiery lady have met before, many times. And I was there in her darkest moment, though she may not thank me for it. Few thank me. Though some have payed me in a pair of coins." He gestures toward The Phoenix as he speaks.

Then he gestures toward himself with his cigarette. "I... well you can call me Mort. Not the name I used when the two of us had been peers. But I don't really have the right to that name anymore." He gestures to an empty space beside him, where an ancient skeleton appears stepping out of the shadows. "And this is Mr. Deadbody, my boon companion. Please don't mind the appearance, but he has seen better days."

Icon Dice (Lich King x2, Leviathan) 1, 2, 4

pre:
Mort
Level 4 Human Necromancer

One Unique Thing A former Icon, Death, who had his power ripped from him by
the Wizard King, who would use it to become the Lich King. 

STR	10	(+0)		Hit Points	36/36
CON	08	(-1)		Recoveries	8
DEX	10	(+0) 		Recovery Dice	4(d6)-1
INT	18 	(+4)		Armour Class	14
WIS	12	(+1)		Physical Def.	14
CHA	18	(+4)		Mental Def.	19
 				Initiative	+4

Icons
        The Lich King (Negative 2)
	 	The Lich King, or rather the Wizard King, had struck me down 
		and stole my power, becoming the Lich King, and misuses my 
		power to try and extend his own “life” seeking for eternity.
        Leviathan (Negative 1)
		The Leviathan is attempting to use an artifact to go against the 
		nature of the world.  The Balance will be ripped asunder.  And
		that is not something that can be borne.  

Backgrounds
	Walk the Ages +3
	Master of Death, Life and Undead +5

Feats
	Deathknell (A)
		When I use Deathknell, one of my nearby conscious allies can gain
		the healing instead of me.
    	Skeletal Minion (A)
		My skeletal minion now adds the escalation die to its attack rolls.
    	Wasting Away (A)
		If Con mod is negative, add +1 to necro spell attacks.
    	Skeletal Minion (A)
		As a quick action can set my skeletal minion ablaze, or extinguish
		the blaze.  While it is flaming, its damage dice increase by one
		size, and it deals fire damage with its melee attacks, but it takes
		damage equal to my level (4) each time its natural attack roll is odd.
    	Sorta Dead (A)
		Gain Resist Poison 16+ and Resist Negative Energy 16+.

Class Feature
	Arcane Implements:  Best options are wands and staffs.
	Death’s Master:  Must have at least one Relationship Point with the Lich King.  
	Unless my OUT suggests that I might be free of this requirement. 
	Ritual Magic:  Can cast my spells as rituals.
	Spell Choices:  Like standard spell casters I choose the spells I will be able to cast after
	each full heal-up.
	Summoning:  Use the standard summoning rules presented on page xx.
	Wasting Away:  If Con modifier is positive subtract it from my necromancer attack rolls
	If my Con modifier is +0 it has no effect on my necromancer spell attacks.  If I have a negative
	Con modifier it has no effect, unless I take one of the following feats.  Don’t die until I fail
	five death saves.  Similarly don’t succumb to last gasp save effects until I fail the fifth save.

Talents
	Deathknell:  As a quick action I can slay a nearby enemy that has 10 hp or fewer.  When
	I drop an enemy using Deathknell I heal 1d10 hit points.  I can use Deathknell to slay a mook,
	but only if it’s the last mook in its mob and the mob has 10 hp or fewer left.
	Sorta Dead:  In some ways I am already dead.  Don't need to eat or sleep or breathe.
	I can't drown in normal water/liquid, though magical gas will probably still affect me.
	When a spell or effect targets or applies to undead, I can decide whether I want to count as
	undead for that specific effect.  The first time I die each level, roll a normal save, adding 
	my Cha mod (+4).  If I succeed I heal using a free recovery instead of dying.  If I were
	dying because of last gasp saves, consider myself saved from the last gasp problem also.
	Skeletal Minion:  I have a skeleton minion the same level as me that acts as a servant,
	fights alongside me in battle, and is replaced by a new skeletal minion when it inevitably
	collapses or is destroyed.  Technically is not a summoned creature, so those rules don’t apply.
	My skeletal minion fights alongside me, taking a standard action and a move action each turn.
	Acts on my Initiative, I decide whether it takes its turn before or after me.  Ordinarily it 
	cannot heal, when it drops to 0 hp it’s destroyed for this battle.  When I take a quick rest I can 
	summon, create or dig up a new skeletal minion, or patch the old one back together.
		Level 4 Skeletal Minion
		Attack +10 vs. AC
		Damage 2d6(2d8 on fire!)
		AC  21
		PD  19
		MD  15
		HP  27

Spells:
   Chant of Endings: At-Will.  Ranged Spell.
	Target:  The nearby enemy with the fewest hit points (I choose if there’s a tie;
	I also don’t have to be able to see that enemy)
	Attack:  1d20+9 vs. MD (Int+Level+1 vs. MD)
	Hit:  4d6+4 (4d6 + Int) negative energy damage.
	Miss:  
   The Bones Beneath: Daily.  Ranged Spell.
	Target:  1 nearby mook (and hence its mob)
	Attack:  1d20+9 vs. PD (Int+Level+1 vs. PD)
	Hit:  4d12+4 (4d12 + Int) negative energy damage, and each mook
	in the mob that drops becomes a skeleton mook under my control
	until the end of the battle.
	Miss:  Half damage, and each mook in the mob that drops becomes
	a skeleton mook under my control until the end of the battle.
		Just-Ripped-Free-Skeleton Mook
		3rd level Mook [UNDEAD]
		Initiative:  +8
		Vulnerability:  holy
		Sword or axe or whatever +8 vs. AC - 5 damage
		Resist Weapons 16+:  When a weapon attack targets this creature,
		the attacker must roll a natural 16+ on the attack roll or it only deals 
		half damage.
		AC  18
		PD  16
		MD  12
		HP  11 (mook)
		Mook:  Kill one just-ripped free skeleton mook for every 16 damage that is 
		dealt to the mob.

Ghoul Form: Daily.  Ranged Spell.
	Target:  Myself or one willing nearby ally.
	Effect:  Until the end of the battle, the target gains a +4 melee attack bonus.
	In addition, enemies engaged with the target are vulnerable to its melee attacks.
	The target also only gains half the normal amount from healing effects, no
	matter the source.

Summon Undead: Daily.  Ranged Spell.
	Effect:  I summon a mob of 1d3+1 putrid zombie mooks, as per the summoning rules.
	They fight for me until the end of the battle or until they drop to 0 hp, whichever comes first.
	As I cast the spell at higher levels the type of mooks change.
		Putrid Zombie
		3rd level Mook [UNDEAD]
		Initiative:  +2
		Rotting Fist +7 vs. AC - 5 damage
		  Natural 16+:  Both the zombie and its target take 1d6 damage!
		Headshot:  A critical hit against a putrid zombie deals triple damage
		instead of the normal damage for a crit.
		AC  18
		PD  16
		MD  12
		HP  16 (mook)
		Mook:  Kill one putrid zombie mook for every 16 damage that is 
		dealt to the mob.

Summon Horror:  Daily.  Ranged Spell.
	Effect:  I summon a ghoul, as per the summoning rules on page 11.  The summoned
	ghoul fights for me until the end of the battle or until it drops to 0 hp, whichever
	comes first.  As I cast the spell at higher levels, the creature I summon varies.
		Ghoul
		3rd level spoiler [UNDEAD]
		Initiative:  +8
		Claws and bite +8 vs. AC - 8 damage
		  Natural even hit:  The target is vulnerable (attacks vs it have
		  crit range expanded by 2) to attacks by undead until the end of the 
		  ghoul's next turn.
		Pound of Flesh:  The ghoul's claws and bite attack deals +4
		damage against vulnerable targets.
		Infected Bite:  Any creature that is slain by a ghoul and not 
		consumed will rise as a ghoul the next night.
		AC  18
		PD  16
		MD  12
		HP  20 
		Mook:  Kill one putrid zombie mook for every 16 damage that is 
		dealt to the mob.

Wave of Decay:  Daily.  Ranged Spell.
	Effect:  I choose a nearby enemy.  It takes 2d6 negative energy damage for
	each point of the escalation die.  (For example the escalation die is 2 when
	I cast the spell, I'll deal 4d6 negative energy damage to the target.)  Until
	the end of the battle, as a free action at the start of each of my turns, I repeat
	the effect above, choosing a target and dealing damage based on the 
	escalation die value.  The effect ends at the end of the battle, when I drop to
	0 hp, or when Wave of Decay damage drops an enemy to 0 hp.

Racial Power
	Quick to Fight
		At the start of each battle, roll Initiative twice and choose the result I want.

Basic Attacks
	Melee At-Will
	Target: One enemy
	Attack: Str+Level (4) vs AC
	Hit: Weapon (1d4/lvl) + Str (0) damage
	Miss: -

Ranged At-Will
	Target: One enemy
	Attack: Dex+Level (4) vs AC
	Hit: Weapon (1d4/lvl) + Dex (0) damage
	Miss: -

Equipment
	Dagger (1d4)
	Ancient Dusty Clothes  (Clothes)
	Cigarette 
	25 gold 0 silver

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"That’s cheating! You know the rules: once you sacrifice something here, you don’t get it back!"

The Phoenix turns her back on the body, content that it has been purified. However, a sound draws her attention back. It is a sound like sand pouring through an hourglass - a quiet but rough grating that seems to emerge from between the lips of the dead man. The myriad of creatures living inside him remain dead, but the host twitches listlessly.

Suddenly, a dark black foam forms at his lips. It bubbles slowly into a foul-smelling, bleachy froth that runs down his chin and soaks into the beach sand.

"Did you see that? Looks like some sort of curse or dark blessing. Good work on purifying the body." Agent Sand raises an eyebrow at Augusta's words. "I was led to believe you knew the sort of mission you would be undertaking for us. I don't wish to be accused of misleading anyone, this is a dangerous mission and an extremely important one. If you do not wish to take this task on then you are more than free to walk away, but you're all here because you want something."

He ducks down and plucks one of the dead maggots from the corpse's arm. "I don't think these things were controlling him. Not directly anyway. You might be right that they served as some form of boon or gift from The Leviathan, or perhaps that's just how you end up if you spend enough time living in the caverns." He throws the bloated maggot in a small arc towards Gerhardt. "You're welcome to examine it if you like. I don't know what you'll find in there but expect things with lots of eyes, lots of scales, and lots of legs. I've been informed that some of the local townsfolk still pray to The Leviathan in a sort of... semi-serious way, I suppose. They don't seem to REALLY believe in her as a legitimate deity, more like an abstract, but where there is religion there is fanaticism. This poor bastard was possibly a religious servitor of some kind."

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Augusta Bloodstar

Augusta snarls at Sand. "I never said anything about walking away. Do not take me for a coward. I'd do this mission if all I had for backup was a bunch of fat pampered princesses freshly plucked from their fathers' castles."

Augusta turns towards the party before they have a chance to feel too offended. "I am sure you are here for a reason, just like me. And just like me you know how to handle yourselves, unless this Black Circle is more foolish than I think." She shifts her feet to stand broadly in front of everyone, her knuckles whiten as she tightens the grip on her weapon. "I'm Augusta Bloodstar. I have lead many good men into combat and into death." She lifts her axe and slams the end of the handle into the sand "This is my weapon of choice, I lead from the front. I do not put anyone that put their faith in me in a situation that I am not ready to dive headfirst into myself." She lifts her axe and points it towards the body. "If arrows can kill them then I don't see a cause for concern, no matter how much they like to twitch in defiance after the fact. If we want to know what they are I say we go into that cave and root them out, for the best lessons are learned when your life is on the line."

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Mort

As Augusta snarls and speaks of leading many into battle and death the sparkle in Mort's ... eye sockets flares briefly and he speaks. "Yes. Yes you have."

He looks at the body again, and responds to her arrow comment. "It matters not if arrows can kill them, or not. All things die. All things end. All pass into the embrace of Death. Still I can hardly fault you if you wish to hasten things. Mr. Deadbody and I shall shall follow you if you wish to lead the way into the cave."

He turns to the skeleton, "isn't that right Mr. Deadbody?" He cocks his skull as if listening to a response, though the skeleton remains motionless and no words seem to leave its mouth. "Oh Mr. Deadbody you do go on. You know we don't care which side she led to death." He listens to some more silence. "Now, now Mr. Deadbody do you really think you have the moral high ground to say that?" He shakes his skull then turns back to the others.

"Yes. Well Mr. Deadbody and I shall follow, and if you need some muscle to keep you safe Mr. Deadbody has graciously offered to lead the way." He mimes an awkward cough. Then replaces his cigarette. Soon smoke curls out of his eye sockets.

Ryuujin fucked around with this message at 01:02 on May 12, 2015

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

Monk Shoto

"I suppose it's time for us to introduce ourselves. I am Monk Shoto, of the Autumn and Spring Temple," he says, omitting the fact that the other members of his order died out Ages ago. He bows graciously towards each member of the party in turn.

"An honor to meet you, Mort. You are correct. Just as spring growth must always give way to autumn decay, all life eventually gives way to death," though as the monk says the words, he silently wonders if his stone body might prove an exception. "And an honor to meet you as well, Augusta Bloodstar. Before you rush headlong into the cave, please remember that our mission is not to eradicate these cultists, but to retrieve the relic."

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Augusta Bloodstar

Augusta narrows her eyes at Mort. So he knew something of her past, perhaps it was a mistake to have used her last name. She decides to let it slide, there are other things to worry about today. Her gaze lingers for a moment longer then she turns to the stone man. She nods at his greeting. "Well met Monk Shoto. If they have left that thing right at the cave entrance I certainly won't mind, but I expect us to have to wade in until we are knee deep in these critters before we see a sign of it. And do not forget, we are here to destroy it, not excavate it so others can put their grubby paws on it."

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

Agent Sand watches the introductions take place before him with a wry smile of amusement.

"The Black Circle always find such strange folk," he says with a chuckle that momentarily cuts through the tiredness on his face. "I've scoped out the cavern as best as I can without revealing my position. I didn't seen anything that didn't belong there. There were small little fish floating in some beams of sunlight for a while, and one night a small flock of gulls took residency inside it, but this gentleman was the first sentient being I've seen enter or exit. And you are most right, Augusta Bloodstar, the artifact is NOT an item to be trifled with. Get in, destroy it, then get out as fast as you can. Whatever it is you want most in the world, The Black Circle will provide when their artificers declared it dealt with. Apparently they have tools and devices that can detect it somehow?"

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
The Phoenix

"The means to know that the artifact exists, but not to tell us what it looks like nor where it is." The Phoenix scoffs. "Seers in any Age are as cryptic and useless as always."

She dusts off her gown, before looking around to the others introducing myself. "I am the Phoenix. Or rather, I was..." A frown creeps on her face. "I don't know what happened to me, or why I'm like this, but here I am. Unfortunately my recent revival means I don't have any other names for you to use, unlike Mort over there."

(EDIT: On right, Icon Dice. I chose a 5 for the Elf Queen. If we're going into the Underworld, let's hope for friendly Dark Elves.)

Krysmphoenix fucked around with this message at 02:34 on May 11, 2015

One Tall Fellow
Oct 22, 2006

Bow wow best friend.

Bow wow best friend.

Bow wow best friend.
Gerhardt

"I'm sorry," Gerhardt says with a hint of irritation, "for not introducing myself earlier; I assumed we were here to attend to business. My name is Gerhardt Stonebrook. Rest assured that, if Ms. Bloodstar is leading from the front, that I shall be doing my best to tend to our rears."

He gestures toward the cave. "Now, unless there is anything else we need to know, Agent?"

One Tall Fellow fucked around with this message at 04:28 on May 11, 2015

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

Agent Sand watches the party head towards the cave for a few minutes, then rearranges his robes and mask. He walks slowly up the beach, then lays down and suddenly he has totally vanished. His camouflage renders him almost invisible, even when you know exactly where he is, so you trust he will be safe until your return.

The cave entrance is long and wide. What starts out as a recess into the earth, narrows and turns rocky and dark as it grows deeper. The sand beneath your feet is cool and wet, the rocks are jagged and carpeted with guano. You pass rockpools filled with tiny jellyfish and pale crabs, and clusters of shells and barnacles grow on the larger rocks. Clambering over the rougher terrain, heading deeper into the caves, you eventually find yourselves in a long system of dripping tunnels. After a few dead-ends, you realize this will not be as easy to navigate as you had hoped.

Skill Challenge!
Find a quick, safe way through the labyrinth of caves!

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Augusta Bloodstar

When a sudden blizzard descended upon the Frost Range finding cover came second to nothing, no matter how important. The shearing wind was a cruel arbitrator of life and death when it decided to sweep down the barren terrain. Regardless of how painstakingly you fastened your tent there was always the risk of it being torn away, leaving you exposed to the elements. The only certain solution was finding a cave to hold out in until the weather calmed.

When hunting alone far away from the rest of her tribe Augusta had to seek refuge inside of caves on a number of occasions. The only problem she had with caves besides being pitch black, filled with slippery surfaces and lethal falls was that some of them were already inhabitated, and just by entering you had already cornered whoever or whatever came before you. Needless to say there were quite a few reasons to step gingerly. Augusta tries to make use of her experience to avoid any literal and figurative pitfalls.

Into the Cave (Frost Range Huntress + Wis + Lvl): 1d20+3+4+4 21

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
Monk Shoto

The party eventually comes across a narrow passage completely lined with jagged rocks and vividly colored sea urchins - almost certainly of the toxic variety. Anyone entering risks getting sliced up or jabbed and injected with unknown toxins. Anyone who isn't stone, anyway. Shoto enters the cavern ahead of the others, and the jagged rocks and spines simply snap off and fall to the floor upon coming into contact with him. After he makes it to the other end of the passage, there's a person-shaped clearing that the others can follow to avoid the hazards.

Cave navigation (Terracotta Monk+CON+Level): 1d20+4+2+4 17

One Tall Fellow
Oct 22, 2006

Bow wow best friend.

Bow wow best friend.

Bow wow best friend.
Gerhardt

As the group fumbles their way through the darkness of the cave system, Gerhardt makes note of a pale, delicate mossy substance growing on the cavern walls.

"See this moss here, on the walls?" he calls out. "The Silver Folk scholar Helmut Morgenstern describes it in his groundbreaking Treatise on Subterranean Ecologies. It only flourishes the deeper one goes, though it is incredibly sensitive; slight disturbances can destroy entire colonies. If we take tunnels where it is abundant, we should have a relatively safe and calm descent."

Cave navigation (A Man of Letters and Culture +Int+Level: 1d20+5+0+4: 28

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Mort

Mort follows the others, his eyes seeing things others cannot. He sees the death that has happened in this cave, the ending of life, ever so small. And he uses these deaths as a guide for the safest path. The path that leads to the least death. Where traps, monsters, and getting lost did not occur. It is perhaps not the perfect method of traversing a maze, but it is a good way of surviving one.

Navigating through caves (Master of Death+Int+lvl) 1d20+5+4+4 20

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
The Phoenix

The Phoenix mostly hangs back, somewhat trying to hide her discomfort of dark enclosed spaces. Raising her hand as high as she can, she creates a flame for the others to navigate by, and to stay warm. The deeper they get into the ground, the colder the caves are going to become. Helping the others keep their endurance for the trials ahead is just as important as finding those trials.

Create Warmth (Flames+Wis): 1d20+4+4+4 25

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

Utilizing their various skills, the party are easily capable of navigating the entrance to the cavern system on the beach. Augusta leads the rest of the group through the cave mouth, deftly navigating her way around several ancient, but invisible traps left in the sand. As they come to a pool of waist-deep water they must wade through, Shoto takes the lead and clears the path of spines and spikes. On the other side they find a series of crevices and tunnels, any one of which might be the way through. A combination of Gerhardt's history as a student, and Mort's affiliation with the dead, lead them to pick a tall, wide crack in the cave wall. Squeezing through, the party find a long tunnel heading deeper and deeper into the earth. When the passage becomes darker and colder, The Phoenix illuminates and warms the path, creating a beacon which helpfully uncovers several suspicious looking rocks in the path. As they round a corner they find the path now lit by flaming torches at regular intervals. Whispers and the muted sounds of animals echo through the tunnel. It appears they have cleared the labirynth and entered the cave system of The Leviathan proper.

Nice work everyone!

In the alcove beyond, the party hear footsteps. They are slow, sluggish and uneven. Though the source does not sound large, the steps are lumbering and do not register as the footsteps of regular folk. A few moments later a shadow is briefly cast against the cavewall for no more than an instant, but you catch sight of a humanoid body topped with a bulbous and uneven head. There is the sound of something dragging along the stone, and then a crunch.

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Augusta Bloodstar

After witnessing the grotesque shadow on the wall Augusta turns around to the rest of the party. "I think it is safe to say that we are about to breach enemy lines. They have the area too well illuminated for us to sneak around, it's time for some good old honest aggression! Are you ready to rush in and stomp out some of those infested freaks?" She can feel the adrenaline begin to surge in anticipation for the battle ahead.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
Monk Shoto

"It would be foolish to rush in to battle without knowing anything about our opponent. Wait here, and I will scout ahead." Shoto moves towards the torchlit tunnel and presses himself up against the wall. The flickering light and shadows dance over him and it soon becomes very hard to tell where the stone walls end and the stone monk begins. His body may have changed during his long meditation, but Shoto remains as agile and dextrous as ever. He slowly sidles down the passage, hoping to catch sight of what lies ahead.

recon (terracotta monk, dex, level): 1d20+4+4+4 30

One Tall Fellow
Oct 22, 2006

Bow wow best friend.

Bow wow best friend.

Bow wow best friend.
Gerhardt

"Hold a moment, Ms. Bloodstar!" Gerhardt hisses in a stage whisper. "We neither know what, exactly, it is we are up against, nor if the creature is ultimately alone. A bit of caution is in order!" The admonishment comes with the tone of one more accustomed to giving orders than taking them. "It seems as least Mr. Shoto and I are in agreement," he says with a hint of smug self-satisfaction.

Gerhardt creeps after the monk as the stone man scouts ahead, his hand in his vest, nervously fingering the throwing daggers contained within. Should anything happen to the monk, Gerhardt will be ready.

One Tall Fellow fucked around with this message at 00:57 on May 13, 2015

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Augusta Bloodstar

What were they planning to do if they decided that it was too dangerous, turn around and flee? "We already know all we need. They respond poorly to lethal force." Augusta shakes her head. Intel is nice and all but as far as she is concerned they are already committed. "Fine, you go ahead and take a look at it if you are so curious. But if you let yourself get spotted I might just let it carve a piece out of you for ruining our surprise advantage."

"Me, I'll study it closer when it's on the blade of my axe."

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

Monk Shoto, backed by Gerhardt, sneaks against the wall in an attempt to become one with his environment. His terracotta skin acts as the perfect camouflage and he is able to quickly turn the corner and take a glance down the hallway.

He finds what appears to be some kind of underground farm or mining operation. The relatively even walls and floor of the tunnel turn to a rough and craggy patch in which large...stones? appear to be growing. The stones are vaguely opalescent and elliptical, though they vary slightly in shape and size. Most have a thin dusting of diamonds across them. However, these treasures do not draw Shoto's view so much as the figures tending the farm. He counts two, then three, though he suspects that there are more nearby. They are humanoid, two of the three being elven, but each is crippled by some hideous growth. As one steps into the candlelight, Shoto sees what appears to be chunks of stone or coral growing in ugly lumps from their body. His own terracotta skin itches and shivers in repulsion at the idea of this stone fungus? parasite? mutation? spreading across organic tissue. The nearest creature;s entire head is engulfed in the matter, forcing him to support the huge growth with one hand, whilst chinking away at the farm with a pickax in the other. You hear labored, miserable breathing, coming from the holes in the stone growth.

None of the creatures notice you.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
Monk Shoto

Shoto slinks back to the others to report back. "There are at least three, but probably more. Their bodies have been altered by some kind of stone infection." He sees the looks on the faces of his companions and chuckles. "Nothing like myself, I assure you. Their form is brought about through corruption, while mine was forged through enlightenment." He looks to Augusta. "Our element of surprise is maintained. What would you have us do?"

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Augusta Bloodstar

Augusta nods approvingly. "Impressive, I'll have to put more faith in your abilities in the future. There may be some hope for us sorry lot after all." She grins, baring her sharp fangs. "From what you're saying they sure sound a lot more like peasant thralls than sentries, but I wouldn't trust their state of mind to be clear enough to surrender. As for the stone infection, we can't do much but hope that it's not contagious."

She verifies that every strap on her armor is tightened properly and stretches her arms a bit to loosen them up. "If no one else has any more ideas on how to delay the inevitable I say we go in, now. We have to assume they are hostile to us so do not hold back and don't let any of them escape. If we manage to subdue one of them, great, but we are fighting the unknown here, they may be more resilient and vicious than they appear. Now, I ask you again." She picks up her weapon from the ground and grasps it in both hands. "Are you ready?"

Edit: Initiative: 1d20+3 Natural 20, 23! Let's rock!

pre:
Augusta Bloodstar

Command Points 1

Sockerbagarn fucked around with this message at 01:33 on May 14, 2015

One Tall Fellow
Oct 22, 2006

Bow wow best friend.

Bow wow best friend.

Bow wow best friend.
Gerhardt

Gerhardt nods and withdraws a hard case from his rucksack. With a flourish, he withdraws his violin and bow, and returns the case to his pack. "I am satisfied. Blood, or perhaps just parasites, shall be spilled."

The words may seem foolish when paired with his actions, but the half-elf sounds confident.

Initiative: 1d20+7 = 16

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
Monk Shoto

Shoto brings his hands to his chest and begins a breathing exercise, centering himself for the battle to come. It's been centuries since his last fight, however, and it takes him some time to prepare.

Initiative: 1d20+8 12
pre:
Monk Shoto

HP 54/54	-Opening Attack-	Supreme Warrior Discipline
AC 17(0)	Flow Attack		Diamond Soul
PD 19(0)	Finishing Attack	The Willow Bends
MD 15(0)				Become the Dragon

When I get hit by a ranged or close-quarters attack that targets AC or PD, I roll a normal save. 

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Mort

Mort nods to Mr. Deadbody, as the two get ready for the likely fight.

Initiative 1d20+4 19, forgot the 2nd roll but it was lower anyway.

pre:
Mort

Stats		Spells
HP 36/36 	[*] Deathknell (quick)		[ ] The Bones Beneath
AC 14		[*] Chant of Endings		[ ] Ghoul Form
PD 14		[ ] Summon Undead		[ ] Summon Horror
MD 19		[ ] Wave of Decay
Rec 8/8 (4d6-1) 			

Dagger +4 vs AC — 4d4+0 Damage
Chant of Endings +9 vs MD — 4d6+4 negative energy damage.
pre:
Mr. Deadbody 			
Level 4 Skeletal Minion
AC  21
PD  19
MD  15
HP  27
Attack +10 vs AC — 2d6 damage (2d8 when on fire!)

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

Content that the malformed and twisted creatures tending the farm serve as a threat, the party launch into battle. Their initial grants them with an impressive headstart on the fight, though the Monk Shotto freezes temporarily when he notices none of the creatures seem to be responding. They seem aware of the intruders, but care little for them. That is, until someone steps too close to the opalescent rocks in the churned stone. The creatures howl in fury and converge to protect the farms with their rusted tools and bizarre physiologies.

As the slaves crawl and emerge from the rocky outcrops, you realize they are a less homogenously deformed rabble than initially thought. Two of them are so coated in the hideous coral that their skin is all but entirely armored with the growths. Another two are emaciated and wiry, their mouths covered in stone that appears to be starving them, tiny dark tentacles writing from the pores in the stone. One is covered in open wounds that drip ink to the cave floor. The last is bloated and swollen, the fungal growths forming mushroom-like blobs from any orifices, sealing him shut like an over inflated balloon.

The grey circles are the fancy rocks and the slaves don't appear to want you to go near them...
Although there is a path, the rest of the ground is easy to walk on as well.

Initiative

23 Augusta Bloodstar - HP 60/60, AC 21, PD 17, MD 16
22 The Phoenix - HP 48/48, AC 17, PD 14, MD 19
19 Mort - HP 36/36, AC 14, PD 14, MD 19
16 Gerhardt Stonebrook - HP 48/48, AC 17, PD 15, MD 14

13 Plated Slave Blue - HP 54/54, AC 22, PD 18, MD 14
13 Tentacle Slave Pink - HP 54/54, AC 20, PD 18, MD 14
13 Seeping Slave Purple - HP 54/54, AC 20, PD 18, MD 14
12 Monk Shoto - HP 54/54, AC 17, PD 19, MD 15
11 Plated Slave Red - HP 54/54, AC 22, PD 18, MD 14
11 Tentacle Slave Green - HP 54/54, AC 20, PD 18, MD 14
11 Swollen Slave Orange - HP 72/72, AC 18, PD 16, MD 12
+0 Escalation Die

Captain_Indigo fucked around with this message at 22:08 on May 14, 2015

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
The Phoenix

Mindlessly the Phoenix steps forward, though it seems she is barely acknowledging the threat around her. Eventually she stops, closing her eyes as she stands still for a moment. When she opens again, there is a fire behind her eyes.

(Standard action: Focus.)
(Escalation die is 0, not possible for Grace.)

pre:
The Phoenix

Stats		Spells (Interrupt)	  Trigger
HP 48/48 	[*] Better Yet, Here	  Ally hits, but does not crit
AC 17		[ ] Bitter Lessons	  Enemy misses an Ally
PD 14		[ ] Diversion of Pain	  5th Lv. Enemy targets Ally
MD 19		[ ] Moment of Karma	  Enemy hits Me
Rec 8/8 (4d6+2)	[ ] Timely Mistake	  Enemy hits with odd Attack
  Focus?	[*] Strike, Last Breath	  Ally drops from Enemy attack
Yes|Ret|No	[ ] Otherworld Flame	  Enemy attacks me
Basic Attack: +8 vs AC, 4d8+4 damage	  Rebuke: +8 vs MD/PD, 3d6+Wis psychic/fire
Hewer of Truth: On Spell hit vs engaged enemy, take 4 ongoing. 
Twisting Flames: Target lower MD/PD. If PD, fire damage, and gain +4 THP.
Focused Spellcasting: If retain focus, +2 to all defenses until SoNT
Reborn Grace: If d6>d8>d10>d12>d20 <= Escalation, gain extra Standard action.

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Augusta Bloodstar

Augusta scans the room quickly and her face is twisted in disgust as she spots the creatures for the first time. "I've seen some repulsive things in my life, but this takes the loving prize. There's no way they would subject themselves to this willingly. Put an end to their suffering!"

She rushes up to the terrible bloated thrall on their right flank and brings down her Orcish greataxe hard in a diagonal slash over her right shoulder, cutting a deep gash in the fungal matter. "A victory for us is a victory for everyone, push the attack!" drat it was good to be fighting for something again.

Move to engage Swollen Slave Orange.

Attack Swollen Slave Orange: 1d20+8 22 vs AC, hit! 4d10+4 26 damage.

Fight From the Front: 1d4 Gain 3 command points.

Sitting on a lot of command points now. Try Again lets you reroll a missed attack and Hit Harder lets you reroll any damage dice (you don't have to reroll all of them but you do need to keep the rerolled result).

Ryuujin and One Tall Fellow, I haven't seen you much on IRC, it'd be cool if you'd hang out there. It's good for table-talk and it'd especially help in combat since we have two classes that are very reactive.

pre:
Augusta Bloodstar

Command Points 4

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
The Phoenix

In an instant, the Phoenix turned her head and outstretched her arm as Augusta attacked. Pointing a finger at the swolen slave, the fire sparked in her eye and then faded. It wasn't clear what she did, but Augusta's attack seemed to do a lot more harm than it initially seemed.

Better Yet, Here: 1d20+8 23 Hit 4d6+4 19 extra damage to Augusta's attack.

pre:
The Phoenix

Stats		Spells (Interrupt)	  Trigger
HP 48/48 	[*] Better Yet, Here	  Ally hits, but does not crit
AC 17		[ ] Bitter Lessons	  Enemy misses an Ally
PD 14		[ ] Diversion of Pain	  5th Lv. Enemy targets Ally
MD 19		[ ] Moment of Karma	  Enemy hits Me
Rec 8/8 (4d6+2)	[ ] Timely Mistake	  Enemy hits with odd Attack
  Focus?	[*] Strike, Last Breath	  Ally drops from Enemy attack
Yes|Ret|No	[ ] Otherworld Flame	  Enemy attacks me
Basic Attack: +8 vs AC, 4d8+4 damage	  Rebuke: +8 vs MD/PD, 3d6+Wis psychic/fire
Hewer of Truth: On Spell hit vs engaged enemy, take 4 ongoing. 
Twisting Flames: Target lower MD/PD. If PD, fire damage, and gain +4 THP.
Focused Spellcasting: If retain focus, +2 to all defenses until SoNT
Reborn Grace: If d6>d8>d10>d12>d20 <= Escalation, gain extra Standard action.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Mort

Mort watches the carnage brought upon the swollen slave, he removes his cigarette and speaks. "Mr. Deadbody if you would." The skeleton then moves up the injured swollen thing and claws it, weakly.

Mort shakes his head, says something in an odd language. It almost sounds musical, or chantlike, but it is cold. Harsh. It almost feels as if the words would leech all heat, all strength, all life from one's body. And the swollen slave falls to its knees. Almost finished. It looks up and Mort locks eyes, or eye sockets, with it. And then the spark of life that still filled its eyes fades, it almost seems as if it leaves the body and flits over to Mort, joining the sparkle in his eye sockets.

The creature falls over dead, and Mort speaks, "Good job team, five more to go." Then he replaces the cigarette.

Have Mr. Deadbody move on up to Swollen Slave Orange and attack.
Mr Deadbody claw vs AC of Swollen Slave Orange 1d20+10 27 for 2d6 4 damage.

Then Mort
Standard: Chant of Endings vs MD of lowest HP nearby enemy 1d20+9 27 for 4d6+4 16 negative energy damage.
Quick Action: Deathknell 10 damage to the Swollen Slave Orange which should be within the 10 hp range. Killing it, and if there was anyone to need healing I could have someone heal 1d10 hp.
Move Action->Quick Action set Mr Deadbody on Fire for next round.

Man so many things changed while I was working on this post, had to keep changing what I did.

pre:
Mort

Stats		Spells
HP 36/36 	[*] Deathknell (quick)		[ ] The Bones Beneath
AC 14		[*] Chant of Endings		[ ] Ghoul Form
PD 14		[ ] Summon Undead		[ ] Summon Horror
MD 19		[ ] Wave of Decay
Rec 8/8 (4d6-1) 			

Dagger +4 vs AC — 4d4+0 Damage
Chant of Endings +9 vs MD — 4d6+4 negative energy damage.
pre:
Mr. Deadbody 			ON FIRE!
Level 4 Skeletal Minion
AC  21
PD  19
MD  15
HP  27/27
Attack +10 vs AC — 2d6 damage (2d8 when on fire!)

One Tall Fellow
Oct 22, 2006

Bow wow best friend.

Bow wow best friend.

Bow wow best friend.
Gerhardt

His allies rush into battle around him, but for a moment, Gerhardt stands still. He raises the violin to his chin and begins to play the opening strains of Hillenbrandt's Sonata No. 8 (not that he expected his compatriots to recognize the work of such an underrated composer). The piece is strong, sweet, and invigorating -- it calls to mind images of epic deeds and heroes of old. Gerhardt plays Song of Heroes, Quick action.

As the skaldic magics take hold of the piece and continue it, Gerhardt lowers his instrument and takes up his blade. The others having defeated the swollen thing, Gerhardt decides to rush at one of the plated creatures and delivers a raking blow across what is ostensibly the thing's chest. What foul ichors drip forth! True battle is quite different from the hunting trips of his youth, but the half-elf finds it just as exhilirating.

Move to engage Plated Slave Blue

Attack: 1d20+7 = 26 vs AC 22. Hit! Damage: 4d8+3 = 23

I've never used IRC before, but I will try to get on there when I can. It will be a learning experience for me!

pre:
Gerhardt

Stats		Spells, Songs, and Battle Cries
HP 48/48 	[*] Move It! (Battle Cry)	   [*] Song of Heroes (Quick)
AC 17		[*] Pull It Together! (Battle Cry) [*] Soundburst (Daily)
PD 15		[*] Hang Tough! (Battle Cry)	   [*] Vicious Mockery
MD 14		[*] Charm Person (Daily)           [*] Song of Thunder (Daily, Standard)
Rec 8/8 (4d8+1) 			

Scimitar +7 vs AC — 4d8+3 Damage; 4 Damage on Miss
Throwing Dagger +7 vs AC — 4d4+3 Damage
Song of Heroes (3rd Level) — 11+ to sustain; You and nearby allies gain +1 to attack rolls 
and saves until your next turn. Final Verse, as above, but one ally gets +2 to next attack 
roll this battle.

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

The swollen, lumpy farmer collapses beneath the flurry of attacks, ending with its wretched life being extinguished through the strange death magics of Mort and his accomplice. Its slimy body stops twitching and lays perfectly still for an instant before exploding outwards. Its innards are not wet, but dry like dust. The majority of the explosion is a burst of crunchy mottled shell. From inside, several of the shiny rocks are sent spinning across the ground, one landing at Augusta's feet.

Gerhardt's song radiates through the tunnel, urging on his allies. He makes a dash, dagger in hand, for one of the armored slaves and drags his blade across it. The attack hits home and the creature moans a deep, ugly sigh in response. The bard is pleased with himself, until he hears a cracking sound. Looking down he notices one of the newly released opalescent rocks nearby. It shivers and twitches, rocking on the spot then returns again to its dormant state.

Gerhardt glances up to see the armored slave before him staring down at the stone, his body a display of tense anxiety. When it stops moving, the slave moans and lifts his axe, taking a vicious swing at the bard. The blow is a swift one, an immediately followed by a second! Taking advantage of the bard falling back, the miserable creature leans forward. There is a sickening crack as a chunk of armor seeps away from his shoulder to reveal rotten, water-logged skin from which an ugly brown tentacle burrows and lashes for Gerhardt. Fortunately, whatever stinging cells coat the protuberance fail to permeate his flesh.

Dropping its pickax, one of the slaves whose mouth is covered in thick barnacles crawls for Augusta. It deftly circles the rock it was tending and scuttles forward like no human would move. As it reaches her feet, it rears onto its back legs and a trio of huge thick tentacles spring forth and writhe at her face. She can hear the slave gagging and hurling as they climb his throat to emerge from the holes in the barnacles, but it does not slow his movement. Augusta, unperturbed by the bizarre display, simply slaps the tentacles aside.

The seeping slave leaps over the top of the opalescent stones with a sickly howl, landing at Shotto's feet. He stumbles, nearly collapses, then swings both claws for the terracotta monk. Both attacks claw sparks and dust from the monk, and spurred on by his success, the slave unleashes a hideous tentacle. Though its sting does no damage when it slithers over him, Shotto feels his immense strength slowly sapped from his body! Taking a look at the way in which the ink seeping from the slave's body is burning the cave floor, Shotto gets the impression engaging this particular slave in melee combat may have consequences.

Sorry dude!

Blue Vs Gerhardt AC - Hit! 9 damage!
Blue Vs Gerhardt AC - Hit! 9 damage!
Blue Vs Gerhardt PD - Miss!
Pink Vs Augusta PD - Miss!
Purple Vs Monk Shotto AC - Hit! 9 damage!
Purple Vs Monk Shotto AC - Hit! 9 damage!
Purple Vs Monk Shotto PD - Hit! Shotto is weakened (save ends).

Initiative
23 Augusta Bloodstar - HP 60/60, AC 21, PD 17, MD 16
22 The Phoenix - HP 48/48, AC 17, PD 14, MD 19
16 Gerhardt Stonebrook - HP 30/48, AC 17, PD 15, MD 14
13 Plated Slave Blue - HP 31/54, AC 22, PD 18, MD 14
13 Tentacle Slave Pink - HP 54/54, AC 20, PD 18, MD 14
12 Monk Shoto - HP 36/54, AC (13), PD (15), MD (11) WEAK
11 Tentacle Slave Green - HP 54/54, AC 20, PD 18, MD 14
+0 Escalation Die

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
Monk Shoto

Shoto is caught off guard by the creature. It appears to have numerous grievous wounds, yet they show no sign of slowing it down. Shoto is busy pondering this, barely attempting to defend himself, when Augusta shouts something at him. Shoto hasn't heard the words before but suspects them to be some newer, modern profanities. Regardless, they have the desired affect, and the monk snaps out of it.

He dodges away from the dripping monster and moves towards one whose blood, hopefully, doesn't burn through stone. Still weakened by the earlier assault, the monk adopts one of his more defensive, and reliable forms. A thrust with his naginata just barely strikes the creature, and he finds himself unable to regain his strength as it responds.

Using Augusta's "Get out of there!" to pop free as a quick action. Moving to Tentacle Slave Green and attacking.
Fox Senses Weakness on Green vs AC: 1d20+4 19 4d6+4 16
Miss, but it's a natural even, so I do 4 miss damage. Used an opening attack so I get +1 AC.
Save vs weakened: 1d20+2 10
Did not save. :rip:
pre:
Monk Shoto

HP 36/54	Opening Attack		Supreme Warrior Discipline
AC 18(+1)	-Flow Attack-		Diamond Soul
PD 19(+0)	Finishing Attack	The Willow Bends
MD 15(+0)				Become the Dragon

Flame112 fucked around with this message at 16:26 on May 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

The second of the heavily armored slaves lifts his pick ax and lurches forward towards the gently glowing form of The Phoenix. Whether drawn to her like a moth, or simply acting on malicious impulses, the slave lifts the ax above his head and brings it down in two mighty blows. The first cuts harmlessly through her aura of light, but the second catches her in shoulder.

The slave responds to the monk's attack by spewing forth a pair of thick black tentacles covered in thin white spines. They claw blindly for Shoto's skin, but his new stance allows him to weave between them with expert precision.

The slaves freeze as the ground itself appears to shake. You quickly realize it is just the opals, each rocking as if sharing some psychic geological link. There is a deep rumbling that seems to emanate from inside each one. The slaves respond by shielding themselves from the nearest stones. One of the opals explodes with a shower of shell and stone, unleashing some creature that appears part octopus, part lobster. Its skin is pale, but already coated in ugly barnacles. The creature itself scuttles away and vanishes into a hole in the rocks, but the explosion of shell is a bigger problem. Mr Deadbody and Augusta are both caught in the blast,

Red Vs The Phoenix AC - Miss!
Red Vs The Phoenix AC - Hit! 9 damage!
The eggs move! Only one explodes. Mr Deadbody, Augusta and Pink take 8 damage!
The escalation die increase to +1 [

Initiative
23 Augusta Bloodstar - HP 52/60, AC 21, PD 17, MD 16
22 The Phoenix - HP 39/48, AC 17, PD 14, MD 19
19 Mr Deadbody - HP 19/27, AC 21, PD 19, MD 15
16 Gerhardt Stonebrook - HP 30/48, AC 17, PD 15, MD 14

13 Plated Slave Blue - HP 31/54, AC 22, PD 18, MD 14
13 Tentacle Slave Pink - HP 46/54, AC 20, PD 18, MD 14
12 Monk Shoto - HP 36/54, AC (14), PD (15), MD (11) WEAK